Why Are We Not Winning Superbowls?

Milanos Milano

On 9/2/2023 at 1:48 PM, Araiza Curse said:

I mean this is a fair take, but don’t other Super Bowl champion QBs also have to play hard teams to get there? So what sets them apart. What seems the most odd is how an unathletic Brady can win 7. What is the secret sauce? It must be that he was just elite in the game film to diagnose defenses. 

I mean, I think that’s why there’s only one goat , and Brady not giving away anything!!! 

Now that there’s no 2 seed bye, the 1 seed is an absolutely massive advantage.  Imo regular season results get completely discounted when talking playoffs but they really shouldn’t be. 

2021-2022 the path was clear and we just blew too many regular season games. We beat the bills up for not being able to beat the chiefs when we really have played better than anyone visiting arrowhead. 

the josh slander is getting a bit out of control around here…dude has been carrying a bad-somewhat mediocre offensive line for 5 years. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 hours ago, Billl said:

The Bills still punted 4 times in 9 possessions that game compared to 2 punts in 11 possessions for the Chiefs.  13 seconds was a debacle, but if the Bills had scored on any of those 4 possessions, 13 seconds never happens.

KC had a missed FG and missed XP that game.  .....not that it is important in the crucible of the moment...the circumstances for the Bills were infact, being 13 seconds away from advancing (and in my mind, going on to win the SB) ....but if we are talking about how it might have been....KC's poor special teams play during the early parts of the game made it come down to needing an improbably FG as it were.

1 hour ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

Josh Allen has already explained why many times...it's because only ONE team gets to win it and 31 others don't🤷‍♂️

Get used to that one. You’re going to hear it a lot 

4 hours ago, Billl said:

The Bills still punted 4 times in 9 possessions that game compared to 2 punts in 11 possessions for the Chiefs.  13 seconds was a debacle, but if the Bills had scored on any of those 4 possessions, 13 seconds never happens.

*gasp*  never let facts get in the way of a good narrative 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seasons for playoff calibre teams often come down to a handful of plays that fall one way or another.  

most of it has to do with preparation, conditioning and execution.

BUT

some of that is luck

some of that is a missed call by a ref

………..

also: tuck rule, inflate gate, spying, laces out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Burroes?! Why do people have such a hard time writing Burrow? Not only do they want to change it to Burrows for no apparent reason, but we are now misspelling the misspelling?!

Lol I misspelled it because the e is right next to the w and I have fat fingers lol.. and Burrow just sounds wrong in the sentence. 

30 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Tha narrative that if one team has scored more, the game wouldn't have been tied at the end? Groundbreaking analysis 

I believe the narrative is that 13 seconds spoiled a perfect offensive performance.  The fact that they punted on 44% of their possessions puts the lie to that narrative.  I also believe you’re smart enough to have known that but lack the ability not to respond with some non-sequitur while simultaneously insulting the poster who had the audacity to make a truthful statement that hurt your feelings.

19 hours ago, Success said:

I'd be curious about the "film" comment, if Josh ever made it.  I saw it mentioned here & elsewhere - but have a hard time believing I would have missed that if he said it.  The media would have run w/ that for a bit, imo.

JA's improvement over the course of his young NFL career has been astounding to me - he's such a different QB today than he was his 1st couple of years.  That's work. That's not just him slumming it & relying on his skills, which he has always had.

I  think Whitlock was trying to get some attention - and it worked.  But I don't think his commentary has much to do w/ reality.  Especially the comment that JA doesn't have that "dawg" in him. Cripes.

your curiosity is well founded, @Success, and @Zerovoltz, your assumption about his film watching comment is wrong (and thats fine, but FYI). For the dumb dumbs (such as KDiggz) that have heard the comment and still think there's an issue, none of us can help you fools. But the context of the comment was about watching film, specifically of a team like the Jets. What he was saying essentially was that he doesn't want to get TOO caught up in relying on film tendencies of a team (ie. when we come out in a wide spread with these guys on the field and run this play, the Jets are always going to react a certain way...). So he likes to blend knowing what they do as a reaction on film with what he see's ON the field with his eyes. Because teams will bait you with that sh*t. Why this seems to be so difficult for some people to grasp is beyond me.

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Tha narrative that if one team has scored more, the game wouldn't have been tied at the end? Groundbreaking analysis 

Why would a narrative also be the conclusion of a unique analysis? 

need to ask mods about a sub forum with a minimum iq threshold. Seems like everyone would win. 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Why would a narrative also be the conclusion of a unique analysis? 

need to ask mods about a sub forum with a minimum iq threshold. Seems like everyone would win. 

Yes, you and the guy you quoted could hang out there in bewilderment not realizing the perfect offensive game was the Patriots the week prior 😂😂😂

52 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, you and the guy you quoted could hang out there in bewilderment not realizing the perfect offensive game was the Patriots the week prior 😂😂😂

McDermott and Frazier screwed the Bills out of a trophy with 13 seconds against the Patriots?  

On 9/2/2023 at 1:40 PM, mrags said:

His game didn’t seem to have any holes in it until McDermott and Frazier screwed him and Bills fans out of a Lombardi Trophy with .13 seconds. Just sayin 

6 hours ago, Billl said:

So in your opinion Josh Allen did not play well enough to win that game?

On 9/2/2023 at 2:17 PM, Araiza Curse said:

I want to spin this off from the Josh is lazy thread, and really debate this at face value. Let’s look at other QBs and their “work ethic” “talent abilities” and compare them to get a better idea of why. Let’s start with Tom Brady. 

Everyone here knows that Tom Brady is one of the least athletic QBs and yet he always had solid statistics and always knew where to place the ball. 

Everyone here knows that Josh Allen is one of the most athletic QBs. 

Josh has admitted he isn’t big into game film. But the more you dig into what it takes to be great, the more concerning that seems to be. How is it that Tom Brady can win so many super bowls with lower tier athleticism and arm strength and yet Josh Allen with his superior skill set has been unable to win even 1 Super Bowl? 

Tom Brady never really had a true #1 WR for an extended period of time outside of Moss, and yet he still always managed to keep the chains moving and put up points enough to win games. 

Josh Allen has had a true #1 WR for an extended period of time Diggs, and yet still unable to get over the hump. 

So I think questions around Allen’s “laziness” is warranted. Why should an elite talented QB be struggling more than a non elite talented QB?  

The only real difference is football IQ and studying the game to the point were you can attack and become a master despite not having elite traits. 

Maybe I’m wrong in this thinking, and others can chime in. But things do seem to not add up. 

I mean where else can you get hot takes like these? I love this place!!!

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's not my opinion at all.  Both QBs played well enough to win.  That's how it works in the postseason.  He played an incredible game, but Mahomes was even better.  The Bills had 9 possessions and punted 4 times. 

You punt 4 times against Mahomes, and you might lose.  The same is true of Allen.  The Chiefs had 11 possessions.  They punted twice.  Chiefs win.  A week later, the Chiefs punted four times.  Cincinnati punted three times.  Bengals win.  

Again, 13 seconds was a disaster.  Had the Bills scored on one of the four possessions that ended with punts, it never would have happened.  Both of these things are true.  Josh was amazing.  Patrick was better.

26 minutes ago, Billl said:

He played an incredible game, but Mahomes was even better.

My favorite Mahomes play was when he threw a 10 yard crosser that became a 60 yard TD. Only someone that spends 16 hours a day watching film could have pulled that one off.

In all seriousness I don't know of anyone that agrees with you here, not just among Bills fans. The common belief is that Allen got screwed out of a win by his defense and by a coin flip.

But I'm glad we got your opinion on the record.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The question of whether Mahomes or Allen played "better" in the 13 seconds game comes down more to if you're someone who celebrates stats, or someone who looks at more intangibles (imo).

Allen outplayed Mahomes when it counted.  But his team lost, and that's football.

Edited by Success

27 minutes ago, Billl said:

That's not my opinion at all.  Both QBs played well enough to win.  That's how it works in the postseason.  He played an incredible game, but Mahomes was even better.  The Bills had 9 possessions and punted 4 times. 

You punt 4 times against Mahomes, and you might lose.  The same is true of Allen.  The Chiefs had 11 possessions.  They punted twice.  Chiefs win.  A week later, the Chiefs punted four times.  Cincinnati punted three times.  Bengals win.  

Again, 13 seconds was a disaster.  Had the Bills scored on one of the four possessions that ended with punts, it never would have happened.  Both of these things are true.  Josh was amazing.  Patrick was better.

I haven't been following this argument today but how has it evolved to an argument that Allen and the Bills offense was not perfect enough now, despite having five TD's in regulation (one more than the Chiefs had in regulation BTW) all while coming off of literally a perfect offensive performance the week prior? The Chiefs only punted twice but they also failed to get the ball in the endzone at a higher rate. That meant they needed the 13 second miracle at the end of regulation and the powers that be came through. 

I would think by now we would have all moved onto criticizing the defense which consistently underperforms in the postseason. But no, let's take a deep dive into why the Bills offense only generated 5 TD's on 9 possessions and failed to generate 6 TD's on 9 possession a week after having 7 TD's on 7 possessions. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Billl said:

Josh was amazing.  Patrick was better.

I am probably one of the few on here that can admit Mahomes is the best qb in the NFL right now. And the Chiefs have moved on from that 13 sec game and won another Super Bowl.

With that said why are you on a Bills forum touting your guy over our guy in a game that obviously most Bills fans considered the team’s best chance at a championship? Why would you need to contest something like this when you’re part of a fanbase that’s sitting on 2 championships in the last five years? Seems kinda trivial don’t you think?

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure either of them outplayed each other… both were incredible. Don’t think it’s really fair to say one was better than the other despite the outcome.

Chiefs also missed a FG and an XP. 

That's certainly fair.  Personally, I think Allen was a bit better - but it's kind of splitting hairs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My favorite Mahomes play was when he threw a 10 yard crosser that became a 60 yard TD. Only someone that spends 16 hours a day watching film could have pulled that one off.

In all seriousness I don't know of anyone that agrees with you here, not just among Bills fans. The common belief is that Allen got screwed out of a win by his defense and by a coin flip.

But I'm glad we got your opinion on the record.

All Mahomes did was throw for more yards than Josh, run for more yards than Josh, complete a higher percentage of his passes than Josh, average more yards per carry than Josh, lead a game tying scoring drive in under 13 seconds, go 6/6 in OT, and win the game.  So yeah, my opinion is that Mahomes was even better that day.

Also, I figured your favorite play would be the 4th down where a 5th string DB fell down on his backpedal leaving Davis completely uncovered in the end zone.  Amazing how Josh had to fit that ball into a 30 yard window.

Edited by Billl

19 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I am probably one of the few on here that can admit Mahomes is the best qb in the NFL right now. And the Chiefs have moved on from that 13 sec game and won another Super Bowl.

With that said why are you on a Bills forum touting your guy over our guy in a game that obviously most Bills fans considered the team’s best chance at a championship? Why would you need to contest something like this when you’re part of a fanbase that’s sitting on 2 championships in the last five years? Seems kinda trivial don’t you think?

Because there’s good football discussion here and (most) of this board understands that rival fans exist and that good natured banter is entertaining.

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Lmao talk with intelligence.

After the 2004 season, they didn’t win a Super Bowl again until 2014.

2014-2004 = 10. 

what happened? Did Brady stop watching film for a decade? 

Dont change topics. you said Brady did not have a SB win till after 10 years... Total BS. Thats all I pointed out. Have a nice day...

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

My thoughts. 

but people still get upset and think Rob Johnson lost the music city miracle game and not the terrible special teams coverage. What do I know I guess. 

2 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Because for a variety of reasons Chiefs fans have a massive Josh Allen complex. 

You guys act like having an opinion different from yours means you are negative or trolling. Yes, it is nice that we have had a pretty good team with a good QB for the first time in a long time, but last I checked the goal was to WIN THE SUPERBOWL. As our team ages and the competition improves, we are not getting closer to that goal but just the opposite.

To me, you are all the negative ones. When people bring an opinion saying this is could be why it's not happening, it's instantly shot down as negativity. If the Bills are so great and Josh is the best of all time then what do we have to show for it? Some AFC East banners? Wow, who cares!

These are the facts:

1. Josh does not work out in the off-season - source Kyle Brandt podcast

2. Josh has no diet plan and drinks beer and eats whatever he wants - source Kyle Brandt podcast

3. Josh does not watch film because he wants to react and not think too much - source Barstool podcast

4. Josh plays more golf than most professional players - source Jordan Palmer podcast

5. Josh says he is focused on football yet he is flying around the country to visit his gf in LA and do commercials - source TMZ

These are not rumors, this is from his own mouth. If I'm a coach and someone says one of my players does not work out at all, eats whatever he wants, drinks a lot, doesn't watch film, spends all of his time playing golf or visiting his long distance gf, I'd say that kid is not focused on winning football games.

Please remove your lips from Josh's rear end and take a critical look at reality. Yes, he is the best player on our team but can he be better? Absolutely! What if there was a QB who was the best ever and he wrote a book about all of his secrets to success (TB24)? Wouldn't you want your QB to read and follow that advice? Or are you cool with him doing the exact opposite and not reaching that level of success?

It's such a loser mentality for all of you to think that the Bills have somehow made it without actually having won anything. I'd say 3/4 of this board is just happy to be here so don't burst their bubble. Well there's a minority of us that want and expect better. Before instantly shooting down those ideas please be more considerate because we are fans of this team too.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

12 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lol I misspelled it because the e is right next to the w and I have fat fingers lol.. and Burrow just sounds wrong in the sentence. 

How do you think Allens is going to look this year? Personally, I think it's going to be another great year, but it might be overshadowed because of the rise of other young QBs like Tagovailoas, Lawrences, and Justin Herberts. Even Picketts might take a step forward, and Jacksons and Watsons are always a threat, too. Oh, and you can't forget Strouds and Richardsons! Even Russell Wilsons and Jimmy Garoppolos could thrive with new coaching.

9 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

You guys act like having an opinion different from yours means you are negative or trolling. Yes, it is nice that we have had a pretty good team with a good QB for the first time in a long time, but last I checked the goal was to WIN THE SUPERBOWL. As our team ages and the competition improves, we are not getting closer to that goal but just the opposite.

To me, you are all the negative ones. When people bring an opinion saying this is could be why it's not happening, it's instantly shot down as negativity. If the Bills are so great and Josh is the best of all time then what do we have to show for it? Some AFC East banners? Wow, who cares!

These are the facts:

2. Josh has no diet plan and drinks beer and eats whatever he wants - source Kyle Brandt podcast

3. Josh does not watch film because he wants to react and not think too much - source Barstool podcast

4. Josh plays more golf than most professional players - source Jordan Palmer podcast

5. Josh says he is focused on football yet he is flying around the country to visit his gf in LA and do commercials - source TMZ

These are not rumors, this is from his own mouth. If I'm a coach and someone says one of my players does not work out at all, eats whatever he wants, drinks a lot, doesn't watch film, spends all of his time playing golf or visiting his long distance gf, I'd say that kid is not focused on winning football games.

Please remove your lips from Josh's rear end and take a critical look at reality. Yes, he is the best player on our team but can he be better? Absolutely! What if there was a QB who was the best ever and he wrote a book about all of his secrets to success (TB24)? Wouldn't you want your QB to read and follow that advice? Or are you cool with him doing the exact opposite and not reaching that level of success?

It's such a loser mentality for all of you to think that the Bills have somehow made it without actually having won anything. I'd say 3/4 of this board is just happy to be here so don't burst their bubble. Well there's a minority of us that want and expect better. Before instantly shooting down those ideas please be more considerate because we are fans of this team too.

Post of the decade. Thank you.

I would also mention that I find it really strange that Josh hasn't watched the Quarterback documentary. As a competitor, wouldn't you watch that to get insight into your foes, especially Mahomes? For me, it would be a no brainer. I think this just another tick in the "doesn't prepare like he could" column.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

These are the facts:

You are deliberately misstating and/or exaggerating things here.  Josh actually said to MacAfee that he watches a lot of film but then explains how he does not want to rely exclusively on it because he has found teams change up things when the play the Bills.  He did not say he does not work out in the off season, he said he takes a break immediately after the season to heal up.  And so on.

Everyone wants the Bills to win the Super Bowl.  Not everyone makes up negatives like you and the OP do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

You are deliberately misstating and/or exaggerating things here.  Josh actually said to MacAfee that he watches a lot of film but then explains how he does not want to rely exclusively on it because he has found teams change up things when the play the Bills.  He did not say he does not work out in the off season, he said he takes a break immediately after the season to heal up.  And so on.

Everyone wants the Bills to win the Super Bowl.  Not everyone makes up negatives like you and the OP do.

Read TB24. Brady is obsessed with football and watching film. Josh watches film when he is at the facility and he has to. Once he leaves, he puts football out of his mind because he thinks it helps him to escape. You can't escape reality. It's happening. Anyone who has reached levels of being ultra successful will tell you that they NEVER stop working. Nobody has ever achieved greatness working 9-5.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Read TB24. Brady is obsessed with football and watching film. Josh watches film when he is at the facility and he has to. Once he leaves, he puts football out of his mind because he thinks it helps him to escape. You can't escape reality. It's happening. Anyone who has reached levels of being ultra successful will tell you that they NEVER stop working. Nobody has ever achieved greatness working 9-5.

You have absolutely no clue how much film Allen watches.  None.  Give you an example.  There’s a story in the News about Dorsey and his typical week.  On Tuesdays he and Josh go over plays they think they will work for the next opponent.  What that presumable means is that between the end of Sunday’s game and Tuesday Josh has watched film on the next opponent and has already come up with his ideas how to play against them.

You say it’s reality because it fits your narrative.  In reality you know squat.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.