Tanner Gentry tired of the Bills PS

PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Last I saw, the Bills had cut him from the practice squad mid-January.

Tanner Gentry: Cut from Buffalo's practice squad

Rotowire  JAN 17, 2023

The Bills cut Gentry from their practice squad Tuesday.

Gentry saw three elevations during the regular season but failed to haul in his lone target across 20 offensive snaps. Buffalo also cut Joe Giles-Harris from the practice squad to make room for Cortez Broughton and Dezmon Patmon.

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Tanner Gentry: Cut from Buffalo's practice squad

Rotowire  JAN 17, 2023

The Bills cut Gentry from their practice squad Tuesday.

Gentry saw three elevations during the regular season but failed to haul in his lone target across 20 offensive snaps. Buffalo also cut Joe Giles-Harris from the practice squad to make room for Cortez Broughton and Dezmon Patmon.

20 snaps.  I missed those.  I thought he had zero.  I recall maybe two active games.  But, don't recall a snap.  Good for him to get game action and good for him to sign with the Argo's.  I wish him well.  He has had a sweet gig in Buffalo being JA17's buddy instead of a 9-5 job.

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So he signed with the Argos of the CFL.

Gentry was released from the Bills PS on January 17th.

He was not offered a reserve/futures contract.

So he may be tired of the Bills practice squad, but even if he wasn't, it no longer had a place for him.

Edit: for anyone else curious, NFL practice squad members apparently make considerably more than typical CFL players.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/cfl/news/cfl-players-highest-salaries-list-zach-collaros/vexjkxuyehdigi1lb0btvwwm

Estimated that average players make between $60,000 and $100,000/yr

In contrast, practice squad players in the NFL make $11,500/wk so $207,000 for an 18-game season

Significant salary cut

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Plenty of posters on here too that are tired of being on the "practice squad" so they just keep starting new topics and replying to everything instead of going to a different teams forum 😁.

Don't forget the ones who farm "likes" around here too lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was hoping to see him activated this year, if only for a game and a couple targets. There’s a baseball tradition of giving long-time loyal minor leaguers the proverbial September “cup of coffee” - a couple pitching appearances or a few position starts.
Example: this long time 31 year old minor leaguer and Niagara grad for the Rockies. He got a few starts last Sept and even stole 3 bags.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynton_Bernard

Something to show for all those long bus rides. Maybe that would’ve happened for Gentry if we’d had a game that didn’t count for anything in the standings this year. Unfortunately for Gentry, this was not that year. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich

10 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Hope he does well and get a shot to prove himself in camp.

If only somebody would have given him a shot in the NFL. Imagine if this guy had access to NFL coaching in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, and 2022.

Somebody give this man a shot!

4 hours ago, Mango said:

If only somebody would have given him a shot in the NFL. Imagine if this guy had access to NFL coaching in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, and 2022.

Somebody give this man a shot!

So many guys get passed over for years, he’s held on this long, he may get a real shot and make something of himself yet.  Hodgins just needed a chance to see the field and looked ok.  Fred Jackson struggled to make it work for years, etc.

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

So many guys get passed over for years, he’s held on this long, he may get a real shot and make something of himself yet.  Hodgins just needed a chance to see the field and looked ok.  Fred Jackson struggled to make it work for years, etc.

Hodgins was always quality. He just had some poorly timed injuries at camp. I think the Bills got cute with his roster status. He didn’t “need a chance” I believe he was totally mismanaged, the Bills just thought they could hide him.

FJ flashed. Gentry hasn’t. Fred made an NFL roster in 2006 after graduating in 2003. Gentry graduated in 2017. It’s been 6 years now. Jackson made the Bills at 25. Gentry will be 29 before season end this year. 

I am pretty confident he is a favor to Josh Allen and that’s why he has stuck around for a few seasons. I wish him no ill will, but I would absolutely stunned if he turned into Fred Jackson at the WR position.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.