Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL

Roundybout

15 minutes ago, Phils n Bills said:

I have prejudices against people that chew their food way too loudly, use speakerphone in public, and wait until the very last second to merge when a lane ends

As does most of WNY.  It's called "zippering" and it is the most efficient way to funnel cars through a lane reduction when there is traffic.  The aversion to allowing people to zipper or, frankly, do anything other than painfully shove cars into a single-file line more quickly than necessary might be the worst feature of driving in this area.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He didn't tell the players to go back to Korea....

No but he's being portrayed as a racist.  Typically racists aren't selective over finding other races inferior.  Their very nature has them believing their own race is superior to any others.  And frankly I don't believe Terry ever said any such thing so he didn't tell the players to go back to Africa either. 

• Agree 1

so trotter is saying that he (trotter) heard some person (nfl reporter) say in a zoom call that pegula said this?

is there (according to the article or whatever) a recording of this call, the name of the person who said they heard pegula, or any details of when/where pegula said this?

i've got to think if an nfl reporter heard pegula say that, especially in like summer of 2020, it woulda come out, no?

also, is there a requirement for trotter to disclose who he heard this from, and when/where the call was?

• Like (+1) 1

I have no idea if Pegula said this or didn't.  Plus I have no personal knowledge of, or experience with him.

If he did, it's despicable.

If he didn't, it's a despicable lie.

Having said that, it is true that some older people start to lose their filters. ( Ask anyone who has lots of experience with seniors ).

And while I am not trying to add fuel to the fire, I wish somebody could be more definitive about Leslie Frazier's  leaving the team.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why didn’t you use GMs/ coaches to make your point? 

are you saying the only way to get more minority representation is to own a team? 

Can I ask why you think there is over representation of minorities (edit to add playing) in the NFL? I feel like that would go a long way towards realizing why there is a mismatch here.

Edited by What a Tuel

Just now, colin said:

so trotter is saying that he (trotter) heard some person (nfl reporter) say in a zoom call that pegula said this?

is there (according to the article or whatever) a recording of this call, the name of the person who said they heard pegula, or any details of when/where pegula said this?

i've got to think if an nfl reporter heard pegula say that, especially in like summer of 2020, it woulda come out, no?

also, is there a requirement for trotter to disclose who he heard this from, and when/where the call was?

I'm guessing all those questions will have to be answered, but that it's going to take a long-assed time.

25 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Okay, so this is third-hand information? That definitely changes things.

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

No he didn't. A reporter quoted the 'comment' to the room, it wasn't Pegula himself.

I re read it and I think this is right. The first time I read it I interpreted it as the owner was on the zoom. 

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

NFL Players, GM’s coaches and owners typically have completely different populations that they originate from. 

Something like half% of nhl players are Canadian… are half of the nhl owners? 

"Canadian" is not typically described as a race. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why didn’t you use GMs/ coaches to make your point? 

are you saying the only way to get more minority representation is to own a team? 

Nope, I’m asking why this proportionality standard makes any sense. 

there are woman owners and execs in the nfl, but 0% of the players are… the proportionality argument is completely inconsistent and only invoked when convenient.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, colin said:

No. That would come out in discovery/depos, which would be some time down the line from the initial Complaint.

1 minute ago, colin said:

It was a call full of people who worked for nfl.com and/or the NFL Network. The nature of the complaint is that Trotter reported this to his employer (The NFL) and they didn't allow him to pursue the story. 

3 minutes ago, Avisan said:

As does most of WNY.  It's called "zippering" and it is the most efficient way to funnel cars through a lane reduction when there is traffic.  The aversion to allowing people to zipper or, frankly, do anything other than painfully shove cars into a single-file line more quickly than necessary might be the worst feature of driving in this area.

I always knew Zippering as a painful and unfortunate catching of the winky when done using a urinal.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Simon said:

I'm guessing all those questions will have to be answered, but that it's going to take a long-assed time.

anything is possible, but after gruden got taken down, and that was him red handed with emails (LOL, so boomer) that someone was sitting on for a while, i just don't know how the nfl media reporter, who is willing to say this outloud on a zoom call (which you presume is recorded, you'd have to think reporters would know that), would not leak this or report it themselves.

i suppose this could be how that got leaked/reported or whatever, but it just seems uncanny.

3 minutes ago, colin said:

Not quite. In a call of NFL reporters, an unnamed NFL reporter told the group that Pegula made the alleged comment privately to the unnamed reporter. Trotter then took up offense and is now quoting Pegula third hand.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Do Bills fans 100% in Terry's corner feel the same way about Trotter's comments toward Jerry Jones? They're all bull####?

The guy is a well-respected reporter. Not sure what his incentive is to lie. 

Gee I don’t know maybe money??? Did you miss the part where he’s suing the league???

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Do Bills fans 100% in Terry's corner feel the same way about Trotter's comments toward Jerry Jones? They're all bull####?

Trotter heard the comment second hand from a reporter who is anonymous in the lawsuit. He did not hear it from Pegula himself.

It may be the same with Jones; haven't seen that bit of the suit.

5 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

No but he's being portrayed as a racist.  Typically racists aren't selective over finding other races inferior.  Their very nature has them believing their own race is superior to any others.  And frankly I don't believe Terry ever said any such thing so he didn't tell the players to go back to Africa either. 

So you're saying a white guy who marries an Asian woman cannot be prejudiced and hold racist thoughts towards blacks?

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know if he said it or not but unless this was recorded or multiple people say they heard Pegula say it, I‘m siding with Terry.

1 minute ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Is he also lying about Jerry Jones then?

Do you know he’s telling the truth?

Here's the verbiage from the actual complaint:

D. The NFL Takes No Action in Response to Racist Conduct by Buffalo Bills Team Owner Terry PegulaComplaints “Swept Under the Rug.”

125. On September 3, 2020, a large NFL Media zoom meeting was held which included approximately 40 newsroom employees. The purpose of the meeting, during the middle of the pandemic, was to connect people who were not working together in-person and discuss various stories people were working on.

126. During the meeting, an NFL Media reporter described a conversation he had with Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula in which Mr. Pegula was speaking about the recent emphasis on social activism by NFL players, and in particular support for Black Lives Matter.

127. As reported, Mr. Pegula stated that, “If the Black players don’t like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it is.” This remark was so offensive and racist that the people in the meeting appeared to be frozen, unsure how to even react.

128. Mr. Trotter would not stand by and spoke up. In front of everyone in attendance, Mr. Trotter asked Mr. Marvel and Mr. Sperry if there was going to be a discussion about what Mr. Pegula had said given that it was so highly offensive and racist. They responded that they would speak to the reporter about it further and decide how to handle the matter. 

129. Thereafter, Mr. Trotter sought out Mr. Marvel and Mr. Jurenka on a near weekly basis about what was being done to address Mr. Pegula’s discriminatory remarks. Mr. Trotter was repeatedly brushed off and told that “the league office is investigating it.”

130. However, this went on for months and Mr. Trotter never received any further update beyond this superficial statement. Notably, no one from the NFL’s league office ever reached out to Mr. Trotter to interview him in connection with any supposed “investigation” that was supposedly ongoing. Clearly it was not a priority to investigate an NFL team owner’s discriminatory animus and discriminatory remarks in conversations with employees.

131. Nearly one year after the incident, Mr. Marvel told Mr. Trotter that the league had provided him with a response. He told Mr. Trotter: “New York says it’s an HR matter and that’s the end of it.”

132. Thus, in response to an allegation by an employee (the reporter) and complaint by another employee (Mr. Trotter) that an NFL owner (an employer) made racist remarks that ridiculed Black players (also employees) for their social activism, the NFL did absolutely nothing.

133. Mr. Trotter said to Mr. Marvel, “So we are sweeping this under the rug?” Mr. Marvel responded, “I can only tell you what I’ve been told.”If there is any evidence - he deserves all that is coming.

Edited by DasNootz
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Trotter heard the comment second hand from a reporter who is anonymous in the lawsuit. He did not hear it from Pegula himself.

It may be the same with Jones; haven't seen that bit of the suit.

That part came from an alleged conversation directly between Trotter and Jones at the Hall of Fame game in 2020.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nope, I’m asking why this proportionality standard makes any sense. 

there are woman owners and execs in the nfl, but 0% of the players are… the proportionality argument is completely inconsistent and only invoked when convenient.  

Wait did you just compare playing a sport to coaching and being an executive? You know that is an insane comparison right???

every single person has a chance to play football. Not all are good enough to make the nfl. Not everyone is given the opportunities Todd Haley got (college golfer, dad was an executive with the Steelers). There are many examples of this (see the St Francis connection). These guys are getting opportunities that others are simply because of who they know rather than their ability at first. 

I lean more towards nepotism and cronyism than racism. But to compare being s player to coaching/ Executive is wild.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I don’t know if he said it or not but unless this was recorded or multiple people say they heard Pegula say it, I‘m siding with Terry.

Do you know he’s telling the truth?

I don't know either way.

I certainly don't believe Terry is the saint some think he is.

The amount of criticism he is receiving and the lack of criticism Jerry Jones is receiving is odd. 

3 minutes ago, Avisan said:

I strongly disagree. Yes “

zippering “

is efficient if done correctly - namely approaching a highway from an on ramp at a lower speed ( these usu have posted speed limits of 35 mph or so which  are routinely ignored) and fitting in to a space behind the oncoming vehicle - that’s why extra space is provided to perform this maneuver) not barreling up the ramp at 60 + mph then cutting off the oncoming vehicle . As for a lane reduction , the same applies - one is supposed to heed the sign warning of the oncoming lane reduction a mile or two up the road and get over into the other lane. WNY drivers ride the closing lane out until the last possible second then try to get over causing traffic jams . Plenty of space to switch lanes is provided - albeit at a slightly reduced rate of acceleration. Much of our society is simply too self absorbed in their entitlement bubble to afford this simple instruction intended to make the driving experience easier for everyone. Following instructions has become an option for “ everyone else” to adhere to , unfortunately. 

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Let me ask you - would he be lying if he alleged a quote given to him by a colleague who has fewer scruples? Wouldn't the original person who attributes this quote to Pegula come right out to support Trotter publicly? This doesn't appear to be sealed at all, so there should be no reason for the person who witnessed or experienced this exchange to hold back...unless they themselves know that there will be several colleagues who correct the record and destroy their own reputation (and potentially Trotter's to a much lesser extent).

Edited by pocoboy
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.