Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

Just now, PetermansRedemption said:

How about a double forfeit; with both teams losing. I’ve seen the forfeit scenario thrown around where you punish the forfeiting team, so why isn’t a scenario where you reward them equally as plausible? If you are going to do anything to either of these teams, impact them positively, not negatively. 

Why don't you double win them, instead of double forfeiting?  Give them both a win, yes, Chiefs fans won't be happy, and Ravens fans won't be happy, but it is what it is.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nineforty said:

I bet the majority would vote to play. just guessing. but I agree it should be up to them. 

They would have to play today or Wednesday the latest. Would the NFL be willing to postpone Bills and Bengals week 18 games to Monday?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

It's against the CBA... you can't create a competitive advantage. 

Too late.  That ship sailed as soon as they decided to postpone the game last night.  There is literally no solution at this point that doesn't create a competitive advantage for somebody. 

Right now, the league should be thinking about how to minimize the damage.  There is a very high likelihood that they'll determine that the least-bad outcome is to give the Bills a forfeit.  That will suck as a fan, but it will just be Bills fans who are put out by that decision and most of us will be okay with it.  Fans of CIN, KC, BAL, NE, MIA, and JAX are all fine with that approach.  It's a better all-around solution than trying to squeeze in a makeup game in the middle of the week, or rescheduling the playoffs, or stuff like that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Weren’t the Bengals 22-0 up against the Pats last week, yet were a Stevenson fumble away from losing the game come the end of the fourth quarter? And look at Colts-Vikings. How anyone can say we were bound to lose down 7-3 in the first quarter beats me.

Hold the Bengals to a field goal there… march back down and score a TD… 10-10 on two possessions each. Cincy got ball first. We were struggling on defense, but our offense moved the ball with ease too. If Beas makes that catch, it’s a tie game when postponed.  Whatever though… 

You can’t hand the Bengals a win 1/8 of the way through the game… unless they mandate the game must be played this week and Buff forfeits. I just don’t think the Bills care about a win at this point, nor should they. 

The NFL has a tough decision ahead… and many people will be upset by it… we will see true colors of fans of all teams, despite these same people claiming they only care about Damar. 

Just now, BillyBilliams said:

Why don't you double win them, instead of double forfeiting?  Give them both a win, yes, Chiefs fans won't be happy, and Ravens fans won't be happy, but it is what it is.  

This is what I meant to post. Forfeit with both teams getting the victory. Just edited my original post. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

Too late.  That ship sailed as soon as they decided to postpone the game last night.  There is literally no solution at this point that doesn't create a competitive advantage for somebody. 

Right now, the league should be thinking about how to minimize the damage.  There is a very high likelihood that they'll determine that the least-bad outcome is to give the Bills a forfeit.  That will suck as a fan, but it will just be Bills fans who are put out by that decision and most of us will be okay with it.  Fans of CIN, KC, BAL, NE, MIA, and JAX are all fine with that approach.  It's a better all-around solution than trying to squeeze in a makeup game in the middle of the week, or rescheduling the playoffs, or stuff like that.

I'm not so sure I think that the NFL wants the PR blowback that would come with forcing the Bills to forfeit a game because one of their players nearly died on the field.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

How about a double forfeit; with both teams winning. I’ve seen the forfeit scenario thrown around where you punish the forfeiting team, so why isn’t a scenario where you reward them equally as plausible? If you are going to do anything to either of these teams, impact them positively, not negatively. 

Because Chiefs Nation will go ballistic. Not that I care about that..

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

Again, if this happens, why wouldn’t the Bills turn around and say “then we forfeit against NE”. Who cares if you get the 2 or 3 seed, take the extra week or rest. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

First, prayers for Damar, his family and friends, and everyone else impacted by the horrific game last night.  So awful!

Re this thread, are teams allowed to unilaterally forfeit multiple games?  I could see the Bills contemplating doing so, but is it against the rules?

The NFL sure wouldn’t like it, but I’m not sure what the official rules are.

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

A. Not Miami

B. How about Vegas? Gamblers? Fantasy Football Championships? This is millions, perhaps a billion, between those things. This game is going to get scheduled to play.

4 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Even if the game isn't played, if we win next week and KC loses we have a better win % and are the #1 seed.  Recheck your math (or the playoff machine, which for me is showing in that scenario we are #1.)

If we go off win % vs winning games which would have to change the structure of the playoffs, this puts Miami in and nE out. 

But you're right if done by %

Also what's interesting is they blacked out the MNF game last night. Ominous. 

Edited by boyst

3 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Because Chiefs Nation will go ballistic. Not that I care about that..

If another team’s fanbase takes issue with both of the teams that experienced what Cincinnati and Buffalo experienced on Monday , getting a win, then screw that teams fan base completely.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

If its mutual why not call it a tie and how does that change seeding? 

The Ravens won’t have a chance of winning the division; they would if we beat the Bengals.

It also means the Chiefs hold the number one spot. If the Bills had beaten the Bengals, they would be heading he conference going into the game against the Pats.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm not so sure I think that the NFL wants the PR blowback that would come with forcing the Bills to forfeit a game because one of their players nearly died on the field.

I don't think the Bills organization will object to this decision.  Everything I've seen from the Pegulas, Beane, and McDermott tells me that they are mature adults who will bite the bullet on this because it's in the best interests of the league collectively.

Obviously I'd also be fine with giving both teams wins or going on winning percentages too.  I'm just pushing back on the argument that this game "has" to be made up.  It doesn't, and that's not even a good option.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Again just playing devil‘S advocate here but why should the Bills forfeit the game or take the loss? Both teams decided to go to the locker room. 

Has anyone asked the Bengals if they want to play on Wed, risk losing, and then play the Ravens 4 days later with the division on the line?

What if both teams mutually decide we aren’t playing this game this week. Period. 

That's a reasonable position also.  If we're forgetting what happened and are strictly talking about what would be better for both teams - a double forfeit might be the best outcome.  I don't like the idea of packing games into a tight window this close to the playoffs.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Again, if this happens, why wouldn’t the Bills turn around and say “then we forfeit against NE”. Who cares if you get the 2 or 3 seed, take the extra week or rest. 

So what if they do?  Every team in the league theoretically has that option right now.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

If we go off win % vs winning games which would have to change the structure of the playoffs, specifically for ties. 

But you're right if done by %

Also what's interesting is they blacked out the MNF game last night. Ominous. 

Even if it's not done by win %, if last night remains unplayed, and we win next week and KC loses we have the same number of wins, and we have the tiebreaker over them.

7 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

This is what I meant to post. Forfeit with both teams getting the victory. Just edited my original post. 

That isn't a forfeit. The NFL won't give out wins not earned. They either say the Bills forfeit, or declare a "no contest" as if the game was never played. A Bills forfeit is the cleanest result for the league. Not so great for us.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

That isn't a forfeit. The NFL won't give out wins not earned. They either say the Bills forfeit, or declare a "no contest" as of the game was never played. A Bills forfeit is the cleanest result for the league. Not so great for us.

Why isn’t it a Bengals forfeit to?

Both teams agreed “we can’t play this game.”

The season is getting put on pause.  

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Uh, who the hell cares?

I mean probably the owners? This is a business and the owners will have to decide amongst themselves along with the NFLPA how to handle it. I doubt screwing 2 owners will be palatable. Not to mention the Pegulas would have to come up with some sort of refund for the whole game.

Edited by DapperCam

Again, I don't see the league putting a forfeit on the Bills for this.  It seems very crass and wouldn't be good PR.  They shouldnt get a loss because it was their player who happened to go into cardiac arrest and everyone involved in the game was too emotionally drained to even think about continuing the game.

The Bengals would look bad too because if a forfeit was given, they would essentially need to say/admit that they wanted to finish the game but the Bills refused to.  

My bet would be on this not being played nor counted in the standings.  It isn't so clean, but it is the easiest path.

Edited by May Day 10

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

That isn't a forfeit. The NFL won't give out wins not earned. They either say the Bills forfeit, or declare a "no contest" as of the game was never played. A Bills forfeit is the cleanest result for the league. Not so great for us.

I just can’t see a forfeit…I think the nfl will choose a potential makeup date and leave it up to the teams whether they want to play.  given how the bengals have handled things so far I doubt they’d push for the game to be played which is what it would take for the game to be treated as a bills forfeit imo. And if the nfl decides not to have a game it’s not going to be treated as a forfeit 

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I mean probably the owners? This is a business and the owners will have to decide amongst themselves along with the NFLPA how to handle it. I doubt screwing 2 owners will be palatable. Not to mention the Pegulas would have to come up with some sort of refund for the whole game.

I wonder if the league and owners carry insurance to cover such losses?

6 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If another team’s fanbase takes issue with both of the teams that experienced what Cincinnati and Buffalo experienced on Monday , getting a win, then screw that teams fan base completely.

Agree 100%.. but you and I both know, in a few days, if this is the outcome and the Chiefs miss their #1 seed, there will be outrage… and all of a sudden the focus won’t be on Hamlin anymore, but the #1 seed. It’s the ugly reality.

• Agree 1

What would be amazing to see… the Bengals forfeit this game to the Bills … in turn, the Chiefs forfeit their game to the Raiders, the Ravens forfeit their game to the Bengals and the Bills, in turn, forfeit their game to the Patriots this Sunday, all at great expense to some teams, but an unbelievable act of sportsmanship and human decency, all to help level the playing field and get the NFL out of a serious bind. It basically locks in the teams that were in the playoffs before the injury occurred and in the seeding that they were in. …. At least I think I did it right 🤔 

• Like (+1) 1

Also; and this may actually be the best option:

Play all the games this weekend. Push the Bills/Bengals to week 19 (push the playoffs back one week) as a stand alone game. The Bills/Bengals game will be two weeks removed from Hamlin who will have hopefully recovered by then. Bills/Bengals is a game that by itself has huge implications on standings

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Ponch said:

What would be amazing to see… the Bengals forfeit this game to the Bills … in turn, the Chiefs forfeit their game to the Raiders, the Ravens forfeit their game to the Bengals and the Bills, in turn, forfeit their game to the Patriots this Sunday, all at great expense to some teams, but an unbelievable act of sportsmanship and human decency, all to help level the playing field and get the NFL out of a serious bind. It basically locks in the teams that were in the playoffs before the injury occurred and in the seeding that they were in. …. At least I think I did it right 🤔 

No way the NFL allows that 

12 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

A. Not Miami

B. How about Vegas? Gamblers? Fantasy Football Championships? This is millions, perhaps a billion, between those things. This game is going to get scheduled to play.

So cancel the games this week.

Resume the Bills-Bengals the following Sunday as the only game, on a neutral field, in Cleveland, since the Bills won't want to play on the same turf where the incident occurred. This will also make up for the Bill giving up a home game to play in Detroit earleir this year. They game starts at 0-0 from the start of the first quarter, to give everyone a fresh start, free of the memories from last night. Half the tickets go to each team.

The Week 18 games are the followlng week.

All the playoff weeks are pushed back one week. The NFL has done it before, after 9-11.

Makes most people happy.

Edited by chongli

22 minutes ago, boyst said:

I'm saying if the game isn't played. Which I don't expect it to be. 

If thats the case and a win is impossible then I'd imagine the Bills would rather take the forfeit than no game played as it gives them the highest probability to still get the 1st seed.

Edited by What a Tuel

8 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't think the Bills organization will object to this decision.  Everything I've seen from the Pegulas, Beane, and McDermott tells me that they are mature adults who will bite the bullet on this because it's in the best interests of the league collectively.

Obviously I'd also be fine with giving both teams wins or going on winning percentages too.  I'm just pushing back on the argument that this game "has" to be made up.  It doesn't, and that's not even a good option.

I think along your lines.  The Bills may come out with a statement that they will forfeit.  Say the league offered them a chance to replay and they declined.  

It just helps the league out of a tricky situation with the Bills taking the hit.  The Bills were behind and it was a Bills player that went down.  Plus there were rumors that McD wasn't bringing the team back out no matter what the league said.

While the Superbowl odds may decrease, the overall Bills brand will shine.  And there will be an undercurrent of support Nationwide.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.