Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

Just now, Doc said:

It should have gotten Frazier demoted/fired.  Now McD is calling the shots.  If nothing improves, then the hot seat talk should start.

This is really all I'm saying. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Or he could Reid with the Eagles.

Considering that's where he started his career, the analogy aint half bad...

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

Obviously Diggs should chill out, return to practice, and focus on making the 2023 Buffalo Bills the best team they can be.

That said, if he's bitter about his role in the offense, he's right. 

He caught 108 passes last year.  That is 4th most in the league. And he has a problem with that? 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

What exactly do you expect McDermott to say?

He would have been better off saying that diggs was excused instead of saying he wasn't there.  

Instead, now it looks like he lied about Diggs being there with all the reports flying back and forth and had to recant that he was there but then left before practice.  It's just a much worse look.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Not gonna sugarcoat it - this sucks. The fact that McD is "very concerned" after supposedly having meetings with Steph the last couple days is troublesome to say the least.

Him and Josh going from besties to whatever they are now isn't great either. You don't have to be best friends to play well together, but if there's been a relationship breakdown that can absolutely impact performance. Those guys need to be able to trust each other on the field and not let emotions get in the way. 

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Same amount of Super Bowls

Similar MO of melting down in the playoffs.

No comparison is 1:1. You either understand the point I was using Lewis to (loosely) illustrate, or you end up on @Einstein's homer list!

"Melting down in the playoffs" apparently means:

• Losing a very tight WC game to a clearly superior opponent.
  • Losing the AFCCG to a clearly superior opponent.
  • Coming up on the losing end of arguably the greatest playoff game ever played.
  • Getting rolled by a top-3 team on a day when the team was clearly flat and emotionally uninvested.

Obviously I'd like to win the SB every year, but 11/12 playoff teams lose their final game of the season, and I can live with this track record.  I'm not seeing a consistent pattern of anything resembling a "meltdown" here.  I mean, maybe the HOU game qualifies, but we were just happy to be there that year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

He would have been better off saying that diggs was excused instead of saying he wasn't there.  

Instead, now it looks like he lied about Diggs being there with all the reports flying back and forth and had to recant that he was there but then left before practice.  It's just a much worse look.

That would make McDermott a liar...a liar for a player who is jerking his chain. 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

He caught 108 passes last year.  That is 4th most in the league. And he has a problem with that? 

I don't know about Diggs, but I have a problem with it.  I know the stats, but he really did disappear at key moments last year, and I'm positive that's not on him.

• Agree 1

I feel so bad for Josh after watching that press conference... what kind of person put their friend and teammate in that position. Pretty selfish. Josh was just at mercy of media and seemed to handle it the best he could but the answers were so vague and caused a lot of confusion 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

He had a career high in TDs as well in 2022.  The odd thing is he is probably right. Diggs caught 127 balls in 2020 in 16 games.  And that was with Beasley getting 82 receptions. He probably correctly believes that without a credible slot threat in 2022 he should have had 3-5 more targets a game and thus somewhere around 120-130 receptions.  So yes in the correct context, wanting more receptions than 108 makes sense.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This Diggs situation needs resolving quickly. It doesn't sound like Stef wants out or is hankering for a trade or anything like that at this stage but there is clearly some disconnect between him and someone in the organisation. They need to get it sorted asap. Stef needs to apologise for his behaviour after the playoff game and the team and its key players - McD, Beane, Josh, Dorsey - need to make sure Stef feels the love and that he is all in. 

I think this could be what it's all about. McDermott wants him to apologize for what he did and he feels that the reason behind his actions were justified. And honestly, I agree with him.

Ultimately, I think both were right. Stefon could have handled it better. But he wasn't wrong in his frustration. In both Playoff exits in back to back years, the game plan was use Diggs as a Decoy. And in the Cinci game in particular, it clearly wasn't working and both Allen and Dorsey refused to change the game plan when it wasn't working. 

Was it unacceptable how he acted? Yes. But was it also unacceptable that we were getting absolutely TROUNCED by Cinci with the game plan we had and then didn't make changes. Absolutely!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Yeah but just showing up isn't the point of minicamp: it's practicing.

Edited by Doc

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No comparison is 1:1. You either understand the point I was using Lewis to (loosely) illustrate, or you end up on @Einstein's homer list!

Everyone is on Einstein's homer list even Einstein himself. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

That would make McDermott a liar...a liar for a player who is jerking his chain. 

Not necessarily.  McD could very well have told Diggs to leave before practice.  Maybe not so nicely if there was any conflict going on between him and Diggs or Dorsey or whoever.

Either way, McD does the "coach speak" all the time which is basically omitting all the details which is basically lying anyways.

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

"Melting down in the playoffs" apparently means:

• Losing a very tight WC game to a clearly superior opponent.
  • Losing the AFCCG to a clearly superior opponent.
  • Coming up on the losing end of arguably the greatest playoff game ever played.
  • Getting rolled by a top-3 team on a day when the team was clearly flat and emotionally uninvested.

Obviously I'd like to win the SB every year, but 11/12 playoff teams lose their final game of the season, and I can live with this track record.  I'm not seeing a consistent pattern of anything resembling a "meltdown" here.  I mean, maybe the HOU game qualifies, but we were just happy to be there that year.

The first 2 are not meltdowns. Although we could probably nitpick through that Texans game.

The amount of non-communication and non-coaching that lead to the 13 seconds loss is a coaching meltdown.

Allowing your team to show up and play so uninvested and disinterested is a coaching meltdown.

While I understand, and even defended all the reasons, for the team to be exhausted in that Cincy game, it is still a coaching failure. As was the way the team was playing during the last 2/3rds of last season. Skating by on talent, in spite of subpar coaching.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yeah but just showing up isn't the point of minicamp.  It's practicing.

Everyone knows that.  But this would at least allow everyone to save face and keep it behind closed doors.  Now it's the same as your gf throwing your laundry out the 6th floor window while you both screen back and forth at each other.

3 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I feel so bad for Josh after watching that press conference... what kind of person put their friend and teammate in that position. Pretty selfish. Josh was just at mercy of media and seemed to handle it the best he could but the answers were so vague and caused a lot of confusion 

Putting Josh in that position is definitely not some thing a leader would do

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What exactly do you expect McDermott to say?

Same thing Allen said.  He should have said it's on me to figure out how what is going on with Diggs and work through it.  He shoudl have said I will keep spwkaing wiht him like the adult that he is.  McD just inflamed whatever the situation is with his "very concerning comment". There is absolutely nothing that is very concerning about OTA's.  Allen said it.  4 reps in June mean nothing.  He said nothing they are doing now means anything during the season.   McD made a fiery situation worse and then just said no more questions. Allen stood in there and took the bullets.  

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think this could be what it's all about. McDermott wants him to apologize for what he did and he feels that the reason behind his actions were justified. And honestly, I agree with him

I have no idea if that is the disconnect, but I agree that it is absolutely unacceptable how Diggs acted after that playoff game.

And then to follow it up with deleting all the Bills stuff from social media.

And then skip OTA’s.

And then leave mandatory camp?

We are watching a downward spiral in real time.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Someone that is self-absorbed, selfish, and lacking in any degree of maturity. 

I will say that my one buddy who is a Steelers fan Warned me when I told him how close Diggs-Allen were a few years ago. He said back then, “just wait. All these diva wide receivers are the same. One thing goes wrong, and that is all out the window.” He was absolutely right. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No it's not. The Billsiest thing would be for us to fire a coach that gets us to the playoffs yearly and averages 12 wins/season.

McDermott was the right coach to repair the locker room and national perception. He’s a good man who crafted a respected competitor. But he’s not a tactician and comes up short in alarming fashion against elite teams when it counts. He has served his purpose. I hope Pegula accepts this before Allen turns 30.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Everyone knows that.  But this would at least allow everyone to save face and keep it behind closed doors.  Now it's the same as your gf throwing your laundry out the 6th floor window while you both screen back and forth at each other.

Diggs showed up and left.  Keeping it behind closed doors wasn't an option anymore.  Saying he was would have been a lie. 

Today’s Diggs news is just a confirmation of his entire offseason attitude. He’s been acting like a self-centered diva who has a me first attitude. He was throwing a fit on the sideline of the Cincinnati game.   He’s quietly and not so quietly continued to throw a fit ever since. Diggs hasn’t made positive comments on any new free agent signees or draft picks, he does make cryptic drama quotes, etc.  I think the only positive Bills related comments were about former Bill, Cole Beasley.  He retweeted McKenzie, Edmunds & Tyrod Taylor, but no current Bills.  

BTW, Vikings fans are laughing. They saw the same Diggs there that we’ve seen since January.  

Josh Allen is again having to take the high road and clean up a PR mess Diggs created. It’s been happening since the playoffs.  Allen’s been a great friend and defender of Diggs. I’m hoping Diggs will eventually return the favor, but I’m not holding my breath. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Look at the season trend. He was on pace for a 2000 yd season, and then he barely cracked 50 yds a game after the Vikings game. He didn’t have another 100 yd game the rest of the way until the Pats*** game to end the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, it was just an example to illustrate what sticking with a "good" coach will get you. There are probably better examples, and absolutely plenty of them. Its a common mistake.

Will the Bills make it as well?

Yea it was a bad example. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Someone that is self-absorbed, selfish, and lacking in any degree of maturity. 

I will say that my one buddy who is a Steelers fan Warned me when I told him how close Diggs-Allen were a few years ago. He said back then, “just wait. All these diva wide receivers are the same. One thing goes wrong, and that is all out the window.” He was absolutely right. 

LOL. It's McD that put Allen out there to take the questions that he wouldn't answer.  Not Diggs. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Allen changes the play a lot, so I think the answer to that is absolutely.

He does motion and point at the line.  Could be run/pass check.  Does he have the ability to check out of any play?  Idk.  No one does.  Just brainstorming some ideas.  Again this looks and feels like Diggs having an issue with someone on the staff, his say in the offense, or the offensive philosophy.  

Just now, The Jokeman said:

And how many teams DID lose to the 49ers 3rd string QB? Honestly the almost loss is so lame as we dominated most of that game until a few mistakes made it close but you know what, we won. 

Three of Josh's turnovers led to 18 Dols points.  But they won.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Let's not get carried away now LOF'nL!:lol:

Kyle Shanahan was the Peyton Manning of HC prospects.   Son of a HOF'er and SB champion.

Brian Daboll was fired at his first 3 NFL offensive coordinator jobs and then had to kick around as a TE coach for another 8 years or so before his coach helped him get an easy job at Alabama and when he left Nick Saban was none to distraught to see him go.   He comes to the Bills and produces the worst scoring offense the NFL had seen since the merger thru the first half of 2018.    Then after a tremendous 2020 he shat himself enough in the 2021 season that he'd never have gotten an NFL HC gig in that cycle if Joe Schoen wasn't at the front of the package.    

Plenty of bums have had a good first season as an NFL HC.   NY Giants Ben McAdoo ring a bell?  McDermott might not be the answer but just because Daboll caught some teams by surprise and got Daniel Jones to throw double digit TD passes I wouldn't be expecting that success to continue as the bar raises.   

You have posted this several times before so let me try to address. 

It's true daboll had a slow start to his career and was fired several times as OC. But this can prove a broader point in that it can take several years for an OC to become good. Dorsey in his unimaginative play calling is living proof of that.

Daboll was key in Josh's development. I think we can all agree on that.

Then he gets the HC gig at NY and turns a perennial losing team into a winner and leads them to the playoffs. An incredible accomplishment. 

Not only that, he get HC of the year and resurrects Daniel Jones career who before Daboll was widely thought to be a bust. Taking the Giants to the playoffs was a monumental task.

In your biased tirade against Daboll you conveniently left out these facts.

It's OK you don't like daboll and we get it. But the rest of the NFL recognizes his achievements hence the coach of the year award

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

Today’s Diggs news is just a confirmation of his entire offseason attitude. He’s been acting like a self-centered diva who has a me first attitude. He was throwing a fit on the sideline of the Cincinnati game.   He’s quietly and not so quietly continued to throw a fit ever since. Diggs hasn’t made positive comments on any new free agent signees or draft picks, he does make cryptic drama quotes, etc.  I think the only positive Bills related comments were about former Bill, Cole Beasley.  He retweeted McKenzie, Edmunds & Tyrod Taylor, but no current Bills.  

BTW, Vikings fans are laughing. They saw the same Diggs there that we’ve seen since January.  

Josh Allen is again having to take the high road and clean up a PR mess Diggs created. It’s been happening since the playoffs.  Allen’s been a great friend and defender of Diggs. I’m hoping Diggs will eventually return the favor, but I’m not holding my breath. 

How many playoff games have the Vikings won? They are in rebuild mode.  They have nothing to laugh about.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

LOL. It's McD that put Allen out there to take the questions that he wouldn't answer.  Not Diggs. 

OK your post on this are just starting to get ***** bizarre

People want to talk to Josh Allen and not necessarily for the diggs thing. What is it gonna do call Josh Allen back from the press that would look even worse

1 minute ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

Allen should have deferred the entire thing to McD who should be speaking on behalf of the team.  

This thing has turned into a major national soap opera and barring some unforeseeable simple explanation for which it would be a miracle if that were the case right now, this bodes terribly for the season, for McD, for Diggs, for Beane, pretty much everything.  If it doesn't get resolved soon then it will be just one more thing that the Bills have to try to live down.  

My question is why TF didn't they address this in the what, 5 months 'til now, rather than having it weigh-in on the first mandatory day of practice.  

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

You have posted this several times before so let me try to address. 

It's true daboll had a slow start to his career and was fired several times as OC. But this can prove a broader point in that it can take several years for an OC to become good. Dorsey in his unimaginative play calling is living proof of that.

Daboll was key in Josh's development. I think we can all agree on that.

Then he gets the HC gig at NY and turns a perennial losing into a winner and leads them to the playoffs. An incredible accomplishment. 

Not only that, he get HC of the year and resurrects Daniel Jones career who before Daboll was widely thought to be a bust. Taking the Giants to the playoffs was a monumental task.

In your biased tirade against Daboll you conveniently left out these facts.

It's OK you don't like daboll and we get it. But the rest of the NFL recognizes his achievements hence the coach of the year award

You can like Brian Dabul, and still understand the fact that he has not yet done enough in the NFL to warrant ***** canning our current staff and replace them with him. He took a team and got them to the playoffs. Congrats to him and he’s a good coach but our team has been doing that for years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Allen should have deferred the entire thing to McD who should be speaking on behalf of the team.  

This thing has turned into a major national soap opera and barring some unforeseeable simple explanation for which it would be a miracle if that were the case right now, this bodes terribly for the season, for McD, for Diggs, for Beane, pretty much everything.  If it doesn't get resolved soon then it will be just one more thing that the Bills have to try to live down.  

My question is why TF didn't they address this in the what, 5 months 'til now, rather than having it weigh-in on the first mandatory day of practice.  

Because McD is married in high fidelity to his process and will cut off his own nose to spite his face

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.