Steelers radio debates signing Tremaine Edmunds

Einstein

Tremaine does a lot for what our Defense asks from him. I don't get the hate for him on this board. He is probably due 13-15M/yr and I don't think we'd be better off at the position without him. We aren't drafting high and I dunno that we are going to be able to replace him through the draft or FA without spending about what he's going to sign for anyway.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 13
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Tremaine does a lot for what our Defense asks from him. I don't get the hate for him on this board. He is probably due 13-15M/yr and I don't think we'd be better off at the position without him. We aren't drafting high and I dunno that we are going to be able to replace him through the draft or FA without spending about what he's going to sign for anyway.

He’s getting way more than that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s getting way more than that. 

I've been a big critic of his but I must confess that I think he has taken a big step up this year.

That said, there is no way I would offer him much more than what we paid Milano. I would let him walk if he wants more than 12-13 mil per year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I've been a big critic of his but I must confess that I think he has taken a big step up this year.

That said, there is no way I would offer him much more than what we paid Milano. I would let him walk if he wants more than 12-13 mil per year.

Then consider him gone if that’s the case-  we’d be lucky to get him for 15M atm imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, gtw3 said:

That's the "100 million dollar" question.

Interesting ...because these Steelers guys think that Milano got paid " a ton of money" ... $10M a year...!

Milano in my opinion has left some money on the table with his deal with is "team friendly"..... probably at least $10M over the four years and likely more... 

At least he will be able to console himself that he did the " mafia" proud.... and in 4 years time when he retires , we will lift up our drinks and salute him for saving us some cap ... whilst we look ahead to the next draft...

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interesting ...because these Steelers guys think that Milano got paid " a ton of money" ... $10M a year...!

Milano in my opinion has left some money on the table with his deal with is "team friendly"..... probably at least $10M over the four years and likely more... 

At least he will be able to console himself that he did the " mafia" proud.... and in 4 years time when he retires , we will lift up our drinks and salute him for saving us some cap ... whilst we look ahead to the next draft...

At the point where Milano signed, he was just coming off a season in which he played 10 games and was on a pitch count, only starting 5

I think teams had legit concerns about his durability and it possibly cut his value some

If he’d been playing like he has this season, he’d have gotten paid a lot more

Those Steelers guys (from the bit I listened to) sound like the guys here who think we can trade Zach Moss and a 3rd rounder for CMC or something

I agree with these two Steeler guys. I’m not tying up big money in that position unless it’s Urlacher or Kuechly 2.0. I wouldn’t fear the Bills offense going against Edmunds either and wouldn’t care if he signed with another AFCE team.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

At the point where Milano signed, he was just coming off a season in which he played 10 games and was on a pitch count, only starting 5

I think teams had legit concerns about his durability and it possibly cut his value some

How would he know? He never even went to free agency...?

I recall he gave his agent instructions to "get it done" with the Bills

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

How would he know? He never even went to free agency...?

I recall he gave his agent instructions to "get it done" with the Bills

It’s pretty well known that the agents are chatting up various FO people and GMs in the weeks before the official “cheating period” starts.  So Milano likely had a very good idea who was interested, and overall what kind of contracts they had in mind.

• Agree 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

It’s pretty well known that the agents are chatting up various FO people and GMs in the weeks before the official “cheating period” starts.  So Milano likely had a very good idea who was interested, and overall what kind of contracts they had in mind.

'I love Buffalo, I want to be in Buffalo' | Matt Milano on his decision to stay with the Bills (buffalobills.com)

Milano didn't test the market because the team he fell in love with got to him first.

"I just told my agent, 'I love Buffalo. I want to be in Buffalo. I love what they got going on there and see if we can make something happen,'" Milano said to media over Zoom. "I think that's what we did. It was a fair deal kind of for both sides.

"The culture that's brewing there right now is unreal. We got a little taste of it last year and the past four years. It's something that I want to continue on for the next four years."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Question:  Anyone know what it costs to franchise a LB this year?

Do they separate Edge, OLB, and ILB when setting the tag value?

We won't find out until they set the salary cap limit for 2023.  They count all LB's the same and the tag last year was 18.7 million so you're pry looking at around 21 million next year to franchise tag him.  I don't envy Beane when it comes to Edmunds.

• Agree 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

We won't find out until they set the salary cap limit for 2023.  They count all LB's the same and the tag last year was 18.7 million so you're pry looking at around 21 million next year to franchise tag him.  I don't envy Beane when it comes to Edmunds.

Yike.  Yeah.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yike.  Yeah.

Drives me crazy that they cound "edge rushers" as LB's when it comes to the franchise tag.  Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack aren't freaking LB's.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

'I love Buffalo, I want to be in Buffalo' | Matt Milano on his decision to stay with the Bills (buffalobills.com)

I mean, I'm sure loving the Bills factored into a decision not to hit free agency, but I also think these guys are well aware they have short careers and they need to get Paid while they can - so I'm pretty sure he signed a contract having a pretty good idea what his market value was at the time and making a mindful decision if he took a bit less to stay here.

You can believe it was all about Love and a Home Town Discount with no knowledge of what his FA market was, if it makes you happier.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Drives me crazy that they cound "edge rushers" as LB's when it comes to the franchise tag.  Nick Bosa is not a freaking LB.

Indeed.

Edited by Beck Water

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, I'm sure loving the Bills factored into a decision not to hit free agency, but I also think these guys are well aware they have short careers and they need to get Paid while they can - so I'm pretty sure he signed a contract having a pretty good idea what his market value was at the time and making a mindful decision if he took a bit less to stay here.

You can believe it was all about Love and a Home Town Discount with no knowledge of what his FA  market as

I will take his words at face value…I mean this is a guy you hear very little from normally so would be surprised if he was telling a story ..

I would be really surprised if his Agents advice was to sign this deal a week before Free Agency commenced …. 

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I like Edmunds and he took a big step in the right direction. But thats a huge amount of $$$ to pay a defensive player that doesn’t 1. Shut down an opposing WR; and 2. Doesnt sack the QB. Can he stop Kelce? Nope. 

This team would be better off spreading that money around the OL and signing 2 good interior linemen in FA for the cost of Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I will take his words at face value…I mean this is a guy you hear very little from normally so would be surprised if he was telling a story ..

I would be really surprised if his Agents advice was to sign this deal a week before Free Agency commenced ….

I would be really surprised if that was his agent's advice, too

And I'm sure he did want to stay in Buffalo and tell his agent to get 'er done.

I'm just saying that I think he did so with a pretty good knowledge of what FA could bring him, and that signing the deal a week before FA (or the tampering period) doesn't preclude this.  That's all.

PS we don't hear from him much in the press or on social media, but per Micah Hyde he's the biggest Junk talker on the team next to McKenzie.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

I like Edmunds and he took a big step in the right direction. But thats a huge amount of $$$ to pay a defensive player that doesn’t 1. Shut down an opposing WR; and 2. Doesnt sack the QB. Can he stop Kelce? Nope. 

This team would be better off spreading that money around the OL and signing 2 good interior linemen in FA for the cost of Edmunds.

We're not spending a dime over 14-15M for Edmunds. I don't care if it's an extension or tag.  We have way too many issues on the OL and WR to have the luxury of keeping 49. Yes he's played well this season but his time in Buffalo is numbered.

54 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Tag and let him walk after 2023. He will not sign a long term deal near what Milano was paid and Milano and Poyer are more important players. There was not much of a drop off with Klein last year. Bernard pick was just an absolute waste of a key player.  

If tag will be $21M as suggested above then it is the worst option available. Either let him go or extend him for much less per and for significantly lower cap hit in 2023.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.