Calling it now: Drew Sanders will be the Bills number Three pick 😁😁

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Everyone likes Jack Campbell, and i do too, but hes the safe pick to replace Edmunds but Sanders is dynamic and can not only play off the ball and he can rush the passer and not just a blitzer but actually has pass rush moves. 

he could be our Lawrence Taylor instead of another Edmunds.

And hes got that NASTY, which this team needs more of.

lol....Lawrence Taylor

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve always considered MLB to be the heart of your defense, somewhat akin to quarterback on offense. So unless the Bills intend to roll with the smattering of guys currently on our thin bench I can definitely see them going MLB in Round One. If not, it’s going to look a whole lot like the years we went with Peterman, whoever, and/or nobody at QB. 

3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I will be writing off any notion of winning a SB if we blow a 1st round pick on a LB. There's plenty of LB talent to be had on day 2.

This is my take as well. Also, I suspect that there will be some disagreement in the war room regarding the various LB options. Do they go high floor (Campbell) -- or high ceiling (Sanders, Simpson)?

What I can see them doing is taking a WR or OL at 27 and waiting on LB until the 2nd -- but possibly panicking a bit and trading up a few spots to get the LB they settle on.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Everyone likes Jack Campbell, and i do too, but hes the safe pick to replace Edmunds but Sanders is dynamic and can not only play off the ball and he can rush the passer and not just a blitzer but actually has pass rush moves. 

I'm fine w it. He's a great player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

One thing that makes the draft so inscrutable to me is balancing value with getting the guy you want.  Sanders is projecting at a high- to mid-second round pick.  Bills draft at the end of the second round.   If Sanders is the 40th best guy in the draft, it just seems like a waste to spend the 27th pick on him.  What about the "value" you lose by doing that?   There is some guy who is the 27th best guy in the draft, and the difference in that value is significant. 

Now, maybe the Bills have Sanders at 30, not 40, and if they do, taking him at 27 isn't a problem.  

But if the Bills have him at 40, do they try to trade down a bit, say to the fifth or seventh pick in the second round, and pick up an extra pick, which they could use?   But that's a risk, because someone else might grab Sanders. 

Last year, I think Beane said they went into the draft with only 25 guys with a first-round grade.   Maybe they'll be there again this season.   If they have a first-round grade on Sanders, then maybe he's their guy and they'll do whatever, maybe even trade up, to get him.  But if they have only 25 first-round grades again this year, and Sanders isn't one of them, what do they do?  

I posted somewhere else about Sanders.  I don't know anything about him except having watched his highlights.   I really like his size and hitting.   He isn't a classic tackler by any means, but he attacks ball carriers in a way that Edmunds never has.   He has the same 40 time as Keuchly.  I didn't like his first-step quickness.  He's also, I think, relatively new to the linebacker game, having been an edge at Alabama and only having a year at Arkansas.   I don't know that he has the talent to play as a rookie, but he looks to me like a guy the Bills would like to have on the field in the middle of the defense.   I wouldn't mind just taking him at 27 and not worrying about the value proposition.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve always considered MLB to be the heart of your defense, somewhat akin to quarterback on offense. So unless the Bills intend to roll with the smattering of guys currently on our thin bench I can definitely see them going MLB in Round One. If not, it’s going to look a whole lot like the years we went with Peterman, whoever, and/or nobody at QB. 

I'm with you on this.  Pretty clear that the position was important to the Bills when they moved up to take Edmunds.  I believe McDermott sees it this way, too.  I don't see how you can have a top-10 defense without the right guy in the middle, in the same way you can't have a top-10 offense without a QB.  

The only question is whether McDermott and Beane see that guy in this draft.  If they do, I expect Beane will go get him.  That's always been his style - he isn't afraid to make the bold move to get his guy.  

Sanders in round one wouldn't surprise me.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

When it comes down to it… yes I think the Bills take one of these guys. 

Sanders was one of the top athletes coming out of High School at the MLB position. Also playing QB and WR.

Nick Saban made the decision to play him at Edge later stating if he stayed at Bama he probably would have moved him to LB. Question is did the Bills see enough in 1 year at LB where they feel comfortable enough to say he came continue to improve.

Campbell has play MLB his entire career. Is he maxed out? He is slower but ran an impressive 3 cone at 6.7, which is faster than a lot skill positions such as WR and CB. Greater instincts as well. If he were to drop to 240-245 would he be even quicker?

It’s the intangibles that Beane and McDermott will way the most!!! Who is a leader of men? Work ethic? Takes care of their body etc….. team player. Nobody knows that. Whoever they feel has more of that will be the pick. Yes at 27…… getting a MLB to run this defense is worthy of 27. 

There’s a lot of value that Campbell has been working with Keuchly for sure!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Well I've said it before, the 1st rd. pick has to play. period. That being said, it bear's discussion as to roster numbers. If they go DT or DE, how many linemen can they keep?

Anyone going to the P.S. is as good as gone....likely a Giant. BTW, I think Kingsley Jonathan ( who would have been the no.1 overall pick in the CFL), is probably better than any edge we could find after pick 91.

They can cut some fat off the Oline, but at the expense of demoting Brown?....that's really questionable judgement IMO. A no. 27 pick has to start day 1.

Brown had no off season last year and is on his 2nd year with Kromer as well as his 2nd O.C. so I will defer to Beane's judgement on him.

IMO, we need a C or better yet a C/G. I prefer Avila ( considering where we pick in the 2nd.)

How many LBs can they keep? We, I believe currently we have 5. Not a big Dodson fan.

Same with WRs. We have what? 5 not counting Kumerow? I doubt a day one difference maker will be there at 27....let alone the old adage that it takes 2 to 3 years for a WR to break out. I think we can find a future stud 91 or in the 4th or even later.

All that being said, I would take Kincaid or Meyer if either fell to us and try like hell to make a move for Sanders....Or I would go Campbell, Avila and Musgrave.

Avila...6'3 1/2  332 played center 2021 and guard 2022 not allowing a single sack.

I'm willing to bet come draft day Beane makes moves none of us saw coming.

Edited by nosejob

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm with you on this.  Pretty clear that the position was important to the Bills when they moved up to take Edmunds.  I believe McDermott sees it this way, too.  I don't see how you can have a top-10 defense without the right guy in the middle, in the same way you can't have a top-10 offense without a QB.  

The only question is whether McDermott and Beane see that guy in this draft.  If they do, I expect Beane will go get him.  That's always been his style - he isn't afraid to make the bold move to get his guy.  

Sanders in round one wouldn't surprise me.  

I also agree that the mlb can be considered important.  I think that guy is Campbell.  Sanders looks a little undersized.  What is interesting to me is that many think it is okay to draft Sanders but not Campbell in round 1.  I think it would be excellent if the FO gets the first choice of mlb's and gets to choose the one they want- looks between Sanders/Campbell/Simpson.

To me, it looks obvious that the FO left the $18M vacated slot to be filled by the draft.  Yes, this is now a need but it was done by design.  By most accounts they will have at least a top 2 choice to choose from to fill the spot.

10 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

It’s a bad class. Campbell is highly overrated on these boards he’s a mid to late 2nd rounder in my opinion and drafting him at 27 would be a waste. 

Agree with this take 100%.  Campbell is a more traditional (meaning old school) MLB.  He's not covering anyone in the pros man up with success.  He's lacks quickness with his long legs.  He'll get double moved to death.  Simpson from Clemson or Sanders are better prospects if you want a cover backer.   

Edited by JimmyNoodles
  • Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The Bills have had major issues with missed tackles over the past few years. Sanders missed tackle % is basically double Campbell's...He is a better edge pass rusher, but the Bills don't rush their MLB from the edge much. He's also FAR less experienced at MLB, and FAR less instinctive than Campbell...

I like both players...But I prefer Campbell for the Bills... B-)

• Like (+1) 1

This why the NFL Draft is so interesting to all us. Players play specific positions. If you wait to pull the trigger because some draft board somewhere says the ‘overall’ value isn’t there by some fictitious measuring criteria you risk losing out on a position of true need. So, having watched the total lack of activity at MLB during free agency, don’t come crying to me if about a month into the season we’re all not screaming for anybody who can hold down and cover the middle of the field. 

23 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I also agree that the mlb can be considered important.  I think that guy is Campbell.  Sanders looks a little undersized.  What is interesting to me is that many think it is okay to draft Sanders but not Campbell in round 1.  I think it would be excellent if the FO gets the first choice of mlb's and gets to choose the one they want- looks between Sanders/Campbell/Simpson.

To me, it looks obvious that the FO left the $18M vacated slot to be filled by the draft.  Yes, this is now a need but it was done by design.  By most accounts they will have at least a top 2 choice to choose from to fill the spot.

Yeah.  I like this.  

A year ago at this time, Beane and McD were talking about the things that Edmunds had shown so far and what they hoped he would do in 2022.   I'm reminded that in Allen's second year, Beane said he hoped Allen would make him write a big check when the time came; Allen did and Beane did.   Beane said the same thing to McD about Edmunds, and Edmunds didn't do what he needed to do to force Beane to write the big check.  

A year ago, too, Beane and McDermott were thinking about what they'd do if they weren't going to write the check.  They began thinking critically about the guys who might become free agents, and they were looking with great care at the guys in the draft.  I don't know anything at all about Campbell or Simpson, except that like you, many people seem to think that those are guys who could play the position at least satisfactorily.   The fact that Beane didn't seem to chase any free agent linebackers with enthusiasm tells me (1) that McDermott has said he can live with the guys he already has and/or, more importantly, (2) that one or more of those three guys can do it as a rookie. 

If two or three of these draftees look good to Beane, then maybe he waits to round two, and maybe he trades out of round one into early round two.   But that hasn't generally been Beane's style.   He will like one of those guys better than the others, and he likely will move UP to get the guy he wants.   He might move up a few positions in round one, or he might move up in round two.  

If Beane moves UP in round one, say from 27 to 20, to take a middle linebacker, then you're looking at the 2023 starter.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Well, I don't know if he merits a first-round grade, but I see in him what you see.   Well, I don't see Lawrence Taylor.    If he had much of Lawrence Taylor in him everyone would have seen it by now.   

But "dynamic and can not only play off the ball and he can rush the passer and not just a blitzer but actually has pass rush moves....  And he's got that NASTY, which this team needs more of" is exactly right.  He's all of that.  Especially the NASTY part - he's hungry to hit people, and that's the thing that no one ever said about Edmunds.  Technique isn't always the best, but he hits people. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I've never gotten into the RAS world and don't know exactly what to think about it.  But I found Sanders' RAS, and it's not materially different.  His is 9.28, but when I look at the relevant individual data, I don't see a lot of difference.   I mean, Sanders broad jump is less, but do I care?  Sanders sprint splits are marginally better, which is more important than broad jump.  Sanders agility score is lower, which I care about, but not as much as the foot speed, where Sanders has a real edge.  

I think what people are saying is true:  Campbell has the higher floor, Sanders the higher ceiling.   High ceiling is what Beane went after with Allen and with Edmunds.   Beane is fearless, so on these numbers I'd guess he'll go after the ceiling again. 

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah.  I like this.  

A year ago at this time, Beane and McD were talking about the things that Edmunds had shown so far and what they hoped he would do in 2022.   I'm reminded that in Allen's second year, Beane said he hoped Allen would make him write a big check when the time came; Allen did and Beane did.   Beane said the same thing to McD about Edmunds, and Edmunds didn't do what he needed to do to force Beane to write the big check.  

If two or three of these draftees look good to Beane, then maybe he waits to round two, and maybe he trades out of round one into early round two.   But that hasn't generally been Beane's style.   He will like one of those guys better than the others, and he likely will move UP to get the guy he wants.   He might move up a few positions in round one, or he might move up in round two.  

If Beane moves UP in round one, say from 27 to 20, to take a middle linebacker, then you're looking at the 2023 starter.  

I hope they don't move up - just too costly.  My worry is that they may have a limited top tier, like Sanders/Campbell and someone takes one of them ahead of us.  This would make Beane very nervous.  Something similar happened last year with cb.

11 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

It’s a bad class. Campbell is highly overrated on these boards he’s a mid to late 2nd rounder in my opinion and drafting him at 27 would be a waste. 

That's why I believe trading out of the first round may be the better play than reaching.  Not a ton of true first round talent in this draft IMO and if we get a chance to get an extra pick or two by dropping back into the early/mid second, we should probably take it.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

How about Drew Bledsoe?

When it comes to being tackled,Drew was damn good at it…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I hope they don't move up - just too costly.  My worry is that they may have a limited top tier, like Sanders/Campbell and someone takes one of them ahead of us.  This would make Beane very nervous.  Something similar happened last year with cb.

Well, I understand the worry, but I don't worry.  I mean, I worry that Beane may be making bad judgments, but I don't have any way know, except three years down the road.   

I agree, it seems like last year.  Beane said something like "Elam was the last guy we had a first-round grade on, so we moved up to get him."   I have no idea how they conclude a guy has a first round grade, but I suspect it may be colored by need.  So, I will not be surprised, at all, if the Bills move up a few spots from 27 to get a linebacker.   Beane will say the same thing - we had a first-round grade on him, and we didn't want to lose him.  

I actually like Beane's philosophy - he has the courage to go get the guys he wants.   My problem with Beane is that his history in the draft hasn't shown me that he's really good at figuring out which guys he should want.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Lawrence ***** Taylor? you had to go there

The question for me is....Would it be better to have a top tier communicator and badass in the middle who can cover in zone?  or do I want someone with one year inside who may be better at OLB for his pass rushing ability from the end?

For me, I'd rather have Campbell, because MLB is more important. I'd love to have a stud OLB who can hit the gaps or around the end, but it would seem like trying to have Sanders doing double duty. I don't think that's doable. One or the other..Would love both.

Sanders / Campbell / Milano would be the shyt.  Bernard / Spector and Matekevich make 6....and I'd still like Klein back depending if it's possible to carry that number.

I am all for Beane dipping into next year's picks to move up when he needs to. 

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't watch college ball. Never heard of this guy. Watched his highlights. Id not take him in the first two rounds. I was not at all impressed.

He doesn't play big. He does not use his [lack of]size to win. He uses speed against inferior opposition. He is like Aaron may in. Too small.

He didn't do anything extraordinary. Didn't read any plays in a special way. 

The only comment I can say for the positive is that he uses his speed and athleticism to get him back into the position to save him from having bad coverage.

The NFL is much faster than the college ball. On defense he will struggle. 

The guy won't start 4 years in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He is more Edmunds than Campbell is.  His biggest cons are his missed tackles and lack of instincts, areas he is considered raw at.  Basically the same as Edmunds was coming out, athletic freak but raw and would need to be developed in a lot of areas.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He is more Edmunds than Campbell is.  His biggest cons are his missed tackles and lack of instincts, areas he is considered raw at.  Basically the same as Edmunds was coming out, athletic freak but raw and would need to be developed in a lot of areas.

that shows up on tape. it's a hard pass from me in the 1st round. 

a 2nd round flyer, sure if we have the luxury but i don't even like that Jack dude enough to think he's 1st round grade

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn't hate adding Sanders but I would rather spend pick 27 on offense. I can live with taking an MLB at pick 59 or 91 or later and having lesser MLB play if it means adding a better piece around Josh, 2 out of the first 3 picks should be on offense to get Josh more help.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.