Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

So cancel the games this week.

Resume the Bills-Bengals the following Sunday as the only game, on a neutral field, in Cleveland, since the Bills won't want to play on the same turf where the incident occurred. This will also make up for the Bill giving up a home game to play in Detroit earleir this year. They game starts at 0-0 from the start of the first quarter, to give everyone a fresh start, free of the memories from last night. Half the tickets go to each team.

The Week 18 games are the followlng week.

All the playoff weeks are pushed back one week. The NFL has done it before, after 9-11.

Makes most people happy.

Well this game will 100% resume with the Bengals winning 7-3 with 6 minutes left. 

Why should the Bengals give up their home field advantage?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

If thats the case and a win is impossible then I'd imagine the Bills would rather take the forfeit than no game played as it gives them the highest probability to still get the 1st seed.

As I stated before, Cincy wouldn't feel right taking a W due to forfeit, and won't accept it. Plus someone posted above the NFL doesn't want to take the blowback from forcing the Bills to take a forfeit because of the Hamlin situation. It is likely a tie, double forfeit, double win, or replay the game at a later date, delaying the season if need be.

Don’t count the game and base seeding off conf record - problem is ravens can’t win div but that’s the same scenario if bills concede. 

Bengals would have shot at 1st with a win and a bills loss and KC loss 

KC would have a shot at 1st with win and with bills loss 

Bengals have a shot at 2nd seed with win and KC loss 

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think along your lines.  The Bills may come out with a statement that they will forfeit.  Say the league offered them a chance to replay and they declined.  

It just helps the league out of a tricky situation with the Bills taking the hit.  The Bills were behind and it was a Bills player that went down.  Plus there were rumors that McD wasn't bringing the team back out no matter what the league said.

While the Superbowl odds may decrease, the overall Bills brand will shine.  And there will be an undercurrent of support Nationwide.

It was the 1st Quarter.  The circumstance was beyond the Bills control.  Punishing the team by basically forcing them to forfeit seems pretty poor 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

33 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

This completely screws up the logistics of 16 games.  We don't even know if stadiums are available the following week. 

Yeah it’s a logistical nightmare, but the integrity of the season feels bigger than worrying about logistics.  

Games could be set to any day that following week to accommodate stadium availability.  

1 minute ago, dma0034 said:

Well this game will 100% resume with the Bengals winning 7-3 with 6 minutes left. 

Do you think the Bengals would want to play on the same turf, starting at the same yard marker where the injury occurred?

1 minute ago, chongli said:

Do you think the Bengals would want to play on the same turf, starting at the same yard marker where the injury occurred?

IF Hamlin is alive? Absolutely.

That probably came off as cold. I am hoping he makes a full recovery quickly

Edited by dma0034
  • Like (+1) 1

End it in a tie, but as far as my thinking goes this season is over until we get an update on DH. 

4 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Then the Bills would have a day or two for NE preparations. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't think the Bills organization will object to this decision.  Everything I've seen from the Pegulas, Beane, and McDermott tells me that they are mature adults who will bite the bullet on this because it's in the best interests of the league collectively.

Obviously I'd also be fine with giving both teams wins or going on winning percentages too.  I'm just pushing back on the argument that this game "has" to be made up.  It doesn't, and that's not even a good option.

every effort (as Im sure it is) should be made to have this game played

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Is there news? I would think the league needs to inform the teams today considering this is a short week already for both of them and today is going to be spent praying for Damar.

I'd be surprised if the League announces anything publicly before there is an update on Hamlin (unless it's that the game won't be played)
And from what I've seen there is unlikely to be any significant news (positive at least) until late tonight or tomorrow.

With that said, my guess is there are internal discussions on how to handle it and the Bills and Bengals (and possibly other teams as well if there are competition questions) are looped in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

WHAT WOULD DAMAR WANT?

If he is the competitor that I believe him to be.  If he cared about the outcome of this game, which I am sure he did.  If he went to battle week after week with his fellow players, which we know he did.  If he cared about his fellow players, which I am sure he does, based on the fact that the other players obviously care about him.

Then in my opinion, he would want this came to be played and completed.  What ever the rest of us think is meaningless.   What would Damar want?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah it’s a logistical nightmare, but the integrity of the season feels bigger than worrying about logistics.  

Games could be set to any day that following week to accommodate stadium availability.  

"The integrity of the season" went out the window the second they postponed the game.  There is no actual way to set things right without disadvantaging somebody.  Postponing the game was the right decision, but now we're in a position of having to figure out how to choose among a variety of alternatives each of which is unfair to somebody.  

I'm always reluctant to make predictions about what the NFL will or won't do, but I'm very skeptical that the league will rearrange the entire rest of the season when they could just call it a forfeit or tie or whatever and be done with it.  

13 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think along your lines.  The Bills may come out with a statement that they will forfeit.  Say the league offered them a chance to replay and they declined.  

It just helps the league out of a tricky situation with the Bills taking the hit.  The Bills were behind and it was a Bills player that went down.  Plus there were rumors that McD wasn't bringing the team back out no matter what the league said.

While the Superbowl odds may decrease, the overall Bills brand will shine.  And there will be an undercurrent of support Nationwide.

The bills were behind but getting the ball to start the second half so that really doesn’t mean anything.  Given how easily we were moving the ball too it could’ve easily been a double dip scenario 

I find it hard to believe the bills were losing that game…any thought of ‘they should be happy if it goes down as a tie’ or ‘they wouldve lost the game if Hamlin didn’t get injured anyway so why not take the extra rest’ is not necessarily accurate imo.  It was going to be a shootout and the bengals have an immobile qb with a timebomb at RT.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, SinatraSinger said:

WHAT WOULD DAMAR WANT?

If he is the competitor that I believe him to be.  If he cared about the outcome of this game, which I am sure he did.  If he went to battle week after week with his fellow players, which we know he did.  If he cared about his fellow players, which I am sure he does, based on the fact that the other players obviously care about him.

Then in my opinion, he would want this came to be played and completed.  What ever the rest of us think is meaningless.   What would Damar want?

Weird to say "what ever the rest of us think is meaningless" but post your complete asserted opinion of what YOU think he thinks....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

"The integrity of the season" went out the window the second they postponed the game.  There is no actual way to set things right without disadvantaging somebody.  Postponing the game was the right decision, but now we're in a position of having to figure out how to choose among a variety of alternatives each of which is unfair to somebody.  

I'm always reluctant to make predictions about what the NFL will or won't do, but I'm very skeptical that the league will rearrange the entire rest of the season when they could just call it a forfeit or tie or whatever and be done with it.  

Push back the playoffs a week. Play week 18 as scheduled and the following week (what would have been WC weekend) let the Bills and Bengals resume their game.

• Agree 1

I think the NFL will reschedule this game to tomorrow/Thursday night and push the respective teams upcoming games further into next week. From there it will likely be buffalo's decision whether they want to forfeit or play. The circumstances and optics are horrible but it's the least intrusive way to try and contain this and minimize impacting the rest of the league IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

The more I think about it, the only scenario that seems plausible is the league offering a make-up date to continue the game, and the Bills declining and choosing to forfeit.

Any other scenario disadvantages too many other teams and, while that is far from the most important issue right now, it simply is something that won't be entertained in the name of competitive integrity.

• Agree 1

Just now, Airseven said:

Best case scenario, albeit unlikely, is restarting the game on Thursday and pushing BUF/NE and CIN/BAL to next Tuesday. Short of that, I think the only "fair" outcome here is to have the Bills forfeit the game. 

Maybe the NFL should see who was leading after ten minutes in every game and readjust the results. It's not "fair," though it may be expedient.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The more I think about it, the only scenario that seems plausible is the league offering a make-up date to continue the game, and the Bills declining and choosing to forfeit.

Any other scenario disadvantages too many other teams and, while that is far from the most important issue right now, it simply is something that won't be entertained in the name of competitive integrity.

I think the bengals would ‘forfeit’ too in solidarity based on how it’s been handled by them so far and it would go down as a tie 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The bills were behind but getting the ball to start the second half so that really doesn’t mean anything.  Given how easily we were moving the ball too it could’ve easily been a double dip scenario 

I agree that the game was by no means over.  But that was a secondary reason to forfeit.

McDermott should take the forfeit for the benefit of the league.  

He can say he wasn't bringing his team back out after what happened (and I believe he will be speaking the truth).  It was the Bills that weren't going to resume playing- regardless of what the league said.  So while the Bills appreciate the league actions the Bills will accept the consequences and forfeit the game.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Maybe the NFL should see who was leading after ten minutes in every game and readjust the results. It's not "fair," though it may be expedient.

The point is not who was leading. The point is that the Bills were dealt a hugely unfortunate circumstance and the Bengals shouldn't be penalized in any way. Yes, losing an opportunity to overtake the Bills would be a unfair penalty to them.

• Agree 1

The Bills forfeit this game.  Probably this coming weekend's game as well.  That gives the players time.  They become the #3 seed.  Clearly, life is more important than the game.  This scenario gives the players time to mentally and physically rest and do their best to regroup for the playoffs.  This gives them the bye week they would have had if being the #1 seed and if they win and things play out in their favor they can still have at least another home game.

I really don't think there's a reasonable scenario to play this game in a timely fashion.

And with regard to the most fairness to the league, you really want teams playing to win next week.

Here's my potential solution:

1. Cancel this game.

2. For fairness to all teams, if all of BUF, KC, CIN win next week, the solution might be to give KC the top seed but if KC and BUF as 1,2 meet for the championship game, they play at a neutral site like Indy with fans of both teams given an opportunity to buy half the tickets. Similarly, if BUF and CIN meet as 2 vs 3, they play at a neutral site. Should any team lose next week, we go strictly to winning percentage.

I think this gives all the outside teams a fair shot (reduces Bills/Bengals possibility to have top seed and removes Ravens possibility of winning division)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Most unpalatable thing about such a scenario is that Chiefs lost head to head to both teams involved … otherwise that’s the solution. It may still be, but perhaps a different decision will be reached. 

Yes, but in the event Cincinnati won last night - if the Chiefs won versus LV then they would have still been the #1 seed and still lost to both teams.

Yes it sucks, but I do not see any way the Bills/Cincinnati play a game Wednesday or Thursday and then turn around and play later next week because their games against NE and Baltimore impact seeding and therefore it would impact the entire 1st round of games and prep time and who is in.

They also are not going to get traction to skip back a week and have 1 game Bills/Cincinnati to finish while every other team has a bye and then expect either one or both to turn around with a massive disadvantage.

The easiest and most logical thing is to call it a no game and then go by win%.  Does it maybe help KC and maybe hurt Baltimore a bit - yep, but it keeps everything on track and allows the team time to recover.  Additionally, the Bills already won in Arrowhead and Cincinnati did it last year - so yes it is a small advantage, but either Buffalo or Cincinnati were already going to have to go through KC and there was still a chance that both would of needed to.

Win % has the smallest impact without forcing the Bills to immediately jump on a plane and re-live the experience before they have emotionally dealt with it.

The league will be working with the teams to discuss options and based upon how honorable Cincinnati handled it so far - I think they would be accepting of a no contest outcome even if it made them a 3 seed.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

My brother is in a championship game right now in this scenario!

He has Allen and Bass and he is playing against Burrow and is losing 97 to 90.7 when play stopped. 

That said I don't think the NFL cares about Fantasy that much. 

My son is in the same spot. In championship and Down by 9 going into the Bills/Bengals game, other team has nobody left, He has Allen,Diggs and the Cinci Kicker. Crazy situation.

I agree, they probably don't care much about fantasy football right now.

8 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I agree that the game was by no means over.  But that was a secondary reason to forfeit.

McDermott should take the forfeit for the benefit of the league.  

He can say he wasn't bringing his team back out after what happened (and I believe he will be speaking the truth).  It was the Bills that weren't going to resume playing- regardless of what the league said.  So while the Bills appreciate the league actions the Bills will accept the consequences and forfeit the game.

Assuming the ‘it was mcdermotts decision to not put his players out there to finish the game’ point is true ,  there’s no way I’d even consider doing anything to be an nfl company man after the actions of last night if I were McDermott.

in that scenario McDermott and Taylor stepped in and saved the NFL from making possibly the biggest blunder in sports history and that’s how you’re gonna repay his team who has battling through adversity all year? 

if the nfl decides on a makeup date and the bills decide not to play,  I’d leave it up to the bengals if they want the game to be treated as a forfeit or not but I would certainly not conclude a bills forfeit is the only option if I were the league . 

4 minutes ago, phypon said:

The Bills forfeit this game.  Probably this coming weekend's game as well.  That gives the players time.  They become the #3 seed.  Clearly, life is more important than the game.  This scenario gives the players time to mentally and physically rest and do their best to regroup for the playoffs.  This gives them the bye week they would have had if being the #1 seed and if they win and things play out in their favor they can still have at least another home game.

The league might allow the Bills to forfeit the Bengals game, but I doubt they allow them to forfeit the Pats game. The outcome of that game affects the Steelers and Dolphins as well.

2 minutes ago, Airseven said:

The point is not who was leading. The point is that the Bills were dealt a hugely unfortunate circumstance and the Bengals shouldn't be penalized in any way. Yes, losing an opportunity to overtake the Bills would be a unfair penalty to them.

Somehow I suspect the Bengals will show more dignity, compassion, and basic human decency and refuse the forfeit.

As I and others have suggested, the best feasible response is to cancel the game and figure seeding by win percentage.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LanderPoke said:

Seems the most plausible option is to cancel the game and do playoff seeding by win%. Thus giving the #1 seed to KC. Sucks.

Prayers for Hamlin

Unless they lose to the Raiders.  But yes, I think they need to just cancel the game all together and move on as normal as can be from there.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Greg S said:

The league might allow the Bills to forfeit the Bengals game, but I doubt they allow them to forfeit the Pats game. The outcome of that game affects the Steelers and Dolphins as well.

Yeah, I think you're right about that.  It's a sticky line for sure.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Honestly, they really can't reschedule the playoffs. The league makes its money off of tv contracts, and all of that space was bought and paid for months ago. It's literally hundreds of millions of dollars (three playoff rounds) that would need rearranging and renegotiating. It's far, far easier to simply say the game didn't happen and move on. It'll likely come down to winning percentage. They had a contingency plan for games being canceled because of covid in 2020, so there is precedent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

Give both Buf and Cin a Tie.

Allow 1 more team the playoff a spot for this scenario. and give the 1 & 2 seed a BYE week. 

Next week's game will count 

Would Cinci get the 2 seed if they won and bills lost next week? If so this is an extremely fair resolution with all three teams still able to get the bye. I like this a lot.

10 hours ago, Locomark said:

I just don’t see how they play the Bengals game with Hamlin’s true status not being known for days or maybe a full week or more.

A. I prefer they give both KC and the Bills a Bye and kill the #7 seed in the AFC. 
I know the NFL will never do this because it’s 1 less playoff game. 

B. If the Bills and Chiefs both win next weekend, we are 13-3, Chiefs 14-3, Bengals 12-4.  they could rank Bills and KC 1 and 2 based on conference %. Though this really screws the Bengals because they didn’t get their shot at us. (Chiefs would 9-3, Bills better at 9-2, FYI Bengals are 8-3) 

C. They can select by plain win % then KC gets the 1 seed (assuming they win Saturday) and we get the 2 seed. Now we get stuck with an extra game and no bye through no fault of our own, which makes me push back to my option A because why should we be punished for an act of god? 

Other ideas? 

The best idea is probably to give the entire league a week off this is a NFL issue not just the Bills . After that call the Bills Bengals game a complete wash no nobody gets a win or loss . Once they proceed with week 18 the KC vs Raiders game needs to also be canceled therefore they won’t play an extra game then the Bills . This has to be the most fair way to proceed because it still gives the teams behind the Pats a chance to make the playoffs and it sets up Balt vs Cinny for the AFC north title and gives the Bills there chance at winning the conference and home field advantage.  

• Dislike 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Somehow I suspect the Bengals will show more dignity, compassion, and basic human decency and refuse the forfeit.

As I and others have suggested, the best feasible response is to cancel the game and figure seeding by win percentage.

or they could play the game asap. I know it's tough. and I think the players/coaches should be the ones making this decision. But I do think many are underestimating the will some of the players would have to play. 

with the family making a statement later, that probably would go a long way towards how the players would feel about that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.