Bills hire new WR coach Adam Henry

Dablitzkrieg

52 minutes ago, StHustle said:

How is he still here? Did he get a new contract? It expires next month. I believe they would have gotta a new deal done by now if that were the plan. Seems they donā€™t want to ā€œfireā€ him so they are letting it expire before hiring a new one. Just my thoughts.

That would be a pleasant surprise.

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ā 

Sure we could. Let Edmunds walk, plus we have like $50 million in available restructures to create cap space. Give him a 3 year deal that's really a 2 year deal with a smaller cap hit in 2023. We could easily do that and still have room to sign a LB and at least one upgrade on the OL.

Serious question
Do you really expect for Brandon Beane to do all those restructures?

Ā 

He will do some

Ā 

Then heā€™s going to resign his own players

Ā 

Whenever you look at what the general manager is going to do you have to look at past performance this has been beans, MO with the exception of Von Miller

Ā 

Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

Ill take Beckham all day. I know people donā€™t like him, but I actually think he fits really well and having a guy who runs routes the way he does and all the contested catches he makes, well that is exactly what this team needs. Yeah he has a little edge and wants the ball like Diggs. Good. We could use some swagger and an edge. He will be fully healed and rested and likely looking to prove something. Iā€™m all for it.Ā 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Serious question

Ā 

Whenever you look at what the general manager is going to do you have to look at past performance this has been beans, MO with the exception of Von Miller

Ā 

Ā 

It's also exactly what Beane and McDermott have said, from the beginning, that they would do.Ā  They'll pay the guys the want to keep, they'll fill holes in free agency, and they'll draft to feed the pipeline.Ā Ā 

And if this coaching addition is about a star receiver, it's more likely to be about Diggs than OBJ.Ā  I wouldn't be surprised if high on their list of needs when looking at a WR coach was to find someone who can deal with Diggs.Ā  This is a veteran wide receiver coach who has been around his share of guys who need to be handled well.Ā  Ā 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Wr2 problem solved. How much??

I think the word on the street is $13 million per; but maybe we can get that down seeing as the way last season went down with no one signing him, Dallas seemingly disinterested, and so on. Ā Maybe there are concerns about his current health status or fitness level.

Ā 

Not sure I'd pay him more than $10 mil assuming he would take that.

Ā 

A 3 year deal might get it done, I don't know how much interest is truly out there in him.

Ā 

Ā 

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

He's 30 coming off second ACL tear.

Ā 

He's going to want a multi-year probably with lots of guaranteed.

Ā 

No thanks to that.

I wish him luck because I canā€™t see a contending team agreeing to a deal like that for the reason you cited.Ā 

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Serious question
Do you really expect for Brandon Beane to do all those restructures?

Ā 

He will do some

Ā 

Then heā€™s going to resign his own players

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

What do you mean? Beane has always been a big spender in free agency.

Ā 

Mitch Morse

John Brown

Cole Beasley

Trent Murphy

Star Lotulelei

Ā 

That's just the first 5 that immediately come to mind. The issue in the past hasn't been Beane's unwillingness to spend in free agency, it's that his spending has been suboptimal especially on the defensive side.

Ā 

OBJ isn't going to command a massive contract. The same issues others have brought up - his age, his two ACL injuries - will limit his ceiling in free agency. But we have a glaring hole at WR #2 and two of his best friends in the building (Adam Henry and Von Miller). It makes sense for him as much as it does for us.

Ā 

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

He's 30 coming off second ACL tear.

Ā 

He's going to want a multi-year probably with lots of guaranteed.

Ā 

No thanks to that.

I wouldn't assume he's going to get what he wants. It only takes one team to make a bonehead offer, but I suspect the actual price will be more reasonable given his age and injury history.

31 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

He left for JacksonvilleĀ 

To be reunited with the ST coach who blazed that path before him! Ā šŸ˜‹

Ā 

Itā€™s not a Coordinator, but weā€™ve had changes at safety coach, assistant OLine coach (Kromer not impressed? Scapegoat?), Senior Defensive Assistant (DC in waiting?) and who knows what else. We are not without coaching changes. Now, letā€™s hope itā€™s enough to make a difference.Ā 

Ā 

If the new WR coach can make a HUGE difference heā€™d be worthy of Organizational MVP consideration!Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

OBJ isn't going to command a massive contract. The same issues others have brought up - his age, his two ACL injuries - will limit his ceiling in free agency. But we have a glaring hole at WR #2 and two of his best friends in the building (Adam Henry and Von Miller). It makes sense for him as much as it does for us.

Agree, but unfortunately itā€™s a super weak FA year for WRĀ 

KC is potentially losing Hardman and Juju this off-season. Ā 
Ā 

So.. how would yā€™all feel if they signed OBJ to a 2 year deal?

Ā 

If youā€™d hate that, we should sign him. Ā 
Ā 

If you donā€™t care, well then.. thereā€™s your answer. Ā 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Diggs being middle of the pack in terms of separation is understandable given how much attention teams give to him. But what's Davis' excuse being just behind him? This is why we need OBJ or some other WR with true #2 capabilities.

Ā 

Oh and for people who like to say JuJu Smith-Schuster is no better than Davis, look at this chart. Despite being the #1 WR in KC which means he faces #1 CBs he is one of the best separators in the league. I'm kind of sick of people downplaying the talent that Mahomes had around him. Our OL and pass catching options by comparison are second rate. I hope Beane knows this.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Guessing they're too smart for that especially with the amount of draft picks they have.

21 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Bills need a new defensive and offensive coordinators at minimum if the Bills are serious about winning a Super Bowl next season along with a lot of Bills player changes in my opinion. Go Bills! Letā€™s Go BuffaloĀ 

Ā 

Yes, because changing coordinators on both sides of the ball in the same offseason so often leads to Super Bowl victories. I mean, if I had a nickel Ā for every time that happenedā€¦ā€¦.

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

5 teams means he's "close with" a lot of WR.

Ā 

Dude changes jobs (that's a euphemism) like every 2 years since 2006.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The thing that impresses me the most on that resume is coaching LSU WRā€™s. I am NOT saying he had anything to do with developing any of them (though he WAS there with OBJ and Jarvis Landry), but that is one CRAZY WR factory at LSU!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The Chiefs cap situation is a bit different than ours. With 3 restructures they can have $60M. We'd have to kick the can down the road on pretty much everyone to have $35M-$40M. They have less holes to plug than we do and are coming off of winning the SB. I think OBJ chases the money, Jerry pays him the money to come to Dallas, and Beane will not cough up those kinds of resources to bring him here.Ā 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

It's also exactly what Beane and McDermott have said, from the beginning, that they would do.Ā  They'll pay the guys the want to keep, they'll fill holes in free agency, and they'll draft to feed the pipeline.Ā Ā 

And if this coaching addition is about a star receiver, it's more likely to be about Diggs than OBJ.Ā  I wouldn't be surprised if high on their list of needs when looking at a WR coach was to find someone who can deal with Diggs.Ā  This is a veteran wide receiver coach who has been around his share of guys who need to be handled well.Ā  Ā 

To me this draft looks like itā€™s gonna be kind of poor in trying to find a diggs level type player. I would like to see them instead get a mid-level type wide receiver in free agency like Paris Campbell.
Ā 

Let the scouting staff find a diamond in the rough type wide receiver in the later rounds draft either a quality offensive linemen in round one or Bijan Robinson. Also find a quality fit to match up with the office of lineman that you take in the draft double up, but this should be all about making this offense, a sustained powerhouse this year, and letting McDermott coach up his defenseĀ 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Ā 

What do you mean? Beane has always been a big spender in free agency.

Ā 

Mitch Morse

John Brown

Cole Beasley

Trent Murphy

Star Lotulelei

Ā 

That's just the first 5 that immediately come to mind. The issue in the past hasn't been Beane's unwillingness to spend in free agency, it's that his spending has been suboptimal especially on the defensive side.

Ā 

Ā 

But he had money in order to be able to make those acquisitions. This is the first year of having to pay on a franchise QBs contract so heā€™s not gonna be able to go out and do that.
Ā 

Iā€™m not saying we wonā€™t bring in free agents, but I would be willing to bet that we are not active on the first day of free agency this year and they are going to wait till the smoke clears and catch the secondary market

Ā 

If I was using my own money to bid on this, I would say that being is going to keep the young players that he has drafted meaning Edmunds, and that some contracts will be restructured. We already have to do it in order to get under the salary cap as it is and we wonā€™t be big spenderā€™s in free agency. They might target some guys specifically that match this office and may be an offense of lineman.Ā 

Ā 

And I think thatā€™s actually the right thing to do. You donā€™t wanna be kicking the can down the road on all of these contracts then we turn into the Rams. Yes the Rams won a Super Bowl but they were very lucky to get there and now they are a mess that is not beans way.Ā 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

Ā 

Yes, because changing coordinators on both sides of the ball in the same offseason so often leads to Super Bowl victories. I mean, if I had a nickel Ā for every time that happenedā€¦ā€¦.

Ā 

The thing that impresses me the most on that resume is coaching LSU WRā€™s. I am NOT saying he had anything to do with developing any of them, but that is one CRAZY WR factory at LSU!Ā 

Ā 

True

59 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Diggs being middle of the pack in terms of separation is understandable given how much attention teams give to him. But what's Davis' excuse being just behind him? This is why we need OBJ or some other WR with true #2 capabilities.

Ā 

Oh and for people who like to say JuJu Smith-Schuster is no better than Davis, look at this chart. Despite being the #1 WR in KC which means he faces #1 CBs he is one of the best separators in the league. I'm kind of sick of people downplaying the talent that Mahomes had around him. Our OL and pass catching options by comparison are second rate. I hope Beane knows this.

Ā 

@HappyDaysĀ Parris Campbell stands out, in terms of both separation (top 5!) and contract value, as an UFA... Spotrac calculates an AAV of $2.5 million, and he's only 25... I mean, we can get that done; I give him 3 yrs, 7 million, 5 guaranteed... Git 'er done, Beane.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

OBJ is obviously the focus here, but an interesting guy in UFA is Noah Brown, former Cowboy. He came out of Ohio State a but raw but has developed i to a pretty good receiver. Brown broke out a bit after making the roster for a few years. He could help us, at least beating the Bengals:

Ā 

Ā 

Also here is a little clipĀ of Jarvis Landry with Henry:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Ā 

@HappyDaysĀ Parris Campbell stands out, in terms of both separation (top 5!) and contract value, as an UFA... Spotrac calculates an AAV of $2.5 million, and he's only 25... I mean, we can get that done; I give him 3 yrs, 7 million, 5 guaranteed... Git 'er done, Beane.

Ā 

I was looking at him as a cheap guy who just may be worth a look.Ā  He has been an IR Injury nightmare in his first 3 seasons.

He finally had a full season last year.Ā  With his history he should go for way less than $5M guaranteed and probably is only a 2 year signing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Ā 

I was looking at him as a cheap guy who just may be worth a look.Ā  He has been an IR Injury nightmare in his first 3 seasons.

He finally had a full season last year.Ā  With his history he should go for way less than $5M guaranteed and probably is only a 2 year signing.

Ā 

I didn't dig into his injury history, so thank you for pointing this out. I'm all for spending less, so if we could get him at that price, I'd be all in.

3 hours ago, Process said:

Signing OBJ is actually a very typical Beane move and wouldn't show he's learned anything. IMO. An aging vet past his prime coming off two acls who will get more money than he's worth. More patch work. Exactly what we don't need.

Ā 

Spend a minimum of our first three draft picks on offense, including a WR. Than I'll be confident Beane is willing to change his ways.

Ā 

Or sign OBJ and draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.