Barbie vs Oppenheimer

unbillievable

Recommend only one movie to a friend/family member.

Comparatively, one movie will make you feel like a moron, while the other will leave you feeling like a genius.

I'm pretty sure I know which will make more money, by a wide margin. 

Edited by unbillievable

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Recommend only one movie to a friend/family member.

Comparatively, one movie will make you feel like a moron, while the other will leave you feeling like a genius.

I'm pretty sure I know which will make more money, by a wide margin. 

I am just sort of curious who the audience is for Barbie. It doesn’t seem to really fit any major demographic of movie goer. 

Saw Oppenheimer today at the local IMAX. 

Loved it. Nolan is just an amazing screenwriter and director. It's a little 'all over the place' for the first half of the movie, but it then ties up and makes total sense at the end. They did leave a lot of crazy/tragic things that happened that weren't in the movie... like the death of physicist Louis Slotin. They never really showed or talked about that. But WELL WORTH going to. The cinematography is amazing. Acting is amazing and it's PACKED full of A-List actors.

34 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am just sort of curious who the audience is for Barbie. It doesn’t seem to really fit any major demographic of movie goer. 

I heard that Ken went and saw Oppenheimer and now Barbie won't let him back in the Dream house.

• Haha (+1) 3

13 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Nolan is just an amazing screenwriter and director

Would you care to reconsider that?  Or could you please direct me to anything he's ever done worthy of such a comment? 

He's one of these people that Hollywood has deemed "a star" for no particular reason.  There are many such people.  I still don't understand what anyone ever saw in Tom Hanks, for example.  He's probably as successful of a living actor as there is.  Why?  

As someone who would have enjoyed the hell out of a well done film about Dunkirk, all I can say is the film Nolan made is terrible.

Have not seen, nor do I watch, comic book movies...so maybe his Batman stuff appeals to that audience.

Have not seen "Oppenheimer" but I would bet a good amount of money this film would have been much better and much more interesting had it been a straight-up, non-fiction, documentary...instead of whatever he made with actors and fictional dialogue.

It's always like that with films like that.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Tween to 25 year old girls AND boys, all with disposable income, are flocking to this movie.  

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-opening-weekend-shatter-records-1235677601/

Edited by Ned Flanders

40 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Would you care to reconsider that?  Or could you please direct me to anything he's ever done worthy of such a comment? 

He's one of these people that Hollywood has deemed "a star" for no particular reason.  There are many such people.  I still don't understand what anyone ever saw in Tom Hanks, for example.  He's probably as successful of a living actor as there is.  Why?  

As someone who would have enjoyed the hell out of a well done film about Dunkirk, all I can say is the film Nolan made is terrible.

Have not seen, nor do I watch, comic book movies...so maybe his Batman stuff appeals to that audience.

Have not seen "Oppenheimer" but I would bet a good amount of money this film would have been much better and much more interesting had it been a straight-up, non-fiction, documentary...instead of whatever he made with actors and fictional dialogue.

Not only are you criticizing a movie you have not seen but you are proposing improvements?!? 

I didn't actually read your whole post but it was stupid and could have been improved by replacing all of the words with new ones.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I saw Barbie and IMO, it is a bad movie.  A bizarre, cynical movie, with a mean-spirited undertone.  It doesn't like anybody, man, woman or the Barbie doll, and it makes all of the characters unlikeable in the end.  The theater was mostly silent.  The movie mentions the "cognitive dissonance of the patriarchy" at least 20 times.  Bizarre monologue by America Ferrarra, dance scene by Ryan Gosling.    I don't think all the kids in attendance had any idea what was going on.  It's really more like an art house film.  

Haven't seen Oppenheimer.  

MI7 was very good.  I enjoyed the science fiction angle of the story, but the way Paramount moved the story around falls short - the beginning should have been at the end, like originally scripted.  Paramount did it no favors releasing it on a Wednesday afternoon.  

Edited by dpberr

49 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Seems you have something against the man. Where did he touch you? Well... let's talk about his films (in backwards order)

Oppenheimer: 8.8 IMDB, 94% Rotten Tomatoes

TENET: 7.3, 69% (I believe most people simply didn't grasp the movie)

Dunkirk: 7.8, 92%

Interstellar: 8.7, 73% (one of my favorite movies)

The Dark Knight Rises: 8.4, 87%

Inception: 8.8, 87%

The Dark Knight: 9.0, 94% (arguably, the greatest comic book movie of all-time. May never be overtaken)

The Prestige: 8.6, 86%

Batman Begins: 8.2, 84%

Insomnia: 7.2, 92%

Memento: 8.4, 93%

Following: 7.5, 82%

He never fails in his films. Nominated for five Academy Awards and every one of his movies end up winning the "AFI Movies of the Year". Interstellar, with the help of Kip Thorne, accurately predicted what an actual black hole looks like. Dude is a flat out genius. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

my wife and sister in law took our daughter and niece to see barbie...the girls are 8-10.  it was too "old" for them.  the didn't dislike it, but i think it was just over their heads at this point.  my wife said it was ok, as it was more of a girl power type movie.  they just enjoyed taking the girls out to dinner and a movie, but i haven't heard anyone say they loved.  i'd guess the target audience would be preteen/teen girls and adults the grew up with barbie.  i get it...i was just as excited to see the mario movie as my kids.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

your opinions are always strong and terrible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, teef said:

my wife and sister in law took our daughter and niece to see barbie...the girls are 8-10.  it was too "old" for them.  the didn't dislike it, but i think it was just over their heads at this point.  my wife said it was ok, as it was more of a girl power type movie.  they just enjoyed taking the girls out to dinner and a movie, but i haven't heard anyone say they loved.  i'd guess the target audience would be preteen/teen girls and adults the grew up with barbie.  i get it...i was just as excited to see the mario movie as my kids.

your opinions are always strong and terrible.

Seeing as how it’s been a phenomenon since it was first introduced nearly 65 years ago, I’d say that list of adults who grew up with Barbie would include grandmothers, mothers, daughters, and granddaughters. The sheer size of that market makes it a can’t miss money maker for the studios. 

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

What did the rest of Joe's Senior Class vote you as when you graduated?  

32 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Seeing as how it’s been a phenomenon since it was first introduced nearly 65 years ago, I’d say that list of adults who grew up with Barbie would include grandmothers, mothers, daughters, and granddaughters. The sheer size of that market makes it a can’t miss money maker for the studios. 

absolutely. i saw a stat that over the last month, all things related barbie,(even pink items) have increased in sales by almost 600%. 

10 minutes ago, teef said:

absolutely. i saw a stat that over the last month, all things related barbie,(even pink items) have increased in sales by almost 600%. 

Between Barbie, Bama Rush, and the T Swift Eras tour, there has never been a more exciting time to be a young, vapid white woman.  #WhiteGirlSummer is off the chain!

• Haha (+1) 1

Wife and I saw Oppenheimer in IMAX Saturday. The acting, especially Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. is tremendous. Oscar worthy. But as a whole, the movie wasn't at the same level. Also 3 hours is too long. 

Meanwhile my daughter saw Barbie and highly recommends it. It's not meant to be a kids movie.

Neither movie is one I want to see badly. If I had to pick one I'd go with Oppenheimer, but its likely we won't see it in the theater...I usually draw the line at 2 1/4 hours for a movie lenght to watch in the theater.  3 hours for a movie, add 20 more for previews...just too long for me to sit in a seat in a theater.  Wife wants to see Barbie so I'll probably give in and go see that with her. Oppenheimer will be a must-watch, just at home in a few months.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Between Barbie, Bama Rush, and the T Swift Eras tour, there has never been a more exciting time to be a young, vapid white woman.  #WhiteGirlSummer is off the chain!

lol!  it really is.  i had to look up bama rush.  a piece of my soul died.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wife and I saw Oppenheimer in IMAX Saturday. The acting, especially Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. is tremendous. Oscar worthy. But as a whole, the movie wasn't at the same level. Also 3 hours is too long. 

Meanwhile my daughter saw Barbie and highly recommends it. It's not meant to be a kids movie.

my wife watched barbie movie w her friend this weekend and loved it

agree on length of oppenheimer, i will probably try to watch at some point but im not spending 3hrs in a movie theatre

We were in NYC a few weeks ago and it was impossible NOT to notice all the buses and digital billboards pushing Barbie. It was EVERYWHERE!

This is the first I’ve heard of Oppenheimer. I’d be much more likely to see that. 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

We were in NYC a few weeks ago and it was impossible NOT to notice all the buses and digital billboards pushing Barbie. It was EVERYWHERE!

This is the first I’ve heard of Oppenheimer. I’d be much more likely to see that. 

Where have you been the last month Augie? 😄

Saw Oppenheimer on Thursday night - opening night. Thought it was very good and was impressed. Acting was superb - would be surprised if it does not get Oscar nominations for acting. Some things I would tell people:

- It's long - 3 hours

- It is not in linear time - it jumps around and back in time (some people hate that)

- It's not all about building the bomb - much of it is what happens with Oppenheimer after the bomb

- You should know history and science because the movie doesn't really stop and explain these things like I thought it might - know Nils Bohr, Enrico Fermi, etc. as well as the basics of a fission bomb vs. a fusion bomb - helpful to know this going into the movie

- Nolan seems to have done his homework when writing - much of what happens in the movie has been backed up by historians (as opposed to Oliver Stone's JFK which was really Stone's view of what could have happened and jazzed up for a movie)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Made the mistake of going to see it the day I got back from traveling cross country with multiple cancelled and delayed flights. Fell asleep about 5 mins in. Three hours was perfect for a nap. But now I have to watch it again. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, The Avenger said:

- It's long - 3 hours

- It is not in linear time - it jumps around and back in time (some people hate that)

- It's not all about building the bomb - much of it is what happens with Oppenheimer after the bomb

- You should know history and science because the movie doesn't really stop and explain these things like I thought it might - know Nils Bohr, Enrico Fermi, etc. as well as the basics of a fission bomb vs. a fusion bomb - helpful to know this going into the movie

- Nolan seems to have done his homework when writing - much of what happens in the movie has been backed up by historians (as opposed to Oliver Stone's JFK which was really Stone's view of what could have happened and jazzed up for a movie)

If anyone is interested in filling in the holes, the book "The Making of the Atomic Bomb," by Richard Rhodes will fill in all the blanks.

A tremendous work, winner of the 1987 National Book Award.

Incredibly interesting and well researched.

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

If anyone is interested in filling in the holes, the book "The Making of the Atomic Bomb," by Richard Rhodes will fill in all the blanks.

A tremendous work, winner of the 1987 National Book Award.

Incredibly interesting and well researched.

I need to read that. The whole story of that is a good study in how we got from where we were to where we are. 

Barbie was very very stupid, but then again I’m not the target audience.

Oppenheimer was good but not great, little too long. I most enjoyed Florence Pugh.

Movie of the year is still the masterpiece John Wick Chapter 4.:worthy:

1 hour ago, boyst said:

I need to read that. The whole story of that is a good study in how we got from where we were to where we are. 

You will not be disappointed if you read it.

I read it because I wanted to go over the physics of the issue, and it was a subject I had forgotten.

It is a fabulous book, complete with all the characters and a real time addressing  of the issues; a novel with a huge scientific vein.  

No fiction.

I expect both of these movies to drop +60% in the second weekend box office, maybe more.

This was the hype weekend, with word-o-mouth landing on both as best seen on streaming services.

Most say the BARBIE trailers were misleading, while OPPENHEIMER was too long.

12 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Where have you been the last month Augie? 😄

I have this little hole in the backyard I go to from time to time. It’s my TMZ-free hideout.  😋

But seriously, I guess I don’t look in the right places. We were in NYC a few weeks ago and I kept seeing Barbie stuff everywhere. It was on every bus or flat surface in town! It took me (sadly) a little too long to realize it was a movie coming up.

If you said Oppenheimer, I would not have said movie. 

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have this little hole in the backyard I go to from time to time. It’s my TMZ-free hideout.  😋

But seriously, I guess I don’t look in the right places. We were in NYC a few weeks ago and I kept seeing Barbie stuff everywhere. It was on every bus or flat surface in town! It took me (sadly) a little too long to realize it was a movie coming up.

If you said Oppenheimer, I would not have said movie. 

I get it!  I'm usually late to the party on a lot of things but I think I first started hearing about Oppenheimer when this whole "Barbieheimer" thing blew up....I knew the Barbie movie was coming out soon but I was like what in the hell does Barbieheimer mean? LOL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.