Who's our slot WR in 2023, Shakir or...?

Nephilim17

Lots of talk about needing to give Josh more weapons. I think most agree the other outside WR needs to be upgraded as a priority.

But who's playing slot? My gut says we don't have the money or draft capital to spend on a premium free agent or college prospect. But maybe Shakir is the answer.

190 lb. and six feet tall. Good size compared with some other slot guys like McKenzie (5'8", 173 lb.) or Beasley (5'8", 174 lb.). And no, I don't think 48-year-old Beasley should start for us.

What I like about Shakir: good attitude and focus (from the little I've seen of interviews and yes, this is very subjective); history of lining up in the slot and outside so he's versatile; cost controlled for years; fairly good speed; good hands and YAC.

Yes, he doesn't have a lot of experience at the NFL level but given our lack of cap space and our more pressing, arguably, draft needs (WR2, O-line in multiple spots, LB, safety, edge, maybe LB) I don't think we're spending a pick in the top five rounds on a slot WR. But maybe I'm wrong.

I don't trust McKenzie's history, hands, or focus. And I suspect Josh and management don't either.

Tell me why the slot starting job belongs to Shakir, McKenzie, a free agent or a draft prospect...

I hope it’s Shakir, but if we scoop up someone better, great.  

Dirty is gadget wr5-6.  Had his chance and didn’t deliver like we needed him to.  

wouldn’t be shocked to see Beasley back and getting some reps if we move on from Dirty entirely.  

really hope for an upgrade @ WR2. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Hopefully Shakir. I wish we saw more of him this year so we could know if he's the guy. 

McKenzie should be cut. Zero reason to keep him when we could save $2M cap space. He offers nothing that can't easily be replaced. 

As a slot backup, I would be fine with cutting McKenzie and bringing back Crowder who got $2 million this year and might come cheaper a year later and after injury. Crowder is slightly older but has far more than three times the career yards that McKenzie has.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

I would be happy with Shakir and Beasley splitting time, maybe 60/40 in Shakirs favor. I'd be okay with Crowder too...but he's only had one complete season in the last five years. If it came down to choosing between Beasley and Crowder, I'd choose Beasley. Then, I would try to find another prospect in the draft, to eventually replace Beasley. I like McKenzie, but he has never really been able to seize his opportunity. I like the guy, but he was pretty disappointing this year. I'd be okay with moving on from him. All these guys should be relatively inexpensive.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hsker4life said:

In the limited time we saw Shakir, I was impressed. I don’t know what kept the coaches from playing him more though.

I know most have been disgruntled with the coaching staff. I'm not as down on them as many, but I have always been a little frustrated with their reluctance to work other players in to the lineup...especially on offense. To my view, Shakir, Cook, Hines and McKenzie were all under-utilized this year. Not to mention all of the guys they have had stashed on the PS over the last few years that never saw any real action. How nice would it have been to have Isaiah Hodgins down the stretch? As the season went on, it was so evident that they needed some new energy in the offense...but the coaches never seemed willing to try anything different.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Shakur hast to step up and win that role because we need to address other positions

We do...but solidifying the slot role is a pretty big priority, if we are going to be a passing team,

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

As a slot backup, I would be fine with cutting McKenzie and bringing back Crowder who got $2 million this year and might come cheaper a year later and after injury. Crowder is slightly older but has far more than three times the career yards that McKenzie has.

Yeah I've said this before but the two guys that had the best training camp as pass catchers were Crowder and Morris at TE/Hback.  Crowder was limited with that injury but when he was cleared to practice the dude looked like the #1 WR that he was in the past.   Honestly Morris with another year can be a huge weapon too if you notice he can fly and catch.

I think a lot of the concern about targets isn't that we need another guy, we just need our guys to be healthy and ready to go, and we need Dorsey to get real serious with Josh in the offseason and study the film which will help Josh look to other guys like Shakir, Cook (our only big play YAC guy who never gets thrown to for some reason) etc.  

We score an average of 30 points a game for 3 years now, and even though we sucked vs Cinci with a lame 10pt effort, I don't think the film will show it was from WR's not getting separation.   It's going to be trench players AGAIN being the weak link on both sides of the ball, and a rookie OC who probably was in over his head trying to live up to Daboll's gamecalling success.   

• Like (+1) 2

Honestly, I hope McKenzie is gone. He has proven over and over again that he is not the guy. I don't want Shakir to lose a single snap to him.

Can't rely on Crowder because he is always hurt.

So for me it is Shakir and Beasley, or bring in a cheap upgrade.

If they are going to spend money or significant draft capital, I'd rather it be for the #2 WR, not the slot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I wouldn't cut a guy who scored 5 tds for us this year, for a guy who's missed 21 games in the last 3 years. Crowder has missed at least 4 games 3 straight years.

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I wouldn't cut a guy who scored 5 tds for us this year, for a guy who's missed 21 games in the last 3 years. Crowder has missed at least 4 games 3 straight years.

I was big on Crowder before the season, but that is because I saw his tape while he was with the Jets he couldn’t make it through the season healthy

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Dirty is gadget wr5-6.  Had his chance and didn’t deliver like we needed him to.  

wouldn’t be shocked to see Beasley back and getting some reps if we move on from Dirty entirely.  

Might Crowder return?  He has shown that he can play and be productive- injury derailed last season.  He has played a number of seasons, but think he is younger than Beasley.

I would love to see the Bills draft Josh Downs from UNC (5' 10") for our slot receiver.  Catches everything thrown his way.  He has an amazing 72% catch rate on contested catches.  He was also a track star in high school (third in state for triple and long jump) and he has a 42" vertical leap.

8 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

In the limited time we saw Shakir, I was impressed. I don’t know what kept the coaches from playing him more though.

McDermott dose that too rookies, it doesn’t matter how good or bad you are. He has a blind loyalty to the veterans, and his thinking is if I play them over the rookies more will want to come to Buffalo, because they will start no matter how terrible they are. Or they can’t develop players… might be some truth to that too. 

• Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Crowder in the slot.  Shakir as the deep threat.  And if we improve the O line then Davis should have more time to get open and be a true #2.

Gabe was open enough, he just proved he’s incapable of making a contested catch. I hope the Bills draft a 1b WR and push Gabe down the lineup where he was much better last season. They can then use Shakir and whomever else as the slot. Get someone dangerous to compliment Diggs and it makes it harder to cover everyone else down the roster. 

8 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

He played a fair amount. For a 5th round rookie to get almost a third of the offensive snaps is not insignificant. He struggled separating which limited his targets, especially early in the year. He did improve a little in that regard down the stretch. 

5 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Might Crowder return?  He has shown that he can play and be productive- injury derailed last season.  He has played a number of seasons, but think he is younger than Beasley.

I wouldn’t waste my time with him.  There’s a good chance he’ll get hurt again.  It’s what he does.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd love to sign Greg Dortch but don't think he's available as an UFA. Richie James could be a low cost guy that could contribute as he had a career year with Daboll and the Giants last year. Though we need size at WR so we could take someone in the first 3 Rounds that might be able to fill the role. 

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I wouldn’t waste my time with him.  There’s a good chance he’ll get hurt again.  It’s what he does.

Probably true, that is his track record.  I would not spend a lot for a middling FA WR on the open market.  If they have any FA $, try for decent IOL to compete with what I hope are 2 draft choices on the OL.  Hope for 2 OL in first 4 rounds, if value lines up.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, transient said:

Gabe was open enough, he just proved he’s incapable of making a contested catch. I hope the Bills draft a 1b WR and push Gabe down the lineup where he was much better last season. They can then use Shakir and whomever else as the slot. Get someone dangerous to compliment Diggs and it makes it harder to cover everyone else down the roster. 

Not sure what happened to Davis but the touchdown catch he had against Minkah Fitzpatrick in week 5 was about as contested as you can get.

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If they could rework Hunter Renfrow's contract he'd be someone I'd be interested in trading for if they don't think Shakir is the answer.

If they don't think Shakir is the answer, then why did they bother drafting the guy? We can't continue to swing and miss on draft picks! Can't afford to "experiment" on draft picks, and also not play they guy. Is our scouting staff suspect, or is it Beane?

1 minute ago, I'm Spartacus said:

If they don't think Shakir is the answer, then why did they bother drafting the guy? We can't continue to swing and miss on draft picks! Can't afford to "experiment" on draft picks, and also not play they guy. Is our scouting staff suspect, or is it Beane?

That’s what the draft is…… I think you’re confused.  You draft a guy, thinking that they will be able to contribute.  Then it’s up to the coaches and the player to make that happen.  It often doesn’t work out that way.  It actually happens that way the majority of the time

Every draft pick is an experiment 

I feel Bease would be our best bet not only in that he would be cheap but he is all about the team & he & Josh have a chemistry together then you add the fact that he would be a great mentor for Shakir & could pass on all that he has learned as far as getting separation .

You say you don't want him back because he is getting older not no dam 48 yrs old though that's just foolish but i'll bet 2 years ago when he was making some of those 98 receptions to most generally move the chains you were his biggest fan but i can only imagine what has changed your opinion of him .

Yes the Bills are need of some talented FA's that don't cost much due to the cap that can still perform at a high level & 1 IMHO is Bease because he knows the offense & will be that cheaper option with experience to pass on to who ever they may grab in this years draft .

• Vomit 1

9 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Stop.  He was a 5th round pick…

I think Shakir will win the job but he could get pressed into use on the outside if Diggs or Davis miss any games.  I also believe that both Cook and Hines have the ability to play out of the slot, if needed.  Their flexibility can be used to create match up problems for defenses.  I don't think the Bills used them effectively last season.

I don't think McKenzie, Crowder or Beasley are the answers either.  We may also see a steady parade of UDFA receivers during training camp as they look for a guy they can develop.

Let's not forget that improving the o-line and run game will also improve the passing game.  Play action passing gives a big edge to receivers.

54 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Not sure what happened to Davis but the touchdown catch he had against Minkah Fitzpatrick in week 5 was about as contested as you can get.

Incapable may have been too strongly worded. He doesn’t make them reliably enough, though. If he was 50/50 on 50/50 balls he should have caught the Bills offense looks a lot different down the stretch. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think the time has come to depart ways with Dirty. IMHO he failed as a slot WR. He is miserable with contested throws. Shakir showed flashes of hands, routes, and surprisingly with YAC. We can hope he fits the bill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Michael Thomas, 1 year, prove it deal.  Covers everything we need if healthy.  Big body WR, check.  Sure hands, check. Experience, check. Works the middle, Check.  Legit 1A to Steph, check.   That’s your solution, just gotta make it happen.  

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.