Hard Knocks Jets

stevewin

42 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Unless injuries hit them hard, they will make the playoffs. They have a solid roster and even if Rodgers isn't in his prime anymore, he is still a massive upgrade over what they had last year. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills and Jets play 3 times this year.

Agree.  Add in the Dolphins and the AFC East is going to be a blood bath this year.  I could see all 3 teams making the playoffs

Just now, bills6969 said:

Agree.  Add in the Dolphins and the AFC East is going to be a blood bath this year.  I could see all 3 teams making the playoffs

I think one of them misses most likely Miami. The Bills and Jets have a huge advantage over the Dolphins at the most important position. 

53 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Unless injuries hit them hard, they will make the playoffs. They have a solid roster and even if Rodgers isn't in his prime anymore, he is still a massive upgrade over what they had last year. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills and Jets play 3 times this year.

I don't think its a slam dunk for them.

Division winners

Bills

Cinci

Jags

Chiefs

Legit Playoff contenders

Chargers

Miami

Jets

Steelers

Ravens

Wouldnt shock me playoff teams

Pats*

Titans

Broncos

5 teams for 3 slots and 3 other teams that could be good enough to sneak in. The AFC is loaded with good teams with good QBs. Rodgers struggled a ton last year and missed the playoffs in an incredibly weak conference. The giants (and that team was badddddddd) were the 6th seed.

I'm very skeptical of Rodgers impact on the Jets. They will be better, but I could see them just thinking "oh we got rodgers, were in" and imploading. Their coaching is suspect at best

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Division winners

Bills

Cinci

Jags

Chiefs

Legit Playoff contenders

Chargers

Miami

Jets

Steelers

Ravens

Pats*

Titans

Broncos

5 teams for 3 slots and 3 other teams that could be good enough to sneak in. The AFC is loaded with good teams with good QBs. Rodgers struggled a ton last year and missed the playoffs in an incredibly weak conference. The giants (and that team was badddddddd) were the 6th seed.

I'm very skeptical of Rodgers impact on the Jets. They will be better, but I could see them just thinking "oh we got rodgers, were in" and imploading. Their coaching is suspect at best

I will say the Jets defense is going to keep them in games and Rodgers with the weapons he has there will do a good enough job for them to make it to the playoffs. You are right the AFC is loaded and nothing is guaranteed and that goes for the Bills as well. The Jets defense is going to be one of the best if not the best defense the Bills will face this year. We will see week 1 just how good our revamped OL is. Big test right out of the gate.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Bought the hype huh?

7-10 is my prediction and starting off

0-4

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Division winners

Bills

Cinci

Jags

Chiefs

Legit Playoff contenders

Chargers

Miami

Jets

Steelers

Ravens

Pats*

Titans

Broncos

Your legit playoff contenders list is bad

ravens (who may win their division with a healthy Jackson) and chargers are it on that list

everyone else is mediocre and won’t sniff it

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Bought the hype huh?

0-4

ravens (who may win their division with a healthy Jackson) and chargers are it on that list

I hope you are right, and they end up something like 7-10. But I think they get in as WC this year.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Division winners

Bills

Cinci

Jags

Chiefs

Legit Playoff contenders

Chargers

Miami

Jets

Steelers

Ravens

Pats*

Titans

Broncos

Ya I think Pitt is super underrated and has a legit chance , I took them over 7.5 wins.

AFC north is going to be another competitive division 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Bought the hype huh?

0-4

The Steelers have never had a losing season under Tomlin and Pickett is gonna be a good one. I bet they make it this year

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Division winners

Bills

Cinci

Jags

Chiefs

Legit Playoff contenders

Chargers

Miami

Jets

Steelers

Ravens

Pats*

Titans

Broncos

More than any other recent year, there is the slim possibility that the Jets or Dolphins could overtake us somehow. Can you imagine TBD if that happens??
Folks will be chanting for Beane and/or McDermott to go.  The only caveat would be if Allen was injured. 

(Any deniers - please see our game against Dolphins back up we almost lost) 

On 8/9/2023 at 2:26 PM, BillMafia716ix said:

Hard Knocks has been this way for a while now. Teams don’t want to show the real stuff that goes on behind the scenes. 

Couldn't disagree more.

Isn't the most recent series with the Lions?  That wasn't like what you describe at all.

I am actually routinely impressed with what ends up on air.  I'm surprised the GMs and coaches would allow a camera anywhere near their offices or meeting rooms.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Couldn't disagree more.

Isn't the most recent series with the Lions?  That wasn't like what you describe at all.

I am actually routinely impressed with what ends up on air.  I'm surprised the GMs and coaches would allow a camera anywhere near their offices or meeting rooms.

You must of just started watching bc hard knocks use to be way more in depth. Been watching since the 2000 Ravens. 

11 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Division winners

Bills

Cinci

Jags

Chiefs

Legit Playoff contenders

Chargers

Miami

Jets

Steelers

Ravens

Pats*

Titans

Broncos

Rogers is joining  a team a team that lost it last 6, 7 of its last 8, 8 of its last 10.  In other words, a suspect team with suspect coaching.  The Jets are no lock for the playoffs.  Rogers is no lock to be better than his mediocre performance last year.  I think the Jets are a 9 and 8 team at best.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Gregg said:

Lets say we have a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years. Has 7 consecutive losing seasons. Finished last in the division 6 out of 7 years including 3 straight. 

They end up signing a 39 year old QB who did not make the playoffs his previous season. Who has not made a Super Bowl in 12 years. 

Now you're free to talk about the roster. How Aaron Rogers is a former MVP. But if the Jets are as good as people think it would fall much more in the area of unlikely than if they aren't. Teams are not built on paper. 

You want free money? Take the Bills and the points Week 1

On 8/8/2023 at 11:35 PM, Blank Stare said:

Just watched. Not sure I can make it through the full season of hard knocks. 

I just watched the first episode, that’s enough for me. Can’t stand that team and Salah is unbearable to listen to to, what a tool. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just watched.

saleh is such a whiny sniveler.  😭 

as predicted- an AR slobfest.

inc sauce slobfests

It's going to be glorious when these guys finish last in the East again this year. The only team you can argue the Jets are better than is New England, and the Pats have beaten them 14 times in a row. Miami is the true threat to the Bills for division supremacy

On 8/8/2023 at 11:38 PM, stevewin said:

I find Saleh to be a blowhard meat head - first ep doesn't change that for me

I agree. The jest are more evil to me, more of a rival i cant stand.   It was a total rogers kiss a$$ fest.  Wow, how good was that throw,,,he’s ours , he’s our qb , no other qb can make that throw,,,,then he and Wilson doing blind look throws against no rush. Crap, Wilson couldn’t make throws eyes wide open last year ( Wilson is another narcissistic a hole so having rodgers mentor him seems appropriate) so suddenly rodgers teaching him blind look throws is progress?!    Their motto of “what now” after everything to refer to what now after you have supposedly done your regular job was junior high motivational stuff.    

Rodgers acting like he wants to teach players and Wilson now,( as he has never been fond of helping younger players, is an obvious act in front of the hard knocks cameras) ,,,wearing headphones during the game and joking with  Saleh ( who during their hof game seemed to treat rodgers as a fellow staff rather than player)  and just all the placing Rodgers on a pedestal crap did nothing for me but solidify why he will always be a narcissistic douche imo.    Garrett Wilson is another prima donna wr big mouth as well during practice who would grow tiring  very quickly.  Throw in the talk by Saleh calling the jets “eagles “ while referring to others as crows , trying to attack the eagles who soar high and cause crows to suffocate added to the “make me gag “ diatribe during the episode.   UGH!   ,,(,i actually watch several eagle nests on YouTube as its a fascinating process watching their behavior , with one  here in Jax area and a very well known one by fort Myers’s, as they hatch and raise a clutch each year. If a crow finds the eagle nest /eggs unattended, i have seen multiple times where the crows outsmart the eagles and destroy and eat the entire clutch. Have never seen a crow fly with an eagle , just quickly strafe by them to get them out of the crows area as eagles raid nests and kill the young of other birds.).   Lol. Saleh was implying they are the hunted now in the afc east and they are the Eagles while all other teams are crows !?  Pretty petty motivational talk for adults imo.  Not going to ever be confused with MARV LEVY!    

They have done nothing as a team yet, but just having rodgers doing no look throws in practice has them acting as arrogant as he is. Of course the narrator of hard knocks , with rodgers referring to him as ‘the voice of GOD’ , had to fly into practice by helicopter. Liev or however you spell his name , is no john facenda !    Rodgers was fan boying all over him, of course, as star chasing  has always been a big part of rodgers facade and plays to his  narcissistic  self importance.  It was an hour of idol  worshipping as we kept hearing from players how amazing rodgers is.

At one point rodgers gave sauce a compliment , only to have sauce go off on this tangent about his goal to be in the hof. Rodgers , as soon as sauce starts explaining his goals , looks off to his right and looks completely uninterested while sauce goes into his story about his mothers encouragement etc.   Rodgers looked so bored as you could read his mind , thinking i couldn’t care less kid and I’m sorry i Said anything to spur your diatribe on about getting to the HOF ,,, get me out of here!  Lol, rodgers disinterest in anyone else is why he has a history of going thru relationships and his hobbies are self indulgent “ mind or conscious “ seeking endeavors like his drug experimentation , mind expanding  Peruvian adventure.  He also said the jets shouldn’t be so negative while losing the HOF GAME , and they need to work on their ‘manifestation “  process of meditation or thinking.  It was just more rodgers believing he is on a different intellectual plane than even the coaching staff.  It was the nauseating crap psychobabble he is known for. 

Contrast that to mcds culture of the process , earning things, knowing your teammates well and  their families , just the blue collar work ethic with appreciation of the BILLS MAFIA as the team seems genuinely happy to represent the BUFFALO community, not interested in self promotion  ( the jets also had method man close out a practice ; all this distracting stuff in just one hard knocks episode).   It is a definite contrast in team personas between the BILLS and an arrogant JETS squad. Mcd/beane are approachable and a perfect organizational fit , as is josh and most players on this team including their possible budding star rookie tight end. 

Sorry for the rant, triggered by a full hour of RODGERS on hard knocks ,,,,add the JETS and RODGERS as villains this season IMO and i hope that first game squashes all the preseason hype that hard knocks is reaffirming. I like the bills as more of an underdog , as even  the buffalo plus podcast crew mentioned the BILLS seem more humble , more focused this year with a very productive camp compared to the  SB HYPED ,, somewhat self indulgent team from a year ago. Go BILLS! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Spot on.  Sucks that dirty mef is a jets fan.  Ray Donavan ftw

Honestly it f***** me up the first time I realized Liev was the narrator for all this stuff (and he narrates a TON of stuff) - I am very familiar with his acting work but I never watch the credits on anything. They put so much compression on his voiceover I still can’t believe it’s him. He’s top notch though, and it was cool to see him finally visit. 

Method Man gets a pass for any and all bad fandoms.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, buffblue said:

It's going to be glorious when these guys finish last in the East again this year. The only team you can argue the Jets are better than is New England, and the Pats have beaten them 14 times in a row. Miami is the true threat to the Bills for division supremacy

I’m very skeptical of the jets OL but that’s about it.  I think Douglas is just so enamored to have traded for Rodgers that he’ll do something like give multiple picks for bakhtiari.  The potential for that team is great if they can find a way to keep Rodgers upright and healthy. 

On 8/9/2023 at 1:54 AM, JerseyBills said:

Loved that game.  Allen was 32/40 80% 375 and 4 TD. Only 11 yds rushing but I loved it cause he took what the D gave.  Killed them underneath. He's unstoppable when playing that way

he averaged 9.4 ypa

as per usual in that game he did his best work downfield

for reference the Dolphins playoff game where everyone basically agrees he was looking too deep 9.0ypa

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

he averaged 9.4 ypa

for reference the Dolphins playoff game where everyone basically agrees he was looking too deep 9.0ypa

With Josh it is more about rhythm to me. And when he is taking what the D gives him, taking the underneath throws, making completions and moving the chains his confidence is there and he becomes unstoppable to all ranges of the field and there is in those moments genuinely not a throw on the field that is beyond him. When he / they (cos it is on play calling and execution of those around him too) get locked into throwing deep all the time he doesn't stack those completions and build the same rhythm and that is when the offense often looks disjointed and inconsistent and they end up needing to use Allen's legs more to move the chains. They normally still put up points. But he is at his best when they get him into that rhythm early with the intermediate stuff and then start to attack deep.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

On 8/11/2023 at 3:03 AM, Charles Romes said:

definitely a documentary that has jumped the shark.  The one interesting thing is that the hyper-animated Dan Campbell last year came off as being himself and genuine while the toned down Salah impressed as being a phony trying to be someone else. 

That was something watching Campbell do the up downs on the first show.  I think he got to about 37 when his wrist was about to give out.  He is a character.  And a solid coach.  If they can find some defense, the Lions will be in the mix this year in the NFC.  Should be an interesting opening nite game in KC.  

On 8/12/2023 at 1:21 AM, GoBills808 said:

he averaged 9.4 ypa

On 8/9/2023 at 6:54 AM, JerseyBills said:

Loved that game.  Allen was 32/40 80% 375 and 4 TD. Only 11 yds rushing but I loved it cause he took what the D gave.  Killed them underneath. He's unstoppable when playing that way

Can I go with "you're both right"?

Allen had a handful long completions in that game, notably 35 yds to Beasley (!!!), 25 yds to Davis, 23 to McKenzie.

But if you look at the passing chart, we can see that actually, most of Allen's completions (~20 or so) were within 5 yds or behind the LOS.  He really did nibble the 49ers to death, and then a handful of long passes went for the kill

Capture.JPG

And that's really classic for how the Bills offense operates most efficiently.

Now if you look at the Dolphins playoff game, we see a very different pattern.  A handful of completed passes are within 5 yards of the LOS, and the others are scattered throughout the field.  I'd put in that chart but the board software won't let me unless I re-size tiny and may fuss at me then, but here's the link

So I would say, we need to know what the range and the standard deviation are when interpreting YPA, because 2 very different passing games can have similar YPA.  Or, better yet, just stroll by Nexgen Stats and look at the passing chart for the games.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/12/2023 at 4:41 AM, buffblue said:

I think it would be hilarious if they finished last but I don't see it happening.  Last season their defense was incredible.  If it's close to what it was last season all they need is a very good offense and they'll win a lot of games. It doesn't have to be an amazing offense. 

The only way I can see them being that bad is if the pressure of the hype gets to them, they lose a few early on and the whole thing implodes to the point where Saleh  loses the locker room

Edited by RobbRiddick

On 8/8/2023 at 11:38 PM, stevewin said:

I find Saleh to be a blowhard meat head - first ep doesn't change that for me

I think you just confirmed he's poppin

On 8/12/2023 at 7:59 PM, Tierlifer said:

Just watched. Very little content or insight if you’re neutral fan. Extremely vanilla. The Jets controlling the content (I heard on WFAN this was the case?) made episode 1 extremely dull. 

THe series has been that way for a while.  When the Jets were on it the first time they showed negotiations with Revis.  They showed the Jets telling the backup QB he had to take a paycut on the phone.  They had the shake weights....it was great.  The current version of Hard Knocks is way too vanilla

Edited by Matt_In_NH

Finally watched Ep1.  The Jets have a talented roster but MY GOODNESS the douche factor on that team is through the roof.  Rodgers sounds like he’s doing a bit - am I crazy or is he doing some kind of southern cowboy accent on the show?  This whole “grizzled gunslinger mentor” routine is a total put-on.  And Saleh comes across as a complete meathead phony, that eagle/crow speech made absolutely no sense at all and the sad part is he clearly wrote and practiced it for the show.  And Zach Wilson somehow comes across as younger than he looks, and he looks 16.  That guy is lightyears away.

This year’s Jets season will be fascinating.  Rodgers is clearly seeking and embracing the spotlight and I am so beyond skeptical he has thick enough skin for what he has gotten himself into.

Popcorn is popped.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I normally love Hard Knocks. Finally checked it out this week. Made it half way through the first episode before turning it off.

The good news is, it inspired me to check out The Righteous Gemstones instead since I was already in the HBO app. Masterpiece.

Effin great show 

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I think you just confirmed he's poppin

THe series has been that way for a while.  When the Jets were on it the first time they showed negotiations with Revis.  They showed the Jets telling the backup QB he had to take a paycut on the phone.  They had the shake weights....it was great.  The current version of Hard Knocks is way too vanilla

I was working a few days a week in Cortland when that was happening. Was fun to see the players in town every so often. 

The one episode I liked was when Tannenbaum and Revis’ agent I think met at the Roscoe Diner lol. My family would eat breakfast there all the time on our way to Shea. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.