McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And I suspect they will get until 2025 to win a SB. Hopefully it happens.

I see 2024 season being their last one if they continue to regress. But if they can just be competitive in the divisional round again, or better yet advance to the conference championship game, theyā€™ll be sticking around for a long while.

Ā 

their job security doesnā€™t depend on winning a Super Bowl but they canā€™t keep going backwards in the postseason.

24 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Ā 

Added Reid to your list as took him 21 years to win the SB.

The missing ingredient for Andy Reid though was an elite QB

Ā 

Mcd has had that for 3 years now.

Ā 

And letā€™s be honest if MCD didnā€™t have Josh Allen, is he still coaching the bills? Probably not

Ā 

I am not anti McDermott for the record. (although I will be if he canā€™t get over the hump this year)

i wonder if the timing (of the announcement of a long-done deal) was, in small part, targeted at Stephon Diggs.

Ā 

"yeah champ.Ā  Just so you know.Ā  You are not bigger than this train.Ā  It will keep rollin"

Ā 

Edited by maddenboy

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol again? Whatā€™s my success rate?Ā 

I donā€™t keep a running tally of every bad opinion and insane prediction made here; that would require a significant amount of manpower.Ā 
Ā 

But youā€™re definitely south of the Mendoza line.Ā 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

But, why?

Ā 

Didn't they have several years of contract left?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Doesnā€™t really matter I guess. Many coaches have been fired after signing extensions.

Right on cue I see. Ā Your schtick is as reliable as the sun rising in the morningĀ 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Failed to meet expectations two straight years, and were embarrassed on their home field last season says otherwiseĀ 

Maybe fansā€™ expectations are too high for this team. The owners seem to be fine with a perennial playoff team that sells seats and gets primetime games.Ā 

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

"... especially the black players???" Where is your head at?

Ā 

1 hour ago, julian said:

this is crazy

Ā 

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

this is sick.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Ā 

I agree with you on this pointĀ :thumbsup:

Ā 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

good lord

Ā 

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

Dude what are you talking about?? How is your first thought about this a race thing?

Sorry forgot racism does not exist. There is no scenario in the world that could have Pegula along with McD/Beane taking exception with a player questioning them. There could be no mindset of we are in charge not them. No worries about losing the players and needing to send a message that McD/Beane are here to stay, if your not on board then find a new home. Race could or could not play a part. But it happens all the time in the world. I have seen many times that you reward your own as a message to others. It could be blatant and purposeful, or just an unconscious way of operating. Heck why is the NFL still needing to create incentives to hire black coaches? Why do many black players still say they are treated differently? May not be the case here, but saying it does not exist is naive.Ā 

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Well like it or not we are stuck with McDermott for the next few seasons.Ā 

As much as I criticize him, the Bills could do a lot worse.Ā 

At this point we just have to sit back and hope Josh can deliver us a championship.Ā Ā 

Peyton won a SuperBowl despite Dungy. Allen will have to do the same.Ā 

I agree ā€œwe could do a lot worseā€ seems to be the standard. And if you subscribe to that then it canā€™t be argued. So be it.
Ā 

But Allen has already proven he canā€™t deliver a championship by elevating the players around him and carrying the load. The guyā€™s brain explodes due to the OL (which continues to be an afterthought for Beane). Something needs to change with personnel or play design.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Sorry forgot racism does not exist. There is no scenario in the world that could have Pegula along with McD/Beane taking exception with a player questioning them. There could be no mindset of we are in charge not them. No worries about losing the players and needing to send a message that McD/Beane are here to stay, if your not on board then find a new home. Race could or could not play a part. But it happens all the time in the world. I have seen many times that you reward your own as a message to others. It could be blatant and purposeful, or just an unconscious way of operating. Heck why is the NFL still needing to create incentives to hire black coaches? Why do many black players still say they are treated differently? May not be the case here, but saying it does not exist is naive.Ā 

no one said ā€œracism doesnā€™t exist.ā€ But nice try.

Ā 

And, again, there are very credible reports out there, that I shared here and you ignored, that these extensions were worked out and agreed to a while ago. Before the public Diggs drama.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This team was a literal disgrace for almost 20 straight years and these two completely turned it around. Nobody else that tried even got closeā€¦I donā€™t know how anyone could have an issue with it. Fraizer was the problem. I canā€™t wait for this yearĀ 

Josh Allen turned it aroundĀ 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Any fan who is against this doesnā€™t remember Donahoe, Levy (as GM), Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley, Dick Jauron, Mike Mularkey, Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey, and Gregg Williams.Ā 

Not everyone is a homer fan and happy of falling short of the Super Bowl

• Disagree 1

43 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Comparing Kelly to Allen is kind of pointless as a different era.Ā  While Allen would have been bigger than any QB back then he also may not have survived as well back then due to the pounding he'd have taken and defenses didn't need to worry as much about getting flagged.

Ā 

You're skirting and making excuses, not answering the question.Ā  So we'll take another approach, I'll cater to your arguments.Ā Ā 

Ā 

To start, McNabb also wasn't great, he was hardly Favre, Manning, or Warner either, much less Brady, his peers in those days.Ā  In fact, McNabb was a pretty average, at best, QB.Ā  Likening him to Newton is fair, they both had similar trajectories.Ā Ā 

Ā 

So let's rephrase the question, how would Reid have done with Favre, Warner, or Manning at QB?Ā  Ā I mercifully left Brady off of there for you.Ā  ;)Ā 

Ā 

BTW, would we even be having this conversation if a QB the caliber of McNabb had been drafted by Beane instead of Allen?Ā  I don't think so.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

43 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And I suspect they will get until 2025 to win a SB. Hopefully it happens.

Ā 

Well, if they make it to the end of their extension without having done so, Allen will be entering his back-9.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Ā 

You just drastically altered the argument by the post to which I responded.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Is that a standard to be held aloft as being great?Ā Ā 

Ā 

Our 90's era team blew that out of the water and Kelly was no where near as good as Allen.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Just sayin'

Ā 

Ā 

Also true

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, julian said:

Also true

Ā 

I'm getting ready to do an analysis on Polian/McD/Kelly contrasted with Beane/McD/Allen.Ā  Just looking at the data, both now thru 7 years, except for Beane who has only 6, is telling.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Ā 

The "word-of-the-day" appears to be stability.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Stability is one thing, ultimate competitiveness entirely another.Ā Ā 

Ā 

It's quite possible to have stability without being ultimately competitive.Ā Ā 

Ā 

But given what you said, what are your expectation(s) for the team this year?Ā Ā 

Ā 

Our playoff history isn't great here.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Playoff history...Ā Ā 

Ā 

We had zero playoff appearances or wins in the 17 years prior to McD.Ā  We've had 9 appearances and 4 wins since he's been here.Ā  It seems we're on an upward trajectory.Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

šŸ¤Æ

Oh well, I like the idea of keeping Beane but McD just doesn't have the chops to win us a close playoff game.Ā  Enjoy McShottenheimer if that's your thing?

Yes, rooting for the Bills has become much more enjoyable since McD took over and it will continue to be that way for many years to come. Sorry you canā€™t relate.

Edited by gobills404
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I donā€™t know, maybe, weā€™re in the middle of a month where weā€™re forced to celebrate the sexual identity of certain groups.Ā 

Ā 

If McDermott were a member of the LGBTQ community, I guarantee that would be highlighted.Ā 
Ā 

Come to think of it, exposesā€™ of public figures do often reference their spiritual beliefs .. in this country itā€™s typically Christian/Catholic or Jewish.Ā 
Ā 

I wouldnā€™t have an issue with the Jets extending Saleh and, as part of their description, saying ā€œProud, Muslim..ā€. Ā Itā€™s a big part of who he is. Ā We were told about that quite frequently when he was hired.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

You should really keep your constant homophobic crying and whining and victimhood about LGBTQ and Pride in the Politics section. Nobody's forcing you to be gay or celebrate anything.Ā 

Ā 

I have a LOT of issues with Christianity and the Church and how a lot of that community operates...but I have no problem with Pegula or McD himself celebrating themselves being Christian. That's their right, just like it is someone who is gay and wants to celebrate the freedom to do so and have simple things like marriage available to them that they didn't for the longest time.

Ā 

I'm not being forced to be Christian or celebrate Christianity just because they are, just like you aren't being forced to be gay or celebrate gayness. I have the option to not read or seek more information out about Sean's Christian beliefs, you have the option to do the same about anyone else.Ā 

Ā 

If McDermott is happier because of his Christianity or Saleh is because of his Muslim-(ness?) and if they want to talk about it and create prayer circles before and after games in front of everyone, I don't think it matters what I think of any of it, rock on. Same if someone wants to wear a Pride patch. It could literally be this simple if everyone was willing to do that.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1onemangang7 said:

I didn't think they were on the ho seat. I also wouldn't extend them, not yet anyway. Most of these guys been watching football since birth. How long have you been in country?

Ā 

Excuse me? Leave your f***ing racist remarks somewhere else you giant sack of horse manure.

Ā 

I was born in Buffalo and lived here most of my 45+ years. My father is from Turkey. And yes, he did it the right way, with a green card and is now a naturalized citizen if you need to know before you start trying to hunt him down for being an illegal and call ICE, I thought I'd save you the trouble.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

See this mentality I donā€™t getā€¦. Because the Bills were a ***** disaster for twenty years running, McBeane are now untouchable??ā€¦ theyā€™ve done a very good job, but for ***** sake theyā€™ve won nothingā€¦. how bout we raise the bar a little?Ā 

Ā 

Milestones...Ā  Ā For nearly two decades, we couldn't win many games, couldn't get into the playoffs as a WC, couldn't win the AFCE.Ā  Ā Now we do all those things.Ā  Beane and McD are raising the bar.Ā  They still need to raise it a bit higher.Ā 

Ā 

Terry is going to let them finish the job they've capably started.Ā Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Iā€™m good with this. The Bills have been one of the best teams in the NFL for the majority of McBeaneā€™s tenure.

Ā 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-total-nfl-wins-last-5-years

Ā 

4th in the NFL in total wins from 2018-present.Ā You donā€™t just throw that away.

Be as good as you can for as long as you canā€¦

Ā 

Weā€™ve been attracting good NFL free agents wanting to chase Super Bowls for a reason.

Ā 

No GM, no HC, entirely controls a season.Ā  No GM or HC guarantees a team a Lombardi.Ā  What you want is a guy who tilts the odds in your favor.Ā  McD and Beane both do that.Ā  By building a good team each year, they give us a legit chance for a trophy.Ā  If they stay around long enough, the gridiron dice will eventually favor us.Ā Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Ā 

I'm getting ready to do an analysis on Polian/McD/Kelly contrasted with Beane/McD/Allen.Ā  Just looking at the data, both now thru 7 years, except for Beane who has only 6, is telling.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Very interesting,

Ā 

Iā€™m all for making a change if thereā€™s a clear upgrade available, but Iā€™m not for making the change for the sake of change unless this goes dramatically south.

Ā 

Ā Iā€™m more of the mindset that if you continue to have a top 5 scoring offense and an elite QB year after year that at some point things will break your way and youā€™ll get that title.Ā 
Ā 

Ā Iā€™m in no way interested in watching Allenā€™s career being ######ed due to inept coaching, at some point the change needs to happen if they canā€™t get there.

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ā 

Excuse me? Leave your f***ing racist remarks somewhere else you giant sack of horse manure.

Ā 

I was born in Buffalo and lived here most of my 45+ years. My father is from Turkey. And yes, he did it the right way, with a green card and is now a naturalized citizen if you need to know before you start trying to hunt him down for being an illegal and call ICE, I thought I'd save you the trouble.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

My mom did it the right way too.Ā  People do not realize how hard it is for foreigners to get their citizenship.Ā Ā 

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Playoff history...Ā Ā 

Ā 

We had zero playoff appearances or wins in the 17 years prior to McD.Ā  We've had 9 appearances and 4 wins since he's been here.Ā  It seems we're on an upward trajectory.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Yes, in 7 seasons.Ā  Three wild-card wins, once over a Skylar Thompson led Fins, which we barely won, once over a pretty bad NE team led by a rookie QB that seems to be destined for career back-up status, once more in a wild-card game whereby we were outplayed yet won a down-to-the-wire squeaker, and one divisional game whereby the offense played its worst game of the season.Ā Ā 

Ā 

0-4 on the road, 1-2 in divisional games with that last aforementioned game as the win, and 0-1 due to a historically noted horrific error in judgement by the one you're defending.Ā  On top of all that, a trend towards the worse, and doing less with more.Ā Ā 

Ā 

It would seem that this has become the standard for Bills football these days.Ā Ā 

Ā 

The drought era damaged our fanbase's expectations for what good football really is in a very serious way.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Ā 

No one is questioning our prowess in the regular season, no one.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Regular season prowess buys you a ticket into the playoffs.Ā  It's important.Ā  We haven't had a coach for a long time who could do that.Ā  McD does it regularly.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Football in the playoffs is played with the same rules with the same players.Ā  It's not some special animal.Ā  The only difference is that the 'schedule' gets tough.Ā Ā All the teams are good.Ā  Each game is, more-or-less, a 50-50 proposition.Ā 

Ā 

But the Bills - under McD - can beat anybody.Ā  They just need to string enough victories together in the playoffs to walk away with a championship.Ā  They haven't done that - yet.Ā  But give them enough shots at it and they will.Ā Ā 

3 minutes ago, julian said:

Very interesting,

Ā 

Iā€™m all for making a change if thereā€™s a clear upgrade available, but Iā€™m not for making the change for the sake of change unless this goes dramatically south.

Ā 

Ā Iā€™m more of the mindset that if you continue to have a top 5 scoring offense and an elite QB year after year that at some point things will break your way and youā€™ll get that title.Ā 
Ā 

Ā Iā€™m in no way interested in watching Allenā€™s career being ######ed due to inept coaching, at some point the change needs to happen if they canā€™t get there.

Ā 

That's all fine and dandy, but the question that I keep asking the most ardent McD (and Beane) defenders in the forum here, yet which to date has yet to be answered, is how many years should that "some point ..." take to occur?Ā Ā 
Ā 

Also, in your post there seems to be an underlying premise that with better coaching that would happen, or already have happened (AHEM, "13 Seconds" in 2021), but that our hope lies in pure happenstance.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Just sayin'Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

29 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Don't bother. You are forgetting that free agency didn't even exist for part of his tenure and there was the very mild "Plan B" Free Agency from 1989-1992, after which full free agency started.

Ā 

Think it would be quite a bit easier back then considering there was nobody bidding against them for players they drafted.

Ā 

The Bills last Super Bowl appearance coincided with the start of full free agency in 1993.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Question for the look how much better we are than before McBeane argument:

Ā 

When do you make a change? Only if they start losing? Say the team can go 10 straight years winning 12-13 games but never makes a super bowl appearance? I don't think you fire anyone for what they have done thus far, but it is also not a lifelong pass. Coaches rarely can replace talent, but coaches can limit the potential of talent. Thus far McD has met expectations with having a talent like Allen and the rest of the team. If he loses with Allen then clearly he has failed. But when is not winning enough the issue? When do you need a coach that can elevate the talent?Ā 

19 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Yes, rooting for the Bills has become much more enjoyable since McD took over and it will continue to be that way for many years to come. Sorry you canā€™t relate.

Like I've said a million times. Because McD got us out of the drought,Ā  all most fans expect from him is winning the "regular season" title and entertainment.Ā  The playoffs or any aspirations for a championship are completely unnecessary.Ā 

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Ā 

That's all fine and dandy, but the question that I keep asking the most ardent McD (and Beane) defenders in the forum here, yet which to date has yet to be answered, is how many years should that "some point ..." take to occur?Ā Ā 
Ā 

Also, in your post there seems to be an underlying premise that with better coaching that would happen, or already have happened (AHEM, "13 Seconds" in 2021), but that our hope lies in pure happenstance.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Just sayin'Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Of course there are no guarantees, but continuing to fail without change doesnā€™t sound logical even if you believe theyā€™re good enough to win it sooner or later.

Ā 

For me personally, if they havenā€™t won a title when itā€™s time to extend Allen on another monster deal, then itā€™s time to go in a different direction.

Ā 

Ā I reserve the right to be totally incorrect in my assumptions and opinions because I donā€™t know *****!!

Edited by julian

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why is it such a crime to acknowledge how well Beane and McDermott have done, while also opining that itā€™s not good enough?

Ā 

It's not. It's also met so many times with "well do you want to go back to the drought years???" As if these are the only two options.Ā 

59 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This is what having the 3rd best record over the last five seasons deserves. I donā€™t understand how anyone canā€™t understand that.Ā 

Ā 

With a decline in playoff success the last two years while the coach on his side of the ball has been given an elite level of resources and has failed us tremendously every single year in the playoffs.Ā 

Ā 

I understand what you're saying but I do think it's more complicated than that. There is an expectation of going all the way when you have an elite QB.Ā 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.