Rick Jeanneret passes away at 81

Process

Heard it on WGR this morning. One of a kind play-by-play guy. 

A buddy of mine sent me a highlight DVD of RJ many years ago. On it, there's a clip of RJ calling the plays with the camera showing him in the booth. It was back when Jim Lorentz was his color guy. The play was heating up and RJ is leaning over the edge of the booth, his face is turning red and you could see Lorentz looking at him giggling. Classic moment. 

His voice and intensity is unmatched! 

Wished he could have seen Sabres win a Cup

RIP RJ!

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, wnyguy said:

Truly a Buffalo icon and a staple to so many Sabres fans. From "WOWEE HOUSLEY" and "OOH LA LA PIERRE" there were so many calls that will live in the hearts of those who are fans forever. Godspeed Rick.

As a testament to that, and I’m sure I’m not the only one, as I read through this thread I don’t “read” the text of the calls so much as “hear” them through RJ’s voice as an auditory memory while processing the words visually. Similar to  “hearing” Van Miller’s voice whenever I read words like “fandemonium”. Indelible marks left by broadcasting legends. 

• Agree 1

He got some criticism from other fans because of his over the top goal calls and excitement.  Also painting the other team as villainous thugs vs the righteous sabres when it came to fights...

But I would always point out.  If you listen to an opposing goal in a vacuum, RJ put 10x more into those goals than any other home/regional pbp announcer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Sargent Hulka said:

I remember John Madden relating how he heard Jeanneret on the radio. For some reason or another, Madden's bus had to cross the Peace Bridge. Anyway, John Madden raved about RJ. He was a fan.

That's awesome!  Never heard that story before but I believe it

He was the best at what he did.  He did something near and dear to all of us.   Not many can be described like this, but some can.  They’re few and far between.

Rick, though, is in a category by himself.   In addition to sharing thousands of evenings (thousands!) of competence, art and joy, he taught us lessons.  The lessons are his greatest gift, and that’s saying something.

1)   Love your work.  You will feel it and so will those around you, making the experience better for everyone.

2)   Love who you work with.  Work becomes less “work”, and everyone’s grateful for that.

3)   Be yourself.   While the world changes from radio, to television, to inter-webs, to streaming, to 85” high definition, to game animation, remain the same comfortable and familiar voice.   You will connect the simple memories of youth with the complicated reality of adulthood.   One of the greatest lessons from Rick is that there are experiences that fathers, sons and daughters can share exactly the same way, but they’re rare.   Rick was one.

4)   Take your work seriously and yourself less so.   What a humble man.

5)   Love your family.

Godspeed, RJ …. I’ll see you again soon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Simon said:

I remember being a kid who was supposed to be asleep in bed and instead hiding under the covers with a little handheld AM radio listening to him call games. :worthy:

Me and my brothers too, Simon. We had built a little Heathkit "transistor" radio around 1971. We kept that thing really low, under a pillow, because our by-the-book German mom had ears like a fox downstairs. But Rick was one of a kind. RIP.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I always found him disingenuous and borderline arrogant. But may he RIP. 

I was only a Sabres fan for about 10 years from the 1st-ever game to leaving town for college and to me, Ted Darling was the man. RJ was very, very entertaining to listen to while filling in for Ted, never skipped a beat.

• Like (+1) 1

I knew his health wasn’t doing great but I had no idea he was 81. He always seemed the same age when I was a kid. Truly a legend and the voice of my childhood. 81 is a great run but it seemed so sudden. I’m just so happy I got to experience him and I just wish the Sabres got him a cup. RIP Legend.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I knew his health wasn’t doing great but I had no idea he was 81. He always seemed the same age when I was a kid. Truly a legend and the voice of my childhood. 81 is a great run but it seemed so sudden. I’m just so happy I got to experience him and I just wish the Sabres got him a cup. RIP Legend.

I still believe the cup was given away to Dallas in that no goal game.  The game was turning in Sabres favor.  It had the feel to it like many of the last minute victories that team seemed to win.

Had a chance to visit the RJ Memorial by the arena this afternoon, there was a decent amount of people trickling through to pay their respects.  Lots of people left written Thanks and well wishes for his family, it was very touching reading through them.  They were blaring all of his classic calls on a loop on the speakers outside the arena...I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed some tears.  Emotional scene.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.