Who's our slot WR in 2023, Shakir or...?

Nephilim17

I think Jarvis Landry is a real possibility in the slot. He is a good blocker and reliable slot target. He has a connection to our WR coach and there were rumors bills were interested last year. Can likely be had for 2.5 million a year and would be a good addition to go with shakir. Also need to draft a WR early

1 minute ago, khlax3 said:

I think Jarvis Landry is a real possibility in the slot. He is a good blocker and reliable slot target. He has a connection to our WR coach and there were rumors bills were interested last year. Can likely be had for 2.5 million a year and would be a good addition to go with shakir. Also need to draft a WR early

I agree, I think him and Woods are very likely the 2 most realistic options. 

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Neither McKenzie, Shakir, or Hodgins are on Hardman’s level. If Bills want him they absolutely can find a way to pay him. There has been countless, realistic examples of how Buffalo can open 20-30m in cap space. 

If they could get him for what his contract WAS it would be a good get but if he is expecting for a team to back up the brinks truck the Bills probably won't get him, Beane will kick the tires because that's what he does & if there is a way he could find it but i'm not a betting man .

Just now, T master said:

If they could get him for what his contract WAS it would be a good get but if he is expecting for a team to back up the brinks truck the Bills probably won't get him, Beane will kick the tires because that's what he does & if there is a way he could find it but i'm not a betting man .

Same, I think Woods, Landry, and Campbell are most realistic since someone will pay for Hardmans potential and big play ability. 

• Agree 1

I like some of you who say a guy like Parris Campbell.  I can see that.  I don't see any big $ guys signed in FA at all.

McKenzie will go to camp.  If he falls down the depth chart he gets cut in September.  Beane will need some cash for the PS and season.

I see the same with a guy like Siran Neal.

Beane probably will be looking for a guy like Campbell in FA for the outside depth too.  He then can have some flexibility as to who and

what round to draft 1 WR.

It's in Josh Allen's DNA to want to hold on to the ball a little longer than a lot of QBs in the league.  It's why I want a good amount of help

on the OL.  With a little more time Josh can tear up any D even with "less than stellar" WRs.  IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I like some of you who say a guy like Parris Campbell.  I can see that.  I don't see any big $ guys signed in FA at all.

McKenzie will go to camp.  If he falls down the depth chart he gets cut in September.  Beane will need some cash for the PS and season.

I see the same with a guy like Siran Neal.

Beane probably will be looking for a guy like Campbell in FA for the outside depth too.  He then can have some flexibility as to who and

what round to draft 1 WR.

It's in Josh Allen's DNA to want to hold on to the ball a little longer than a lot of QBs in the league.  It's why I want a good amount of help

on the OL.  With a little more time Josh can tear up any D even with "less than stellar" WRs.  IMO.

I agree on Mckenzie - if you need that money to sign another WR so be it.  But you need extra guys in camp anyway.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We have been under-sold on Shakir because of the coaching staff philosophy regarding rookies.

He should start - and he'll be perfect.  Every time he was able to get playing time, he showed what he can do. He has an electric skillset and will be a playmaker for us.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I honestly would be completely fine with the Bills spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a slot WR. The slot play last year was just as bad if not worse than WR2 and I think banking on Shakir to make the leap would be foolish. Having someone who could consistently win over the middle and in the flats would bring a lot more balance to the passing game.

22 hours ago, khlax3 said:

Sign me up for Landry. Many fans may not like him because of Williams.....but the guy plays with a physical edge, catches well and blocks very well.

This offense DESPERATELY NEEDS to add physicality 

On 3/8/2023 at 4:59 PM, BuffaloRebound said:

How about Gesicki as our slot guy?  Could see him catching 80+ passes in this offense and would be a matchup problem in the red zone.  

Interesting. Would be very surprised if the Bills even considered it....but I like the idea

On 3/8/2023 at 2:44 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I feel like we should be talking about Mecole Hardman more. Blazing (4.33) speed, very good catch percentage and rarely drops passes. Insane upgrade in the slot.

Trade McKenzie for a late pick and sign Hardman.  Good with me 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

I don't think Shakir demonstrated the nuance for the slot yet.  You've got to read defenses, feel the zones, make sharp cuts, and make sure you're in the QB's line of sight/throwing window the entire time.  It's not easy and he didn't really show improvement as the year progressed.  There is a reason they dusted off Beasley.  We need a better solution

14 hours ago, gobills404 said:

I honestly would be completely fine with the Bills spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a slot WR. The slot play last year was just as bad if not worse than WR2 and I think banking on Shakir to make the leap would be foolish. Having someone who could consistently win over the middle and in the flats would bring a lot more balance to the passing game.

Agree. There are some nice options in the draft like Flowers and Josh Downs that will probably be there in the 2nd

On 2/7/2023 at 12:10 PM, I'm Spartacus said:

I'm not too sure Bill Polian would have that same mind set. Draft picks are precious commodities.

Go look up success rate for 5th round picks.  It isn’t high if the standard is “becomes decent starter”.  Certainly, there are exceptions to that, but if you get a decent starter in round 5, you did well.

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Go look up success rate for 5th round picks.  It isn’t high if the standard is “becomes decent starter”.  Certainly, there are exceptions to that, but if you get a decent starter in round 5, you did well.

Are you still on the Shakir in round 5 thing? Many draft pundits said we got a steal with him at 5. Draftniks pegged him at round 4, even 3. Bottom line, Bills should have played him much more to see if we has that diamond in the rough.

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Are you still on the Shakir in round 5 thing? Many draft pundits said we got a steal with him at 5. Draftniks pegged him at round 4, even 3. Bottom line, Bills should have played him much more to see if we has that diamond in the rough.

I’m simply responding to your post from 3 hours ago that Bill Polian would expect most 5th rounders to be good starters.  

I am hoping that Shakir can fill the slot role well, but hoping is different than planning on it.

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

How much do you think he played?

7 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Jordan Poyer..5th round pick..pro bowl

Micah Hyde...7th round pick..pro bowl

(Both not by Bills)

Good scouting and coaching can do the trick.

Dude, yes there are exceptions, but that doesn’t mean that most 5th round picks turn out that way.

• Like (+1) 1

Same exact story as last offseason...yhey should be looking to add speed/quickness and/or a contested catch jump ball athlete for outside.

I'd rather get two quick/speed guys, and release McKenzie.  

If you go back and watch the games from either past 2 seasons, this team had a tendency to struggle against press man/aggressive blitzing teams.  

We need more players that can win 1-1 routes, quickly and consistently.  Right now that's only Diggs.  

Banking on Shakir in the slot is a gamble.  He's not overly quick/explosive, and lacks some of that "feel" that goes into playing that spot.  He's the ideal #4 WR, can backup inside and outside.

I'd be surprised if Shakir doesn't take advantage of this opportunity. With Hines taking over and doing a great job as the returner, McKenzie doesn't even have that to protect his job.

I believe Beasley is still under contract and he should return in a backup role, maybe 66% Shakir, 33% Beasley, to keep him healthy for the playoffs. Crowder I'd only bring back at vet minimum and use him sparingly if so. He's unfortunately made of glass.

Then again, Von said OBJ would be a Bill ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.