Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

22 minutes ago, dje85 said:

I don't think the Bills would be out on him if he was cut. The Cards would still be on the hook for a large portion of his next contract. I also believe we have contracts we could extend or players cut etc in order to get Hopkins  a fair market value with the right contract wording. 

I do think Bills would be out.   The Cardinals don't owe Hopkins any money.    The remaining $34M in salary is all unguaranteed per Spotrac.    They can cut him tomorrow and owe him nothing more.  They will have dead money on their cap either way.........but that's from unamortized bonus payments that were already made.   

If OBJ got $15M for one year then Hopkins will surely that $34M for 2 years,  or more,  on the open market.    I can't see the Bills paying another WR $17M cap hit each of the next two years and it would be crazy to extend his deal any further than that to make a significant dent in that $34M figure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I do think Bills would be out.   The Cardinals don't owe Hopkins any money.    The remaining $34M in salary is all unguaranteed per Spotrac.    They can cut him tomorrow and owe him nothing more.  They will have dead money on their cap either way.........but that's from unamortized bonus payments that were already made.   

If OBJ got $15M for one year then Hopkins will surely that $34M for 2 years,  or more,  on the open market.    I can't see the Bills paying another WR $17M cap hit each of the next two years and it would be crazy to extend his deal any further than that to make a significant dent in that $34M figure.

Wow, I didn't realize the 34 million wasn't guaranteed in that Cardinals contract. I think Beane realizes we need to get over that hump I feel just like with Von Miller we would find a way if Hopkins was willing to play ball with us. Though if he wasn't I do agree a straight 34 million would be a tough pill to swallow.

23 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I just don't see a path on how the Bills afford him?

Spotrac shows $6M in cap space, and -$17M in cap space in 2024. 

Unless, we start cutting or trading some of the bigger contracts on the team? 

Morse? Tre' White? 

Why would Beane make a call or look into Hopkins if he didn't think the Bills could afford him? I don't think he even bothers if he didn't think it was possible 

20 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Detroit now the #1 destination?

After the whole Jameson Williams thing, I could see that. Pit him with St. Brown and that WR core is nuts

11 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

Ed Oliver would have to be traded go, that would clear 10+ mill. Hopkins brings much more to the table than ED to use a big cap hit on

Fixed it for you.  If they cut him his entire $10 mil is guaranteed so zero saving.  Only option is to trade him.  Now you need to find a team that thinks he's worth $10 mil or somehow is a better fit in their defense or has a big hole in their D line and feels that's the one thing they need to go deep in playoffs.  Which ironically if they trade Oliver, is exactly where the Bills are left with a big hole in the middle of their D line.    No one here seems to think he's worth $10 mil so why will other teams.

Someone above mentioned the Brock Osweiler trade where Texans sent draft picks along with him to Cleveland.  Likely would need to do something like that to get a taker.  But the Bills only have 6 picks to start with, if they give some up to get Hopkins, then possibly giving up a pick to dump Oliver, just can't see that happening either.

Don't know much about Cardinals defense if they need help at DT and how they are money wise if they could even afford it, but maybe a trade of Oliver, plus a 2nd or 3rd in both 2023 and 2024 for Hopkins may entice Cardinals to agree to it??  If true that Cardinals could potentially cut him, at least this way they are getting more in return.  Bills through in extra pick to take on Oliver's salary and Cardinals get a good player, just not a player truly worth $10 mil

15 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Gabe Davis is not being traded. 

First of all, he's on the last year of his contract. Teams aren't giving up a Day 2 pick on someone that may or may not be there the following year. This only happens when the team trading for him knows they can sign them long-term. 

And even then, it doesn't get done unless the trading team knows they can't afford their price tag and is resigned to not re-signing them. And I don't see that situation here. Beane has spoken of wanting to re-sign him after this season.

He had a disappointing year last season. But he produced at a high level as the #3 option. Enough that they thought he deserved a shot as a #2. Even if they believed he failed there (or fans do), it doesn't make sense that someone who performed as a high #3 should be cut or traded because he wasn't a great #2. 

Also, you're suggesting we trade Gabe, our 2nd, and our 3rd for Hopkins and Mingo. That would be using both of our Day 2 Picks on WR. With the holes we have, upgrades needed to be made, and next year considerations at MLB, OL, TE, and DT - we can't use a 2nd and a 3rd at one position. Especially if we already have Diggs and Hopkins in the fold.

Gabe Davis will be here this season. Alongside Stefon Diggs and either a 1st/2nd Round Pick or DeAndre Hopkins. But not both and certainly not without Gabe as well.

I disagree. Davis is a player that has showed flashes but has not put it all together. They ain’t trading for Davis, they are basically unloading Dhop and getting a guy who might or might not have success in their system, why not have him in the lineup for a year to see how valuable he is to you. They still get the two picks as well. I don’t think anyone would trade for Davis right now and be prepared to give him any money before suiting up even if the Bills were trying to unload him,  Some bills fans just think Davis is more of a star then he actually is. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Here’s my pre draft moves. Trade Ed Oliver & either Boogie or AJ to the Texans for their 4th round pick & Jerry Hughes. Then go to Arizona and give them our 4th & their 5th we got for Cody Ford for Hopkins. Then go to the draft and get: 

LB

DT

TE

BPA

BPA

why can’t this work? Where is the issue?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Buffalo is out.

@Buffalo_Stampede are you claiming inside knowledge? 

Both that the Bills are out on Hopkins and that Drew Sanders is the player that the Bills have decided they will pick if he is there when they are on the board?

What's your new handle going to be if one of those declarations proves false? :flirt:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There’s got to be about 75% chance he’s traded between now and the 4th round of the draft

FWIW….”NFL Rumors” account on Twitter says Cardinals price is now a 2nd and Hopkins is willing to work with a team around terms of his contract

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Just a quick translation here Adidas is releasing their Fear of God line designed by Jerry Lorenzo who used to be with Nike.  Both Hopkins and Diggs have contracts with Adidas.   Probably has nothing to the the Bills at all.

As an aside really wish twitter would retire the big eye emojis.   Buffalo Rumblings can retire as well. 

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Could be DHop signing with adidas and Diggs is congratulating him.  

Almost assuredly exactly this. Or simply responding to a friend's post. Everyone loves to read more into IG comments/emoji's than are necessary. The NFL is a community of co-workers. 99.9% of all posts are meaningless conversation amongst colleagues.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mikemac2001 said:

Ya I feel like this will start heating up Tuesday or weds they will want a pick this year. I think they back off on their demands and if it doesn’t happen then his trade value is just going to go down even more. 

I think for the Bills they might be waiting for the draft.  If Addison moves within a predetermined amount, maybe a 3rd or a 4th (+our 27) they go for him. 

If Addison is gone by then Beane activates his DHop plan, which might be using that 3rd or 4th, plus probably an independent move to do something with Oliver (because of the cap money needed).

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think for the Bills they might be waiting for the draft.  If Addison moves within a predetermined amount, maybe a 3rd or a 4th (+our 27) they go for him. 

If Addison is gone by then Beane activates his DHop plan, which might be using that 3rd or 4th, plus probably an independent move to do something with Oliver (because of the cap money needed).

From every beat reporter that I trust, the Bills LOVE Ed Oliver and would like to keep him.  The situation could turn out to be a bit like Tremaine Edmunds.

Joe Buscaglia even said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Ed re-signed in the off-season, though it’s the players best interest to play through the season.  

Either way it seems like the Bills like Oliver a lot more than the fanbase does.  

On 4/22/2023 at 9:56 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Just a quick translation here Adidas is releasing their Fear of God line designed by Jerry Lorenzo who used to be with Nike.  Both Hopkins and Diggs have contracts with Adidas.   Probably has nothing to the the Bills at all.

As an aside really wish twitter would retire the big eye emojis.   Buffalo Rumblings can retire as well. 

So much of social media is over-analyzed and misinterpreted.  Remember when Diggs was unhappy and demanded  a trade to Dallas to play with his brother?  

• Agree 1

On 4/22/2023 at 11:46 AM, BananaB said:

Some bills fans just think Davis is more of a star then he actually is. 

And some Bills fans think Davis is completely worthless and should be cut or traded after his promotion to #2 didn't go swimmingly in a season where he was dealing with injuries and was in his first year starting. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Davis was a very solid #3 WR. Solid enough that it earned him a promotion. It wasn't all the KC playoff game. He made many difficult toe tap catches before that game.

Yes, last season didn't go as well as we had hoped at #2. But that doesn't mean he should be ran out of town. He should return to his role as #3 at least for this season, finding holes in the Defense with coverages rolling to Diggs and Hopkins.

He's under an inexpensive mid round Rookie contract. If we had Diggs and Hopkins, it makes no sense to get rid of Davis and spend a 2nd Round Pick on another WR for that same #3 role on top of it.

Especially with the amount of holes we have to fill at other positions, the need to fill those holes in the Draft after what it would cost financially for Hopkins, and the Draft compensation we'd already spending on WR to acquire Hopkins.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And some Bills fans think Davis is completely worthless and should be cut or traded after his promotion to #2 didn't go swimmingly in a season where he was dealing with injuries and was in his first year starting. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Davis was a very solid #3 WR. Solid enough that it earned him a promotion. It wasn't all the KC playoff game. He made many difficult toe tap catches before that game.

Yes, last season didn't go as well as we had hoped at #2. But that doesn't mean he should be ran out of town. He should return to his role as #3 at least for this season, finding holes in the Defense with coverages rolling to Diggs and Hopkins.

He's under an inexpensive mid round Rookie contract. If we had Diggs and Hopkins, it makes no sense to get rid of Davis and spend a 2nd Round Pick on another WR for that same #3 role on top of it.

Especially with the amount of holes we have to fill at other positions, the need to fill those holes in the Draft after what it would cost financially for Hopkins, and the Draft compensation we'd already spending on WR to acquire Hopkins.

Gabe is replaceable. If the Cardinals want him to sweeten the pot, have at it. This idea that we can’t get by without him on our roster is ***** crazy. If we use a 2 on a guy who has more upside, what’s the problem? Gabe will be off the team or looking for a pay raise next year, so either scenario points to having a draft pick more valuable to the team moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Gabe is replaceable. If the Cardinals want him to sweeten the pot, have at it. This idea that we can’t get by without him on our roster is ***** crazy. If we use a 2 on a guy who has more upside, what’s the problem? Gabe will be off the team or looking for a pay raise next year, so either scenario points to having a draft pick more valuable to the team moving forward. 

You're missing the point. 

We'd have to use another Pick to fill his role. You can't just have Diggs, Hopkins, and Sherfield on the Outside. We'd need to get another solid #3. And we'd already be spending a pick or picks at WR on Hopkins.

That's too much to put into WR with all the holes we need to fill, the draft compensation we'd already be giving up at WR for Hopkins, and with the money we'd be spending on Hopkins requiring us to fill those holes in the Draft. 

Trading away Davis just to have to spend more this season to replace him on top of what we're spending on Hopkins is pointless and counter productive when he's fine as the #3. He wouldn't be a part of a Hopkins trade. 

And if Davis is as replaceable as you say he is, why would Arizona want him and make it a sticking point?  A 2nd may have more upside. Or he may take time. And why spend a 2nd on someone when we already have Diggs and Hopkins in the starting lineup?

Especially when, contrary to posters on this thread would like to believe, we have a lot more to do to this roster than just create a Fantasy Football team at WR.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're missing the point. 

We'd have to use another Pick to fill his role. You can't just have Diggs, Hopkins, and Sherfield on the Outside. We'd need to get another solid #3. And we'd already be spending a pick or picks at WR on Hopkins.

That's too much to put into WR with all the holes we need to fill, the draft compensation we'd already be giving up at WR for Hopkins, and with the money we'd be spending on Hopkins requiring us to fill those holes in the Draft. 

Trading away Davis just to have to spend more this season to replace him on top of what we're spending on Hopkins is pointless and counter productive when he's fine as the #3. He wouldn't be a part of a Hopkins trade. 

I get the point but I think you are over thinking the #3 spot myself. Maybe it’s a draft pick, maybe it’s Shakir, maybe it’s Sherfield, maybe it’s a group effort. If you have Hopkins and Diggs, I bet that third spot becomes less important and Knox may be your guy who benefits from this trade the most.  

bills have way more needs than they have Day 1 & 2 picks just for 2023.....if you start worrying about 2024 ...its every position except QB

2023- OG, OT, WR2, RB1, ILB, TE2

2024- DT, FS, SS, OC, EDGE

i'm all about upgrading the OL as top priority....but i would make an exception for Dhop....he is an absolute stud/elite/sure thing

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

bills have way more needs than they have Day 1 & 2 picks just for 2023.....if you start worrying about 2024 ...its every position except QB

There will be drafts those years as well, and free agency. Not all of those needs will actually be needs when the time comes. 

14 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i'm all about upgrading the OL as top priority....but i would make an exception for Dhop....he is an absolute stud/elite/sure thing

He's a stud. Get Jefferson on one side dHop on the other and Diggs in the slot and still you only go as far as they have with Josh being the run game.

Edited by 1onemangang7

bills are already $20 mil OVER the cap for 2024

with 31 current players becoming free agents and NOT in that cap total.....like Ed Oliver, Gabe Davis, DaQuan Jones, micah hyde, settle, phillips

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/31-buffalo-bills-free-agents-2024-micah-hyde-gabe-davis-ed-oliver/

lots of needs and running out of accounting tricks

Edited by papazoid
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, papazoid said:

bills are already $20 mil OVER the cap for 2024

with 31 current players becoming free agents and NOT in that cap total.....like Ed Oliver, Gabe Davis, DaQuan Jones, micah hyde

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/31-buffalo-bills-free-agents-2024-micah-hyde-gabe-davis-ed-oliver/

lots of needs and running out of accounting tricks

The cap is projected to go 30 Million higher based on new tv revenue next year.

Joe Buscalia covered this in his latest articles "The draft files Part I". 

"The NFL contract experts at OverTheCap.com project the 2024 cap to go up by over $30 million from the $224.8 million figure this year. And with that in mind, before the Tyler Bass extension, the Bills were already $1 million under next year’s projected cap without any contract restructuring or rollover cap space from 2023. And they have options. They can restructure Josh Allen’s contract again, which would clear over $20 million. And they have a lot of options of cutting players with substantial cap savings for 2024, and not all of them are the core assets.

So why is this important? For contract extensions, it’s everything, and the Bills have the means to get at least one meaningful contract, if not more, done for the 2024 season."

- Joe Buscalia 

Edited by dje85
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4