NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Give me Hyatt  ALL DAY!!  & a TE that's a good pass catcher and suddenly the offense has actually added real value 

IF THE COACHING STAFF IS SMART ENOUGH TO PLAY THEM. Sigh 

Don't worry about the intelligence of the coaching staff, the GM is smart enough not to put them in that bind.  The FO already bought a Hyatt clone for a third less of the price, so not happening.  A TE2 to replace Morris, complete luxury pick, not happening (at least not in the 1st round).

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The idea of drafting a WR or TE2 is exciting.  It means the FO sees a huge talent.  But IMO it is unlikely.

From a financial perspective, picking at 27 is around a $2.5M spot.  We just picked up someone comparable to J Hyatt for under $2M, we had someone on our practice squad sniped on us comparable to Q Johnson - Hodgins.  Our TE2's have salaries under $3M - even OJ Howard.

Or the Bills can take what looks like a comparable to the guy that just left us for $18M.

One would think this just may be a good idea.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No. It’s a very bad top of the draft for WRs. Just no clear WR1’s.

I personally feel it’s a pretty weak draft overall. Not very exciting draft. Which tells me to draft offensive lineman early and often.

I would take 2 OL in the 1st 3 rounds and try to grab a WR that falls down in the 1st or 2nd.

I mean, I was half joking, but I do think most of these posts are probably a result of doing a GM/FO a favor than actually polling every NFL GM/FO.

IMHO, regardless of whether they are a "WR1", there are 3-4, maybe 5, WRs I'd be happy with at 27. Definitely JSN, Flowers, and Addison. Johnston probably too (haven't looked into him much b/c he's likely not making it to 27). Maybe Hyatt.

The draft OL early and often bit? You're speaking my language. To me the best value seems to be Avila in round 2 if he lasts to our pick.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

On Johnston particularly I feel like I have been making this point for weeks. People understandably love the ceiling. But the floor is like Kevin White style bust. 

Wasn't Kevin White's problem injuries? He never really had a chance to develop and get his career off the ground.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Wasn't Kevin White's problem injuries? He never really had a chance to develop and get his career off the ground.

In part, sure. But some of his issues were the same. Didn't run routes and played smaller than his size. The two other ***** body vertical style 1st round receivers I remember having those concerns on are Brashad Perriman and Kevin White. I am not saying Johnston isn't a viable gamble, especially in this class, but he is treated on this board at times like a sure thing and he is essentially a spin of the roulette wheel.

Watching the most recent Sam Monsons (Pff) mock draft- Cam Smith-  🤮 

They dismissed Elam.  

said there were no LBs or DTs worthy.

Offensive line- maybe- 

BPAs we’re Myles murphy, Bresee, mcdonald, mayer, flowers, Forbes, mazi.

Anton harrison went top 20 iirc

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Watching the most recent Sam Monsons (Pff) mock draft- Cam Smith-  🤮 

They dismissed Elam.  

said there were no LBs or DTs worthy.

Offensive line- maybe- 

BPAs we’re Myles murphy, Bresee, mcdonald, mayer, flowers, Forbes, mazi.

Anton harrison went top 20 iirc

If they go cb again in the first I really will lose it. I'd rather take Mazi over Jack Campbell if they are going to burn another first rounder on D.

I would probably take Mayer from that list.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In part, sure. But some of his issues were the same. Didn't run routes and played smaller than his size. The two other ***** body vertical style 1st round receivers I remember having those concerns on are Brashad Perriman and Kevin White. I am not saying Johnston isn't a viable gamble, especially in this class, but he is treated on this board at times like a sure thing and he is essentially a spin of the roulette wheel.

I think people are excited about him because this class is so bad. He’s the only big guy with elite upside.  What he could be is spectacular and better than anyone in the draft.  In a draft as weak as this years, he’s the perfect guy to roll the dice on.

I see the problems with his hands- but everyone else is sub 6 foot, sub 166-190lbs.  Size is nice to have.  Coach him up.  Let Diggs work with him.  Gabe is a super hard worker and going into his FA year.  You can bet he’ll be working his tail off even harder.   Johnston would be in a great WR room.  That stuff cannot be discounted in regards to an athletes maturation.    

I’d be pumped but my first year expectations would be tempered. I think gabe would probably start

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think people are excited about him because this class is so bad. He’s the only guy with big guy with elite upside.  What he could be is spectacular and better than anyone in the draft.  In a draft as weak as this years, he’s the perfect guy to roll the dice on.

I see the problems with his hands- but everyone else is sub 6 foot, sub 166-190lbs.  Size is nice to have.  Coach him up.  Let Diggs work with him.  Gabe is a super hard worker and going into his FA year.  You can bet he’ll be working his tail off even harder.   Johnston would be in a great WR room.  That stuff cannot be discounted in regards to an athletes maturation.    

I’d be pumped but my first year expectations would be tempered. I think gabe would probably start

I understand why people are excited about his potential. Just not sure there has been enough recognition of the other side of the coin.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.