Was the trade up necessary? 🤔

StHustle

Was it worth us trading up in the first and losing our 4th round pick?  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Considering the players still available and what we gave up, was trading our 4th round pick worth moving up two slots to draft Dalton Kincaid?

• Yes, it WAS worth it!
    • No, it is NOT worth what we gave up!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2023 at 11:37 PM

For me, this was a no-brainer.  Beane wanted to give Josh a weapon.  Certainly, that was the consensus on this board - please Beane, no defense.  As others have noted, three ways to do that - WR, TE or BRobinson.  The last was long gone, the four WRs tumbled fast and in any event were arguably somewhat interchangeable so if any lasted he might have grabbed one.  But when they were all gone, he had one mark left and jumped on him, knowing Dallas was going in that direction.  A nice combination of patience and decisiveness - get the weapon and control the cost.  Who can say how it will pan out, but that was not your question.   

21 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yes, the difference in value was 40 pts, our 4th rounder was worth 42 pts. We wanted a specific player, the team before us was long attached to the player. We made a move and drafted the player we wanted. Why don't you just add more instructions to this poll and tell everyone to vote not. Or better yet, just remove the option to vote yes. The question is valid, your attempt to get everyone to agree with you is not great.

Ok cool so we are on the same page. Don't try to categorize my post as anti trade cause it's not plus my vote is public.

7 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

They said they had the DT from Michigan higher than any TE which also means they probably didn't have Kincaid #1 out of the TE's. The only person that said they wanted Kincaid was Skip Bayless who has no affiliation with the team, he was just hoping they would get him as a fan 

I think you are ridiculously credulous if you are taking that explanation straight. Cowboys wanted Kincaid and the Bills got the jump on them. 

• Like (+1) 1

So here is a thought as others have said Dalton I'd more of a wr than a te. Given his basket ball skill set he can use his body to fend of dbs.

The big kicker

If coach will take the training wheels of the kid so he can actually play and not sit on the sideline.

I was skeptical of the trade-up when it happened, but it sounds like we really did need to leapfrog Dallas if we wanted Kincaid, and it's very easy for me to believe that he was the last guy left on Beane's board with a first-round grade.  So I'm fine with it, assuming that Kincaid is as advertised.

I mean, the pickings were getting awfully slim at that point.  

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Agree 1

How should we know?  There are lots of people who think Dallas was going to pick Kincaid, but there are multiple mock drafts projecting that Dallas would pick Michael Mayer even with Kincaid available.  Of course, Mayer was available to Dallas and they didn't pick him, but unless Jerry Jones volunteers the information, we're not going to find out what the intentions of the Cowboys might have been.  Jones will say, "We got the guy we wanted."  It's what GMs always say.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Did you see the look on their faces? It looks like we walked in the room, slapped all of them in the face, stole their Christmas, and farted on the way out the door.

Well, well worth it.

E6113B9F-530D-4994-8435-BE6154BB0D33.jpeg

What will make this even better is if the Bills beat the Cowboys this year, I hope its Kincaid who scores the winning TD. Then immediately after the TD I hope they show Jerry sitting in the owner's box. 

They identified a guy they had to have.  There was a team drafting ahead of us that may or may not have drafted him.  No one will ever know what they were going to do, either way, they may have taken him And that would’ve left us without the guy we wanted.  Sucks giving up a 4th, but in the greater scheme of things, making sure you get a 1st rd grade at a position of need is worth it 

👍🏻 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Entusiasm runs high this time of year.  

I remember the euphoria over Oliver and how he was the next Aaron Donald, and Cook last year, that he wouldn't just be another role player, yet many were hoping for a RB and still are in rounds 2 or 3.  And Rousseau.  

We'll see what happens, but rookie TEs typically don't make an immediate impact.  I'm not sure how many more years Beane and McD have left before cries for their replacements begin to surface.  

For now talk is cheap and the sky's the limit.  

Time will tell as it always does.  But going by popular opinion here is meaningless.  

Its a fair point to raise, but as the founding member of the “stop telling me they’re pass catchers” whine club… literally, view him as a pass catcher.  

WR’s make an impact early.  Yes, TE’s take time.  Kincaid can block some and give us some TE help… BUT he’s going to be our slot WR.  

He’s an absolute monster as a receiver. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

They identified a guy they had to have.  There was a team drafting ahead of us that may or may not have drafted him.  No one will ever know what they were going to do, either way, they may have taken him And that would’ve left us without the guy we wanted.  Sucks giving up a 4th, but in the greater scheme of things, making sure you get a 1st rd grade at a position of need is worth it 

👍🏻

I prefer the narrative where Jerry Jones is secretly seething and crestfallen.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yes. We wanted another playmaker in the passing game and all the top WRs were gone. We've tried for 3 years to have a 2 TE set and it never worked out. And he was probably the last player with a first round grade. 

I've been on the trade down bandwagon generally, but I'm fine with the trade and the pick

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Ok so Im like many of us Bills Mafians. I HATE the thought that we traded up unnecessarily for a pick Beane decided to make in earlier drafts. Welp here we are again, another draft, another trade up in the first. Some of Beane's previous trade ups were understandable while many others were highly questionable. FOR THIS SPECIFIC TRADE UP, do you feel Beane was completely justified? Even if you believe the Cowboys would have indeed selected Kincaid and for us to get him, trading up was necessary. If you dont feel the pick was worth the sacrifice, STILL VOTE NO. So my polling question here is, DO YOU FEEL THE TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2023 DRAFT WAS WORTH IT? Put your current opinion on the matter on the record RIGHT NOW!

Sounds like one of the polls I get on phone which there is only one right answer.

Other than not answering.

19 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

They said they had the DT from Michigan higher than any TE which also means they probably didn't have Kincaid #1 out of the TE's. The only person that said they wanted Kincaid was Skip Bayless who has no affiliation with the team, he was just hoping they would get him as a fan 

As if they were going to say “We wanted Kincaid but the bills were playing chess while we were playing pray”.

of course they’re going to say that. 

The couple cowboy fans at the bar were furious when they saw we traded up.  They knew.  The look on their faces was priceless.  They wanted him badly.  

Try to convince yourself that they wanted Mazi all along like the rest of the cowboy fans.  We’ll never know

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Something tells me Beane didn't trade up for fun. He felt he wouldn't be there at 27. 

He was in the room and I wasn't, who am I to say he was wrong?

Yeah, if you look at that kind of amusing vignette on the Bills website, he had the Cowboys (26) hat ready-to-go on top of the pile.  Meanwhile, his buddy was hunting desperately for the Bills hat - I think they had no idea the Bills were that interested in him, but they had an idea the Cowboys were.

If he lives up to his potential down they will be able to trade Knox down the road and recoup that pick, this guys ability to go up and ***** the ball in traffic cannot be coached, what can be coached is his blocking which is the lesser of his game. Go watch his highlights on youtube and tell me we have someone that can make the kind of plays this kid can.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

Below are our 4th round picks in the last 15 years.  Which ones would you not trade to get the player you absolutely wanted in the draft?  Gabriel Davis for sure.  Only Bradham and Johnson were even decent players on this list.  Its fine.  Don't lose sleep over it.  You can quibble over the player if you want.  Maybe they should have done it earlier to get a WR.  But don't quibble over the strategy and the loss of a 4th.

Gabriel Davis 

Taron Johnson

Cardale Jones

Ross Cockerel

Duke Williams

Nigel Bradham

Ron Brooks

Da'Norris Searcy

Chris Harriston

Marcus Easley

Shawn Nelson

Reggie Corner

Derrick Nelson

Dwayne Wright

Derek Fine

F74CBAFD-87F4-427F-8F9C-489A5B875394.gif

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Its a fair point to raise, but as the founding member of the “stop telling me they’re pass catchers” whine club… literally, view him as a pass catcher.  

WR’s make an impact early.  Yes, TE’s take time.  Kincaid can block some and give us some TE help… BUT he’s going to be our slot WR.  

Notable is his Zierlein draft profile, which essentially describes him as a receiver.  

Move tight end whose premium talent as a pass-catcher will be the primary focus for evaluators. Kincaid is a fluid route runner with the athleticism and play speed to create mismatches against lesser coverage. Impeccable ball skills and sticky hands allow him to tilt 50/50 contested throws in his favor. He lacks the play strength and technique to work in-line, but can handle some positional blocking in space from time to time. Kincaid can manage a more extended route tree, allowing calculating play-callers to open up the entire field and stress coverages. He will need to acclimate to a more physical/athletic brand of coverage, but should blossom into a weapon.

The reason "TE take time" is that they're asked to master the nuances of blocking technique and blocking assignments - which are NOT simple - as well as route trees and play design.  I'm sure the Bills will ask him to block, but the smart money says the Bills indeed view him as a big slot. 

• Like (+1) 1

In answer to your question, in a word, Yes.

A 4th round pick is a valuable one to a team that’s rebuilding a roster in an effort to get to the playoffs. 

The Bills are past that phase. Reinforcing a Super Bowl-caliber roster with added playmakers is their current state. 

Kincaid appears to have all the on and off-field traits that the Bills look for.  

I’m optimistic that he’ll become a valuable piece to the Super Bowl puzzle, helping to create mismatches in opposing defenses backfields.  If that scenario unfolds, I don’t think we’ll miss that 4th round draft choice. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes.

Last guy with a 1st round grade, and he was a need. And Dallas was going to take him. Had to happen.

Daniel Jeremiah had his as his #11 player in the draft. Cowboys were going to take him. Most people agree it was a great get, even at that cost. We need players who can make a difference. I think he can do that and is a better get than two JAGs. We need special, even if it’s not a WR. I’ve seen more highlight film on him (I know, highlights) and I like what I see. 

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The Bills were stupid

Frustrated Skip Bayless GIF

His name is not Bill, but he is indeed stupid. He will wear out my mute button! 

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So was Zay Jones as I recall.  The hype was off the charts on him.  

Again, we'll see.  Nothing is guaranteed except that he doesn't play OL or LB.  

• Disagree 1

Ok so Im like many of us Bills Mafians. I HATE the thought that we traded up unnecessarily for a pick Beane decided to make in earlier drafts. Welp here we are again, another draft, another trade up in the first. Some of Beane's previous trade ups were understandable while many others were highly questionable. FOR THIS SPECIFIC TRADE UP, do you feel Beane was completely justified? Even if you believe the Cowboys would have indeed selected Kincaid and for us to get him, trading up was necessary. If you dont feel the pick was worth the sacrifice, STILL VOTE NO. So my polling question here is, DO YOU FEEL THE TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2023 DRAFT WAS WORTH IT? Put your current opinion on the matter on the record RIGHT NOW!

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

So was Zay Jones as I recall.  The hype was off the charts on him.  

Again, we'll see.  Nothing is guaranteed except that he doesn't play OL or LB.  

Zay Jones was out of his mind, for some strange reason. That was a (mental health) outlier, in my mind. He’s still in the league, and I doubt we’ll ever know exactly what was going on behind the scenes. 

Gonna bet….

you would be the same person to B word we didn’t trade up to pick him over dallas because he had a good game against us next season ???in 

Its funny... you made this post acting like you hated it and you neeeeeeeeeeeever voted no. so lets put you on record.. Yes? Or No?

Just now, Augie said:

I guess that counts as an opinion. 🤷‍♂️

lol.. man I love these forums to death

buuut...

lol

20 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

If he lives up to his potential down they will be able to trade Knox down the road and recoup that pick, this guys ability to go up and ***** the ball in traffic cannot be coached, what can be coached is his blocking which is the lesser of his game. Go watch his highlights on youtube and tell me we have someone that can make the kind of plays this kid can.

This is the pick in a nutshell.  Add his movement ability and route running into the mix-  just need him to stay healthy. 

Seems like those that hate it are in the minority of Bills Mafians.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Bills fans should start to understand Beane will get the player HE wants in the 1st.  

What since he has been here 5 drafts with first round picks (minus the Diggs year) traded up in 4 of them to get the player he wanted.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

I think he already has decent rout running... Him watching Diggs every day will make it better :D 

Sorry if I didn’t get my point across correctly.  

i meant to say that he has great route running and movement ability.  Those 2 attributes + his elite ball skills are what sets him apart and a top 15 player in this draft imo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.