Allen willing to change

Scott7975

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Seems like this article writer lifted the whole quote from the source cited in another thread on this exact topic:

“I’ve always had the mindset of, I’ve been a football player first and a quarterback second,” Allen said about his style of play, via Lorenzo Reyes of USA Today. “At some point that is going to have to switch. When that point is, I don’t know. I guess I’ll let my body tell me.

“It sounds crazy, but I’m getting older. I know I can’t continue to do this. I know when I’m using my youth, I feel like I can, but over the course of my career, I’m going to have to learn to adapt and change.”

""I know this sounds crazy, but I'm getting older," Allen said, via the team's website. "It's like I can't continue to do this. I know when I'm using my youth I feel like I can, but over the course of my career, I'm going to have to learn to adapt and change."

"At the end of the day, it's just being smart with the football, smart with the body, and understanding situational football really better," Allen said. "If there's a third down where we got to get it, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get it. But if it's a second and 10, I got 9 yards to go, no need to put the shoulder down and try it. We can get it on third and 1 with our players and trusting the guys around me. And if not, so be it, we'll put Von Miller back on the field and let him go to work too."

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Bro, you’re one of the silliest posters in board history.  No one takes you seriously.  ✌️ 

My ego is just fine. I don't need nor look for validation. 

I express my opinions related to the Bills and football. Often, I am not in the majority opinion nor am I correct. If others dislike and or disagree with my posts then so be it. That's the beauty of this forum. 

Have a blessed day no hard feelings on my part dispute the insult.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Well, I think there's only so much that can change when it comes to Allen. I mean certain situations he could do a little better like taking what the Defense gives him at times and whatnot.

But he is what he is and will still play his game more often than not I expect. He will still have those plays where he picks ups chunk yards with his legs.

That type of play is not the issue, the issue is taking a hit in stead of getting out of bounds or sliding to avoid said hit at the end of those plays, That’s what his bosses want to see, and that’s is exactly what he needs to wrap his mind around. 

10 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The point is that lots of folks get excited when Allen runs…but the majority of his runs are simply due to a complete failure in the passing game.

Just surprising to me so many people cheer what is technically a utter breakdown in passing offense.

extension of plays is simply a failure to execute the play design.

if everyone is executing the play as it is designed … you shouldn’t be extending the play.  It’s not madden after all.

the QBs who win the Lombardi (on vast majority) win FROM THE POCKET.  Executing the offense.

This is an unrealistic expectation of Josh.  You want to take away one of the biggest things that makes Josh Allen, Josh Allen and shoehorn him into a Tom Brady type mold.

Steve Young was a very successful QB in this league and didn't sit in the pocket all game either.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

My ego is just fine. I don't need nor look for validation. 

I express my opinions related to the Bills and football. Often, I am not in the majority opinion nor am I correct. If others dislike and or disagree with my posts then so be it. That's the beauty of this forum. 

Have a blessed day no hard feelings on my part dispute the insult.

☮️ 

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The great QBs with multiple Lombardi trophies know the drill.

maybe one day you will too.

until then…enjoy the pointless scrambles and risk of injuries and fumbles and interceptions and early playoff exits.

And So you want to take the scrambling away from Allen... That is crazy . and if you take 3 steps back and down the ball like you said, that is called Intentional Grounding. Loss of down. You're not going to take the scramble out of JA.. Its stupid talk.. its who JA is to the core... What you do is take away all those planned QB Runs outside a 3rd or fourth and a half a yard..  Josh is a damn good scrambler and you want to take that away?

CLUELESS

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

And So you want to take the scrambling away from Allen... That is crazy . and if you take 3 steps back and down the ball like you said, that is called Intentional Grounding. Loss of down. You're not going to take the scramble out of JA.. Its stupid talk.. its who JA is to the core... What you do is take away all those planned QB Runs outside a 3rd or fourth and a half a yard..  Josh is a damn good scrambler and you want to take that away?

CLUELESS

the only time Allen should be running is on those few designed runs.

spiking the ball at the feet of your Blocking RB is not intentional Grounding at all.  It’s the move all Super Bowl Winnibg QBs who know how to fight another day have been doing for decades.

Scrambling is silly and pointless in unnecessary situations.  Just kill the play.  Save your body.  You’ll have plenty of more opportunities to win the game before the clock strikes 00:00.

5 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

spiking the ball at the feet of your Blocking RB is not intentional Grounding at all.  It’s the move all Super Bowl Winnibg QBs who know how to fight another day have been doing for decades.

Scrambling is silly and pointless in unnecessary situations.  Just kill the play.  Save your body.  You’ll have plenty of more opportunities to win the game before the clock strikes 00:00.

it is and you said it... he is not a receiver, he is blocking. he is in the pocket and throw is to the ground behind the line of scrimmage. If it were this easy Every QB would do it. 

Asking a good scrambling QB who throws out of the pocket very well to just do what you do is crazy man.

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

it is and you said it... he is not a receiver, he is blocking. he is in the pocket and throw is to the ground behind the line of scrimmage. If it were this easy Every QB would do it. 

Asking a good scrambling QB who throws out of the pocket very well to just do what you do is crazy man.

Brady, Manning, Bree’s, Rivers…etc 

have a killer plays by simply firing it at their running backs feet for decades.  It is never called a penalty.

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Brady, Manning, Bree’s, Rivers…etc 

have a killer plays by simply firing it at their running backs feet for decades.  It is never called a penalty.

you just named 4 QB's that were not the best of scramblers like JA. congrats.. and no.. they did not do it like you say

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

You mean like how Burrow did it in the AFCCG that killed a late drive with an intentional grounding? C’mon. I’m one of the biggest Allen critic on here and even I think you can’t take that part of his game away. Why would you? It’s a huge asset for the team. What you’d want is a middle ground. Run and slide. Run out of bounds. Avoid contact until absolutely necessary like in the playoffs. Kind of like the other qb that played in the AFCCG. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, boater said:

It's all just one season record. What makes week 14 more meaningful than week 1 or 2?

I’m obviously being facetious - they aren’t but if we’re good enough we won’t need to run any designed runs not counting RPOs. 

Which is another part of this.  We aren’t giving those up.  Do those count as “designed” runs?  I think they do.  But he can absolutely be smarter about the hits he takes and gives.  

Which is why he can almost always slide.  No DB wants to take him on coming at them full speed.  LBs barely do.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

You mean like how Burrow did it in the AFCCG that killed a late drive with an intentional grounding? C’mon. I’m one of the biggest Allen critic on here and even I think you can’t take that part of his game away. Why would you? It’s a huge asset for the team. What you’d want is a middle ground. Run and slide. Run out of bounds. Avoid contact until absolutely necessary like in the playoffs. Kind of like the other qb that played in the AFCCG. 

kill the play when it’s not there.  You’ll last longer.

especially kill the play when it’s not a vital point of the game.

not all 3rd downs are created equal.

21 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

you just named 4 QB's that were not the best of scramblers like JA. congrats.. and no.. they did not do it like you say

Brady lasted 20 years.  Because he knew when to kill the play.

just kill it.  No point hurdling a player on 2nd and 10 when you still have 3rd down to pick up a a play.

great for highlights … not smart at all.

3 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

kill the play when it’s not there.  You’ll last longer.

especially kill the play when it’s not a vital point of the game.

not all 3rd downs are created equal.

Brady lasted 20 years.  Because he knew when to kill the play.

just kill it.  No point hurdling a player on 2nd and 10 when you still have 3rd down to pick up a a play.

great for highlights … not smart at all.

man your saying 5 different things. No one asking JA to hurdle people.. THAT IS DIFFERENT.  But just taking 3 steps back and throw it into a blocking RB's FEET.. you can not do that.  I agree about the hurdling... but him not scrambling? that's just crazy talk.  NOW, If you were to tell me he is scrambling and he should throw the ball away before being hit while scrambling? I am game.. but what you said.. "taking a few steps back and throwing it to a blocking RB Feet" Silliness. And yes.. there are times you take the sack when you know you can drop safely (Something JA knows how to do very well)  but to your original statement you made going back 4 replies? That is crazy... and I think you know it lol

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

man your saying 5 different things. No one asking JA to hurdle people.. THAT IS DIFFERENT.  But just taking 3 steps back and throw it into a blocking RB's FEET.. you can not do that.  I agree about the hurdling... but him not scrambling? that's just crazy talk.  NOW, If you were to tell me he is scrambling and he should throw the ball away before being hit while scrambling? I am game.. but what you said.. "taking a few steps back and throwing it to a blocking RB Feet" Silliness. And yes.. there are times you take the sack when you know you can drop safely (Something JA knows how to do very well)  but to your original statement you made going back 4 replies? That is crazy... and I think you know it lol

It’s not totally crazy.  Brady made a second career of simply killing plays that weren’t there from the snap.

thd ball would hit his hands…know the play was a bust…and kill it.

no scrambling. No getting hit.  No wild throws that were intercepted or getting sacked and fumbled.

just an immediate fire it into the ground.

and everyone made okay.

the Qb States clean and healthy and the game continued on with many more opportunities to score and win in the remainder of the game.

not every third down as equal you don’t have to risk everything in the first quarter of a scoreless game or the second quarter of the game when you are down by a field goal.

What would need, is to realize the situation that you’re in.  And understand that every play is not “life and death”.

Something our current bills squad for several years has not really shown an understanding of.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. Allen has more than proved his body is durable and able to handle the hits when he takes off. Of course, no need to be reckless or take unnecessary risks. However, I tho k Allen does a decent job of protecting himself. He's a big body. 

I want Allen to use his legs. That's one part of his game that makes him dangerous. I don't want to see a pure drop back passer. I still want to see plenty of RPOs. 

You can't play the game scared or timid. Be assertive to aggressive when you play. Let's not limit Allen's toolbox. 

I 100% agree. For me it’s as simple as sliding instead of trying to bulldoze a LB or hurdle a LB. Running out of bounds before the hit instead of him being the aggressor just to gain one or 2 more yards. It’s that kind of stuff we need to limit/reduce drastically.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

It’s not totally crazy.  Brady made a second career of simply killing plays that weren’t there from the snap.

no scrambling. No getting hit.  No wild throws that were intercepted or getting sacked and fumbled.

and everyone made okay.

the Qb States clean and healthy and the game continued on with many more opportunities to score and win in the remainder of the game.

not every third down as equal you don’t have to risk everything in the first quarter of a scoreless game or the second quarter of the game when you are down by a field goal.

What would need, is to realize the situation that you’re in.  And understand that every play is not “life and death”.

Something our current bills squad for several years has not really shown an understanding of.

stop bringing up QB's that were not great scramblers.  you can not compare. I agree with throwing it away and not getting hurt... you go back to your original message and say Josh Allen should not scramble? thats still crazy.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

and everyone made okay.

If Josh Allen just killed every play where it looked like there was nothing there, the Bills would've lost every close game they played.

Part of Josh Allen's game is his mobility and it has been an integral part of his toolbox since he started playing QB.  It looks like you want to have the Bills QB play like someone who is not on this team.  As I said before, Steve Young is a HOF QB and SB Champion by being a mobile QB.  The 49ers didn't force him to try and be something he wasn't and he played in an era where it was open season on QBs. 

You bringing up QBs who are/were not mobile QBs is completely irrelevant to this discussion and is an apples and oranges comparison.  I can guarantee you if any of those guys could move like Josh moves, it would've been a part of their game.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

stop bringing up QB's that were not great scramblers.  you can not compare. I agree with throwing it away and not getting hurt... you go back to your original message and say Josh Allen should not scramble? thats still crazy.

Let’s split the difference (disagreement)

don’t scramble at meaningless points in games.

Unlike some I dont mind Allen running and think the designed QB run is fine. I'm in the camp that QB injuries are more likely in the pocket anyways. 

I want the hero ball to stop. Allen was far too careless with the ball last season and it made winning games harder. 

When its 3rd and 6 dump the ball off and let your RB take the hit making the first down. When it is 3 and 14 get 8 yards and kick the FG. There's only two opponents that you need to go all out to beat and that is KC and Cinci. Save the heroics for them.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Westside said:

Hopefully that means throwing the open short pass rather then playing hero ball.

Time in the pocket, a big new release valve and 2 speedy new WRs will help 

Picture Kincaid in the slot, knox on the line, but 5 can block so he can run a route too 🍆💦

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Makes sense. The only 2 times he has been hurt in his career have been getting hit in the pocket.

I think if you do an injury comparison, the vast majority of QBs get hurt on hits in the pocket.

Murray tore an ACL while running out of the pocket...Tannehill tore an ACL while running out of bounds, but most injuries are from in the pocket hits.

QBs getting hurt in the pocket doesn't excuse exposing yourself to more/unnecessary contact.

I think it would be a terrible idea if we tried to make Josh into something he is not.  The running threat he bring makes Allen so dynamic.  What concerns me are things like not sliding, not stepping out of bonds and lack of situational awareness of times when it is necessary to make contact with a defender(s).

The coaching staff/front office have not done Allen a lot of favors in regards to the run game/offensive line as well.  He is basically are short yardage back.  To their credit, it seems we finally invested in the interior line.   We have also gotten bigger in the trenches and added some North/South type of running backs. 

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Let’s split the difference (disagreement)

don’t scramble at meaningless points in games.

We can agree to disagree but I am not "splitting the difference"   Its simple. If josh has scrambled and nothing there then YES he should throw the rock away, but you could not take the scramble out of Good ole Young, Current Mahomes and won't take it out of JA. 

On 5/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, Big Turk said:

Makes sense. The only 2 times he has been hurt in his career have been getting hit in the pocket.

Chargers game he sprained his knee wrestling Joey bosa for half an inch at the LOS.   He also got turf toe vs the bucs running down the field. He got concussed vs ne running the ball and could not complete the game.  There is data that says a qb is more likely to get injured in the pocket but that does not mean they and he should not be smart about when to run and when to slide/go out of bounds/ throw an incomplete pass or take a sack.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Agree 1

The majority of Josh's runs should come from scrambling with a few designed runs sprinkled in. But he needs to do a better job of getting down or out of bounds.

Obviously there will be big moments in games where you can understand if he does take a hit or two to pick up a 1st down, but there's plenty times he takes defenders on when there's no reason to. One that comes to mind is in the 1st game of 2022 against the Rams. We're up 31-10 when Basham intercepts Stafford. After the return and taunting penalty against us we start inside the Rams 40 with 7 minutes to go in the 4th. Allen runs the ball on 1st down, takes on a couple of defenders at the end of the play and picks up 13 yards.  He could've very easily picked up about 10 yards and got down. Absolutely no reason to invite contact there, the game is already over.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Mahomes will scramble when the play breaks down too.  Wilson was an out of pocket passer.  Even Big Ben scrambled.  About the only one who didn't was Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Just a little point that this is an article that re-hashes other articles without new information.

It's based on a 4-18 press conference with Allen

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2023/04/18/bills-qb-josh-allen-acknowledges-need-change-his-style-play/11688288002/

and Beane's 5-4 appearance on the Jim Rome show as quoted on Pro Football Talk

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/04/brandon-beane-glad-josh-allen-plans-to-be-a-little-bit-smarter-when-running-this-season/

What's my point, I suppose I don't really have one, but with a lot of news organizations laying off reporters and journalists who have worked hard in the industry for years, I guess I just want to say "be aware" if you're giving clicks to a site that might be parasiting off other folk's work.  I dont' think it's plagiarism, they do identify the original sources of the info.  But perhaps consider to give your clicks to the original journalists, or to local Buffalo journalists who actually attend the pressers etc.

Well, also it's got some very peculiar English usage, as though it's written by someone who isn't proficient.

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think this is correct. 

Allen has missed game time for 2 injuries:

1) UCL injury as rookie in 2018 - helmet to elbow in pocket.  Missed 4 games

2) concussion due to hit while running - Sept 2019.  out for the game.  did not miss more than 1 game, but that may be luck

So of the game-time-lost injury, 1 was in pocket, 1 was outside pocket.  50-50.

Allen has had other injuries but has not missed game time:

1) UCL tear 2022.  No missed time but admitted after season it was a tear and it affected his throwing motion.  Hit was in pocket

2) Turf toe 2021.  While running

3) Knee injury 2020.  While running; corkscrewed into the ground by Joey Bosa while trying to evade a tackle outside pocket.

4) "shoulder injury" 2020 trying to throw while being tackled vs. Raiders; outside pocket, trying to extend play.  No time missed but quality of his play declined for about 4 weeks, and he was seen wearing a "linebacker brace" then tape on his shoulder.

I believe that would be 3 injuries outside the pocket (75%), 1 injury inside the pocket; if you want to go by "while running vs while throwing", again 50-50.

Fortunately he didn't miss time for these injuries but his abilities as a QB were impacted by at least 2 of them.  Our new WR Harty missed most of last season with a turf toe so those can be serious, and there's an element of luck that the knee injury was minor

In addition, a character in a book I like has a quote "no one told me my body would add up all the injuries and bruises I took in my 20s and send me a bill in my 30s".  It's not just the reported injuries or observed injuries that are of concern; it's all the contusions and bruises and strains and minor sprains that add up over time.

To maintain his efficiency as a QB over a long season, Allen has got to be smarter about how he runs (Slide!  Get out of bounds!) and how he extends plays.  If nothing else, some of his worst strip-sacks leading to points for the other team have been the result of trying too hard to extend plays.  Check it down, throw it away, live to play another down.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think if you do an injury comparison, the vast majority of QBs get hurt on hits in the pocket.

That's sort of like Willie Sutton's alleged answer when he was asked why he robs banks, isn't it?  "That's where the money is"

The vast majority of QBs spend most of their time in the pocket.

Anyway, I'm 100% with Gunnerbill on this: to reduce the wear and tear on Allen, he needs better protection first and foremost.

7 hours ago, Westside said:

Hopefully that means throwing the open short pass rather then playing hero ball.

Ba da BING, @Westside for the win

Beane has been stockpiling guys with YAC potential.  Throw the ball to them and let them earn their salt.

And, while we're at it, run if you wanna run, Josh, just SLIDE.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Answer? Protect Josh. I actually think that is more important than weapons. He isn't an elite processor. So he does need half a second longer than Joe Burrow or Mahomes but his arm and accuracy when he is set mean if you can give him that extra half second he is more capable than both of making chicken salad with chicken sh*t at receiver.

What is your evidence for this?  Or, while we're at it, for the notion that Allen needs a half-second longer than Burrow or Mahomes? 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The majority of Josh's runs should come from scrambling with a few designed runs sprinkled in. But he needs to do a better job of getting down or out of bounds.

Obviously there will be big moments in games where you can understand if he does take a hit or two to pick up a 1st down, but there's plenty times he takes defenders on when there's no reason to. One that comes to mind is in the 1st game of 2022 against the Rams. We're up 31-10 when Basham intercepts Stafford. After the return and taunting penalty against us we start inside the Rams 40 with 7 minutes to go in the 4th. Allen runs the ball on 1st down, takes on a couple of defenders at the end of the play and picks up 13 yards.  He could've very easily picked up about 10 yards and got down. Absolutely no reason to invite contact there, the game is already over.

Yup that's what one of the main changes they want from him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He was KOed by the Cheats in a long run, trying to get the extra yard for the 1st down. But indeed, most of the time, QBs get injured while trying to pass. 

59 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

What is your evidence for this?  Or, while we're at it, for the notion that Allen needs a half-second longer than Burrow or Mahomes? 

I think Allen is good as a processor, but I don't think it is one of the elite traits that separates him. Burrow is the best processor in the league IMO. You don't have to be an elite processor to be an elite Quarterback. I don't think Rodgers has ever been an elite processor either, but his physical talent and elite throwing mechanics have always more than made up for it. And the Green Bay Packers model has been to always prioritise his protection over his weapons (to his own frustration at times, clearly). Of course you want to give Josh both - protection and weapons - I said before last season I didn't think wr had done enough in either camp and so it proved, but I think protection is the most important. 

My evidence is the film. It's subjective, there is no simple metric that proves or disproves - but not for nothing his most consistent season was 2020 (highest passing yards, best completion %, highest ypa, most touchdown passes) and it was also the year per pro football reference he had his longest in the pocket pre-pressure. I think it is the best oline he has played behind too (although whether that was talent or my theory that in empty stadiums with games already feeling soulless the NFL intentionally backed off calling offensive holding is debatable). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.