We're onto Miami(Miami's headed to Buffalo)...opening line BUF -10! Game at 1:05 PM SUN 1/15

Big Turk

10 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

i dont remember this at all! can i get a refresher? he stear him away from us?

Yup.  Basically he was eyeing Cincy or Buffalo when he was reinstated by the league and was convinced it wasn't the best idea because they basically didn't want him to be the focus of the team (since he likely would have been the starter).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/810721-why-did-roger-goodell-and-nfl-steer-michael-vick-away-from-the-buffalo-bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He is still in stage one so correct.  Tua has zero practice.

That any of us know of!

McDaniel probably has a secret practice room in his basement for Tua.  He calls it his ‘back therapy’ room.  

I kid… or do I?

4 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Mostert heading for surgery... not looking likely he suits up

That’s a big loss for the Dolphins if so. Mostert shredded us!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, appoo said:

He was fairly anonymous on Sunday, and I think Shakir had more targets. Hard to read too much into that. But it wouldn't surprise me if Shakir rose to the top of the depth chart

McKenzie: 2 receptions on 3 targets. 56% of the snaps (33 snaps)

Shakir: 1 reception on 2 targets 25% of the snaps (15 snaps)

McKenzie has kind of been a bit of a Patriot killer or at least a Patriot kneecap biter - 5 receptions on 5 targets, 44 yds in earlier meeting this season, 11 receptions on 12 targets for 125 yds in 2nd meeting last season, 3 receptions on 3 targets and 3 rushes for 74 yds/scrimmage last season's playoff game.  So I would think Belicheck would have tried to limit him.

I would LOVE to see Shakir flourish and prove that Beane's WR talent pipeline for this team is alive and well, but what exactly have you seen that leads you to be "unsurprised" if Shakir rises to "the top of the depth chart"? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McKenzie: 2 receptions on 3 targets. 56% of the snaps (33 snaps)

Shakir: 1 reception on 2 targets 25% of the snaps (15 snaps)

McKenzie has kind of been a bit of a Patriot killer or at least a Patriot kneecap biter - 5 receptions on 5 targets, 44 yds in earlier meeting this season, 11 receptions on 12 targets for 125 yds in 2nd meeting last season, 3 receptions on 3 targets and 3 rushes for 74 yds/scrimmage last season's playoff game.  So I would think Belicheck would have tried to limit him.

I would LOVE to see Shakir flourish and prove that Beane's WR talent pipeline for this team is alive and well, but what exactly have you seen that leads you to be "unsurprised" if Shakir rises to "the top of the depth chart"? 

I thought his one play was a great one, and his other target felt like a near big play as well. 

Also it looked like Isiah was struggling out there.

But you’re right. I shouldn’t have read so much into it, and my take isn’t logical 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

That any of us know of!

McDaniel probably has a secret practice room in his basement for Tua.  He calls it his ‘back therapy’ room.  

I kid… or do I?

That’s a big loss for the Dolphins if so. Mostert shredded us!

Jeff Wilson will shred us instead.

Will be interesting to see how Hill and Waddle are doing when the injury report comes out on Wednesday - both had issues and had to leave the field on Sunday. Hill returned; not sure about Waddle.

Hope the surgery goes well for Mostert.

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Will be interesting to see how Hill and Waddle are doing when the injury report comes out on Wednesday - both had issues and had to leave the field on Sunday. Hill returned; not sure about Waddle.

Mostert was ripping us for 8 y/c just a few short weeks ago.  Hopefully the Bills can keep their RB's in check this time.

20 minutes ago, appoo said:

I thought his one play was a great one, and his other target felt like a near big play as well. 

Also it looked like Isiah was struggling out there.

But you’re right. I shouldn’t have read so much into it, and my take isn’t logical 

I'm assuming McDermott is leaving mckenzie in because he's "earned it", but this kinda stuff has to stop for the playoffs. I mean, MAYBE mckenzie is better, but it's not like mckenzie is putting up ridiculous numbers every week. They need Shakir to play more. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm assuming McDermott is leaving mckenzie in because he's "earned it", but this kinda stuff has to stop for the playoffs. I mean, MAYBE mckenzie is better, but it's not like mckenzie is putting up ridiculous numbers every week. They need Shakir to play more. 

The ball he had bounce off of him was embarrassing.  Give me Beasley in the slot please.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He is still in stage one so correct.  Tua has zero practice.

Stage 1??  I heard he is in Stage 3?   

https://news.yahoo.com/tua-tagovailoa-not-cleared-to-practice-raheem-mostert-has-broken-thumb-ahead-of-dolphins-bills-playoff-game-215328414.html

"Tua remained in Stage 3 on Sunday"

Stage 4 - I believe - is when you can start practicing.  If he is indeed already in Stage 3,  I expect he is practicing as soon as tomorrow.  

That said,  after the Damar Hamlin incident,  all the concussion stuff with Tua this year is probably the next "scariest" story line,  so I would just hope he doesn't play..... regardless of whether he is cleared.

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

There are plenty of reasons why shakir doesn’t get snaps. He has gotten blown up on many run or screen plays that resulted in a TFL. McKenzie despite being small is at least able to get in the way as a blocker. I would also say McDermott trust McKenzie more and youre confusing that with “earned it”

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, appoo said:

It was a really good catch.  He came back to the QB and all.  Nicely done, and a nice YAC too.

"Near big play" we don't count those for Davis or the other guys

38 minutes ago, appoo said:

I mean, we're all waiting for that, right?  Every since Crowder and McKenzie both went out vs. the Ravens, and Shakir had 2 really nice catches for 23 yds, and then couldn't play the following week vs. the Steelers and Shakir had 3 catches on 5 targets for 75 yds AND a nice KR.  We were all like "OK, Here We Go, Shakir!"

For whatever reason, it hasn't been working out.  He sees his snaps - has been averaging about 18 per game - occasionally I see him open, or see him blocking, and he gets an average of 1 target per game.  But I also see him signalling "open" when he's clearly not and sometimes whiffing blocks and stuff (see more good blocks as the season goes on). 

16 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honest questions: what does "earned it" in quotes mean, and what does "this kind of stuff" mean?

Edited by Beck Water

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It was a really good catch.  He came back to the QB and all.  Nicely done, and a nice YAC too.

"Near big play" we don't count those for Davis or the other guys

I mean, we're all waiting for that, right?  Every since Crowder and McKenzie both went out vs. the Ravens, and Shakir had 2 really nice catches for 23 yds, and then couldn't play the following week vs. the Steelers and Shakir had 3 catches on 5 targets for 75 yds AND a nice KR.  We were all like "OK, Here We Go, Shakir!"

For whatever reason, it hasn't been working out.  He sees his snaps - has been averaging about 18 per game - occasionally I see him open, or see him blocking, and he gets an average of 1 target per game.  But I also see him signalling "open" when he's clearly not and sometimes whiffing blocks and stuff (see more good blocks as the season goes on).  I think he's still got a learning curve as an NFL WR.

Honest question: Why would you assume this?

McDermott has said, over and over again, that playing time is "earned" in terms of performance on the practice field and in games. 

Do you think he's lying like a rug?

Assumed because of the amount of snaps mckenzie gets vs amount of production. If mckenzie was getting 4 or 5 catches a game, or even used as a 3rd down weapon, I'd have no issue letting him get the majority of snaps. Seeing his production though, I'd at the very least give Shakir more snaps and more opportunities. At this point, I'm think beasley might be out best option, but who knows 

13 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

https://news.yahoo.com/tua-tagovailoa-not-cleared-to-practice-raheem-mostert-has-broken-thumb-ahead-of-dolphins-bills-playoff-game-215328414.html

Stage 4 - I believe - is when you can start practicing.  If he is indeed already in Stage 3,  I expect he is practicing as soon as tomorrow.  

That said,  after the Damar Hamlin incident,  all the concussion stuff with Tua this year is probably the next "scariest" story line,  so I would just hope he doesn't play..... regardless of whether he is cleared.

So TBH - I find the distinction between Stage 3 and Stage 4 to be a little "Fuzzy"

https://static.www.nfl.com/image/upload/v1629471746/league/umfva5wnr32ozmukz5jd.pdf

Stage 3 says the player can practice with the team for 30 minutes of "sport specific exercise"

Stage 4 says the player participates in "non contact football activities" (throwing catching and running).

Difference?

Anyway, if Tua is in Stage 3, he can practice on Weds with a red no-contact jersey, and assuming no adverse effects, be cleared on Thursday.

42 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Hill was talking ***** after the game. Saying our db’s better get their hamstrings ready. 

16 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Assumed because of the amount of snaps mckenzie gets vs amount of production. If mckenzie was getting 4 or 5 catches a game, or even used as a 3rd down weapon, I'd have no issue letting him get the majority of snaps. Seeing his production though, I'd at the very least give Shakir more snaps and more opportunities. At this point, I'm think beasley might be out best option, but who knows 

So right now, Shakir gets about 18 snaps and 1 target per game - 1 target per 18 offensive plays on the field

McKenzie gets about 37 snaps per game, and gets just over 4 targets per game - or around twice the targets Shakir gets. 

That would beg the question "why?" to me? 

You could get into conspiracy stuff where the coaches are just stupid and unfairly keeping Shakir off the field while giving McKenzie snaps he hasn't earned in practice or play because he's "earned it" through longevity, or you could assume that the coaches are distributing playing time according to what they see in practice and in games and McKenzie has earned it there. 

McKenzie has been averaging ~3 receptions and 30 ypg which ain't good.  Shakir around 11.5 ypg and 0.7 receptions per game, which even if you double it, is lower production than McKenzie per target, so....would he do more, if he got more snaps and more targets?  IDK.

I do know I'd like to see Shakir come on, because Lord knows we need more out of our WRs than we've had at times, and I'd like to feel like our WR development pipeline has some "flow" to it.

8 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Hill was talking ***** after the game. Saying our db’s better get their hamstrings ready. 

Because it's cold, he said 🙄

I mean, he has 20 receptions for 102 yds against Buffalo this season....which sounds scary except that was over 2 games.   He's gonna get some catches and some yards,but we did kind of limit him.

Now maybe being down to our 3rd string safety and Tre White (IMO) playing scared will cause problems, IDK.

I guess I could type less and just say "IDK"

Edited by Beck Water

36 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Exacta Mundo. ENouGh mcdermott play the best players !

shakir and Cole more than McKenzie 

cook gets rb1 workload 

start th rush 3 and 8 drop / flood passing lanes 

What's interesting about Hill is his splits vs Buffalo in the playoffs vs the regular season. 

In 5 career regular season games against the Bills, Hill has 28 catches for 226 yards and 1 TD. Per game, this is about 5 catches for 45 yards, and only scoring once in 5 games. 

In 2 playoff games, he has 20 catches for 322 yards and a TD. 10 catches for 162 yards per game.

Just now, balln said:

Exacta Mundo. ENouGh mcdermott play the best players !

shakir and Cole more than McKenzie 

cook gets rb1 workload 

start th rush 3 and 8 drop / flood passing lanes 

Beasley will play. They were out of PS elevations for him, but apparently that's not applicable in the playoffs.

Cook doesn't have the weight/power to go RB1 solo. He is change of pace back as he cannot break arm tackles like Singletary.

Defensive play calling needs to become a bit less bend/break, but obviously the flow of the game will dictate scheme.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

Beasley will play. They were out of PS elevations for him, but apparently that's not applicable in the playoffs.

Cook doesn't have the weight/power to go RB1 solo. He is change of pace back as he cannot break arm tackles like Singletary.

Defensive play calling needs to become a bit less bend/break, but obviously the flow of the game will dictate scheme.

I think cook is plenty powerful. He’s actually way More running tough than I thought. And he has better ypc.

he had a textbook blitz pick up that was phantom flagged 

Singletary is simply too slow. He misses so many bigger plays bc he just can’t cut back on get thru the hole. I’ve also seen him twice in two years drop passes at kc. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

You sure they were out of elevations for Beasley? Cinci was his 3rd and final but that game was eliminated so he should have been eligible for NE. They chose not to

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I heard he has a hand injury

He broke his thumb, which isn't good for a RB because they can't switch the ball to the other hand.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35414300/dolphins-expect-more-clarity-tagovailoa-mostert-later-week

Edited by Billz4ever

39 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Now maybe being down to our 3rd string safety and Tre White (IMO) playing scared will cause problems, IDK.

Do you really still see Tre playing scared after yesterday's game? Seemed like a big step towards regaining his MOJO. 

It's impossible to overlook how grabby he's been, and how half-speed some of his cuts and changes of direction have looked on replays, but it's difficult to know if that's mental or physical, or both. 

Hopefully his trust in his knee took a giant leap forward yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 7

13 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Do you really still see Tre playing scared after yesterday's game? Seemed like a big step towards regaining his MOJO. 

It's impossible to overlook how grabby he's been, and how half-speed some of his cuts and changes of direction have looked on replays, but it's difficult to know if that's mental or physical, or both. 

Hopefully his trust in his knee took a giant leap forward yesterday. 

That INT had to be huge for his confidence.

It's the half-speed cuts and COD that have me thinking "playing scared" because he looks faster and smoother in the occasional clips we see of practice.  But you're right, who knows? if it's physical, mental or both.

I did think Tre was very affected by what happened with Hamlin.  He pretty well acknowledged what a trauma it's been to him after the game.

33 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I thought that too— until I saw Mostert do that to the packers, patriots, and jets the next three weeks. Dude is just a beast and is finally playing at his true potential. 

I think he's getting surgery this week

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BRH said:

I feel like we had this conversation 20 years ago with Greggo and his damn 46 defense.

Except Greggo was a fraud who was not so much a coach as a syndicate head of Murder For Hire, and part time brassiere model.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Sorry what about our cover 2 shell doesnt work?  we held them to 171 and 217 yards in the two games so far.  Thats 2 of their 5 lowest outputs for the season.  Including only Tua starts thats 2 of his 3 lowest outputs.  I think youre referencing what the Chargers did to Tua, which at 127 was obviously great, but everyone else that has tried to replicate that has not been as good as we have done.  If we dont disguise cover 2 or mix up coverages some then yeah i worry we would get carved up.  But frazier has shown he can contain tua.  188 rushing yards (most of the year) scares me and run fits from cover 2 are harder, but you seemed to imply that cover 2 couldnt stop their pasisng attack.  

The Niners smashed the Fins with press man as well. The thing with Tua, or the Dolphin offense QB's in general, is they are going to put the ball to the spot where they expect the receiver to be, whether he's there or not. Buffalo rarely tries to mess with the receivers getting to that spot. It's just read, react, try to tackle and if you miss on those guys they go a long way because of the team speed. Cover 2 with Hyde and Poyer, I'd have less concern. The likes of Jaquan, Marlowe, and yes Hamlin are eminently exploitable. That's what happened the first game. The home game, the Bills were getting annihilated with the run game, and they needed the last 2 scores in the fourth to win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Last I read it he wasnt doing stuff with the team yet.  May have misunderstood what I read.  Anything stage 2 and beyond is doing stuff with the team staff.  Regardless... to date he has not practiced yet.  If he starts practicing early week then there is a chance he will play. More probable he would.  Usually once stage 3 hits people are cleared in days.  Although we had a player this year that made it to stage 5 and still didnt clear.  That was shortly after Tua incident so they might have been more cautious.

Stage 2 is light aerobic stuff

Stage 3 is team drill like stuff

Stage 4 is non contact practice

Stage 5 is full practice 

After that its just Dr. clearance. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

So TBH - I find the distinction between Stage 3 and Stage 4 to be a little "Fuzzy"

https://static.www.nfl.com/image/upload/v1629471746/league/umfva5wnr32ozmukz5jd.pdf

Stage 3 says the player can practice with the team for 30 minutes of "sport specific exercise"

Stage 4 says the player participates in "non contact football activities" (throwing catching and running).

Difference?

Anyway, if Tua is in Stage 3, he can practice on Weds with a red no-contact jersey, and assuming no adverse effects, be cleared on Thursday.

Stage 3 is like stuff you see our players do off to the side when they are injured... like maybe running some sprints or exercise bike type stuff.  Stage 4 they actually participate in practice in a non contact jersey.... which is obviously easier for a QB because they dont get contact anyways.

Edited by Scott7975

On 1/8/2023 at 4:15 PM, The Jokeman said:

But for how long?

It’s a home game. If we all LOOK AT HIM REALLY HARD, that might do it. 

I hate to kid about this, but their management of this coupled with how fragile he seems is concerning. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.