WGR speculating the Bills will make a trade

78thealltimegreat

10 hours ago, maddenboy said:

are we buyers or are we sellers?

I mean, we will probably do both.  But which one is big enuf 'news' to get on the radio about.

Since its breathlessly reported / rumored, i'd assume its a name we all know.   Not like trading somebody we were gonna cut, or trading for somebody at the bottom of another team's depth chart (with the exception of QB).

So its probably Boogie or AJE.  They decided they are keeping one, and the other has value.  Do it before the trade partner has time to be surprised that 'whats available tomorrow (after cuts) in the dumpster is better than he expected.

Why not Lawson or Elam?

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

so, since i cant find a backup QB to win 2 or 3 games . . . i should sign and pay, and trade for, a star RB.    To help my backup QB win 2 or 3 games, if needed.

Meantime, the other 14 games, its overkill.   I agree with the sentiment that we shouldnt take the ball out of Josh's hands.

its like signing a basketball guard to play with michael jordan.  We pass you the ball so you can pass it back to Jordan.  When you start shooting too much and hogging possessions, we trade you.   We didnt bring you here to take the ball out of Jordan's hands

All this talk of (Jonathan) Taylor made me notice that it's been a few weeks since someone here called for bringing back (Tyrod) Taylor. Wassup you guys?

• Angry 1

37 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

All this talk of (Jonathan) Taylor made me notice that it's been a few weeks since someone here called for bringing back (Tyrod) Taylor. Wassup you guys?

Sorry for slacking!  Ty-Rud needs to return.   We need more QBs who can get 2 yards in 3rd and long consistently!   Consistency is the key to success and boy will his stats Look great.  We can then trade him for a conditional 7th in 2025.  

1 minute ago, Behindenemylines said:

Sorry for slacking!  Ty-Rud needs to return.   We need more QBs who can get 2 yards in 3rd and long consistently!   Consistency is the key to success and boy will his stats Look great.  We can then trade him for a conditional 7th in 2025.  

Are you trying to test gugs blood pressure,  medication?

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

As well as coaching upheavals when your team is pretty well set is not a guarantee things get better.  

A successful team will almost always lose some of their staff to promotions elsewhere, though promotions only account for half of the cases with the Bills. I have been concerned that they’ve only promoted from within and haven’t seemed to draw much talent in from the outside. All three coordinators (Daboll, Frazier and and Farwell) plus assistant GM Schein are all gone for one reason or another. Every position was filled from within. The only name of note brought in is Al Holcomb as an assistant on the defense.

This isn’t a black and white situation. Sometimes promoting from within is the right move. And McDermott taking over as DC could certainly be the right move. It’s not like he isn’t very experienced. But it isn’t like we heard anything about anyone clamoring for the positions either. I’m not even sure the Bills looked. It might be nothing but something just feels odd about it to me. 

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

i prefer to stay out of jail.

but that said, we could do worse.  And currently probably are.

Edited by maddenboy

18 minutes ago, Draconator said:

If there's one thing I know about Brandon Beane: expect the unexpected 

Agreed.  Like Lamont Cranston, Beane has learned the power to hypnotically cloud the minds of those around him.  If you don't believe me, just flip through this forum from month to month. 😉

12 hours ago, Airseven said:

I agree the Bills fringe players, or “depth,” are not desirable around the league. And even Elam can only go to a select few teams. It worries me Beane will throw a high pick at another veteran quick fix out of desperation.

No it doesn't dolphins fan

9 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Beane has missed on 14 of 31 picks from 2019-2022

Based on WHOSE assessment? Yours?

Just now, SCBills said:

I don’t think Sal is connected like that, at least he always says he’s not .. but he name dropped Elam quite a bit as a trade candidate a few minutes ago on WGR. 

I’m not into all the gossip but looking at it strictly from a football perspective it’d seem like Elam would be the one to move. He was a first round talent that reportedly just doesn’t fit with what the Bills are trying to do defensively. I’ve got to believe there are other teams that are in a similar predicament with a position player that would fill a hole in the Bills roster. 

13 hours ago, ngbills said:

Damar is a PR nightmare. I thought he sucked last year and then…

Not to derail. But I agree with you on the giant PR issue. I do think Hamlin flashed last year. Jaquan Johnson was absolutely embarrassed last year. Hamlin seemed to at least flash. Johnson felt like a liability every single snap. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Not to derail. But I agree with you on the giant PR issue. I do think Hamlin flashed last year. Jaquan Johnson was absolutely embarrassed last year. Hamlin seemed to at least flash. Johnson felt like a liability every single snap. 

Lack of ability, or the DC's 'bend but don't break' philosophy?  And for once, I am being serious.

3 hours ago, maddenboy said:

so, since i cant find a backup QB to win 2 or 3 games . . . i should sign and pay, and trade for, a star RB.    To help my backup QB win 2 or 3 games, if needed.

Meantime, the other 14 games, its overkill.   I agree with the sentiment that we shouldnt take the ball out of Josh's hands.

its like signing a basketball guard to play with michael jordan.  We pass you the ball so you can pass it back to Jordan.  When you start shooting too much and hogging possessions, we trade you.   We didnt bring you here to take the ball out of Jordan's hands

Remember who hit the winning shot to win a title on Jordan's team.... his name was John Paxson. Yes... Jordan passed the ball to Paxson after drawing the double team

20 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Washington and Arizona are in throwaway seasons. Look at who their best players are for a possible salary dump.

Yup. Arizona is already having their fire sale. I think Washington is waiting to see how the season starts. But they’re a good candidate for something near the trade deadline. The Bills taking on salary might be an issue though. 

Edited by BarleyNY

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Erik Flowers and Walt Patulski say HI! 👋

6 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

No, everyone KNEW those guys were bad.

Some people here still refuse to believe that Ed Oliver was an absolute waste of a top-10 pick and should never have been re-signed

Mike Williams and Aaron Maybin also throw their hats into the ring. 

13 hours ago, wppete said:

I would say one of the DEs, going to be a tough cut down, a lot of talent. Maybe Basham, AJ, Jonathan or Shaq. We have a lot of talent at CB, maybe Elam? Also have a lot of talent at Guard. Maybe  Boetger or Mancz. I also think we have 9 draft picks next year….. so Beane has the assets if wants to make a move. 

I wouldn’t call it a lot of talent at DE more like a lot of players that are the same caliber! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Again, everyone KNEW those guys were bad.

I say again: there are people on this board who believe Ed Oliver is an impactful player. Still.

Mike Williams was supposed to be a can’t miss pick out of Texas. Oliver at one point was considered the overall top player of his draft class, but he's played like the 3rd or 4th best DT, which is probably why he fell to us at 9.

6 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I say again: there are people on this board who believe Ed Oliver is an impactful player. Still.

Eh. There was definitely enough hype with Williams and honestly, there was mixed feelings about Maybin as well. 

either way, the argument isn’t that people thought he would be bad. The argument is they were first round picks that were useless in the NFL. 

Just now, uticaclub said:

Mike Williams was supposed to be a can’t miss pick out of Texas. Oliver at one point was considered the overall top player of his draft class, but he's played like the 3rd or 4th best DT, which is probably why he fell to us at 9.

That draft was so long ago, but I seem to remember several people here (including officer Bill) who wanted another tackle in that draft.

8 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not living up to his draft position doesn't = not being an impactful player. 

He's a good, solid player.  He's not a star.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.