Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Thinking back, Dorsey was dealt a pretty bad hand.  I'm optimistic he has a good Year 2.  

-He has a brand new OL coach trying to implement a new scheme with middle of the road talent, which led to a bottom third OL ranking.  

-He had no real slot WR after Crowder went down early in the season.

-His WR2 turned out to be a high end WR3/big play threat.

-Josh Allen busted up his elbow halfway through the season and clearly wasn't right, albeit improving, throughout the rest of the season.  

Oh man. If only Leslie Frazier had to deal with injuries and poor performers on the defensive side. Lmao

1 hour ago, Billl said:

The Bills lose to the Bengals 27-10 and everyone walks away talking about the defensive failings. Football fans are funny.

Did you watch the game?  You need to check out the stats.  Let's start with the Bengals getting 30 first downs. 

Sure the offense wasn't dominate but at every key point in the game the D failed:

* The Bengal's scored TD's on their first two drives of the game.  They were up 14 - 0 before the Bill's had touched the ball for their 2nd possession.

*  After the Bills had cut the lead to 14 - 7 the D allowed the Bengals to go on a long time consuming drive that ended in a FG and a 17 - 7 lead.  And the only reason Cincy didn't score a TD on that drive was a great play by Millano and a dropped pass by Chase.

*  At the start of the 3rd quarter the Bills went on a long drive that ended in a FG cutting the Bengal's lead to 17 - 10.  Sure a TD would have been better but at home it was now a one score game and the D needed to step up and grab the momentum.

*  Instead Cincy goes on a long TD drive to go up 24- 10 and use up most of the rest of the 3rd quarter in the process.

And when fans criticize the D it comes from a knowledge that Buffalo has favored the D in draft picks and FA signings over the last 3 years.  The Bills chose to prioritize the D over the O so more is expected of the defense.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

10 points.

dorsey should also take some time 

I'm not happy with Dorsey either but there's a pretty big difference in an OC that's going into year 2 of his career as a coordinator vs Frazier who has been a DC/HC for over 15 years.  

What you see with Frazier is what you're going to get.  He's not going to start shaking it all up in his 60s.  Dorsey can still pivot and improve this early into his career. 

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Did you watch the game?  You need to check out the stats.  Let's start with the Bengals getting 30 first downs. 

Sure the offense wasn't dominate but at every key point in the game the D failed:

* The Bengal's scored TD's on their first two drives of the game.  They were up 14 - 0 before the Bill's had touched the ball for their 2nd possession.

*  After the Bills had cut the lead to 14 - 7 the D allowed the Bengals to go on a long time consuming drive that ended in a FG and a 17 - 7 lead.  And the only reason Cincy didn't score a TD on that drive was a great play by Millano and a dropped pass by Chase.

*  At the start of the 3rd quarter the Bills went on a long drive that ended in a FG cutting the Bengal's lead to 17 - 10.  Sure a TD would have been better but at home it was now a one score game and the D needed to step up and grab the momentum.

*  Instead Cincy goes on a long TD drive to go up 24- 10 and use up most of the rest of the 3rd quarter in the process.

And when fans criticize the D it comes from a knowledge that Buffalo has favored the D in draft picks and FA signings over the last 3 years.  The Bills chose to prioritize the D over the O so more is expected of the defense.

Before the game if I told you the Bengals only scored 27 you would’ve taken it. If I told you the Bills only scored 10 you would have guaranteed a loss 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Both sides of the ball failed hard that game. I'd say the Offense failed harder. That's all.

I think that is fair. Also, hard to take away very much from that game at all as the entire team was "off".

Still, third season in a row -- 4th if you count the 2nd-half meltdown against the Texans in 2019 -- where the team was eliminated from the playoffs with a poor showing by the defense.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

For those who want a bit of a thoughtful analysis of the Bills statistically excellent D rather than a knee jerk hot take, this is pretty good:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-offseason-questions-how-can-the-defense-be-tweaked-to-get-over-playoff-hump/article_aaaa7c84-b398-11ed-b263-2742817ebae6.html

Thanks for posting this.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Personnel and resource allocation wise I agree. That has to be more of the model. They shouldn't change a lot schematically though. They need to hope Tre comes back to full form. They need to develop Elam and they need to be better up front.

In addition to allocating the lions share of the resources to the Offense the D needs to:

*  Take more chances and become a pressure defense.

*  Play their rookies early and often.  If a draft pick shows signs of being good put him on the field knowing there will be mistakes. KC had what, 3 rookies staring on D in the SB?

*  Change the philosophy to one that recognizes that when a team moves the ball and keeps your O off the field you are failing even if they don't score or only get a FG instead of a TD.  The Offense should be the strength of the Bills.  An opponents 3 and out should be treated like a TO.  And if you give up a quick TD know that your high powered O will be right back on the field. 

This is how KC does it. 

As an aside, offenses need to establish a rhythm.  When they're sitting on a bench they are getting themselves out of sync whch leads to 3 and outs when they do finally get the ball.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Before the game if I told you the Bengals only scored 27 you would’ve taken it. If I told you the Bills only scored 10 you would have guaranteed a loss 

Apples and oranges. If I told you that the Bengals gained 30 first downs, had 412 yards in total Offense, rushed the ball for 172 yards, had 34 minutes TOP, had no turnovers and gave up only 1 sack what would you have thought?

If the Bengals had needed to score 40 points they could have. 

47 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Three games if we're being honest here:  Twice against KC and against the Bengals.  And the D wasn't exactly stellar against Indy in that playoff game either.  Came close to blowing a 24 - 10 4th quarter lead.

They were absolutely shredded by Indy. First time a team has lost in the postseason with over 450 yards and 0 turnovers.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

Despite a couple big flops, he has done an outstanding job in Buffalo and Minnesota. I seriously doubt he'll be back, but some other team will be lucky to have him in 2024. Isn't it just like a few small minded fans to overlook the devastating impact of all the injuries he had to deal with this past season. I don't know that anyone else could have done it any better. That said, I'm hopeful for the future. If our defense can stay where it's at with a healthy DL and the OL gets a huge upgrade, 2024 will be our best year ever.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, nosejob said:

They've been needing this for 2 years.

The key point in recent Bills history was at the end of the 2020 season when Buffalo opted to make do with less on the offense and maximize the firepower on defense.  An offensively minded coaching/management group would have recognized the unique talent the Bills had at QB and surrounded Allen was as much talent as the CAP would allow.  Under no circumstances would they let the O line atrophy in the way it has. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Thinking back, Dorsey was dealt a pretty bad hand. I'm optimistic he has a good Year 2.  

-He has a brand new OL coach trying to implement a new scheme with middle of the road talent, which led to a bottom third OL ranking.  

-He had no real slot WR after Crowder went down early in the season.

-His WR2 turned out to be a high end WR3/big play threat.

-Josh Allen busted up his elbow halfway through the season and clearly wasn't right, albeit improving, throughout the rest of the season.  

I wish our OL had mid level talent. That would be a big upgrade. I agree on your other points though.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm hearing Bobby Babich is the front runner to take the job. Apparently McDermott wanted Frazier to stay, so this was not a stealth firing. He genuinely wanted to take a year off after thinking it over but it's doubtful he ever returns to the Bills.

https://bufbills.com/player-bios/bobby_babich.pdf

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The problem with that line of thinking is I'm convinced Cincy could've easily hung 40 on us had they wanted.  Instead, they simply decided to pound the rock and chew the clock in the second half because our defense couldn't stop it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Hope he doesn’t have health issues. I wonder if McDermott will be more involved in playcalling or if we will find a replacement.

MC.D and Frazier have been in their own bubble spheres for too long. The last 5 years has been like watching paint dry, same old color, same old texture, same old crappy finish & outcome.  It's time to burst the bubbles and get some new blood into our D scheme.

If MC.D calls our D for us this entire year, then I can officially say...we are heading for a mess just like the past 4 years has been with our D.

We have a special delivery for Mr. McDermott!!  Clapping your hands does not win super bowls!!!!

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

They were absolutely shredded by Indy. First time a team has lost in the postseason a team has lost with over 450 yards and 0 turnovers.

Yep and as I recall some of the usual suspects on TBD were pissed at Allen for taking a sack late in the 4th quarter and almost losing a fumble.   In that playoff game, as he has done in several, Allen put the team on his shoulders and carried the Bills to victory.  If Rivers hadn't lost his touch at the end of that game the Colts would likely have won it thanks in no small part to the D's 4th quarter meltdown.

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

In addition to allocating the lions share of the resources to the Offense the D needs to:

*  Take more chances and become a pressure defense.

*  Play their rookies early and often.  If a draft pick shows signs of being good put him on the field knowing there will be mistakes. KC had what, 3 rookies staring on D in the SB?

*  Change the philosophy to one that recognizes that when a team moves the ball and keeps your O off the field you are failing even if they don't score or only get a FG instead of a TD.  The Offense should be the strength of the Bills.  An opponents 3 and out should be treated like a TO.  And if you give up a quick TD know that your high powered O will be right back on the field. 

This is how KC does it. 

As an aside, offenses need to establish a rhythm.  When they're sitting on a bench they are getting themselves out of sync whch leads to 3 and outs when they do finally get the ball.

Disagree on the 1st. The Bills don't need to send more pressure. They need their front 4 to be better at generating it.

Agree on the 2nd (although they need the GM to draft better rookies first.... more Elam - yes; more Bernard - hell no). 

Disagree mostly. You have to avoid giving up cheap scores. Especially when, like the Bills offense became this year, you have a station to station offense. I agree they need more 3 and outs. They struggled in that metric in 2022, but in other years under Frazier they have consistently been top 4 in the fewest plays per drive against and 3 and outs forced. Given that was a 2022 problem I suggest injuries and shuffling personnel was more of a factor than scheme.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

Yep and as I recall some of the usual suspects on TBD were pissed at Allen for taking a sack late in the 4th quarter and almost losing a fumble.   In that playoff game, as he has done in several, Allen put the team on his shoulders and carried the Bills to victory.  If Rivers hadn't lost his touch at the end of that game the Colts would likely have won it thanks in no small part to the D's 4th quarter meltdown.

Also a horrible non-reversal on a clear fumble by the Colts on that last possession ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, RunninRebel37 said:

I don’t get the hate with Frazier. Bills defense under his tenure have always been…what top 10 - excluding 2018 and 2020 - with them being top 2 two different seasons. Their play in the playoffs has been sufficient too given their talent. The Bills lost to the Bengals for a variety of reasons, primarily the offensive line breaking down, receivers not getting open or making plays, and the OC not scheming anything up. 

Wish him the best and hope his contributions are remembered fairly and appreciated. Sean McDermott wouldn’t be who he is today without him. 

I think McD wouldn’t be where he is today without 2015 Cam Newton…🙂

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

What quality DC is going to accept a job for one year??  This is an odd move. If they're serious that he'll be back in 2024 then they'll probably just look to fill his shoes from within.  This is so weird its almost dysfunctional. 

Almost?  😂 

It's a horrible look.  

If his contract is up, McD should say it.  If he's been fired, drop a pair and announce it.  

This mimics his onfield coaching and pressers.  

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm hearing Bobby Babich is the front runner to take the job. Apparently McDermott wanted Frazier to stay, so this was not a stealth firing. He genuinely wanted to take a year off after thinking it over but it's doubtful he ever returns to the Bills.

Of course McDermott wanted Leslie to stay. McDermott watches the film and understands what he is seeing. He knows how much of the blame really belongs with Leslie Frazier and it is not a ton. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

For the sake of argument. How can we trash Frazier and say they are better off with out him? But then not say the same about McD or Beane? Frazier has been DC of a top-ranked D for multiple years, but that has fallen short. Beane built a contender that has fallen short every year. McD has coached a good team that has lost in the playoffs and in some different ways, both play and coaching. Why do McD and Beane get a pass and Frazier gets no credit? The D is good because McD, but all the bad attributes are due to Frazier? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.