Chris Simms: Dolphins No. 1 Team to watch in Lamar Jackson Sweepstakes

Nextmanup

Agreed.  That would be tough to stop.  He may not be a great passer but the Miami WRs will be running wide open a fair amount if a defense has to focus on containing Lamar running and Hill/Waddle.

It’s a huge roll of the dice at this point though.  You just have to wonder if he can stay healthy after ending the last 2 seasons with injuries.

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Wouldn’t that require draft picks? I can’t imagine that the Ravens let him go without at least tagging him and getting 2 1sts. 

And then the Dolphins have to pay him. I just don’t see it. 

Good point.  

This will be merged with the other thread, but the Ravens are absolutely franchising Lamar if they can't work out a long-term deal that is reasonable.  That means draft picks +/- players which the Dols don't have, plus giving him a fully guaranteed contract which I don't think any team will do. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Wouldn’t that require draft picks? I can’t imagine that the Ravens let him go without at least tagging him and getting 2 1sts. 

And then the Dolphins have to pay him. I just don’t see it. 

Dolphins don’t even have a first round pick. 

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Please get Lamar and his bad knees and mortgage your future for him! Please do Miami! Jackson is a one trick pony and His knees been failing him the last 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Again I can't see anyone trading 1st rounders and giving a fully guaranteed contract to a guy who has missed the last 1/3 of the season 2 years in a row and wouldn't be available (or at least healthy) for the playoffs. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

Dolphins don’t even have a first round pick. 

This is my point. There’s no way this can happen. Especially in the Conference! 

Like all of these guys that think about the NFL “as a business”, he will end up playing for Houston because they’re the only team with picks and cap space. And then he will whither into obscurity. Thanks for playing Lamar, you went as far as those skinny legs would take you on a rookie deal. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He is a Floridian

He's from Pompano Beach, just a bit north of Ft. Lauderdale.

The guy grew up a short drive down I-95 to where the Dolphins play now!

It'd be a home town type experience for him.

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He is a Floridian

Still doesn't solve Miami's lack of a 1st rounder this year or his desire for a fully guaranteed contact.  Unless that's the only way he's stay in Baltimore and he'd be willing to take a standard contract from a team of his choosing.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Still doesn't solve Miami's lack of a 1st rounder this year or his desire for a fully guaranteed contact.  Unless that's the only way he's stay in Baltimore and he'd be willing to take a standard contract from a team of his choosing.

I wonder if his (alleged) demand for a fully guaranteed contract isn’t because of how the Ravens use him. He takes more of a beating there than he would in a more conventional offense with good receivers who can get open. 

You can put me down as someone who does not want to see another quality QB in the AFCE, especially on the Phins or Jest. Both are a QB away from being very competitive. 

Edited by BarleyNY

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

This will be merged with the other thread, but the Ravens are absolutely franchising Lamar if they can't work out a long-term deal that is reasonable.  That means draft picks +/- players which the Dols don't have, plus giving him a fully guaranteed contract which I don't think any team will do. 

Which means he is NOT being traded requiring picks. 

They may choose to use non-exclusive tag meaning no draft picks if someone signs but they get to match.  

The worry is a contract which is easily breakable and clause stating he cannot be tagged.

#8 may do that just become a free agent.

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I wonder if his (alleged) demand for a fully guaranteed contract isn’t because of how the Ravens use him. He takes more of a beating there than he would in a more conventional offense and with good receivers who can get open. 

He HAD good receivers but unable to perform and his friend Marquise "Hollywood" Brown went elsewhere to get better stats.

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I wonder if his (alleged) demand for a fully guaranteed contract isn’t because of how the Ravens use him. He takes more of a beating there than he would in a more conventional offense with good receivers who can get open. 

You can put me down as someone who does not want to see another quality QB in the AFCE, especially on the Phins or Jest. Both are a QB away from being very competitive. 

Miami doesn't have the draft capital and Lamar probably wouldn't want to play for the Jets or Cheaters.

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Which means he is NOT being traded requiring picks. 

They may choose to use non-exclusive tag meaning no draft picks if someone signs but they get to match.  

The worry is a contract which is easily breakable and clause stating he cannot be tagged.

#8 may do that just become a free agent.

The exclusive franchise tag means no team can negotiate with him.  Non-excuslive means 2-1st rounders if he signs with another team.  Transition tag is ROFR.  They will non-exclusive franchise tag him if they can't work out a deal.

6 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

Phins dont have the capital to get Lamar away from the Ravens.   they dont have the picks,  or the $$$$.  theyd have to move a bunch of really key players to snag him imo.

Any why wouldn't they move a bunch of key players to snag him? 

I'll breathe lightly when this guy signs somewhere outside our division....even if he gets zero respect at this forum!  Along with pretty much every other QB in the league not named Josh Allen.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Miami doesn't have the draft capital and Lamar probably wouldn't want to play for the Jets or Cheaters.

I’m not making a case for where he will or won’t end up. Just saying that I don’t want to see him or another FQB wind up in either place right now. As for fit, Miami’s offensive scheme and current roster are excellent. It would be difficult, but not impossible for Miami to acquire and pay him. Miami is spending large, but it’s not like they weren’t planning on having to pay a QB soon. And while losing this year’s first makes trading for him more difficult, how about this scenario?Ravens franchise tag him and he refuses to sign it. The draft is in April and he has until mid-July to sign a multi-year deal. That’s plenty of time for him to be traded for picks in 2024 and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Any why wouldn't they move a bunch of key players to snag him? 

I'll breathe lightly when this guy signs somewhere outside our division....even if he gets zero respect at this forum!  Along with pretty much every other QB in the league not named Josh Allen.

They would want a 1st rounder to try and get a new QB.

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m not making a case for where he will or won’t end up. Just saying that I don’t want to see him or another FQB wind up in either place right now. As for fit, Miami’s offensive scheme and current roster are excellent. It would be difficult, but not impossible for Miami to acquire and pay him. Miami is spending large, but it’s not like they weren’t planning on having to pay a QB soon. And while losing this year’s first makes trading for him more difficult, how about this scenario?Ravens franchise tag him and he refuses to sign it. The draft is in April and he has until mid-July to sign a multi-year deal. That’s plenty of time for him to be traded for picks in 2024 and beyond. 

I'm torn on whether I'd worry about him being on an AFCE team.  I think he's starting to show that he's injury-prone and his contract demands will hamstring a team.

48 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

When I see stuff like this, it is assuming that Tua is done & will be retiring.  That's really a stretch right now.  If 2 weeks from now Tua announces his retirement, this makes sense, but right now it's premature.  

It’s the dolphins so it very well might not make sense.  Which is why it makes sense.  🤔 

I don't think Miami is the AFCE team that makes a run at Lamar. I think it's the Jets. A healthy Breece Hall, Michael Carter, and Zonovan Knight at RB. A solid WR group with Wilson, Davis, Moore, Mims, and Berrios. A TE room with Uzomah and Conklin. A top 5 defense to go with it. Lamar in NY with the Jets makes too much sense. Johnson also already said that he is willing to pay whatever as he sees QB as the missing piece. I'm pretty confident this happens if the Ravens can't get him re-signed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Fins would have to give up waddle and two firsts likely. But would ravens trade him in afc? Doubt it. They send him to nfc. Crazy idea?  Lions trade Goff to ravens  for Lamar. Lions send their two first this year. 

A first in 2024 and 2025 doesn't sound as appealing and neither does removing a major weapon for Lamar.  And yes, I think they look to move him outside the AFC.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Roman’s offense is designed around his limitations.

Greg Roman’s offenses have always done well for RBs and poorly for QBs. Check this out. His offenses are consistently top 10 rushing and bottom 10 passing. And that’s everywhere he has ever been. 

8 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Sounds like a Rams move…. Trade for a QB, give all our picks away. Win a superbowl and be terrible for the next 5 years after. 

Rams went to two super bowls and won one, and so far have been bad for one year.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.