NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

Everyone on this list makes sense from a Bills perspective with maybe the exception of Dell now. 

Mapu is a dude at Sac State. Very much a big Nickel/Matt Milano type. Can do multiple things and can’t believe he wasn’t invited to the combine. Reminds me of Jeremy Chinn

He did tear his pec after the combine so he might be a medical recheck/stash guy for part of the year. 

18 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I mean, I was half joking, but I do think most of these posts are probably a result of doing a GM/FO a favor than actually polling every NFL GM/FO.

IMHO, regardless of whether they are a "WR1", there are 3-4, maybe 5, WRs I'd be happy with at 27. Definitely JSN, Flowers, and Addison. Johnston probably too (haven't looked into him much b/c he's likely not making it to 27). Maybe Hyatt.

The draft OL early and often bit? You're speaking my language. To me the best value seems to be Avila in round 2 if he lasts to our pick.

I don’t think Avila will be there at pick 59.

All the WRs are compromises.  I could see Flowers or Downs helping in the slot, love they’re quick, but so small.  I would understand if they took Hyatt, but he is slightly built and is he a one-trick pony?  JSN will be a very good slot receiver- if he stays healthy and I would not touch Quentin Johnston- his hands and not-so-great contested catch ability are a big red flag for me.

None of the above are what people think of as great value for round 1 in most years.

I can’t find any player who’s likely to be available at pick 27 that they “gotta have”.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Everyone on this list makes sense from a Bills perspective with maybe the exception of Dell now. 

Mapu is a dude at Sac State. Very much a big Nickel/Matt Milano type. Can do multiple things and can’t believe he wasn’t invited to the combine. Reminds me of Jeremy Chinn

He did tear his pec after the combine so he might be a medical recheck/stash guy for part of the year. 

Not looked at Mapu at all. Will add him to the small list of guys I might still try to get to. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the last thing the defense needs is undersized tweeners.  We need a MASSIVE DT in the mid rounds.  Oliver could be traded on draft day for the best pick you can get

I would love a fat DT in round 3 or 4. Get a guy that can plug the middle. 

Just now, TheBeaneBandit said:

Agreed. That's where Houston scored DJ Reader. As a bonus he was able to add more value with his ability to collapse the pocket. Get me one of those please.

Ah that's one this board loved and we missed on. He went in the fifth, one pick after Tyreek Hill and 10ish picks after we picked Jonathan Williams.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Agreed. That's where Houston scored DJ Reader. As a bonus he was able to add more value with his ability to collapse the pocket. Get me one of those please.

If there is a DJ Reader they should absolutely be in on him. I think they are alright at 1 tech this year with DaQuan Jones, but I wasn't a big fan of what we got from Tim Settle last year and if there is a young 1 tech they can groom to take the starting job next year they should be in on that. But I don't want just a big fat bloke. I want someone who has some penetration skills as well as being able to anchor in the run game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t think Avila will be there at pick 59.

All the WRs are compromises.  I could see Flowers or Downs helping in the slot, love they’re quick, but so small.  I would understand if they took Hyatt, but he is slightly built and is he a one-trick pony?  JSN will be a very good slot receiver- if he stays healthy and I would not touch Quentin Johnston- his hands and not-so-great contested catch ability are a big red flag for me.

None of the above are what people think of as great value for round 1 in most years.

I can’t find any player who’s likely to be available at pick 27 that they “gotta have”.

Looking less and less likely Avila slides, agreed. Hope he does!

I think JSN, Addison, and Flowers are good picks at 27. True alpha WR1’s? No. But certainly WR1B-WR2 type guys. Flowers is small but still wins at all 3 levels and makes contested catches. Addison also wins at all 3 levels and is a route running technician. JSN I think will only be a bad pick if his medicals prevent it. Johnson, yeah, he’s good but maybe more of a Shenault-level WR.

If we could make our pick this year another year, then I’d be all for it! But I think we have to use it on this draft. Maybe you’d prefer a trade down for picks next year, but this team needs contributors for this season. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If there is a DJ Reader they should absolutely be in on him. I think they are alright at 1 tech this year with DaQuan Jones, but I wasn't a big fan of what we got from Tim Settle last year and if there is a young 1 tech they can groom to take the starting job next year they should be in on that. But I don't want just a big fat bloke. I want someone who has some penetration skills as well as being able to anchor in the run game. 

I wanted Reader badly that year. Great value for round 5.

Been missing the days of Pat Williams and Sam Adams in the middle. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

They MUST get a DT somewhere in this draft they have nothing after this year under contract

I agree, but it doesn’t have to be early. You can find a fat guy at any point in the draft. Heck, our best DT last year is a former 4th rounder. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well said as always Bill. 

Here is my draft thought that I have been thinking about recently and figure this thread is as good as any to put it.

How would people feel about DeAndre Hopkins and pick 34 for pick 27 with Arizona eating most of the salary.  This would be about the value of a 3rd round pick and get that 5th year option for Arizona.  It would then allow the Bills to solve the WR position and still be in a spot to fill the LB or OT need.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

Here is my draft thought that I have been thinking about recently and figure this thread is as good as any to put it.

How would people feel about DeAndre Hopkins and pick 34 for pick 27 with Arizona eating most of the salary.  This would be about the value of a 3rd round pick and get that 5th year option for Arizona.  It would then allow the Bills to solve the WR position and still be in a spot to fill the LB or OT need.

I'm under the impression AZ is dealing Hopkins to get out from under the contract. They might conceivably retain some of it, but I think this particular scenario is unlikely.

5 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Looking less and less likely Avila slides, agreed. Hope he does!

I think JSN, Addison, and Flowers are good picks at 27. True alpha WR1’s? No. But certainly WR1B-WR2 type guys. Flowers is small but still wins at all 3 levels and makes contested catches. Addison also wins at all 3 levels and is a route running technician. JSN I think will only be a bad pick if his medicals prevent it. Johnson, yeah, he’s good but maybe more of a Shenault-level WR.

If we could make our pick this year another year, then I’d be all for it! But I think we have to use it on this draft. Maybe you’d prefer a trade down for picks next year, but this team needs contributors for this season. 

I wanted Reader badly that year. Great value for round 5.

Been missing the days of Pat Williams and Sam Adams in the middle. 

Ted Washington

//youtu.be/lUWU-JzmawM

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

On Monday, ESPN reporter Adam Schefter reported that six teams have inquired with the Arizona Cardinals about a trade for the third-overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. WalterFootball.com reported months ago that Arizona wanted to move down. We checked back on Tuesday night with multiple sources from other teams with top-10 picks, and they said they felt that the report from ESPN was floated out by the Cardinals in hopes to drum up a trade market that is not producing significant offers.

"They have, maybe, talked to two teams max," said a director from another team in the top 10. "I don't think they have any kind of serious interest or a substantial offer, if any."

Other teams felt the same way. A general manager of a team picking in the top 10 texted that Arizona wants to move down and is trying to create a market with that report.

"Arizona saying six teams have talked to them is them trying to drum a market because they want to move down, but no team is offering a good package of picks," said a director from a different team with a top-10 pick.

In every draft, there are teams that badly want to move down but are stuck at their pick without a quality offer. That could be the case for Arizona this year. Despite the media hype about players like Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson and Kentucky quarterback Will Levis, both players did not have a good season of tape in 2022 and are viewed as developmental projects.

"It's all drumming," texted a long-time general manger. "I would guess maybe six have called, at the most. But only two of them might be POSSIBLE trade partners."

In 2020, many criticized the Detroit Lions for not moving down from the third-overall pick given that Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert were available. The Lions, however, did not have a quality offer to make the move, so general manager Bob Quinn was forced to stick and pick, selecting Ohio State cornerback Jeff Okudah. Perhaps Arizona's tactic will be successful this year though. There are teams desperate for a quarterback, so it might work out for the Cardinals, and Schefter's report could succeed in helping to create a trade market.

That being said, sources from multiple other teams picking behind Arizona in the top 10 think that the franchise is trying hard to drum up a market, but a trade down is not a guarantee and the team may not have a serious trade market materialize.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.