Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL

Roundybout

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think the comment was even racist. It was an incredibly dumb and insensitive comment.

Telling black players, who aren’t from Africa, to go Africa isn’t bad? If someone said that to his kids and told them to go to Korea, how do you think Kim would feel about it?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Telling black players, who aren’t from Africa, to go Africa isn’t bad? If someone said that to his kids and told them to go to Korea, how do you think Kim would feel about it?

Better than "Go back to Olean"?

• Haha (+1) 6

13 minutes ago, Pecos Bills said:

Here's some of the fuller text from the lawsuit, in which an NFL Media reporter describes a separate conversation with Pegula:

126. During the meeting, an NFL Media reporter described a conversation he had with Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula in which Mr. Pegula was speaking about the recent emphasis on social activism by NFL players, and in particular support for Black Lives Matter.

127. As reported, Mr. Pegula stated that, “If the Black players don’t like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it is.” 

https://www.wigdorlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Trotter-Complaint.pdf

Okay, so this is third-hand information? That definitely changes things.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Brother Hesekiah said:

Did you forget the Araiza case already? People can put whatever they want into a court filing. There will be legal consequences if they knowingly make false statements, but by the time that happens the public damage has already been done. 

Yep and I’d this gains traction Terry is guilty.  It’s the way it is anymore 

5 minutes ago, LeviF said:

He heard it secondhand during some kind of NFL media zoom call. The media member who allegedly actually heard this brought it up.

Since it allegedly happened during a video call, I would ask the "media member" if he remembers Terry doing anything in particular while making that statement. If the witness mentions anything about nose blowing and picking, he is likely saying the truth and Terry is guilty. 

12 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Would be shocked if there isn't a recording of a Zoom meeting of NFL owners 

NFL owners meetings are often intended to be confidential:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/sports/nfl-owners-kaepernick.html

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-reportedly-bashed-trump-over-anthem-agenda-in-secret-meeting-last-year/

Edited by Pecos Bills

As an aside this lawsuit reads like a laundry list of anything he could dig up in recent history … real or alleged. 

also… 8/32 GMs are black and that signifies racism? That over indexes the population by 2x. 

Also the named nfl executives seem to demonstrate diversity.

deconstructing his thesis, it sounds something like the % make up of ownership, front offices, etc should be the same proportionate to the locker room- if not discriminatory. 

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

At one point in history it was accepted that every human hold prejudices of some sort.  And we were taught you can't act on your prejudices, you have to overcome that.  Anti-discrimination laws are based on actions, not thoughts.   To be Mr. Pegula's comments (if he made them) are relevent to support an allegation he took some discrimantory action.   But if there is no discriminatory action he too, I am not sure we need to be invoking the thought police to govern his thinking and speech. (even if it is a stupid thing to say)

I have prejudices against people that chew their food way too loudly, use speakerphone in public, and wait until the very last second to merge when a lane ends. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Racism to me is hateful action or speech.

I don’t think the comment is meant to be hateful.

"If the black players don’t like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it really is."

This is a statement of power and privilege. As a billionaire he perceives the United States as a perfect meritocracy system that cannot and should not be improved upon or changed. Progress that would improve the lives of poor and working class Americans is a threat to him and his power and therefore should be denied.

If you're trying to improve the system then you must be trying to take power away from him which could certainly result in statements like "Oh, you don't like how it is here? Then get out and go back to the craphole your kind came from and see how you like it there instead."

If that's not hateful I don't know what is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Pecos Bills said:

Here's some of the fuller text from the lawsuit, in which an NFL Media reporter describes a separate conversation with Pegula:

126. During the meeting, an NFL Media reporter described a conversation he had with Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula in which Mr. Pegula was speaking about the recent emphasis on social activism by NFL players, and in particular support for Black Lives Matter.

127. As reported, Mr. Pegula stated that, “If the Black players don’t like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it is.” 

https://www.wigdorlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Trotter-Complaint.pdf

We're supposed to believe Pegula not only said this out loud... but said it DIRECTLY to an NFL Media Reporter?

Just a couple years after Jerry Richardson was forced to sell his own team? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

Since it allegedly happened during a video call, I would ask the "media member" if he remembers Terry doing anything in particular while making that statement. If the witness mentions anything about nose blowing and picking, he is likely saying the truth and Terry is guilty. 

That's not what it says:

During the meeting, an NFL Media reporter described a conversation he had with Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula in which Mr. Pegula was speaking about the recent emphasis on social activism by NFL players, and in particular support for Black Lives Matter

"A conversation." So a phone call, in person, zoom, could be anything.

I’m not saying he did, but IF he did say it, I hope to hell he didn’t mean it and it was simply a terrible slip of the tongue. However, if it’s proven that he did say it, then he deserves everything coming to him. Especially, saying something like that in that quasi-public setting and after the swift public denial. 

If I recall correctly, I don’t believe this is the first time we’ve heard that Pegula has been linked to some questionable commentary.  That said, while it seems a bit out of character (and, frankly, completely out of touch), would it really surprise anyone if he did say it? Historically, the NFL hasn’t exactly been leading the charge on the social (in)justice front. At least until they either were forced to or they finally started listening to the players’ experiences. 

Edited by Blank Stare
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He's an awkward billionaire who has a history of putting his foot in his mouth. I can absolutely see him saying something like this.

I ant ßee Terry saying it.  I also don't believe Terry is a racist.  Racists typically don't marry a person they would consider to be of a inferior race and then have inferior offspring with that spouse.  And yes one of his daughters did date Jason Croom a black player.  Racists also typically will raise their offspring to hold similar views so that also kinda decreases the likelihood that Terry is a closet racist.  

I think this trotter guy thought he had a sure fire way to get promoted to becoming the newsroom manager and he play the race card because that was easier than actually earning a position he coveted.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

I see no problem with this statement. 

This should go well for you.....

Do you want me to toss you now, or would you rather trash the thread with a bunch of idiotic socio-political commentary first?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

At one point in history it was accepted that every human hold prejudices of some sort.  And we were taught you can't act on your prejudices, you have to overcome that.  Anti-discrimination laws are based on actions, not thoughts.   To be Mr. Pegula's comments (if he made them) are relevent to support an allegation he took some discrimantory action.   But if there is no discriminatory action he too, I am not sure we need to be invoking the thought police to govern his thinking and speech. (even if it is a stupid thing to say)

His argument is that he was fired because the NFL is full of racists. That is an action. These statements are meant to corroborate that allogation. Notice that he is not suing Terry Pegula. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.