NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This is a made up concept amongst fans, just as trading Tremaine Edmunds last season was. Nothing Brandon Beane has said has led me to think he believes anything that you're saying he believes. On the contrary, he talks up how he'd like to keep him (and Gabe Davis) for years to come and is excited to see what he does as a Bill this season.

They said the same things about Edmunds.  The way they talked about him made it seem like they’d match any offer.  

The Oliver stuff is coming from somewhere.   Ultimately, I do think it’s more “hope” from some of us that he gets traded, but NFL Network guys have commented on him potentially getting moved, I have to imagine there’s some, albeit far-fetched or minor, rumors swirling that he could be available. 

42 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Beane looking at options to trade up and get a WR in the draft makes sense as a contingency if the DHop trade falls through. Not that GMs don’t check into trading up and down from their picks regardless of their real interest in doing so. It also sends a message to AZ & DHop that we are prepared to fill that need another way if they don’t play ball. 

I hear you. Personally, I don't think any WR in this draft is worth trading up for. All of them have some concerns and question marks. I just don't see a logical path to trading up for a WR in this draft. Maybe I'm wrong. 

As for the Arizona comments in your post. I don't think Arizona is really going to be threatened or intimidated by the Bills moves or lack of. That's a huge stretch at best. Dhop has some value and they certainly will be able to move him at some point. The reporting is Arizona is asking too much. I wouldn't be surprised if KC ends up getting him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

27 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I hear you. Personally, I don't think any WR in this draft is worth trading up for. All of them have some concerns and question marks. I just don't see a logical path to trading up for a WR in this draft. Maybe I'm wrong. 

As for the Arizona comments in your post. I don't think Arizona is really going to be threatened or intimidated by the Bills moves or lack of. That's a huge stretch at best. Dhop has some value and they certainly will be able to move him at some point. The reporting is Arizona is asking too much. I wouldn't be surprised if KC ends up getting him. 

AZ is just dragging this all out to try to maximize the return on DHop. Right now it doesn’t hurt them to maintain a high asking price. As I’ve said before, the week prior to the draft is likely when he’ll be moved. Mid-May is the latest for him to be traded or cut.

I didn’t say anything about the Bills threatening or intimidating the Cards. This is just Beane doing his due diligence and exploring his best options. Letting it be known via leaks that the Bills are exploring other options to improve their WR room is just gamesmanship.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

So it’s a reach to get the “fifth receiver” even if he has a first round grade?  Safe doesn’t win you Super Bowls. Beane has already said edmunds successor might already be on the roster. He drafted a guy with a third round pick last year and now they need to see what they have. Enough with this defense early nonsense. Time to swing for the fences in support of Allen. 

I didn't say it was a reach, I said it was riskier, and it is.  Seems hard to argue that the odds of the fifth receiver beating out Gabe and/or Shakir are less than the odds of the top mlb beating out Bernard.

Swinging for the fences is in FA or trades - that would be the DHop hope (much like Von last year).  The draft is for the future.  Jack Campbell would be 3 years of bargain prices and then extended early at market prices.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I didn't say it was a reach, I said it was riskier, and it is.  Seems hard to argue that the odds of the fifth receiver beating out Gabe and/or Shakir are less than the odds of the top mlb beating out Bernard.

Swinging for the fences is in FA or trades - that would be the DHop hope (much like Von last year).  The draft is for the future.  Jack Campbell would be 3 years of bargain prices and then extended early at market prices.  

The more time passes the more I'm thinking Campbell is the pick at 27. Of course, many things can change. 

Just hoping Beane can pull off a little trade back, get another pick, and still get Campbell. Pretty risky for sure. By most though Campbell isn't really a 27th pick but Beane still might pick him of he's their guy. O don't fault that strategy either. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The more time passes the more I'm thinking Campbell is the pick at 27. Of course, many things can change. 

Just hoping Beane can pull off a little trade back, get another pick, and still get Campbell. Pretty risky for sure. By most though Campbell isn't really a 27th pick but Beane still might pick him of he's there guy. O don't fault that strategy either. 

If Campbell is their man, and he is there, I think they would gladly take him. 

I think the risk is much more that as the pick gets closer the pressure to move up and get him intensifies.  I could see nervousness of the Dallas pick - I've seem mocks with Dallas taking D Sanders.   I think the scenario happened last year with cb/Elam.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What if your fifth ranked WR is still higher ranked than your middle LB?  I’m sorry….you aren’t gonna convince me that’s the way to go. We also need a WR as soon as next year as we will only have 2 that are under contract. One of them being Diggs entering his age 31 season. It’s an offensive league and we have one of the best qbs in the game. Gotta keep building around him and not an underachieving defense. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Just hoping Beane can pull off a little trade back, get another pick, and still get Campbell. Pretty risky for sure. By most though Campbell isn't really a 27th pick but Beane still might pick him of he's there guy. O don't fault that strategy either. 

Tell me…what on earth makes you think this?  If the rumors of Beane wanting to move up are true, you can bet it’s not for a LB. Also…have we even had a visit with him yet?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think the risk is much more that as the pick gets closer the pressure to move up and get him intensifies.  I could see nervousness of the Dallas pick - I've seem mocks with Dallas taking D Sanders.   I think the scenario happened last year with cb/Elam.

No doubt there will be a lot of dynamics and scenarios in play when the Bills are on the clock. 

That's what makes the draft so exciting and intriguing. So many unknown variables. Trades, who's available, who drops, etc...

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

AZ is just dragging this all out to try to maximize the return on DHop. Right now it doesn’t hurt them to maintain a high asking price. As I’ve said before, the week prior to the draft is likely when he’ll be moved. Mid-May is the latest for him to be traded or cut.

I didn’t say anything about the Bills threatening or intimidating the Cards. This is just Beane doing his due diligence and exploring his best options. Letting it be known via leaks that the Bills are exploring other options to improve their WR room is just gamesmanship.

Sorry, I stand corrected. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Beane looking at options to trade up and get a WR in the draft makes sense as a contingency if the DHop trade falls through. Not that GMs don’t check into trading up and down from their picks regardless of their real interest in doing so. It also sends a message to AZ & DHop that we are prepared to fill that need another way if they don’t play ball. 

I just don’t see a way to fit Hopkins’ $19M cap hit under our cap (and $14.5M next year).  I wouldn’t want to extend his contract far enough to lower the cap hit for next two years by much - he is turning 30, was recently injured and suspended for steroid use.  The steroids, in particular, may be a sign he is breaking down.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I would not move up for Campbell.  I could consider taking him at 27, but if he isn’t there happily take a player at another position.  I think Campbell will be a good pro and I know the cupboard looks bare now, but I think there will be better players available at pick 27- or I hope so.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

What if your fifth ranked WR is still higher ranked than your middle LB?  I’m sorry….you aren’t gonna convince me that’s the way to go. We also need a WR as soon as next year as we will only have 2 that are under contract. One of them being Diggs entering his age 31 season. It’s an offensive league and we have one of the best qbs in the game. Gotta keep building around him and not an underachieving defense. 

Tell me…what on earth makes you think this?  If the rumors of Beane wanting to move up are true, you can bet it’s not for a LB. Also…have we even had a visit with him yet?

If the 5th WR is ranked higher then you take him.  I'm telling you I don't think that will be the case. 

Last year they could have had the WR C Watkins that was an RAS freak that went to GB or G Pickens who went to Pitt.  Both better than what I believe they would see this year.  And yet, they moved up and got the cb they feared would be picked ahead of them.

Beane may be looking at what it takes to move up because of Dallas interest in mlb.  For instance if B Robinson is gone (another Dallas rumored target) the threat of Dallas taking an mlb increases.  If the FO has a clear top tier favorite (hopefully Campbell) they might want to jump Dallas.  It's not so far-fetched since they just did something similar last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

If the Bills are trying to move up I doubt it's for a single player. They probably only have 20-25 guys rated as 1st round talents. Once it becomes unlikely one of those guys will fall to them then they might try and trade up. Beane would be negligent if he didn't reach out now to see who is interested in moving and who isn't. He is probably reaching out to examine trade back possibilities too. If all of those 1st round guys are gone maybe he tries to move back and get another 3rd or 4th round pick to use as ammo to move up later

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I just don’t see a way to fit Hopkins’ $19M cap hit under our cap (and $14.5M next year).  I wouldn’t want to extend his contract far enough to lower the cap hit for next two years by much - he is turning 30, was recently injured and suspended for steroid use.  The steroids, in particular, may be a sign he is breaking down.

I think that Beane & McDermott may be feeling enough pressure that the long term isn’t that important to them. A playmaker needs to be brought in on offense and they’re looking at Hopkins. I agree that there are real risks with him. i’m just reading the situation right now, not necessarily advocating for him. I get why they’d do it, but it is a big risk. 

As for DHop’s contract, bringing him here would require a new deal as well as creating some additional cap space. An Ed Oliver trade would be likely. 

15 hours ago, SCBills said:

They said the same things about Edmunds.  The way they talked about him made it seem like they’d match any offer.  

The Oliver stuff is coming from somewhere.   Ultimately, I do think it’s more “hope” from some of us that he gets traded, but NFL Network guys have commented on him potentially getting moved, I have to imagine there’s some, albeit far-fetched or minor, rumors swirling that he could be available. 

It’s common sense.  If they aren’t going to pay him because he wants more than the team values him at, get something for him now.   Draft time is the perfect time; before other teams fill needs.

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

It’s common sense.  If they aren’t going to pay him because he wants more than the team values him at, get something for him now.   Draft time is the perfect time; before other teams fill needs.

Using a different mindset would lead to common sense leading in a different direction IMO.

Let's think this through fully here. You have a play that while showing flashes has not been consistent enough to justify a huge contract.  Stinks, but hey it happens. SO who is trading for him and what's his value? In my mind, there is no team that will move a first round pick or even a second rounder on a player like that. A third? I mean maybe but I would still say as a 1 year rental at $10M (which is what Ed would be as he wants that huge contract he hasn't really earned) I don't see his value any higher than a conditional 4th. Maybe lower.

So this is where a GM has to think of the situation. Worst case scenario, Ed falls flat on his face. Still wants big money and we let him walk. Second scenario, Ed balls out in a contract year like so many others have. Maybe he even prices himself out of the Bills plans. Now, we are looking at a very solid 3rd round comp pick in addition to him having a monster year this year. That's a win. Best case scenario, the light clicks on, Ed balls out and we get him under contract for long term and see him reach new levels of his play. Tha's a win. 

Yes, the cap relief this year would be nice, but Oliver strikes me as that type of guy that really shows up at contract time. Not saying that in a bad way. Just saying that this is the year for him to earn a new contract somewhere. He's going to be more motivated than we have ever seen. Rather take that chance he will break out for us than some other team.

We seem to have a very large hole at MLB.  After Sanders and Campbell, are there any strong prospects that will be available in the second or third round (understanding, although it appears to be unlikely, that Sanders and/or Campbell could drop to our pick in the second round)?  I just don't see a scenario where we don't try to find an instant starter at MLB in the draft given the players we have at the position currently on the roster and not filling the position with a free agent replacement (at least at this point).

WR in the first round would make a lot of sense with Gabe heading towards free agency after this offseason and our need for more playmakers at the position.  Unfortunately, most of the top WRs in this draft are on the small side and may be better fits for the slot, which I think is less of a need than a WR2 on the outside.

If we don't draft a MLB in the first round, I think DT or a pick that can play DE and DT is a strong possibility.  I believe that this is not a strong draft for DT, but with Oliver likely to be a free agent after this season, it is and will be a position of need.  Wouldn't be shocked if Keion White was our pick (Georgia Tech-DE/DT).  He is projected as a player at both DE and DT and we know that the Bills like players that can play multiple roles/positions.

Edited by jahnyc

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Using a different mindset would lead to common sense leading in a different direction IMO.

Let's think this through fully here. You have a play that while showing flashes has not been consistent enough to justify a huge contract.  Stinks, but hey it happens. SO who is trading for him and what's his value? In my mind, there is no team that will move a first round pick or even a second rounder on a player like that. A third? I mean maybe but I would still say as a 1 year rental at $10M (which is what Ed would be as he wants that huge contract he hasn't really earned) I don't see his value any higher than a conditional 4th. Maybe lower.

So this is where a GM has to think of the situation. Worst case scenario, Ed falls flat on his face. Still wants big money and we let him walk. Second scenario, Ed balls out in a contract year like so many others have. Maybe he even prices himself out of the Bills plans. Now, we are looking at a very solid 3rd round comp pick in addition to him having a monster year this year. That's a win. Best case scenario, the light clicks on, Ed balls out and we get him under contract for long term and see him reach new levels of his play. Tha's a win. 

Yes, the cap relief this year would be nice, but Oliver strikes me as that type of guy that really shows up at contract time. Not saying that in a bad way. Just saying that this is the year for him to earn a new contract somewhere. He's going to be more motivated than we have ever seen. Rather take that chance he will break out for us than some other team.

That is definitely a reasonable way to look at it.  I’m not thinking they can get a first or a second for him.  Potentially a third.   But I’m thinking of him as part of a trade Moreso than a one for one - Oliver for a pick.   Perhaps Oliver and a day 3 pick to move up in the first round or Oliver in a trade package for another player.  

I like Oliver.   He’s a player if they brought him back I would be cool with it but if they traded him i’m cool with that too.   I think keeping him in the off chance he shows out and signs a big deal elsewhere and we get a comp pick is a gamble I don’t know that we should take.  

7 hours ago, jahnyc said:

We seem to have a very large hole at MLB.  After Sanders and Campbell, are there any strong prospects that will be available in the second or third round (understanding, although it appears to be unlikely, that Sanders and/or Campbell could drop to our pick in the second round)?  I just don't see a scenario where we don't try to find an instant starter at MLB in the draft given the players we have at the position currently on the roster and not filling the position with a free agent replacement (at least at this point).

WR in the first round would make a lot of sense with Gabe heading towards free agency after this offseason and our need for more playmakers at the position.  Unfortunately, most of the top WRs in this draft are on the small side and may be better fits for the slot, which I think is less of a need than a WR2 on the outside.

If we don't draft a MLB in the first round, I think DT or a pick that can play DE and DT is a strong possibility.  I believe that this is not a strong draft for DT, but with Oliver likely to be a free agent after this season, it is and will be a position of need.  Wouldn't be shocked if Keion White was our pick (Georgia Tech-DE/DT).  He is projected as a player at both DE and DT and we know that the Bills like players that can play multiple roles/positions.

Campbell -2nd round grade, Daiyon Henley 3rd round, Dorian Williams 3rd-4th round. Those are the other top guys. Sanders and Simpson are more edge guys 

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Campbell -2nd round grade, Daiyon Henley 3rd round, Dorian Williams 3rd-4th round. Those are the other top guys. Sanders and Simpson are more edge guys 

Walterfootball has Campbell rated 18th overall. 

18. Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa.Previously: 23 Avg. 26.1 per 8

04/05/23: Team sources really like Campbell and think he will go in the back half of the first round in the 2023 NFL Draft. They call him a taller version of Chad Muma and say he does some things that remind them of Luke Kuechly. The 6-foot-5, 249-pound Campbell has good size, strength, and enough athleticism to be a three-down starter. He is very instinctive, smart, and showed more fluid pass coverage skills than expected at the combine.

MLB group seems weak in this draft.  Campbell may be one of the only potential MLB picks (or the only one) who would be able to step in as a rookie and start (and even that would not be a given as a rookie MLB on a veteran unit with significant pass coverage requirements for the MLB).

19 minutes ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

Starting to think we can hold off WR in first and address other areas. Top WRs could be there for our second. 

im warming up to the idea of taking Washington RD1 (if a RT we like isnt there), and trading up round 2 to take one of top receivers left if this happens.

Washington helps improve the OL considerably, and helps free up Knox to run more, that very intriguing to me. then top the offense with another WR weapon. could make us very explosive

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

Starting to think we can hold off WR in first and address other areas. Top WRs could be there for our second. 

In a typical draft there are 20 or less 1st round prospects total. If teams pass on WRs in the top 20 then we should definitely be looking to grab one at 27 or even move up a few picks and grab the best one.

Also the last “weak” WR draft saw players like AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, and Deebo Samuel go in the 2nd.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

im warming up to the idea of taking Washington RD1 (if a RT we like isnt there), and trading up round 2 to take one of top receivers left if this happens.

Washington helps improve the OL considerably, and helps free up Knox to run more, that very intriguing to me. then top the offense with another WR weapon. could make us very explosive

Folks won't like positional value, but I am open to this as well. I sure as hell would rather go this direction than MLB at 27. I also wouldn't rule out Kincaid and Mayer in the first, though if you want blocking help for the OL, Washington is your fella.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

In a typical draft there are 20 or less 1st round prospects total. If teams pass on WRs in the top 20 then we should definitely be looking to grab one at 27 or even move up a few picks and grab the best one.

I do think there are a handful of wrs that Beane should pick at 27 if they are available. Still think they are hardwired to go D, but we'll see.

12 hours ago, jahnyc said:

MLB group seems weak in this draft.  Campbell may be one of the only potential MLB picks (or the only one) who would be able to step in as a rookie and start (and even that would not be a given as a rookie MLB on a veteran unit with significant pass coverage requirements for the MLB).

When I think of it, I don't recall many drafts where the Bills needs have matched up with the quality of that year's draft class.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Folks won't like positional value, but I am open to this as well. I sure as hell would rather go this direction than MLB at 27. I also wouldn't rule out Kincaid and Mayer in the first, though if you want blocking help for the OL, Washington is your fella.

I do think there are a handful of wrs that Beane should pick at 27 if they are available. Still think they are hardwired to go D, but we'll see.

The idea of drafting a WR or TE2 is exciting.  It means the FO sees a huge talent.  But IMO it is unlikely.

From a financial perspective, picking at 27 is around a $2.5M spot.  We just picked up someone comparable to J Hyatt for under $2M, we had someone on our practice squad sniped on us comparable to Q Johnson - Hodgins.  Our TE2's have salaries under $3M - even OJ Howard.

Or the Bills can take what looks like a comparable to the guy that just left us for $18M.

4 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Which is the exact reaction Beane hoped to create when he asked Nagy to post this “news”

No. It’s a very bad top of the draft for WRs. Just no clear WR1’s.

I personally feel it’s a pretty weak draft overall. Not very exciting draft. Which tells me to draft offensive lineman early and often.

I would take 2 OL in the 1st 3 rounds and try to grab a WR that falls down in the 1st or 2nd.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

13 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The idea of drafting a WR or TE2 is exciting.  It means the FO sees a huge talent.  But IMO it is unlikely.

From a financial perspective, picking at 27 is around a $2.5M spot.  We just picked up someone comparable to J Hyatt for under $2M, we had someone on our practice squad sniped on us comparable to Q Johnson - Hodgins.  Our TE2's have salaries under $3M - even OJ Howard.

Or the Bills can take what looks like a comparable to the guy that just left us for $18M.

I don't see Hyatt as a first round wr. Johnson is boom or bust, but I think he could be DK Metcalf. I don't equate him with Hodgins who is a big slot.

Our TE2s have been an afterthought. I'm considering a scenario where Dorsey would make 12 personnel more of a staple. Kincaid, Mayer, Washington, and LaPorta are the top four at the position with differing skill sets. Kincaid has the most dangerous offensive potential, imo, but he's not a blocker. Washington is a monster blocker, but limited to a RZ offensive threat. I think TE is one of the stronger talent positions in a weak draft, so I personally hope we grab one of these guys.

Edited by Dr. Who

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

How many two TE sets do you expect Dorsey to utilize?  While we need a 2nd TE, using pick 27 on one would be a mistake IMO. 

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Washington also has untapped receiver potential, he can definitely do some damage against a defense. There's upside there.....how much is the question.

5 hours ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

I don't think this is a surprise. I have zero true 1sts. I have two borderline 1st/2nds - Addison and JSN. 

Dane Brugler's draft guide came out today. He is one of the best in the business. He had one true first - JSN. He then had four borderlines that were (in order) - Addison, Hyatt, Flowers, Johnston. 

On Johnston particularly I feel like I have been making this point for weeks. People understandably love the ceiling. But the floor is like Kevin White style bust. 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think this is a surprise. I have zero true 1sts. I have two borderline 1st/2nds - Addison and JSN. 

Dane Brugler's draft guide came out today. He is one of the best in the business. He had one true first - JSN. He then had four borderlines that were (in order) - Addison, Hyatt, Flowers, Johnston. 

On Johnston particularly I feel like I have been making this point for weeks. People understandably love the ceiling. But the floor is like Kevin White style bust. 

Give me Hyatt  ALL DAY!!  & a TE that's a good pass catcher and suddenly the offense has actually added real value 

IF THE COACHING STAFF IS SMART ENOUGH TO PLAY THEM. Sigh 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.