Who's our slot WR in 2023, Shakir or...?

Nephilim17

3 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

If they don't think Shakir is the answer, then why did they bother drafting the guy? We can't continue to swing and miss on draft picks! Can't afford to "experiment" on draft picks, and also not play they guy. Is our scouting staff suspect, or is it Beane?

Fifth round pick for a reason.

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hope it’s Shakir, but if we scoop up someone better, great.  

Dirty is gadget wr5-6.  Had his chance and didn’t deliver like we needed him to.  

wouldn’t be shocked to see Beasley back and getting some reps if we move on from Dirty entirely.  

really hope for an upgrade @ WR2. 

Agree with everything here. The slot is very mental, hopefully Beasley can mentor Shakir (who showed promise). I'd be okay with Beasley starting the season with Shakir transitioning as the season moves forward. Like you said, we need a real WR2. Hopefully a playmaker type. Gabe is a great 3 or 4. I don't see a role for dirty anymore.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Thank you, that was my point. We can't afford to miss on our draft picks, especially this one coming up (regardless of position).

I agree that we need Beane to be good this year.  But, realistically, every GM misses on some draft picks.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Agree with everything here. The slot is very mental, hopefully Beasley can mentor Shakir (who showed promise). I'd be okay with Beasley starting the season with Shakir transitioning as the season moves forward. Like you said, we need a real WR2. Hopefully a playmaker type. Gabe is a great 3 or 4. I don't see a role for dirty anymore.

I'd have no problem Cole mentoring Shakir for a season as long as Shakir's targets gradually increase.  I think Smoke, Crowder and McKenzie are all gone. Make Gabe your WR4 for his last 2 years. Then draft 2 WR's this season and 2 next season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Thank you, that was my point. We can't afford to miss on our draft picks, especially this one coming up (regardless of position).

Still, unreasonable to expect every draft pick to be good.  You can think it is an egregious miss if a 5th round pick doesn’t become a starter, but that isn’t realistic to expect.

• Agree 1

I just wish we would regularly play the guys we thought so highly of that we drafted them…, Elam, Shakir cough cough…, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the loss of a young and healthy Beasley is what poisoned Josh Allen last year. He missed having that smart trusty receiver that can get open underneath and find soft spots in zone coverage.

I’m not saying that Shakir is not the guy nor am I saying that Crowder is either, but Buffalo sorely needs competition at slot receiver. I wish we had a time machine and we could bring back Cole Beasley in his prime because that’s exactly what Allen needs.

Edited by Victory Formation
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I think the loss of a young and healthy Beasley is what poisoned Josh Allen last year. He missed having that smart trusty receiver that can get open underneath and find soft spots in zone coverage.

I’m not saying that Shakir is not the guy nor am I saying that Crowder is either, but Buffalo sorely needs competition at slot receiver. I wish we had a time machine and we could bring back Cole Beasley in his prime because that’s exactly what Allen needs.

There are some really nice options for the slot in the draft, hoping we can go OL round 1 and slot round 2 (or outside Wr).  We have to not reach to achieve that.  Better OL = more time for wr to get open and defense has to pay attention to run as well.

• Like (+1) 1

I saw an article talking about Adam Thielen being a possible/likely cap casualty. That guy would make a ton of sense here as a big slot type and he would be a terrific fit with Josh. He’s big with great hands and his route running is amazing. He becomes your number two and he and Diggs can push inside in different situation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I saw an article talking about Adam Thielen being a possible/likely cap casualty. That guy would make a ton of sense here as a big slot type and he would be a terrific fit with Josh. He’s big with great hands and his route running is amazing. He becomes your number two and he and Diggs can push inside in different situation. 

You may be right.  But he's 32 (a year younger than Beas) and his yardage production has declined the three past consecutive years.   

And I wonder how much he'd want?

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd have no problem Cole mentoring Shakir for a season as long as Shakir's targets gradually increase.  I think Smoke, Crowder and McKenzie are all gone. Make Gabe your WR4 for his last 2 years. Then draft 2 WR's this season and 2 next season.

I don’t see the Bills drafting a WR early. I fully expect a defensive pick. And as much as is sucks to write it, they actually need help there too, especially if they lose Poyer and/or Edmunds. That would leave serious holes at all three levels.

Edited by vincec

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.