Good,the Ok,and the Ugly from day 1 of the draft

PatsFanNH

Ok here are a few thoughts on the draft:

Good (Amazing):

Eagles — That D front is going to be scary AGAIN next year, I almost feel bad for Dak facing that front twice. They got an absolute STEAL with Carter at 9.

Ok:(above average)

Bills - I like Kinkaid but I believe he has back issues? Doesn’t mean he won’t be amazing but could make his career a lot shorter than it should be.

Pats — I was hoping for a WR, but getting IMO the top CB in the draft while also sticking it to the Jets… made this pick awesome for me. My biggest concern is how young he is and how soon (if ever) he hits his potential. 

Ugly:

Washington — They took a CB who is vastly undersized and will take time IMO to make an impact. Made worse because they chose him over at least 2 better prospect in Gonzalez, and Porter. I’d have broken my TV if that was my team. (Like I did last year w an unknown guard pick)

Will Levi’s — rumored be top 2 pick and doesn’t get picked at all in the first round.  By far an ugly and sad day for him.

lastly Confused:

Jets — You just got Rogers and you know it’s a 2 year window and yet you still don’t draft a WR for the guy? Instead you get another D lineman.. makes little sense.. Rogers is older he needs playmakers around him. (Imagine if Seattle had gotten Rogers instead.)

let me know who your thoughts are :)

Edited by PatsFanNH

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

Good (Amazing):

Eagles — That D front is going to be scary AGAIN next year, I almost feel bad for Dak facing that front twice. They got an absolute STEAL with Carter at 9.

Bills - I like Kinkaid but I believe he has back issues? Doesn’t mean he won’t be amazing but could make his career a lot shorter than it should be.

Pats — I was hoping for a WR, but getting IMO the top CB in the draft while also sticking it to the Jets… made this pick awesome for me. My biggest concern is how young he is and how soon (if ever) he hits his potential. 

Ugly:

Washington — They took a CB who is vastly undersized and will take time IMO to make an impact. Made worse because they chose him over at least 2 better prospect in Gonzalez, and Porter. I’d have broken my TV if that was my team. (Like I did last year w an unknown guard pick)

Will Levi’s — rumored be top 2 pick and doesn’t get picked at all in the first round.  By far an ugly and sad day for him.

lastly Confused:

Jets — You just got Rogers and you know it’s a 2 year window and yet you still don’t draft a WR for the guy? Instead you get another D lineman.. makes little sense.. Rogers is older he needs playmakers around him. (Imagine if Seattle had gotten Rogers instead.)

Saleh is a DC at heart, so building a dominant D line like in SF, is part of his DNA. I liked McDonald's and as a project, at 15 his was drafted on potential, but that was a big reach imo.

For the Ugly, you forgot Detroit who is building a team like it is 1985...

Kincaid had a broken vertabre, so provided that healed up, that shouldn't be a long term issue. I get he has elite hands and is viewed more as a slot WR, hard to see us in 12 personnel that much, unless there is a huge shift in the offensive philosophy, which obviously could happen. I know beane called it 11.5 personnel, at the end of the day it's still 2 TEs....

I am hoping that since we are seeming to have him play more as a WR, his transition will be quicker as the focus on his coaching and development early on will be reading the defense and adjusting his route based on the read and making the same read and adjustments Allen is. 

Pats took who they needed to. But man that roster is in bad bad shape

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Campbell at 18 made no sense?

Or the rb at 12 or whatever other pick they had....way to go back in time 40 years

I think your point on the jets not getting a WR is a bit overstated. 

Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard and Mecole Hardman is a nice core imo.  Conklin, Uzomah and Ruckert @ TE is a very underrated group of TEs.  

now, mac Jones on the other hand… that poor guy got hosed.  Again.  

Gonzalez was a great pick.  Mac is screwed.  Maybe you can draft Caleb or Drake next year!

didn’t Gronk have a back issue in college?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Ugly:

The Detroit Lions. 

Gibbs and Campbell are good players. But there were better on both sides of the ball when they picked at positions they needed. Their defense was HORRIBLE last year and Gibbs, while a good play was a luxury pick they couldn't afford to make. 

Chicago Bears: RT only at that spot is a *WOOF* pick for me. 

Good:

The Eagles. Man they love that Georgia defense, don't they? 

The "meh"

Houston Texans: They got their guy 1 pick after drafting the guy they were "supposed to" pick. Love the aggressive attitude...even if it feels like they gave up a bit much to accomplish that. Those picks they sent should all be high picks next year too that could have been better used to surround their shiney new QB with weapons and build around him. 

• PatsFanNH changed the title to Good,the Ok,and the Ugly from day 1 of the draft
15 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

lastly Confused:

What if the Jets trade for DHop?

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard and Mecole Hardman is a nice core imo.  Conklin, Uzomah and Ruckert @ TE is a very underrated group of TEs.  

Gonzalez was a great pick.  Mac is screwed.  Maybe you can draft Caleb or Drake next year!

Gronk did have a back issue in college. It is also why his career was a lot shorter. That’s why I said KinKaid MAY have a shorter career than he should. Mind you Gronk needed to learn to go down some times instead of fighting for an additional yard or two. 

IMO they are just OK just as the Pats WR room is Meh as well.. no one special in that group.. I can’t remember a time Rogers was good where he didn’t have an elite pass catcher with him..  I mean Wilson, rightfully got trashed last year but that O had many other issues like guys blocking air and NO ONE getting open. 

I wanted a WR, but CB was also a huge need as well.  Hopefully they get a pass catcher on day 2, I wouldn’t mind Meyers or Washington… at TE IF Hyatt isn’t available. If they get Gonzalez then Hyatt in the first 2 rounds I’d dance a jig.. although I also like the size of Tillman(?) from Tennessee as well.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I was going to ask that question I thought that Gronk head back issues while he was in college

• Like (+1) 2

What the Pats did to the Jets was nothing short of beautiful.  

They were set on Broderick Jones and then panning to their war room after the Pats d***ed them over was like watching viewing hours at a funeral home. 

They can act like they wanted Will McDonald, but you don’t spend 9:45 of your 10 minutes looking panicked and depressed before you turn the pick in if that was your guy. 

• Haha (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Gronk did have a back issue in college. It is also why his career was a lot shorter. That’s why I said KinKaid MAY have a shorter career than he should. Mind you Gronk needed to learn to go down some times instead of fighting for an additional yard or two. 

IMO they are just OK just as the Pats WR room is Meh as well.. no one special in that group.. I can’t remember a time Rogers was good where he didn’t have an elite pass catcher with him..  I mean Wilson, rightfully got trashed last year but that O had many other issues like guys blocking air and NO ONE getting open. 

I wanted a WR, but CB was also a huge need as well.  Hopefully they get a pass catcher on day 2, I wouldn’t mind Meyers or Washington… at TE IF Hyatt isn’t available. If they get Gonzalez then Hyatt in the first 2 rounds I’d dance a jig.. although I also like the size of Tillman(?) from Tennessee as well.

Garrett Wilson was getting open.  He’s a rising superstar imo.  Lazard and Rodgers are comfortable together. Corey Davis playing with the first good QB in his career. hardman is a great niche player that can break a game open if schemed properly.  Hall looks to be a top back.  

I think rodgers may have more than he’s ever had as far as playmakers. What he’s missing are 2 OTs.  Not playmakers 

17 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

DHop looks uninterested and washed up IMO. He would also be a lot more expensive than going with a promising rookie.

Just tank. Get a QB and be relevant again

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Good (Amazing):

Ugly:

lastly Confused:

PF, I agree.  The CB pick was solid and necessary in this division.

Even when they are great they are never sexy, but CB matters so much in this league.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Garrett Wilson was getting open.  He’s a rising superstar imo.  Lazard and Rodgers are comfortable together. Corey Davis playing with the first good QB in his career. hardman is a great niche player that can break a game open if schemed properly.  Hall looks to be a top back.  

I think rodgers may have more than he’s ever had as far as playmakers. What he’s missing are 2 OTs.  Not playmakers 

I think Rogers has the best RB he has had in a long time. As for the WR/TE they are nice but no Devonte Adams type in that group. I think for Rogers to truly be great he needs sort of what Brady had in TB.  I guess we will see this season.. I hope they all stink and the Jets go 8-9 lol.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I think Rogers has the best RB he has had in a long time. As for the WR/TE they are nice but no Devonte Adams type in that group. I think for Rogers to truly be great he needs sort of what Brady had in TB.  I guess we will see this season.. I hope they all stink and the Jets go 8-9 lol.

No best WR in the nfl type?  Wilson is a stud.  

I certainly hope that you’re right.  We have one saving grace imo…..

Nate HACKett calling the shots on O.  Beautiful 

The Good: The draft is almost over.

The Bad: Mahomes and Kelce walking out with the Lombardi. I immediately switched the channel, threw up and then downed a quart of bourbon. 

The Ugly: The Panthers war room after the pick. They all stood up and hugged like some star phenom unexpectedly landed in their laps. They could have been sitting in a bar while some 16 year old kid sent in the pick that has been known for weeks. 

Im not sold on Bryce Young being any different than the Arizona QB. Not sure Stroud can process quickly enough to succeed in the NFL and having seen Richardson a lot he feels like a prime bust QB. I thought Tyree Wilson was a reach. Reminds me on tape of Rousseau. Good player but not in the top 10. Don’t understand the Lions taking Gibbs. I think they should have seriously considered Levis. The Bills nailed their pick and that is from someone who has been critical of previous drafts. The Eagles are being praised for their picks but they took 2 players with serious question marks. 

Edited by Floydboy12

19 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

Im not sold on Bryce Young being any different than the Arizona QB. Not sure Stroud can process quickly enough to succeed in the NFL and having seen Richardson a lot he feels like a prime bust QB. I thought Tyree Wilson was a reach. Reminds me on tape of Rousseau. Good player but not in the top 10. Don’t understand the Lions taking Gibbs. I think they should have seriously considered Levis. The Bills nailed their pick and that is from someone who has been critical of previous drafts. The Eagles are being praised for their picks but they took 2 players with serious question marks. 

Serious question marks? Carter, was considered the top talent in the draft. His biggest question mark was poor judgement with the hole drag racing thing. I did hear about the weight but most were saying that wasn’t a big deal as he was going threw the hole drag racing thing.  He was a steal at 9!

Nolan had a torn peck muscle and at 30 his upside is worth the risk. Again a steal.. 

neither one are serious question marks IMO. One made a terrible dumb mistake. (One a lot of us have done when we weee young)  the other had an injury that modern meds make a lot easier come back from.

42 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

Richardson is no Josh Allen in spite of the comparisons.  Josh started in JC, then after coming back from injury was a 2 year starter who resisted the urge to enter the draft in 2017.  So while Josh had 3 years as a starter after high school, and started 26 games, Richardson has had only 1 season as a starter and has started only 13 games.  Josh was widely criticized for his 56.3 completion % and Richardson's was even lower at 53.8, but Josh's success has muted many of the critics who would be howling about Richardson being picked at #4.  I think he should have stayed another year in college and got more experience than sitting on the bench as a rookie.  

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

D Hop is likely staying per latest reports.

I don’t believe that. If rather than acquire a draft pick they are keeping an aging $20M WR around for Colt McCoy to throw to this season then the AZ FO should all be fired. 

49 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Richardson is no Josh Allen in spite of the comparisons.  Josh started in JC, then after coming back from injury was a 2 year starter who resisted the urge to enter the draft in 2017.  Snt'o while Josh had 3 years as a starter after high school, and started 26 games, Richardson has had only 1 season as a starter and has started only 13 games.  Josh was widely criticized for his 56.3 completion % and Richardson's was even lower at 53.8, but Josh's success has muted many of the critics who would be howling about Richardson being picked at #4.  I think he should have stayed another year in college and got more experience than sitting on the bench as a rookie.  

Louis Riddick on ESPN saying the Colts knocked it out of the park. Didn't he rip the Allen pick and rip him for years? Now he either has learned the error of his ways or he's a hypocrite. I think we know he's really the latter and very biased, as well as not on any NFL staff currently.

Agreed that both the Pats & Bills fared very well. Both players could turn out to be elite at their positions, and instant contributors. 

I'm most interested to see how the QB's pan out.  I really like that dude from FL.  I think he could turn out to be the best of the class. I'm skeptical about Young.  But you really never know until a few years go by.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I mean, I think we'd all agree that getting only 5 years of "prime Gronk level play" is worth it, right? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not so quick to destroy Detroit for their draft. 

Swift has been hurt constantly, and Gibbs is more explosive than he was. 

Their defense was terrible last year, so adding an 8-year MLB makes sense to me. 

They're still in good position to get cornerback, and WR, and Tight End frankly. 

3 minutes ago, MPL said:

I mean, I think we'd all agree that getting only 5 years of "prime Gronk level play" is worth it, right? 

Kelce was 23 when he came into the league, and had microfracture surgery on his knee right away, so he didn't get rolling until 26 years old. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Louis Riddick on ESPN saying the Colts knocked it out of the park. Didn't he rip the Allen pick and rip him for years? Now he either has learned the error of his ways or he's a hypocrite. I think we know he's really the latter and very biased, as well as not on any NFL staff currently.

Riddick is unfortunately a bit biased in his commentary.  Last year at this time he was gaga over Trey Lance, proclaiming he “can do things no other NFL QB can do.”  This year it’s Richardson with the same rhetoric.  He conveniently ignores Josh Allen when making those statements.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm not so quick to destroy Detroit for their draft. 

Swift has been hurt constantly, and Gibbs is more explosive than he was. 

Their defense was terrible last year, so adding an 8-year MLB makes sense to me. 

They're still in good position to get cornerback, and WR, and Tight End frankly. 

Kelce was 23 when he came into the league, and had microfracture surgery on his knee right away, so he didn't get rolling until 26 years old. 

Detroit just signed Montgomery to a fairly large deal in free agency

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

What the Pats did to the Jets was nothing short of beautiful.  

They were set on Broderick Jones and then panning to their war room after the Pats d***ed them over was like watching viewing hours at a funeral home. 

They can act like they wanted Will McDonald, but you don’t spend 9:45 of your 10 minutes looking panicked and depressed before you turn the pick in if that was your guy. 

It is amazing how teams do not have an A, B, C pick ready like most of us do in our fantasy football drafts 

11 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

It is amazing how teams do not have an A, B, C pick ready like most of us do in our fantasy football drafts 

Sounds like they had an A and B, but no C

Gibbs was reportedly their top choice, then Jones.  

Probably thought no way they’re both gone at 15.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.