NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Hearing this makes me think that they might actually be targeting an offensive player. I highly doubt they would move up for a defensive player this year. My guess is this could mean someone like JSN, skoronski, Johnston, or Robinson. 

If we trade up for any offensive player, my guess is Quentin Johnston. He is a Brandon Beane pick through and through. Elite size and athletic traits, premium position, reportedly hyper competitive and the hardest worker on the team. If he falls to a range where Beane can package this year's or next year's 3rd to go up and get him I won't be surprised if he pulls the trigger.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

19 minutes ago, DJB said:

Makes me think its not true if a rumor about the Bills is coming out 3 weeks before the draft. Every Bills rumor that has leaked early about something has been false. Are they making cursory phone calls to move up, yea probably. Everyone has eyes for moving up and moving down they make all of these calls in advance. 

I heard they called some people in front of them and the prospects they need aren't going to be there at 27 so I'm going to put two and two together. This is what I'm taking out of this 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Completely agree.  

With the rumors of us being open to a trade up, I have to think someone like Jack Campbell “may” be out of the picture in RD1. 

Being open to a trade up tells me the Bills want an impact player for Josh … which leads me to OL, WR or Bijan Robinson. 

I totally agree with this. Beane has been steadfast that they might have edmunds replacement in the building already. A lot of fans don’t want to believe it, but they have no reason to smokescreen that position. Any LB would be a reach at 27 and Beane isn’t about to do that imo. 

There was a real problem at the end of last year with Diggs and Allen both being unhappy about the supporting cast. Beane know this is an area he needs to upgrade to keep his stars happy. No LB is going to make as much a difference as an offensive skill player or protection. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If we trade up for any offensive player, my guess is Quentin Johnston. He is a Brandon Beane pick through and through. Elite size and athletic traits, premium position, reportedly hyper competitive and the hardest worker on the team. If he falls to a range where Beane can package this year's or next year's 3rd to go up and get him I won't be surprised if he pulls the trigger.

I sorta think this as well. I’ve seen some smoke on Johnston and the bills this past week and you’re right…he’s a traitsy Beane guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yea he is the one that makes sense. He is the skillset that doesn't really exist again in the 2nd or 3rd round (even thought he is FAR from a perfect prospect). You can get lesser versions of Addison and JSN in rounds 2 and 3. And lesser version of the lineman (save for probably Paris Johnson). But if you want a size, speed, vertical threat outside receiver it is Johnston and that is it.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, DJB said:

We only have 6 picks this year and moving up even a little bit likely takes at least one of our top 4 picks this year (took a 4th to move up 2 spots for Elam last year) or assets from next year when it will hopefully be a stronger draft.

Beane should be focusing on getting deals to move back to gain more assets before ever thinking about moving up. Our team is getting more and more expensive each year. The more picks you have the more chances you have on hitting on a star player or at least filling your depth with cheap labor in the future. I hope and trust Beane will make the smart decision. Can’t wait for the draft to finally be here lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is my own rumor:  Beane hates letting extra pick burn in his pocket.  With him already putting the 3rd round comp pick into the equation next year, good chance he trades our 3rd next year to move up.  I would think moving up in round 2 could be ideal.  Should be worth at least ten spots.  Could get you into the top 50 again.

I think they could target Det at 48 because they have the most capital this year and would like to push some of that to next year.

Edited by Back2Buff

10 minutes ago, LEBills said:

We only have 6 picks this year and moving up even a little bit likely takes at least one of our top 4 picks this year (took a 4th to move up 2 spots for Elam last year) or assets from next year when it will hopefully be a stronger draft.

Beane should be focusing on getting deals to move back to gain more assets before ever thinking about moving up. Our team is getting more and more expensive each year. The more picks you have the more chances you have on hitting on a star player or at least filling your depth with cheap labor in the future. I hope and trust Beane will make the smart decision. Can’t wait for the draft to finally be here lol

I could see him doing what he did last year, move up to get Johnston then move down in the 2nd and 3rd to recoup some picks. 

I think you shoot your shot in the first if they can get a guy they really want and figure out the rest later. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I could see him doing what he did last year, move up to get Johnston then move down in the 2nd and 3rd to recoup some picks. 

I think you shoot your shot in the first if they can get a guy they really want and figure out the rest later. 

Problem with that is you may lose your 2nd or 3rd depending on the trade up. For me the draft is a crapshoot and the more swings you get to take the more likely you get one right. Doesn’t help I don’t think moving up in this draft nets you someone significantly better than someone at 27 or later I guess

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Trading up in the first is too expensive….a fourth to move up two spots …if they gotta do that again then that should be the maximum to outlay…

They need to keep their second and third and take immediate contributors..

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

Problem with that is you may lose your 2nd or 3rd depending on the trade up. For me the draft is a crapshoot and the more swings you get to take the more likely you get one right. Doesn’t help I don’t think moving up in this draft nets you someone significantly better than someone at 27 or later I guess

Im with you… 

• Like (+1) 2

After a string of years with good wide receiver talent for the NFL drafts, the 2023 NFL Draft is viewed as a down year at the position with only three wideouts expected to be sure-fire first-rounders. Last year, four receivers were selected in the first dozen selection, with six going in the top-20 picks. For the 2023 NFL Draft, the first-round wideouts are considered to be TCU's Quentin Johnston, Ohio State's Jaxon Smith-Njigba and USC's Jordan Addison. Boston College's Zay Flowers is a candidate to sneak into Round 1 as well. However, the order they come off the board could be very random because there is not a consensus among teams about which one is the top receiver prospect.

Sources from a handful of teams said the offensive scheme and the type of receivers who are already on a roster are going to dictate what a team is looking to draft at the position.

"It will vary by team," said an NFC general manager. "I think it will depend on the type of wide receivers they currently have under contract. Different flavors will appeal to different teams."

The general manager elaborated that if a team wanted a big receiver, they would prefer Johnston, and if they wanted speedm they would be more inclined to Smith-Njigba or Addison.

"Jaxon [Smith-Njigba] and Quentin [Johnston] are the top two in my mind," said an AFC director of player personnel. "Addison is third."

Most team sources believe that a wide receiver will not crack the top 10, but that the top three could start coming off the board in the teens.

13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Trading up in the first is too expensive….a fourth to move up two spots …if they gotta do that again then that should be the maximum to outlay…

They need to keep their second and third and take immediate contributors..

I disagree. I think they need quality rather than quantity in the situation they are in. The past few years they have had to cut later draft picks who couldn’t make the roster. Also, our picks are late in the round.  Our 4th is really almost pretty much a 5th, especially with all the comp picks at the end of the third. And we have two picks within 7 picks of each other in that area. I would gladly give it up if it means I can get an actual first round graded player with upside like a Johnston. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I disagree. I think they need quality rather than quantity in the situation they are in. The past few years they have had to cut later draft picks who couldn’t make the roster. Also, our picks are late in the round.  Our 4th is really almost pretty much a 5th, especially with all the comp picks at the end of the third. And we have two picks within 7 picks of each other in that area. I would gladly give it up if it means I can get an actual first round graded player with upside like a Johnston. 

Like I said… give up the fourth if you must to move up two spots ( that’s all you get based on what we saw last year..) … just keep the second and third ..

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This.  We have a lot of good players and already, where we stand, pretty good depth.   

We need elite players.  

If we are in position to get one, get one. 

We have OL depth, DL depth, Secondary depth, LB depth, RB depth, WR depth etc etc … 

What we don’t have is a stud cornerstone Offensive Lineman, stud RB, top tier WR2. 

In a deep Top tier Tackle class, with a RB like Bijan and (even in a weak class) some potential high level WR’s… the opportunity to address one of those spots seems - to me - more important than drafting another “good” player or keeping a Day 2 and/or mid-rounder to throw another guy into the depth & develop competition. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yep. That is pretty much how I see it. I have Addison, JSN, Johnston in that order as the 3 first round locks but I don't have any of them with a true 1st round grade. They all have strengths and weaknesses. It is going to come down to scheme and tastes. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

A player with elite size/speed who is a hard worker is a great combo. I'd be ok with giving up a third to get that if Beane thinks he can succeed at the next level.

Even if it takes him a couple years to really hit his potential (I'm not saying he doesn't contribute in the first couple years though), by then we can let Steff go and free up a lot of cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Like I said… give up the fourth if you must to move up two spots ( that’s all you get based on what we saw last year..) … just keep the second and third ..

Misread your post. I agree. And I would probably part with the 3rd if I had to. Would like to hold on to the two. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Completely agree.  

With the rumors of us being open to a trade up, I have to think someone like Jack Campbell “may” be out of the picture in RD1. 

Being open to a trade up tells me the Bills want an impact player for Josh … which leads me to OL, WR or Bijan Robinson. 

I think you are projecting what you want.  They very well could be seeing what it might take to move up to get Campbell.  If D Sanders goes off the board at around 21, the FO could get very nervous.   This just happened last year with Elam.

While a lot of posters would love to see a move to get Q Johnston (myself included) which, by the way, is very different than the cringe worthy prospect of moving up for Bijan Robinson (which would make me violently ill), I don't think the FO would take such a risk. 

The FO has an excellent opportunity to get a good 4-5 year starting mlb for around $3M/yr.  Do it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Einstein's Dog said:

I think you are projecting what you want.  They very well could be seeing what it might take to move up to get Campbell.  If D Sanders goes off the board at around 21, the FO could get very nervous.   This just happened last year with Elam.

While a lot of posters would love to see a move to get Q Johnston (myself included) which, by the way, is very different than the cringe worthy prospect of moving up for Bijan Robinson (which would make me violently ill), I don't think the FO would take such a risk. 

The FO has an excellent opportunity to get a good 4-5 year starting mlb for around $3M/yr.  Do it. 

If the Bills trade up to get Jack Campbell at say 20 or 21, Brandon Beane should be fired. I'm not big on hyperbole but taking him at 27 will be bad enough but trading additional assets for a guy who is a 2nd round pick all day even in a weak draft would have me lose massive trust in him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Misread your post. I agree. And I would probably part with the 3rd if I had to. Would like to hold on to the two. 

Ok.. …

As we saw last year from Beane… he will move up to get someone at a position of need … so it wouldn’t totally surprise..

I’m not aiming this at you, but I think some people here don’t really appreciate what it takes to move up in the first round… they seem to think the Bills can get from 27 up to the mid teens by throwing out a couple of Day 3 picks…

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.