Who's our slot WR in 2023, Shakir or...?

Nephilim17

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Michael Thomas, 1 year, prove it deal.  Covers everything we need if healthy.  Big body WR, check.  Sure hands, check. Experience, check. Works the middle, Check.  Legit 1A to Steph, check.   That’s your solution, just gotta make it happen.  

Been in NOLA for 6 years. Have had Saints seasons for the last 2. Please keep this headcase away from our WR room!

Just now, transient said:

Been in NOLA for 6 years. Have had Saints seasons for the last 2. Please keep this headcase away from our WR room!

That’s why it’s a one year deal, he’s looked like he doesn’t want to be there anymore, hoping the change of scenery will do him good.

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

That’s why it’s a one year deal, he’s looked like he doesn’t want to be there anymore, hoping the change of scenery will do him good.

Not even for a year, IMO. He's Sammy Watkins and the foot issue all over again... though I don't think he believes he's a lizard alien.

I like Shakir a lot and think he will get better with more reps.

I also would like them to sign Scotty Miller as competition. There is something more there. Lots of deep speed and short area quickness and has made some very big plays in the past. His production fell off as he was pushed down the depth chart, but he could be a cheaper, younger version of Zay McKenzie who can also make some plays down the field. RAS doesn't like their size, but Miller's numbers are comparable and will be cheap. 

I do not want them to draft a slot receiver. 

download (5).jpg

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Lots of talk about needing to give Josh more weapons. I think most agree the other outside WR needs to be upgraded as a priority.

But who's playing slot? My gut says we don't have the money or draft capital to spend on a premium free agent or college prospect. But maybe Shakir is the answer.

190 lb. and six feet tall. Good size compared with some other slot guys like McKenzie (5'8", 173 lb.) or Beasley (5'8", 174 lb.). And no, I don't think 48-year-old Beasley should start for us.

What I like about Shakir: good attitude and focus (from the little I've seen of interviews and yes, this is very subjective); history of lining up in the slot and outside so he's versatile; cost controlled for years; fairly good speed; good hands and YAC.

Yes, he doesn't have a lot of experience at the NFL level but given our lack of cap space and our more pressing, arguably, draft needs (WR2, O-line in multiple spots, LB, safety, edge, maybe LB) I don't think we're spending a pick in the top five rounds on a slot WR. But maybe I'm wrong.

I don't trust McKenzie's history, hands, or focus. And I suspect Josh and management don't either.

Tell me why the slot starting job belongs to Shakir, McKenzie, a free agent or a draft prospect...

I don't think this is a question.  It's clearly intended to be Shakir.  That is what they drafted him for, to be the slot guy moving forward.  It is his job to lose.

We had Diggs and Davis, then everyone else were slot guys.  Yet stupid Dorsey tried to be an air out and push the ball downfield offense despite having like a dozen slot WR's on this team lol.  

That will not be the case this year, they will add another outside WR and thin the slot position.  Shakir and likely McKenzie (since he is under contract one more year and cheap) will battle it out for the starting role, it will go to Shakir with McKenzie back to what he does best, a gadget player used in specific packages and scenarios.  It's not out of the question they ditch McKenzie via trade/cut and maybe bring Crowder back to battle it out with Shakir.  But I think it's still more likely to be McKenzie given Crowders unreliable injury history combined with how much the team loves McKenzie and being under contract one more year.

• Agree 1

Because of Beasley I think people just have this impression that you can plug in a good undersized, quick receiver in the slot and be fine.

I would say that we should look at the position as the replacement of what the RB was for the offense in the 1990's.

In regards to 3rd downs.........it literally is.......the 3rd down back was essentially replaced by slot receivers.

And as Cooper Kupp proved.......if your best receiver is there that's not a bad thing.

That's why I say put Diggs there...........or sign Michael Thomas if he takes a reasonable prove-it deal.

The Beasley-lite approach they used last season was a major fail.

I like Shakir but I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket...........he looked like more of a "tweener" inside/out guy than a guy with true slot skills, IMO.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Because of Beasley I think people just have this impression that you can plug in a good undersized, quick receiver in the slot and be fine.

I would say that we should look at the position as the replacement of what the RB was for the offense in the 1990's.

In regards to 3rd downs.........it literally is.......the 3rd down back was essentially replaced by slot receivers.

And as Cooper Kupp proved.......if your best receiver is there that's not a bad thing.

That's why I say put Diggs there...........or sign Michael Thomas if he takes a reasonable prove-it deal.

The Beasley-lite approach they used last season was a major fail.

I like Shakir but I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket...........he looked like more of a "tweener" inside/out guy than a guy with true slot skills, IMO.

I like your overall philosophy, and I like Diggs there when we need 3-5 yards and if Dorsey would actually call a quick slant (to be determined).

But not sure how much Diggs should be there regularly.

13 hours ago, Process said:

Hopefully Shakir. I wish we saw more of him this year so we could know if he's the guy. 

McKenzie should be cut. Zero reason to keep him when we could save $2M cap space. He offers nothing that can't easily be replaced. 

Maybe the weekly dance performances will go with him (and get Dawkins to refocus).

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like your overall philosophy, and I like Diggs there when we need 3-5 yards and if Dorsey would actually call a quick slant (to be determined).

But not sure how much Diggs should be there regularly.

Why not, though?

Get Diggs open quick........get the ball out of Allen's hand a lot quicker.........solves a lot of the Bills offensive problems.

They still have to add another receiver.........but I could see Diggs having an 1800 yard season and 15 TD's from the slot.........maybe the slot work takes a year off the back end of his career but it gives him a potential HOF-chance-boosting season...........and more importantly maybe it tacks a year or two onto Allen's career.

Ideally the receiver you add can play both slot and outside as well..........I don't know if they can reach a SB without a good second WR........it seems to be a defining characteristic of SB winning teams in recent years. 

17 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

and Stevie Johnson was a 7th Round pick, Andre Reed was a 4th Rounder. 

For sure.  I think Diggs was a 5th round pick, too.  That doesn’t mean that it is a major failure of an organization to not hit on a 5th round pick.  

Edited by OldTimer1960

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.