Can James Cook break a tackle, ever?!?!

zow2

On 9/11/2023 at 11:52 PM, zow2 said:

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

Would be nice. No one ever wants to take a quality guy like BIJAN ROBINSON, BUT LOOK AT a mediocre talent laden team like the falcons , who are 2-0 as BIJAN has 170 yards from scrimmage , i heard quoted today, in each of those games.  Guy does not go down or OOB with the breeze.  Still , we saw glimpses of power running today.  It was so great and something we have never had under the beane /mcd staff.  They are great but i just hope they stay focused on what it takes to win when the circumstances affect passing. We saw what too much ineffective passing can result in week one.   COOK. Is a good college back , but a little light in the pros. Great job today tho with Dorsey mixing it up well.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Would be nice. No one ever wants to take a quality guy like BIJAN ROBINSON, BUT LOOK AT a mediocre talent laden team like the falcons , who are 2-0 as BIJAN has 170 yards from scrimmage , i heard quoted today, in each of those games.  Guy does not go down or OOB with the breeze.  Still , we saw glimpses of power running today.  It was so great and something we have never had under the beane /mcd staff.  They are great but i just hope they stay focused on what it takes to win when the circumstances affect passing. We saw what too much ineffective passing can result in week one.   COOK. Is a good college back , but a little light in the pros. Great job today tho with Dorsey mixing it up well.  

Its the OL, always was. Cook wouldve looked better last year behind this above avg line, as opposed to last years bottom 10 OL

That said, he certainly looked like a guy that can start today. I know the Raiders arent the Jets defense, but holy shizzz, we lined up in big formations and ran the ball successfully when 71k ppl knew a power run was coming.  Cooks just getting started and so is this OL who needs serious time to gel after major shakeups. Get these 2units firing close to ceiling by January and defenses are going to be stresseddddddddd

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

get this noise outta here

dude has legit speed.

Yep. That burst shined Sunday.

Having the multipronged threat of Murray and Harris , who each bring a different "look" to the equation is going to be a lot of fun to watch if Dorsey can keep his laptop intact.

As I mentioned in some other threads, Our O Line had been waiting to get a consistently called run game going.

We just saw it.

Balanced and smart wins football games. Fact

all 3 backs had opportunities from the O line etc. And made use of them.

Give me more.

Go Go James !

7 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

get this noise outta here

dude has legit speed.

Vision,  hands. He is coming along nicely. Expect more plays from him this season 👍

On 9/11/2023 at 10:52 PM, zow2 said:

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

He's also 20 lbs heavier & a different kind of runner than Cook & that is why they brought in Harris & Murray .

On 9/17/2023 at 8:12 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

Its the OL, always was. Cook wouldve looked better last year behind this above avg line, as opposed to last years bottom 10 OL

That said, he certainly looked like a guy that can start today. I know the Raiders arent the Jets defense, but holy shizzz, we lined up in big formations and ran the ball successfully when 71k ppl knew a power run was coming.  Cooks just getting started and so is this OL who needs serious time to gel after major shakeups. Get these 2units firing close to ceiling by January and defenses are going to be stresseddddddddd

And he still averaged 5.7 ypc.  

I’m not saying he’ll be as good as Jamal Charles, but he reminds me of him.  Dangerous 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, I just think Dalvin is a much stronger back.  The burst and locks swaying is similar though.  

The kid can get the corner with the best of them.  Once we get the big smooth implemented properly, the sky’s the limit for this O.  Diggs, kingcaid and cook could be a solid big 3.  Add knox, Gabe and the misfits.  It’s all on Spencer brown!  

14 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He really resembled Vikings Dalvin Cook against the Raiders

• Like (+1) 1

I thought he started the game quite slow with back to back poor/mediocre runs on our opening 3 and out. It looked like he was benched after that as Murray got the next few series and ran with some VIOLENCE.  

Then Cook came back in and played great rest of the game. Maybe he needs that fire under his ass

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

I like the way Cook runs. It’s very unique. When he’s at the end of a run it’s almost as if he falls forward but not in a conventional way. He gets low and like slides forward and down. But it seems to always add a yard or two. Fred used to do something similar but he almost like tackled the guy tackling him and would go down forward. Cook will be stopped at 2 yards but like slide fall real low and make it 4. It’s hard to explain. He’s slippery or something.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I like the way Cook runs. It’s very unique. When he’s at the end of a run it’s almost as if he falls forward but not in a conventional way. He gets low and like slides forward and down. But it seems to always add a yard or two. Fred used to do something similar but he almost like tackled the guy tackling him and would go down forward. Cook will be stopped at 2 yards but like slide fall real low and make it 4. It’s hard to explain. He’s slippery or something.

Yep, he uses his small stature to his advantage.... seems to get low and just slither forward for a yard or two. The thing Iove most is how few negative runs there are compared to Singletary because he has the speed to make a man miss in the backfield. He has had one of those in each game where a defender penetrates and thinks "I've got him here for a 4 or 5 yard loss" and Cook has the agility and speed to bounce around the edge and turn it into a gain.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

So I think there is a huge difference between "yards after contact" and "breaking tackles"

On 9/17/2023 at 8:59 PM, Richard Noggin said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxUE985uiG7/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

(Video of him breaking a tackle on a 37-yard run.)

When I think of breaking tackles. I think of arms around or near the waist.. getting out of a secured foot lock for more yards. 

The first real tackle attempt was a horrible one. he clipped the one leg and I don't know if I would categorize that as "breaking a tackle. 

He was never touched at the LOS. and after the poor ankle tackle try he was never touched again till he got tackled. 

there is one thing for sure though. as long as he has that speed and shiftiness in him.. he will be a special player. 

I still think right now this is a pass first league and that is why HB's are suffering with low contracts... but things go in circles.. If Buffalo can sustain this kind of running game that IS NOT coming from JA? Then this offense will jump into a whole new level. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So I think there is a huge difference between "yards after contact" and "breaking tackles"

When I think of breaking tackles. I think of arms around or near the waist.. getting out of a secured foot lock for more yards. 

The first real tackle attempt was a horrible one. he clipped the one leg and I don't know if I would categorize that as "breaking a tackle. 

He was never touched at the LOS. and after the poor ankle tackle try he was never touched again till he got tackled. 

there is one thing for sure though. as long as he has that speed and shiftiness in him.. he will be a special player. 

I still think right now this is a pass first league and that is why HB's are suffering with low contracts... but things go in circles.. If Buffalo can sustain this kind of running game that IS NOT coming from JA? Then this offense will jump into a whole new level. 

Ah so broken tackles only count if they are good tackles? Interesting. Wonder how many NFL running backs are routinely breaking out of good tackles?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah so broken tackles only count if they are good tackles? Interesting. Wonder how many NFL running backs are routinely breaking out of good tackles?

And no credit to backs for being shifty enough to have an arm tackle instead of getting wrapped up fully 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

You are completely removing his ability to take on contact.  The reason you don’t get clean tackles on him because Cook keeps them on skates….that shouldn’t be held against him.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Dorsey played it well against the Raiders.  Early on when Cook was finding his way, he turned to a bit of Latavius Murray and then Harris.  When Cook started getting the hot hand he fed James.  That's how a good OC will handle it.   Cook is the slippery and quick RB in the room so he has the homerun potential.  It was great to see how hard they all ran and how Dorsey used them.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep, he uses his small stature to his advantage.... seems to get low and just slither forward for a yard or two. The thing Iove most is how few negative runs there are compared to Singletary because he has the speed to make a man miss in the backfield. He has had one of those in each game where a defender penetrates and thinks "I've got him here for a 4 or 5 yard loss" and Cook has the agility and speed to bounce around the edge and turn it into a gain.

I still wish we wouldn't run him on like 9 draws a game.  Occasionally they tackle him and its like a 4 yard loss.  

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Dorsey played it well against the Raiders.  Early on when Cook was finding his way, he turned to a bit of Latavius Murray and then Harris.  When Cook started getting the hot hand he fed James.  That's how a good OC will handle it.   Cook is the slippery and quick RB in the room so he has the homerun potential.  It was great to see COOK BREAK TACKLES AND MAKE THIS THREAD LEGENDARY.

I fixed that for you

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I still wish we wouldn't run him on like 9 draws a game.  Occasionally they tackle him and its like a 4 yard loss.  

7 YPC on draws... That's incredible. Although the Raiders game was surely responsible for most of that success. We'll have to see if it continues.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A better question is can anyone on defense prevent Cook from turning the corner. He is really quick and elusive. He has given the run game a real boost. His production has increased with the departure of Motor and he’s delivered. Throw in some nice short yardage runs by Harris and Murray and we’re looking at a legitimate dimension for Josh to have teams thinking about. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yea there have been fewer losses for sure, but the draws are often the plays stopped for no to minimal game. The reason they do it is because they are trying to make their runs and passes look the same but they are more effective under centre or in the pistol. 

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

7 YPC on draws... That's incredible. Although the Raiders game was surely responsible for most of that success. We'll have to see if it continues.

Yea that is better than I'd have expected. 

11 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Cook sucks. Not a popular opinion among the masses here but it'll become more apparent as the season wears on.

IMG_7529.jpeg

On 9/17/2023 at 8:06 PM, GreggTX said:

Cook is a gadget player, but a very good one. They probably should have waited until round 3 to draft him.

I miss the days when you were warning us how bad Josh Allen is 🤣

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.