NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

MLB group seems weak in this draft.  Campbell may be one of the only potential MLB picks (or the only one) who would be able to step in as a rookie and start (and even that would not be a given as a rookie MLB on a veteran unit with significant pass coverage requirements for the MLB).

19 minutes ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

Starting to think we can hold off WR in first and address other areas. Top WRs could be there for our second. 

im warming up to the idea of taking Washington RD1 (if a RT we like isnt there), and trading up round 2 to take one of top receivers left if this happens.

Washington helps improve the OL considerably, and helps free up Knox to run more, that very intriguing to me. then top the offense with another WR weapon. could make us very explosive

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

Starting to think we can hold off WR in first and address other areas. Top WRs could be there for our second. 

In a typical draft there are 20 or less 1st round prospects total. If teams pass on WRs in the top 20 then we should definitely be looking to grab one at 27 or even move up a few picks and grab the best one.

Also the last “weak” WR draft saw players like AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, and Deebo Samuel go in the 2nd.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

im warming up to the idea of taking Washington RD1 (if a RT we like isnt there), and trading up round 2 to take one of top receivers left if this happens.

Washington helps improve the OL considerably, and helps free up Knox to run more, that very intriguing to me. then top the offense with another WR weapon. could make us very explosive

Folks won't like positional value, but I am open to this as well. I sure as hell would rather go this direction than MLB at 27. I also wouldn't rule out Kincaid and Mayer in the first, though if you want blocking help for the OL, Washington is your fella.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

In a typical draft there are 20 or less 1st round prospects total. If teams pass on WRs in the top 20 then we should definitely be looking to grab one at 27 or even move up a few picks and grab the best one.

I do think there are a handful of wrs that Beane should pick at 27 if they are available. Still think they are hardwired to go D, but we'll see.

12 hours ago, jahnyc said:

MLB group seems weak in this draft.  Campbell may be one of the only potential MLB picks (or the only one) who would be able to step in as a rookie and start (and even that would not be a given as a rookie MLB on a veteran unit with significant pass coverage requirements for the MLB).

When I think of it, I don't recall many drafts where the Bills needs have matched up with the quality of that year's draft class.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Folks won't like positional value, but I am open to this as well. I sure as hell would rather go this direction than MLB at 27. I also wouldn't rule out Kincaid and Mayer in the first, though if you want blocking help for the OL, Washington is your fella.

I do think there are a handful of wrs that Beane should pick at 27 if they are available. Still think they are hardwired to go D, but we'll see.

The idea of drafting a WR or TE2 is exciting.  It means the FO sees a huge talent.  But IMO it is unlikely.

From a financial perspective, picking at 27 is around a $2.5M spot.  We just picked up someone comparable to J Hyatt for under $2M, we had someone on our practice squad sniped on us comparable to Q Johnson - Hodgins.  Our TE2's have salaries under $3M - even OJ Howard.

Or the Bills can take what looks like a comparable to the guy that just left us for $18M.

4 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Which is the exact reaction Beane hoped to create when he asked Nagy to post this “news”

No. It’s a very bad top of the draft for WRs. Just no clear WR1’s.

I personally feel it’s a pretty weak draft overall. Not very exciting draft. Which tells me to draft offensive lineman early and often.

I would take 2 OL in the 1st 3 rounds and try to grab a WR that falls down in the 1st or 2nd.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

13 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The idea of drafting a WR or TE2 is exciting.  It means the FO sees a huge talent.  But IMO it is unlikely.

From a financial perspective, picking at 27 is around a $2.5M spot.  We just picked up someone comparable to J Hyatt for under $2M, we had someone on our practice squad sniped on us comparable to Q Johnson - Hodgins.  Our TE2's have salaries under $3M - even OJ Howard.

Or the Bills can take what looks like a comparable to the guy that just left us for $18M.

I don't see Hyatt as a first round wr. Johnson is boom or bust, but I think he could be DK Metcalf. I don't equate him with Hodgins who is a big slot.

Our TE2s have been an afterthought. I'm considering a scenario where Dorsey would make 12 personnel more of a staple. Kincaid, Mayer, Washington, and LaPorta are the top four at the position with differing skill sets. Kincaid has the most dangerous offensive potential, imo, but he's not a blocker. Washington is a monster blocker, but limited to a RZ offensive threat. I think TE is one of the stronger talent positions in a weak draft, so I personally hope we grab one of these guys.

Edited by Dr. Who

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

How many two TE sets do you expect Dorsey to utilize?  While we need a 2nd TE, using pick 27 on one would be a mistake IMO. 

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Washington also has untapped receiver potential, he can definitely do some damage against a defense. There's upside there.....how much is the question.

5 hours ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

I don't think this is a surprise. I have zero true 1sts. I have two borderline 1st/2nds - Addison and JSN. 

Dane Brugler's draft guide came out today. He is one of the best in the business. He had one true first - JSN. He then had four borderlines that were (in order) - Addison, Hyatt, Flowers, Johnston. 

On Johnston particularly I feel like I have been making this point for weeks. People understandably love the ceiling. But the floor is like Kevin White style bust. 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think this is a surprise. I have zero true 1sts. I have two borderline 1st/2nds - Addison and JSN. 

Dane Brugler's draft guide came out today. He is one of the best in the business. He had one true first - JSN. He then had four borderlines that were (in order) - Addison, Hyatt, Flowers, Johnston. 

On Johnston particularly I feel like I have been making this point for weeks. People understandably love the ceiling. But the floor is like Kevin White style bust. 

Give me Hyatt  ALL DAY!!  & a TE that's a good pass catcher and suddenly the offense has actually added real value 

IF THE COACHING STAFF IS SMART ENOUGH TO PLAY THEM. Sigh 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.