We don’t Need a WR

Rebel101

I don't mean to be disrespectful here. But this is like saying, "We don't need better defensive personnel. We just need to run the 2000 Ravens defense or the 85 Bears defense."

While i agree we need to incorporate a short and intermediate passing game, we don't have the receivers for that.

5 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

We need an OC who schemes plays where not all the QBs targets are 20 yards down field on 3rd n short. Our receivers are getting separation. The passes have been off, or it’s been a low % pass schemed at the worst time. This team all year hasn’t taken what the defense has gave them and continuously just tried for the big play. Dorsey and Allen=Erratic 

facepalm-dismay.gif

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

BC WR Zay Flowers please...stick him in the slot and let's go.

Cheetah Lite...

It would be ridiculously irresponsible if they didn't use their first two picks in rounds 1 & 2 on OL-men.  

Would love to see them grab the best OT available in round 1, and if he's still there, Patterson (C) in round 2.  

Beane has already been irresponsible and all but entirely ignored the OL on his watch.  It would be one thing if our D was laden with impact players where he did draft, but that's not the case.  If they don't start protecting Allen, then IMO Beane should be fired immediately after the Draft.  Let someone that knows what they're doing come in and clean up his mess and conduct the balance of free agency, which is going to be difficult enough as it is.  

Allen's gonna end up getting hammered and injured, and then we'll be back to another "twenty years."  

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It would be ridiculously irresponsible if they didn't use their first two picks in rounds 1 & 2 on OL-men.  

Would love to see them grab the best OT available in round 1, and if he's still there, Patterson (C) in round 2.  

Beane has already been irresponsible and all but entirely ignored the OL on his watch.  It would be one thing if our D was laden with impact players where he did draft, but that's not the case.  If they don't start protecting Allen, then IMO Beane should be fired immediately after the Draft.  Let someone that knows what they're doing come in and clean up his mess and conduct the balance of free agency, which is going to be difficult enough as it is.  

Allen's gonna end up getting hammered and injured, and then we'll be back to another "twenty years."  

No it wouldn't. Plenty of teams have good players there in the mid rounds

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No it wouldn't. Plenty of teams have good players there in the mid rounds

Based upon what you've seen outta Beane, what gives you even a remote hope that he's capable of drafting good OL-men in the mid-rounds, much less on days 1 or 2?  

I mean name all of the successful mid-round picks of players that ended up being impact starters and not merely replacement starters or starters due to unfilled needs at their positions?  

Let's assume that the "mid-rounds" are rounds 3-5.  

How can anyone say we don’t need a WR? You don’t want to go into the season with Davis and McKenzie after the way they performed this year, they put a lot of faith in them last year and they underperformed. Because of that you can’t rely on Shakir to take a step forward next season. They need to try to upgrade. If those 3 come back improved that is great, just gives us more to work with. But we can’t put too much faith in them after what we just seen. 

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

They definitely need a WR2.

Gabe is good as your 3rd/4th option, but he’s not a 2.

Before the season I was a big Gabe Davis hype man, I thought he was gonna be big this year. In my opinion his stats show a better year than he really had, I think he was pretty disappointing, even excluding his drops. He doesn't run great routes, for a big boy he doesn't big boy or high point well and I think he didn't have great effort especially in cold weather games.

If you watch the all 22, there's alot of plays Gabe doesn't work back across the feild for josh especially cold weather games like chicago, there's plays you see josh scrambling and if Gabe is across feild he gives up and stands there. And I know this is extremely common in the nfl, but not if you have josh allen or mahomes. They can do ridiculous things with their arms. Tyreek and kelce are masters at working back across feild to bail out mahomes. We see it 100 times from mahomes he bails, play breaks down, mahomes whips it side arm to kelce coming back across feild. It's really disheartening to see josh run for his life and see Gabe across feild just standing there. I'm not saying it's every single play but I see it alot and it sucks.

No question we need a #2 or the very minimum a reliable slot for josh.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

They definitely need a WR2.

Gabe is good as your 3rd/4th option, but he’s not a 2.

Thank you. It's obvious to everyone. We need a Waddle/ Chase type to compliment Stefon.  Gabe is really a natural WR3 and Shakir would slide into WR4 permanently. But not having a true #2 puts way too much pressure on Diggs & Josh. And on top of everything these incessant deep throws need to be reduced. Never thought I'd ever say that with hand canon as the qb.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I know, just impatient. To bad he is slower than his dad, because he sure can run the entire route tree. 

He’s slower than his dad but much bigger

Ohio State lists him at 6’4… I saw him play a few times and I’d say 6’3… but great size 

He’s AJ Green comp

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He’s slower than his dad but much bigger

Ohio State lists him at 6’4… I saw him play a few times and I’d say 6’3… but great size 

He’s AJ Green comp

Right now I’m banging the drums for Hyatt and Rice. I would love to double dip back to back. Both great WRs with sub 4.4 speed. 

Considering the Bills cap situation. I highly doubt they’ll be able to acquire a marquee player to fill the #2 role. The Bills priority should be focused on the offensive line. Diggs is approaching 30. So they def need a WR at some point down the road, but I don’t think the time is now. Bills were still one of the top offenses in the league. We need to be creative on offense and scheme better. Daboll had no problems putting up points with the weapons we have now. 

Build the offense line, develop a damn running game and the passing game will open up.

Edited by BillMafia716ix
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Let’s take a look at the stats between the current playoff teams and the Bills

Philly:

AJ Brown - 11.                   1,496 yds

Devonta Smith - 7.            1,196 yds

Dallas Goedert (TE) - 3.    702 yds

Quez Watkins - 3.              354 yds

Totals: 24 TDs.                   3,748 yds

Cincy:

Ja’mar Chase - 9.    1,046 yds (12 games)

Tee Higgins - 7.        1,029 yds

Tyler Boyd - 5.          762 yds

Joe Mixon (RB) - 2.  441 yds

Totals: 23 TDs.         3,278 yds

**Hayden Hurst (TE) - very similar stat-wise this regular season to Mixon, in yards and receiving TDs- 414 yds, 2td.

SanFran:

Deebo Samuel - 2.  (13 games)     632 yds 

George Kittle (TE) - 11.                   765 yds

Brandon Aiyuk - 8.                        1,015 yds

CMC (RB) - 4.   (11 games).           464 yds

Totals: 25 TDs.                                  2,876 yds           

Kansas City

Travis Kelce (TE) - 12.                1,338 yds

Juju Smith-Schuster - 3.              933 yds

Marquez Valdez-Scantling - 2.     687 yds

Jerrick McKinnon - 9.                    512 yds 

Totals: 26 TDs                                 3,470 yds

how about us?

Buffalo

Stefon Diggs - 11.         1,429 yds

Gabe Davis - 7.                836 yds

Dawson Knox (TE) - 6.    517 yds

Isaiah McKenzie - 4.        423 yds

Totals: 28 TDs.               3,205 yds

Statistically, our guys can put points on the board, but we only beat a run-first team on their 3rd QB from the playoff teams in yards. Our stats are impressive considering I would say we have the worst line of the 5 teams compared here.

Addressing the O-line has to be priority #1, but look at a team like Cincy- they have 2 1,000 yard receivers, and Chase would be much higher if he didn’t go down for 5 weeks. In his absence Higgins and Boyd did an admirable job filling in. Imagine if Stef missed any time… we would be absolutely screwed without high-caliber depth.

Gabe statistically lines up between a 2 and a 3, and while I think he is capable of becoming a 2 he isn’t there yet. Knox had a lot to overcome the first half of the year and got much better after week 10. McKenzie has the ability to make big plays but I don’t think was schemed appropriately. That being said, there’s no way if Diggs ever got hurt we could fully rely on him to become WR2 and put up comparable stats.

We need to address WR2. Every year we need to draft one (not always at the top of the draft, mind you). We need guys who are versatile and can fill in when the poo hits the fan, otherwise we would just be Green Bay this year. Again, I agree O-line and better scheming will help, but we need a true WR2, and we need to get younger.

This is enlightening. Avg the 3rd best guy on each of the other teams gets you just under 700 yards (and Deebo only played 13 games so avg likely 725+). See Gabe’s 836 but recall 98 came on 1 play. He may avg 750 going forward with 0 improvement.

This is strong evidence he’s a solid #3 receiver despite being targeted as much as a 2. 

I realize the 98 yarder happened so I shouldn’t omit, but it’s also a rare play so not likely to happen every year to boost his stats—an outlier.

If we ever lost Diggs for any amount of time, we would be in major trouble. This fact alone is concerning. We need a 1B. Not a 2, because we have to be able to beat the Bengals. We need another star WR opposite of Diggs that can do damage. Let Gabe be the #3 and roll with it. 

Diggs

Hyatt/Rice

Davis

Shakir

Knox

Is a very dangerous team. Then focus on the oline to keep Allen protected. 

Diggs, Davis, Shakir, and McKenzie all under contract are a solid foundation. But given Diggs’s age, Davis’s inconsistency, and McKenzie’s regression - still need to add another weapon (Davis and McKenzie are UFAs in 2024).

Top three draft picks need to be WR, OT, and IOL in any order based on value.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills/Bengals game was on NFL Network yesterday. I watched just a few minutes. The Bills are driving for the score that would’ve changed the game going into halftime. Singletary is wide open on the check down over the middle for the first down that gets them into field goal range and Josh throws it over his head by five feet. Two plays later McD punts from their side of the 50 with a minute left in the half and everyone in the country knows it’s over. 

An offense that only works when the QB is perfect has problems. Every credible observer in the world knows Allen is one of best 3 QBs in the NFL. Allen’s production is in the top 3 by any measure.  Anyone who seriously thinks the improvement on offense includes upping Allen’s production falls into the not credible category.  

Edited by Chaos

20 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

The fact they felt the need to pull Beas and Smoke out of retirement because the guys not named Diggs were underperforming certainly screams we need more talent there.

Not to say Dorsey's play design and play calling don't leave a lot to be desired, but a true WR2 we most certainly need.

dude, it really is just that simple.

imagine any other qb driven team, who was the top dog to win the super bowl, having to pull two guys off the street who used to play for them to fill every passing target south of their #1?!?!

we lack talent on OL and WR in a huge way, and need fewer 1st and 2nd round picks on the bench in a platooned DL and highly paid older dbs, and more actual guys who score

Like it or not, Josh not taking the short  open pass option to move the chains is the root problem behind his interceptions, and not winning in the tough post season games, well that, and a defensive coordinator that really needs to retire, he is old enough to collect social security…, 

More than one thing can be true.

Gabe Davis had a chance to grab ahold of the #2 spot, and literally watched it slip through his hands.  He's a solid NFL receiver.  But we need someone more consistent opposite Stefon Diggs.  That person is probably not John Brown anymore.

Isaiah McKenzie got the chance to be more than a gadget guy, and was not reliable enough to handle the slot.  We could have replaced him with Jamison Crowder, but he got hurt and is already a free agent.  Cole Beasley showed flashes, but I'm not sure he can handle an entire season anymore.  You can see potential in Khalil Shakir, but I think we just saw the risk of counting on an inexperienced player to fill a big starting role.

Ken Dorsey and Brandon Beane need to sit-down for several meetings, and figure out the identity of this offense moving forward.  Our front office acquired a bunch of short-range options (Crowder, OJ Howard, James Cook, Shakir, Nyheim Hines, Beasley) and then watched the Offensive Coordinator design everything to attack downfield.  Either we need to adjust the scheme to take advantage of these players, or we need to obtain weapons that fit a downfield attack.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Considering the Bills cap situation. I highly doubt they’ll be able to acquire a marquee player to fill the #2 role. The Bills priority should be focused on the offensive line. Diggs is approaching 30. So they def need a WR at some point down the road, but I don’t think the time is now. Bills were still one of the top offenses in the league. We need to be creative on offense and scheme better. Daboll had no problems putting up points with the weapons we have now. 

Build the offense line, develop a damn running game and the passing game will open up.

I couldn't agree more. Imagine Josh with a tad more time when passing, the running game with more opened lanes... this same offense is a juggernaut. Oh, add effective schemes. Sorry, but Dorsey was so vanilla it was insane the offense worked as good as it did.

But to me, yeah, more effective play designs and 2 very good/great OLinemen added and the same team is unstoppable. Easier to do that than to say we need this, this, that, this. As if all these awesome players were just available and as if the Bills had the cap space to do it anyway. Not one single team has zero weaknesses! 

Edited by Jerome007

We definitely need a second "no. 1" weapon on offense, though we need more than that too.

These things are not mutually exclusive.

We can improve the OC, scheming, play design, play calling, and personnel, ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.