Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Yep. I can see the Bills forfeiting this game and resting the starters against the Pats.

I can't see the NFL making the Bills forfeit against the Bengals especially after the coaches mutually agreed. I could see a scenario that if the Bills don't want to play the Patriots that being a forfeit but man that guarantees the Patriots in the playoffs and wouldn't set well with the Dolphins and Steelers. 

If you call it a no contest or a tie, the Chiefs get the one off the basis of a near death experience cancelling a game. I don't think the NFL wants that either. 

Conference record seems like the best way to go with it but it screws the Bengals out of an opportunity to get the 1 Seed by not playing the Bills. 

To me the logical, and it works in the Bills favor, is to go by point differential of AFC Teams played pending all 3 teams win next week. I don't know if the NFL would go down that road but either way tough decision for the NFL in multiple avenues. 

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

That's nothing, some people call the game after the first series in the game thread.

These are the people who, when faced with any kind of adversity, curl up in the fetal position and give up.

Thank goodness their kind doesn’t play for the Bills

Just now, Locomark said:

I thought about this and that they move the pro bowl to the day before the Super Bowl. 

There is way to much logistically and financially for them to do this. I would be shocked if they moved the entire schedule a week.  Think of all the ticket purchases, travel arrangements for teams and fans, hotels, airlines, everything would be a cluster across the nfl if they did this.  In a glass bowl this is a great idea, but unfortunately I think the bills take an L for the Bengals game, and then they pushed the Pats game to MNF again to give them as much time as possible.  

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Still football remaining to be played that would determine the outcome. Nitpicking individual plays from past games is a fools errand. 

It's not folks errand when the statement was we didn't get a fair chance.  We did get and messed it up. Not getting the 1 seed would be on its no matter what happens with this awful situation. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

"Forfeit" is one type of cancellation though.

When referring to game outcomes, I don't believe it is.

1. Played - you get a W or L based on the outcome

2. Forfeited - the forfeiting team takes the L

3. Cancellation - it's stricken from record completely; neither team gets a W or L

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The problem with pushing the playoffs back a week and removing the extra week before the Super Bowl is that we are all just assuming the Bills are even ready to play next week. I'm sure the NFL would like them to play the Patriots this Sunday, as not playing them would create even more chaos in the fight for the last wild card spot. But I think for the Bills to be ready to play this Sunday they will need to get some really positive news on their teammate first. 

The Bills are in a position that they can easily skip these last two games before the playoffs start. 

if positive news is coming it will be within the next several days.  It sounds like his heart function returned to normal last night but they will leave him intubated for a few days to monitor things so he is not out of the woods yet. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That's nothing, some people call the game after the first series in the game thread.

These are the people who, when faced with any kind of adversity, curl up in the fetal position and give up.

It’s funny but how many times have the Bills had a TD scored on them in the first series in the last 3 years. It seems like a ton. I almost always say “well it will get better that’s just the Bills”, no matter who the opponent is. I was not writing this game off by any means. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I didn’t want to talk about fantasy football tonight, but I won my championships on THAT play. I was down 1.7, and Higgins is the only player either of us had tonight. With Higgins rec and 13 yards, I won. Now that’s some *****. But I don’t know now complicated this gets if the game is actually canceled instead of being suspended/delayed as is currently the case.

I donot want to talk FF…but I will as I won👍

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There is no way that the Bills will be forced to take a forfeit because one of their players nearly died on the field (and we still have no idea of ultimate outcome yet).

Exactly. And there is equally no way I can see them instructing the teams to pkay while Damar remains in an induced coma. It isn't just the impact of that ob Bills players either.... it is every person who was on that field.

So you get to the option of play it as a stand alone week 19 and push everything else back and honestly, not sure how that helps other, I suppose, than the principle that every game must be played. 

24 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Speaking with all emotion removed, I’m not sure why Goodall is obsessed with finishing the game within two days, if that tweet is correct.

Let week 18 play out as normal. Bills-Bengals then finish their game on 12th January. The wildcard weekend is pushed back to weekend of 21st January and the week’s gap between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl is removed.

Of course, whether the Bills will be ready to play Sunday is another question altogether at the moment.

But if KC wins Sunday and so dose CIN , the bengals really want have nothing to play for. Is there really a big difference between 2 seed and 3. 

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

When referring to game outcomes, I don't believe it is.

1. Played - you get a W or L based on the outcome

2. Forfeited - the forfeiting team takes the L

3. Cancellation - it's stricken from record completely; neither team gets a W or L

I'm just talking about not playing last night's game.  I don't care what term the league uses for it.

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I can't see the NFL making the Bills forfeit against the Bengals especially after the coaches mutually agreed.. 

The Bengals mutually agreed to never pay the game? I haven't seen that reported.

Bengals agreed to postpone last night. But haven't seen any detail they agreed not to resume play.

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think the NFL will do everything in its power to have this game played Wed night. Then they would push Bills-Pats and Ravens-Bengals to Monday. I guess it will depend on if the players/coaches feel able to play by then. We won’t know about Hamlin’s status by then I don’t think.

If the game were to be played Wed they wouldn’t have sent the Bills home. They would be flying back today. 

10 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yeah you're right I went too far judging people. I apologise. It isn't either/or. But the point is that I don't get why people are so adamant on playing the game just to make sure it's "fair" when it is more than clear that there are no good solutions available (and to me, cancelling the game is clearly the best / most simple one).

For me it’s more that the players fought through so much adversity all year that they deserve a shot at competing for that top spot should they want that chance.  It doesn’t at all matter what we want I would certainly agree with you there.  I’d like to see them at least get the option to complete the game even if they turn it down 

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

It's not folks errand when the statement was we didn't get a fair chance.  We did get and messed it up. Not getting the 1 seed would be on its no matter what happens with this awful situation. 

Not completing the entire season = not a fair chance. If the Bills choose to not complete it through forfeit that is fair. Both teams did not want to continue last night and that is fair too. See where this is going? Any other solution will likely not be completely fair to all involved and that makes it difficult. 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, foreboding said:

How about 1 seed gets bye and 2 seed gets home field this year? Based on winning %.

I feel like if you did this you’d have to then give the 1 seed the option if they want the bye or home field. The 2 seed gets the other option. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Not completing the entire season = not a fair chance. If the Bills choose to not complete it through forfeit that is fair. Both teams did not want to continue last night and that is fair too. See where this is going? Any other solution will likely not be completely fair to all involved and that makes it difficult. 

The NFL would hate it, but I view a forfeit this week as a package deal with next week. If you are forfeiting the Bengals game then give the Patriots the W, rest up, and take some extra mental health time. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The problem with pushing the playoffs back a week and removing the extra week before the Super Bowl is that we are all just assuming the Bills are even ready to play next week. I'm sure the NFL would like them to play the Patriots this Sunday, as not playing them would create even more chaos in the fight for the last wild card spot. But I think for the Bills to be ready to play this Sunday they will need to get some really positive news on their teammate first. 

The Bills are in a position that they can easily skip these last two games before the playoffs start. 

I don’t want to come off as an ass but the Bills have no other choice but to play on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2

I know it seems heartless but I feel like the NFL has to make/announce a decision today in regards to this game but also the week 18 schedule and playoff situation. Again, it may seem inappropriate but the playoffs are still going to go on and you need to give all parties involved ample time to adjust if needed. The NFL hurts themselves more times than not but they are probably in a no-win situation here

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The playoffs are pushed back so one game is played between Bills and Bengals after week 18? 

Yes. Everyone gets a bye (a mini bye in the case of Bills and Bengals, if neither get the number one seed) before the play offs rather than before the Super Bowl.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

There is way to much logistically and financially for them to do this. I would be shocked if they moved the entire schedule a week.  Think of all the ticket purchases, travel arrangements for teams and fans, hotels, airlines, everything would be a cluster across the nfl if they did this.  In a glass bowl this is a great idea, but unfortunately I think the bills take an L for the Bengals game, and then they pushed the Pats game to MNF again to give them as much time as possible.  

They could push the bengals bills to the first week of the playoffs and move the playoffs a week forward. None of the playoff games are known so you aren’t moving anyone those weeks. Those stadium dates aren’t known either so the teams and fans don’t know those dates or have flights either. Isn’t there a Super Bowl gap week?  the only thing affected is the Pro Bowl then.

2 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Yeah, they would. It is a short hop.

Yea…idk why people are assuming it’s easy to book like 100 hotel rooms at the last possible minute. Even if they knew they’d have to come back to Cincinnati Tuesday they probably would’ve flown home last night still so that’s not proof of anything either way 

Do we think bills coaches and players are watching film from yesterday? Even brief there was some good stuff on tape. The Bengals OL held. A lot. And the chance to rush the middle was there.

I think we can alter the gameplan based on what I saw. 

Just now, Beast said:

I don’t want to come off as an ass but the Bills have no other choice but to play on Sunday.

No, i mostly agree.

1. I think the players and coaches will want to. It's how they are wired and it would be a distraction from the circumstances. Even if Hamlin's condition does not change between now and then or even gets worse, the likely feel the need and want to play come Sunday.

2. Not playing really screws up the playoffs even more.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 97bills said:

But if KC wins Sunday and so dose CIN , the bengals really want have nothing to play for. Is there really a big difference between 2 seed and 3. 

Yes .. 2 seed guaranteed 2 home games and cannot meet #1 until Championship game . Fairly big difference 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Come on. We saw the Taron injury. And burrow throwing dimes (he’s 4-4) directly at our best corner.

And us coming up short on throws. You could see the direction clearly. Our secondary can’t hang. Which was made clear on the opening PI call for 30 yards. 

oh by the way, it’s currently 7-3 and the Bengals are on our 48 with a 1st down. 

Yes, we had definitely lost.

Have no idea why the Vikings didn’t pack up and leave halfway through the game against the Colts either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.