Brandon Shell Reportedly Intends to Retire

BuffaloBillyG

1 minute ago, Normaliswear said:

I need to see them play snaps against 1s before i feel confident about those guys. I'm still in camp "Trade for Beachum"

There is tradable depth there for a player for player as well.  That is the most likely approach and likely safest.  But though two looked the part in their time against the Colts anyway.  I would like to see them continue to improve on that performance

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

That's a shame. Whilst he wasnt likely to make a big impact, losing solid backup for a position where the starter is of questionable quality is a blow.

So what way does this impact the salary cap? Is our available cap now increased to the tune of his annual salary? Or a portion of it?

A insignificant impact on the cap. He was signed for near vet minimum. Only $152k in dead cap. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A championship contender that got its ass kicked to get bounded in the divisional round of the playoffs yet again…. Glad your satisfied with that.👌🏻

Yea, I am enjoying this regime very much. It would be different if Beane built a 💩 team. It’s a new season and we’re a contender. I’m willing to let the season play out and have fun watching. I’m the kind that doesn’t complain about an ugly win either. Some people here should try that out. 
Oh, glad you’re glad. Feels good, doesn’t it?

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not sure about this but I believe that Shell saw being cut in his future.  If you've ever played football, you know that you can always tell the people that belong on the team and those that are in over their head.  After seven training camps, Shell may have figured out that he really was in over his head.  He could probably see that there were too many better options at his position and it wasn't worth putting in the hard work to end up at home anyway.  One on one drills in practice are very telling not only for the coaches but for the players also.  I bet Shell was getting his a-- handed to him in practice and he knew it.  Some people will want to talk about the depth chart and say he was one of his best options at right tackle or swing tackle.  I never believed Shell was going to land in one of those roles and apparently he didn't either.  By most accounts, he is a good guy and I wish him well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is not good for the Bills. 

I wish Brandon the best.

VandeMark played pretty well at LT but I hear he was not good at RT. Quesenberry hasn't shown himself so far as being anywhere above replacement level from what I've seen. Perhaps even a bit below.

So far, Brown has looked pretty good this camp overall, or so it has been written. If he gets injured, things don't look nearly as good without Shell.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

A championship contender that got its ass kicked to get bounded in the divisional round of the playoffs yet again…. Glad your satisfied with that.👌🏻

Glad you're satisfied with an argument as stupid as that one.  👍

Every team has bad games. That's a fact. Pretending that loss shows how good we are says far more about your judgment than it does about the Bills. You're talking about a team with a QB with an arm injury that was affecting his throwing, a team that saw one of their members die on the field, that had one of their teammates have a college-age brother die on the field, that had a home game turned to an away game at last minute, that had two blizzards produce multiple tragedies in the city and a racially motivated mass killer kill even more, that had three away games in closer succession than any other team in NFL history had ... and it goes on and on. 

They simply weren't playing up to their level. They said it at the time in case anyone was somehow unable to see it for themselves. 

Dumb argument. Nobody's satisfied with it. Pretty much everyone with half a brain understood it, even if it did hurt like hell for a long time afterwards.

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/15/2023 at 11:49 AM, StHustle said:

Is it cause he felt he was a Shell of himself? 🤔

Very possible could be truth in this.  The olìne and dline players do take alot of physical punishment irregardless of how good of shape they are in.  The league has been a bit slow to enact rule changes to alleviate some of the lack of talent to keep rules as the currently are.. As well think the frequency of concussions is probably  higher in players that are in the trenches a significant portion of their playing time.  Not to mention the extra bit some linemen may dish out facing a more talented athlete on the opposing side of the ball.  

All it will take is another top qb like Luck to walk away due to all the injuries and the rehab cycle they endure.   More than likely be one drawing top qb pay so the loss would really set a franchise back.  Won't be someone as lacking in talent and easily replaceable as Mac Jones of NE.  Given Aaron Rodgers age if he takes a hard hit that causes a significant injury and all the hype he's generated for one of the top NFL markets, and them having Hard Knox recording the Jets season it would be very easy to see rule change as Jets would be depending on Zach Wilson to save their season and I don't see him improving  his game enough to ķeep Jets in the hunt. 

Edited by AuntieEm

1 hour ago, ALF said:

After final cutdown hope the Bills can find a good player available.

They are already bringing in Garrett McGhin and a Quinton Bsrrow to tryout.  One of them may click never know.  Ĺeast we  may get to see them plaý ìn preseason.  Hard to know if they will provide any competition.

5 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

We are a contending team and we need to rely on getting lucky with other teams' discards to improve our OL.

Does that not sound like mismanagement to you?

Sounds more like a whiny fan to to the majority of us, 

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Sounds more like a whiny fan to to the majority of us, 

Well, you're wrong, so enjoy swimming in your wrongness.

6 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

We are a contending team and we need to rely on getting lucky with other teams' discards to improve our OL.

Depends on whether or not O'Cyrus is ready for the league or not... it's a wait and see, but so far I don't get their plans with respect to the OL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would be shocked if we traded for a player
Beane loves his draft picks I think we’re gonna be sellers more than we’re gonna be buyers

You can be a seller as well as a buyer. Player for player trades near the deadline are something Beane has done in the past as well. I think that's more likely...but maybe Beane parts with one of his 6ths if he has to. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Yup....that's what you get for 5 years of OL calculated neglect. Yes as I've heard 100x "we've improved the guards". But Dion had 3 sacks and gave up 30 pressures last year. And Spencer is one speed rush away from getting Josh destroyed. Shell leaving only exasperates this.  We better do so great dumpster diving on cut-down day.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup....that's what you get for 5 years of OL calculated neglect. Yes as I've heard 100x "we've improved the guards". But Dion had 3 sacks and gave up 30 pressures last year. And Spencer is one speed rush away from getting Josh destroyed. Shell leaving only exasperates this.  We better do so great dumpster diving on cut-down day.

On 8/15/2023 at 12:35 PM, FilthyBeast said:

On paper this is a better group than last year but still need to see real results (i.e. actually being able to run block and run the football consistently).

"Better group than last year", yet elsewhere you predicted the Bills are a 6-to 9-win team this year:

20 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

He.  Was.  Signed. As. A. Backup.

it's kind of normal to go through other team's discards to see if you can find a better backup, especially in case of injuries or retirement.  Until cutdown day, the other term for discards is "guys competing for a roster spot on Team X"

Edited by Beck Water

Can one of the better trolls get this new cringelord up to speed on memes, etc? Jerry Maguire really?

Perfectly normal for every single team to sort through discards because there is no single team that has every position nailed, and even then injuries happen. Chiefs have been sorting through all kinds of no names at secondary, just signed another one this week. Clearly they’re not content with their depth and I guarantee they’ll snag a cut DB from somebody’s trash.

Edited by Nelius
  • Dislike 1

We are not relying on getting lucky, we are evaluating for better options. Funny how that can sound so different if you twist it another way. 

We only have so many resources. When you have to pay the QB, there will be thin spots. Nobody has enough OL guys, like us with DB’s last year. Build the best 5 you can, get versatile depth and pray for the best. 

19 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

They are already bringing in Garrett McGhin and a Quinton Bsrrow to tryout.  One of them may click never know.  Ĺeast we  may get to see them plaý ìn preseason.  Hard to know if they will provide any competition.

Here's an article on them.  McGhin has been in Bills training camps 2x, and has been on practice squads and in the XFL since.

Barrow is a rookie UDFA

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-bring-back-former-ol-for-workout-after-brandon-shell-retires/ar-AA1fknvX

Neither was signed.  It may take until roster cutdowns for someone to free up who the Bills want to look at.

Edited by Beck Water

Yeah, terrible management that, in your very own words, built a contender.

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:01 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Well, you're wrong, so enjoy swimming in your wrongness.

Depends on whether or not O'Cyrus is ready for the league or not... it's a wait and see, but so far I don't get their plans with respect to the OL.

You assume there is a plan my Bills Brethren.

11 hours ago, Nelius said:

Can one of the better trolls get this new cringelord up to speed on memes, etc? Jerry Maguire really?

Perfectly normal for every single team to sort through discards because there is no single team that has every position nailed, and even then injuries happen. Chiefs have been sorting through all kinds of no names at secondary, just signed another one this week. Clearly they’re not content with their depth and I guarantee they’ll snag a cut DB from somebody’s trash.

My apologies.

I had no intention of hurting your...

7 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

You assume there is a plan my Bills Brethren.

I must assume that there is a plan by Beane to fix this issue, but if they don't come up with something soon to protect Josh and keep him from becoming Cam Newton 2.0, then I'm afraid for McD and eventually Beane it will be....

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/17/2023 at 2:15 AM, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Shell was a free agent, not a discard.   How could we have known that he would suddenly decide to retire?

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I must assume that there is a plan by Beane to fix this issue, but if they don't come up with something soon to protect Josh and keep him from becoming Cam Newton 2.0, then I'm afraid for McD and eventually Beane it will be....

I suspect that the Bills will be spending two high draft picks on the offense next year one a pass catcher the other an offensive lineman. McBeane did a great job in addressing interior line issues this past off-season. McBeane got the best guard in the draft and a solid starter in McGovern who is young and signed up for 3 seasons. McBeane then also got some depth help by moving Bates back to the bench and signing Davis Edwards. They even brought back Queese and brought in Shell to have more options/depth at tackle. 

I really think that McBeane did a good job addressing the O-line given the resources they had. But they still don't have a decent backup for Dawkins and Spencer Brown's comeback season is a big gamble to take at the RT position. If the Bills had a true solid swing tackle like they used to have in Ty Nesheke I would be very comfortable in what the Bills have but they just don't have that yet unless Doyle shows to really improve. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Do you think I am saying that?

Just because you didn't say that word for word does not mean that it wasn't implied or something that could be easily concluded.

You inaccurately stated that Buffalo relied on discards from other teams when Shell was a free agent signing.   You then indicated that it was an example of poor planning by saying "Does that not sound like mismanagement to you?".   

To me that sounds like you think that they should have known that he was going to suddenly retire before signing him.   If that is not accurate, since we are not able read your mind, why don't you tell us what you meant by that and what you thunk Buffalo should have done differently given their cap limitations. 

Edited by dgrochester55

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.