Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

You don’t think he could get fired if he doesn’t get us past the division round of the playoffs? Becoming the team that can’t get over the hump? It’s careless to think Beane doesn’t believe he has to get better or risk losing his job. All NFL coaches and GMs feel this heat. 

Careless decision making get GMs fired too.

Let's look at your pont though, re: not getting over the hump:

1. Chiefs Div round loss 2021: you really think this was the offenses fault?! 

2. Bengals loss 2022: offense struggled, alot of blame to pass around...including Dorsey.  But again, the defense failed in thr biggest moment.  2 opening TDs, where the Bengals had zero resistance.

Somehow I cant imagine how Dhop changes either outcome

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The cap going up, a lot and the Bills being able to restructure Allen multiple times are not assumptions. 

It will, and they will.  

If one, or both, don’t happen … it means the league is in trouble (not just us) and something really unexpected happened with Allen. 

KC is operating based on the cap going up and Mahomes contract being used as a bank.  

CIN is operating based on the cap going up and will soon have the highest paid QB in the league, along with one or two of the highest paid WR’s.  

Jets are adding 20M dead cap hits on void years in ‘25 and ‘26 to get, hopefully, two contending years from Rodgers … at which point they will have to figure out QB and pay a lot of good players. 

Miami is leveraging themselves like there is no tomorrow and then they have to pay Tua or reset at QB. 

Not just us playing this game … it’s all of our peer contenders. 

Let's see I'd Cincy actually pays 2 top flight WRs.

Remind me what KC did with their top flight WR (Hill), last year?  

Neither of these teams are doing an "all in move"/leveraging as much as Dhop would cost.

Jets and Dolphins can screw themselves up for the future, hoping that happens.  

But Cincy and KC have not done what you suggest.  Both these teams have acquired great value FAs and drafted MUCH better than us in recent years.

That's what constitutes long-term success, and why its paramount we have a great draft.

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Careless decision making get GMs fired too.

Let's look at your pont though, re: not getting over the hump:

1. Chiefs Div round loss 2021: you really think this was the offenses fault?! 

2. Bengals loss 2022: offense struggled, alot of blame to pass around...including Dorsey.  But again, the defense failed in thr biggest moment.  2 opening TDs, where the Bengals had zero resistance.

Somehow I cant imagine how Dhop changes either outcome

1) Nope.  We traded for Von to address that.  It is what it is.  Have to hope it works out. 

2) No idea what to take from that game. Absolute dumpster fire, with crazy circumstances, I don’t know … I don’t want to make excuses for them… but it’s really difficult to dissect that game, especially hearing from players after it.  

Can we try to get a 1 seed for once? Does Hopkins help with that?

Are the Bills physically/mentally dead going into a Divisional Round CIN game after playing Miami in the WC if we have the 1 seed?    Nope… we’d have a bye to heal up and then we’d be playing Jax, not Cin.   Who knows how that plays out if we get past Jax and face KC, at home, with Hyde and Jones healthy and back on the field.   We matched up much better with KC than CIN. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Neither of these teams are doing an "all in move"/leveraging as much as Dhop would cost.

But Cincy and KC have not done what you suggest.  Both these teams have acquired great value FAs and drafted MUCH better than us in recent years.

That's what constitutes long-term success, and why its paramount we have a great draft.

I agree our drafts have to be better. Too many premium picks have missed or had middling results.

I still think there is a way to make DHop work that is not as crippling for the future as you suggest. 

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

I don't have a lot of faith in the paramount draft. beane just hasn't had one yet. Yes, Allen but that was a risk/reward type pick (I guess they all are) Gabe? Maybe Teller...gone. I also have to give some time for last years picks, but idk. Buffalo has just been ehh aside from Allen. 

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Are you privy to negotiations for Hopkins that we aren’t aware of?  

You seem to be operating under the assumption that we stand pat, no corresponding moves, and take Hopkins full cap hit.  

I can see trading Oliver now if they don't play to keep him later. But I would prefer using the compensation to sign a younger player like Jeudy instead of Hopkins, or, better, draft a prospect. We have enough aging, expensive, fragile veterans. 

What is taking so long is the trade for picks for Oliver to to the Bears to clear Salary Cap space for D. HOP.

Bears are offering a 3rd or or a 4th ( with a late 7th too).  BB probably wants a 3rd 2023 plus a 4th or 5th next year..

So it is close... 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Yea, let’s see .. and then let’s see how good they are without a highly invested in OL for Burrow, without the best WR trio in the league. 

KC made a great move with Hill.   They also have quite a few high paid players (Kelce, Thuney, Taylor, Jones) and just restructured Mahomes two weeks ago. 

KC is the gold standard right now… no argument from me there, but they are still operating as if the cap is going up with the option to hit up the bank of Mahomes when needed. 

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Big question is "IF.  Winning a SB with Dhop isn't some forgone conclusion, yes it improves our chances but by how much?

We just dominated on offense most of LY, with a weak OL.  Knox recovering from a major tragedy in his fam, losing our reliable slot receiver (no capable replacement), and a rookie OC getting trial by fire.

And those teams that you referenced were stacked, in many ways that we aren't. 

Their missing piece was a QB.  They had superstars on defense, very good OLs/etc. 

If you and others think Dhop is worth the future tradeoff, so be it. I'm not there.

You don’t think what happens “if we DONT win the SB” or get there? People wanted Beane and McDs heads to roll this year after the Div loss. What do you think happens if they fall short again? Everyone could potentially be fired and then we’re starting all over again. 

Our OL was terrible. We didn’t dominate, we were good. Especially in the beginning of the year. Then it tapered off in the second half of the season. Barely beating the Fins with a 3rd QB, and getting smoked against the Bengals at home. 

Knox recovering from a tragedy is nothing to bring up. People lose family members all the time. Josh lost his grandmother who was everything to him and played the game of his life. Didn’t miss a beat for the rest of the year either. People die and it sucks, people need to stop with the excuses. Like Damar. Same thing, Excuses. 

We didn’t have a reliable slot WR in the team last year. Never did. They expected McKenzie to step up and he didn’t. They had no other answers. They brought in a FA that had issues of his own. If anything, the way they handled the slot last year is a knock on Beane for how it was mishandled. Anyone could see even from the beginning that Josh missed his reliable guy in Beasley. 

Another shot at this coaching staff is the idea that Dorsey should have been the OC. In a year that we were “all in” with the Von signing and everything we did on the Dline. Apparently fixed all the holes from 13 seconds. And we trotted out a first year OC expecting him to get it done with no hiccups? Mistake by the FO and coaching staff to allow that to happen. 

You don’t think we’re stacked? Allen, Diggs, Miller, Hyde, Poyer, Milano, Dawkins, Morse, White…. All are or were recently all pros, or pro bowlers. Not to mention, if we get Hopkins doesn’t that make us stacked enough? 

the Rams were missing more than QB. That’s why they mortgaged their future for Ramsey, Stafford, and Miller. 

the Bucs weren’t much different as they went for Suh, Fournette, Brown, Brady, Gronk, Pierre-Paul, Shady. 

None of us know it will be the difference in getting us there. But that’s what the off-season is all about. Aren’t you sick of losing in games that matter? And a GM and HC that could pull the trigger to help along the way but don’t? 2 years ago they should have made a play for Miller and they didn’t we were 13 seconds away from hosting the AFC championship game. The year before that we got smoked in the AFC championship game. We don’t seem to be getting better. Meanwhile, the Jets are going after Rodgers and Miami is building a dream team minus the QB. 

for once, push your chips all in and try and win this thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Yea, let’s see .. and then let’s see how good they are without a highly invested in OL for Burrow, without the best WR trio in the league. 

KC made a great move with Hill.   They also have quite a few high paid players (Kelce, Thuney, Taylor, Jones) and just restructured Mahomes two weeks ago. 

KC is the gold standard right now… no argument from me there, but they are still operating as if the cap is going up with the option to hit up the bank of Mahomes when needed. 

Cincy will start to unravel in a couple years.  Luxury of having alot of superstars, on rookie deals.  But kudos to them for building what they have.

Yes, KC has diversified their spending/have stars at key positions.

This is basically my point.  Very few teams actually pay for 2 top-$ WR contracts.  That $ is better used elsewhere.  I'd be putting more into the OL, instead of Dhop.

If Beane bucks the trend, and his own personal philosophy on team building, that would be very surprising to me.  Exciting to get Dhop yes, but at a cost that can't be shrugged off as easy as many here suggest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

You don’t think what happens “if we DONT win the SB” or get there? People wanted Beane and McDs heads to roll this year after the Div loss. What do you think happens if they fall short again? Everyone could potentially be fired and then we’re starting all over again. 

Our OL was terrible. We didn’t dominate, we were good. Especially in the beginning of the year. Then it tapered off in the second half of the season. Barely beating the Fins with a 3rd QB, and getting smoked against the Bengals at home. 

Knox recovering from a tragedy is nothing to bring up. People lose family members all the time. Josh lost his grandmother who was everything to him and played the game of his life. Didn’t miss a beat for the rest of the year either. People die and it sucks, people need to stop with the excuses. Like Damar. Same thing, Excuses. 

We didn’t have a reliable slot WR in the team last year. Never did. They expected McKenzie to step up and he didn’t. They had no other answers. They brought in a FA that had issues of his own. If anything, the way they handled the slot last year is a knock on Beane for how it was mishandled. Anyone could see even from the beginning that Josh missed his reliable guy in Beasley. 

Another shot at this coaching staff is the idea that Dorsey should have been the OC. In a year that we were “all in” with the Von signing and everything we did on the Dline. Apparently fixed all the holes from 13 seconds. And we trotted out a first year OC expecting him to get it done with no hiccups? Mistake by the FO and coaching staff to allow that to happen. 

You don’t think we’re stacked? Allen, Diggs, Miller, Hyde, Poyer, Milano, Dawkins, Morse, White…. All are or were recently all pros, or pro bowlers. Not to mention, if we get Hopkins doesn’t that make us stacked enough? 

the Rams were missing more than QB. That’s why they mortgaged their future for Ramsey, Stafford, and Miller. 

the Bucs weren’t much different as they went for Suh, Fournette, Brown, Brady, Gronk, Pierre-Paul, Shady. 

None of us know it will be the difference in getting us there. But that’s what the off-season is all about. Aren’t you sick of losing in games that matter? And a GM and HC that could pull the trigger to help along the way but don’t? 2 years ago they should have made a play for Miller and they didn’t we were 13 seconds away from hosting the AFC championship game. The year before that we got smoked in the AFC championship game. We don’t seem to be getting better. Meanwhile, the Jets are going after Rodgers and Miami is building a dream team minus the QB. 

for once, push your chips all in and try and win this thing. 

There's alot I disagree with here, just to hit on a cpl points:

1. Offense: we had a dominate offense early in season, not just "good".  Not having to punt the ball is proof of that.  Yes offense cooled but nobody knows how much is attributed to Josh elbow vs playcalling vs defenses adjusting (probably a bit of all).

2. Tragedy: everyone handles differently, it's a bit harsh to not cut slack for everything this team went thru LY

Respect your opinion, just disagree with alot of your views

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Cincy will start to unravel in a couple years.  Luxury of having alot of superstars, on rookie deals.  But kudos to them for building what they have.

Yes, KC has diversified their spending/have stars at key positions.

This is basically my point.  Very few teams actually pay for 2 top-$ WR contracts.  That $ is better used elsewhere.  I'd be putting more into the OL, instead of Dhop.

If Beane bucks the trend, and his own personal philosophy on team building, that would be very surprising to me.  Exciting to get Dhop yes, but at a cost that can't be shrugged off as easy as many here suggest.

it’s a 2 year deal at the moment. Longevity of that is a big consideration on whether it truly impacts team building or is just coming from the shiny toy fund

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

There's alot I disagree with here, just to hit on a cpl points:

1. Offense: we had a dominate offense early in season, not just "good".  Not having to punt the ball is proof of that.  Yes offense cooled but nobody knows how much is attributed to Josh elbow vs playcalling vs defenses adjusting (probably a bit of all).

2. Tragedy: everyone handles differently, it's a bit harsh to not cut slack for everything this team went thru LY

Respect your opinion, just disagree with alot of your views

Like I said, we were good in the beginning I’d the year. It definitely fell off a cliff at the end of the year though. To be at its worst in the game against Cinci. 

Come on with the tragedy. The thing with his brother happened in August. It shouldn’t have festered all season. 

I cut them no slack. They went through similar things everyday people go through on a daily basis. People lose family members. All of Buffalo dealt with the snowstorms and power outages. Everyday people are exhausted from work every single day. They don’t get paid millions of dollars to do it either. These guys are supposed to be professionals. I don’t buy any of it. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

Hmm - the plot thickens. Check out Stevie Johnsons twitter account. He claims Dhop is on the way to the Bills. Says he is here in the city closing the deal.

He said something like that yesterday I think he could just be fueling the fire. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

What would you suggest / offer 

The point is what Arizona would accept. Posters want Arizona to want Oliver and a late pick. They don’t. It’ll likely take a 2nd round pick plus some kind of later pick swap. And the obvious hang up is his contract both in terms of a re-structuring for a trade partner and the dead cap Arizona is forced to eat.

2 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Hmm - the plot thickens. Check out Stevie Johnsons twitter account. He claims Dhop is on the way to the Bills. Says he is here in the city closing the deal.

I don’t see anything new on his Twitter saying that.  He did tweet yesterday in reply to someone’s question that DHop was on his way.  But nothing I can see today. 

So just wondering if you were referring to yesterdays tweet or is there another one today I didn’t find or am missing?  

5 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I could be wrong, but didn't Stevie do/post something similar last season regarding a FA player(can't recall which player) that was believed to sign with Bills and nothing happened?

Edited by Patrick Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t see anything new on his Twitter saying that.  He did tweet yesterday in reply to someone’s question that DHop was on his way.  But nothing I can see today. 

So just wondering if you were referring to yesterdays tweet or is there another one today I didn’t find or am missing?  

Crazy - it says he posted it 2 hours ago. But was it yesterday? Either way, pretty interesting is all.

6 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

This would be amazing.  He's practically the same age as OBJ yet without all the ACL's.  Do we dump Oliver's contract in this deal?  Do we save Shakir?

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

Crazy - it says he posted it 2 hours ago. But was it yesterday? Either way, pretty interesting is all.

I definitely saw it last night at some point. I was up pretty late but I’d guess somewhere between 10pm and 2am. Don’t remember the exact time. I was in a DHop Vortex at the time. 

• Haha (+1) 1