The eye of the tiger

major

For those of you able to attend training camp, do our Bills look hungry? Do they have the eye of the tiger?

Showing my age (both with the Rocky reference and what is about to follow), but I remember when I saw the 85 bears, 1994 Niners, and the 2000 Ravens, I could tell they were going to win it all. They looked hungry in training camp (and throughout the season)  and you could just tell they were going to be champs. All that to say, do our Bills have that look right now? 

One of my favorite movie quotes is when Apollo Creed says the following to Rocky (in Rocky 3):

We held the greatest title in the whole world, babe. You lost that fight for all the wrong reasons. You lost your edge. All right, I know your manager dying had you all messed up inside, but the truth is you didn’t look hungry.

Now when we fought, you had that eye of the tiger, man, the edge. And now you gotta get it back, and the way to get it back is to go back to the beginning. You know what I mean?

Heh-heh, maybe we could win it back together.

Eye of the tiger, man.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, major said:

For those of you able to attend training camp, do our Bills look hungry? Do they have the eye of the tiger?

Showing my age (both with the Rocky reference and what is about to follow), but I remember when I saw the 85 bears, 1994 Niners, and the 2000 Ravens, I could tell they were going to win it all. They looked hungry in training camp (and throughout the season)  and you could just tell they were going to be champs. All that to say, do our Bills have that look right now? 

One of my favorite movie quotes is when Apollo Creed says the following to Rocky (in Rocky 3):

We held the greatest title in the whole world, babe. You lost that fight for all the wrong reasons. You lost your edge. All right, I know your manager dying had you all messed up inside, but the truth is you didn’t look hungry.

Now when we fought, you had that eye of the tiger, man, the edge. And now you gotta get it back, and the way to get it back is to go back to the beginning. You know what I mean?

Eye of the tiger, man.

Well, Dion has definitely shown the hunger…

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, major said:

Eye of the tiger, man.

That speech, particularly when Apollo says "you've got to get it back," is one of my favorite movie lines of all time and I quote it frequently.  The scene that follows, with Rocky doing wind sprints on the beach, etc. is very inspirational too.  Maybe McD will show it to the team!

6 minutes ago, Airseven said:

My Rocky rankings:

I

II

IV

III

V

Rocky Balboa

Mine:

I

III

IV

lost track after that

For some reason, II never resonated with me that much.

Edited by msw2112

We need breaks, luck whatever you want to call it. We need minimal injuries.  We need people to not die or almost die in the organization. We need better weather in our open stadium.  We need better coaching so something as embarrassing as :13 never happens again.  McDermott is no Mickey Goldmill.  

If some or all of this can be part of this upcoming season then yes I like our chances. We're not likely to see a qb as amazing as Josh for another 50+ years so let's not screw this up.  "Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up"......

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well, Dion has definitely shown the hunger…

In all seriousness, Josh said on SiriusXM NFLRadio the other day that Dion had lost 30-40 lb. and was wearing a sweatsuit during TC. He said all the offensive linemen look up to and admire him. He said Dion has shown how badly he wants it, and as the leader of the OL he has led by example.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I have my doubts honnestly

It all started for me in the playoff game against the Bengals.

You dont turn it on and off like a water faucet.

I just want them to have the juice at the end of the year the way they started. Confidence breeds confidence. I know, a lot happened after that, but they showed their potential early in the season. Now we have probably morphed a bit and hopefully Dorsey has grown some into the job. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, major said:

Showing my age (both with the Rocky reference and what is about to follow), but I remember when I saw the 85 bears, 1994 Niners, and the 2000 Ravens, I could tell they were going to win it all. 

The Bills looked like they were going to win it all at TC in 1990. The team was confident and had that swagger. Thurman Thomas even wrote "Tampa" on his cleats (the site of the SB that year). We finished 13-3, got the number one seed, were favorites in the SB, and had even beaten our opponent, the Giants, at the Meadowlands earlier that season. We all know what happened, but we should have won that game. 

So, I hope the Bills do have that look this year; after all, from all reports, they are very focused and this is the most talent McD has had, but things have a funny way of working out even with best of teams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, chongli said:

In all seriousness, Josh said on SiriusXM NFLRadio the other day that Dion had lost 30-40 lb. and was wearing a sweatsuit during TC. He said all the offensive linemen look up to and admire him. He said Dion has shown how badly he wants it, and as the leader of the OL he has led by example.

I'd love it to be true, both for him and for us.

We'll see soon enough.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

My Rocky rankings:

I

II

IV

III

V

Rocky Balboa

Rocky IV and V were horrible, IMO. 

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

The first was a great movie but, like The Godfather I enjoyed the second one more. 

Of course it's JMHO...

GF II  was way better than the first. GF 3 was pretty bad. JMO

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chongli said:

I'm glad to hear Dion has shown how badly he wants it and been a leader to the OL

But, wearing a sweatsuit during TC, doesn't that just help you lose water weight?  OK for a guy trying to make weight and stop the daily fines, but not healthy or long term sustainable?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm glad to hear Dion has shown how badly he wants it and been a leader to the OL

But, wearing a sweatsuit during TC, doesn't that just help you lose water weight?  OK for a guy trying to make weight and stop the daily fines, but not healthy or long term sustainable?

You are right. The first two hits of a quick search I did said it primarily helps you lose water weight and should only be done under medical supervision, due to the excess water loss. 

One link: 

https://powerliftingtechnique.com/are-sauna-suits-good-for-losing-fat/#:~:text=With the sauna suit%2C you,you keep the weight off.

I will try to relisten to the Josh Allen interview where he said Dion looked great and see of he has any more insights.  Since it's SiriusXM, I don't think there will be a link.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I think Dion had 25 pounds of extra water weight.. 

I said he would be fine through TC

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I will try to relisten to the Josh Allen interview where he said Dion looked great and see of he has any more insights.  Since it's SiriusXM, I don't think there will be a link.

I went back and listened to Josh's comments about Dion. First, Jim Miller of SiriusXM said Dion looks great and has re-made his body. Then Josh said he loves his mindset. He is doing all the right things, both on and off the field, and eating correctly. He's a leader on this team. He is treating his body well. He's already on his second contract and played in the league a long time, so all the guys look up to him and are inspired by him. They see how badly he wants it.

19 hours ago, Airseven said:

My Rocky rankings:

I

II

IV

III

V

Rocky Balboa

Rocky 4 is a fun guilty pleasure, especially for kids of the 80s Cold War era. But it’s a pretty bad movie objectively. Rocky 3 and 5 are unwatchable for me. Rocky 1 is a true classic. So gritty. The franchise got ridiculously campy. 

On 8/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Rumor inside the stadium is that Jordan Phillips is so hungry he sprinted all the way to the buffet line. Pulled hammy.

On 8/4/2023 at 2:25 PM, msw2112 said:

Then, due to the hammy, pulled up short and fell over, injuring his shoulder.

And in the process he stumbled into the buttocks of Spencer Brown who was innocently waiting in line, thereby causing Brown's lower back injury.

On 8/4/2023 at 3:04 PM, chongli said:

Why weren't we notified of this immediately?!?!?!??!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

In 2012, I was Selected as a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy, which is the rank of E-7 in other branches. At the very end of the long and arduous transitional period after which ended in a ceremony, I was asked what song I wanted played. I chose "Eye of the Tiger" because not only it is SO inspirational but also because Rocky is close to my last name/nickname... and to have it played going into the final night was one of the single biggest moments of my entire life. I will never look at another Rocky movie the same way again, so the title of this thread got me instantly!!!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

That’s very gay…

not that there’s anything wrong with that!

There's absolutely nothing gay about Rocky 3. It's no more gay than Top Gun

ceb8025ab061b567d48e63482d6e5f36116f1731

Oh, erm (*tries to think of an ultra macho 80s movie*)

Okay then, Predator

giphy.gif

Ah ***** it

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/4/2023 at 4:57 PM, major said:

Eye of the tiger, man.

yeah, I mean maybe. I’m of the mind that this whole “grit” stuff is almost 100% BS and talent wins out in the end. So long as most key players are checked in and not completely belligerent to the cause, if they’re good enough, they’ll be fine.

far as I’m concerned you can chuck “eye of the tiger” in with “grit” “culture” and “process” on the the big bonfire of boomer aphorisms and kill them dead.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.