Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

For the people saying "forfeit forfeit" that's also disrespectful to Damar Hamlin and the sacrifices he made to be on the team and he helped the Bills become number one seed this year.

Just flat out disrespectful and abysmal.

I disagree with the disrespect.  I believe if Hamlin was fine and it happened to another player he, like his teammates, would have a hard time playing on without knowing the players status one way or the other.  So if the options were (and they are not) play Wednesday or forfeit m, you take the L.  Because caring about your brother is a hell of a lot more important than playoff seeding. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Locomark said:

I just don’t see how they play the Bengals game with Hamlin’s true status not being known for days or maybe a full week or more.

A. I prefer they give both KC and the Bills a Bye and kill the #7 seed in the AFC. 
I know the NFL will never do this because it’s 1 less playoff game. 

B. If the Bills and Chiefs both win next weekend, we are 13-3, Chiefs 14-3, Bengals 12-4.  they could rank Bills and KC 1 and 2 based on conference %. Though this really screws the Bengals because they didn’t get their shot at us. (Chiefs would 9-3, Bills better at 9-2, FYI Bengals are 8-3) 

C. They can select by plain win % then KC gets the 1 seed (assuming they win Saturday) and we get the 2 seed. Now we get stuck with an extra game and no bye through no fault of our own, which makes me push back to my option A because why should we be punished for an act of god? 

Other ideas? 

I posted about this last night and the post got pulled, although I believe I showed all due respect at the moment.

if it finishes: KC 14-3, buf  13-3, Cincy 12-4, then the 1, 2 and 3 seeding is fine.

However, my suggestion was if the Bills meet the Bengals in the second round it should maybe be at a neutral site.

Right or wrong, I don’t know, but it would be the classy and fair thing to do, also given how much Cincy was on board with, “no we are done tonight.”

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

How is NOT fair to KC?

They lost to us and Cincinnati in head to head this year. That means a helluva lot more than overall winning percentage. And our 12-3 record is pretty darn good, too.

it is also not fair to Cinci.. because if KC loses -- and Cinci would have won this game--- they would be #1 seed if they would beat the Ravens. 

Its not fair to KC because this win we didnt earn where KC has earned all 14 wins if they beat the Raiders. 

No matter what the NFL does--- their will not be a fair resolution for everyone

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

I disagree with the disrespect.  I believe if Hamlin was fine and it happened to another player he, like his teammates, would have a hard time playing on without knowing the players status one way or the other.  So if the options were (and they are not) play Wednesday or forfeit m, you take the L.  Because caring about your brother is a hell of a lot more important than playoff seeding. 

You're a Pats Fan.

You're in here talking about seeding and talking about us forfeiting through the view of a Pats Fan.

Just now, Buffalo Ballin said:

For the people saying "forfeit forfeit" that's also disrespectful to Damar Hamlin and the sacrifices he made to be on the team and he helped the Bills become number one seed this year.

I completely disagree.  If the NFL had said the game must go on (which they didn’t) then coaches and players have a decision to make-both teams. I seriously doubt they wanted to continue and as Booger stated,” Nobody wants to be entertained with this game right now” 

luckily it did t come to this, but with so many fans even thinking the NFL would dictate it’s played that should be a wake up call about “the shield”. 

At the point it was realized how serious it was the players and staff had made the decision to focus on Hamlin-which is the ultimate show of respect 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Nobody is disrespecting anybody.  We're just thinking through how to navigate an unprecedented situation with as little unfairness as possible.  Getting all emotional doesn't help.

You can’t move those games to next Thursday without impacting the playoff schedule (which could be done).  Either the Pats or bengals/Ravens loser playing on 2 days rest in the wild card?  If you are going to move the playoffs, you might as well make up the Bills/Bengals game in week 19 and get rid of the unnecessary 2 week break between conference championships and the Super Bowl.

Honestly, every other scenario besides just canceling the game seems far fetched to me. If you cancel the game you don’t disrupt dozens of schedules and you give the team a full week to get news and try to process what has happened before taking the field again. Playoff positions stay as is, which is disappointing for both Buffalo and Cincinnati but it is what it is.

• Agree 3

Taking another L is an ultimate show of respect for Damar Hamlin? That's just flat out wrong.

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

Nobody is disrespecting anybody.  We're just thinking through how to navigate an unprecedented situation with as little unfairness as possible.  Getting all emotional doesn't help.

Then write logical. Again, how is forcing us to take another L, to forfeit, is a sign of utmost respect for Damar Hamlin?

My younger sister went through virtually the same thing in 2015 (not football of course and longer story)-they put you out and drop your core temperature down to like 88 degrees. It happened on a Saturday night and she moved her big toe on Wednesday when the Doctor spoke to her-positive outcome. Needless to say, but this will likely not be resolved soon.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

My guess is that this game will not be played and win % will be used.

First of all it is very confusing to me why there isn't some clear NFL rule on this (maybe it is, but it doesn't seem to be). I mean there are many reasons why a game could be cancelled, like weather, terrorist attack, serious injury like this one, etc. League should have at least some basic rules.

Anyway, if it is up to NFL, I think what you say is clearly the best and most simple solution. Game is cancelled, nobody takes W or L, both teams play only 16 games and for seeding win % is used. We end up seed 2 most likely, but who cares. It's nobody's fault, vis maior happened. It gives time to the players to take some mental rest and they can prepare on Pats game (hopefully with some good news about Hamlin received meanwhile). And if they don't feel like playing on Sunday, just forfeit the Pats game (taking an L) and somehow get ready before playofs.

I mean there are other solutions in this thread that would make some sense but require lots of postponing, and usually affect too many teams. Just take the most simple solution and be done with it.

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

And that's why we watch the games. That's why they play. Let the process reveal who has the highest score.

So you don't have any personal opinions on who may or may not win the SB?  I'm not disrespecting the work the players put in, I just think the Bills are held back by coaching.  

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Stretch said:

You can’t move those games to next Thursday without impacting the playoff schedule (which could be done).  Either the Pats or bengals/Ravens loser playing on 2 days rest in the wild card?  If you are going to move the playoffs, you might as well make up the Bills/Bengals game in week 19 and get rid of the unnecessary 2 week break between conference championships and the Super Bowl.

When you think through how this would work, I honestly think taking a forfeit is "better" for the Bills than trying to make up this game.  I'd rather just have the #2 or #3 seed than have to play another game with multiple quick turnarounds.  

3 minutes ago, vincec said:

Honestly, every other scenario besides just canceling the game seems far fetched to me. If you cancel the game you don’t disrupt dozens of schedules and you give the team a full week to get news and try to process what has happened before taking the field again. Playoff positions stay as is, which is disappointing for both Buffalo and Cincinnati but it is what it is.

This is overwhelmingly the most likely outcome. I'd say better than 90% chance thie happens.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

You're a Pats Fan.

You're in here talking about seeding and talking about us forfeiting through the view of a Pats Fan.

I’ve said repeatedly they should schedule for after the Pats game.  I gave the other scenario as an option, never said it was likely or right.. just an option.  The one for it happening after thePats game seems the most logical, move everything back a week for playoffs and the winner be the #1 seed if everyone wins this weekend. 

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

When you think through how this would work, I honestly think taking a forfeit is "better" for the Bills than trying to make up this game.  I'd rather just have the #2 or #3 seed than have to play another game with multiple quick turnarounds.  

I don't think they need to take a forfeit. They just don't count the game. Bills and Bengals play a 16 game schedule and you use win % for seeding.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Assuming we get a report on Damar today or tomorrow I could see us finishing the game Thursday and then the Bills Patriots/Ravens Bengals games moved to next Thursday. 

And then a playoff game on Saturday or Sunday for someone?

• Disagree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't think they need to take a forfeit. They just don't count the game. Bills and Bengals play a 16 game schedule and you use win % for seeding.

It is the most prudent decision which is not the most perfect but the best of what is possible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Extend the number of play off teams to eight in the NFC and AFC, and remove the bye for the number one seed. The Chiefs, Bengals and Bills will face each other on a neutral field if/when a match up comes to pass. Then the Bills-Bengals game can be decided on a coin toss without an impact on the bye and home field advantage.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Taking another L is an ultimate show of respect for Damar Hamlin? That's just flat out wrong.

Then write logical. Again, how is forcing us to take another L, to forfeit, is a sign of utmost respect for Damar Hamlin?

This isn't about how best to honor Damar Hamlin.  It's about finding a solution for the rest of the season that 32 teams will consider reasonably equitable.  It may be that the fairest, most equitable solution is to treat it as a Bills forfeit.  That's not the outcome that I'm hoping for, but it's not like it throws the universe out of alignment or anything -- it's the same outcome as if we had just lost a tough game to a good opponent.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I’ve said repeatedly they should schedule for after the Pats game.  I gave the other scenario as an option, never said it was likely or right.. just an option.  The one for it happening after thePats game seems the most logical, move everything back a week for playoffs and the winner be the #1 seed if everyone wins this weekend. 

In reality if you're going to speculate on replaying this game it would make more sense to skip the Patriots game and have the Bills play the Bengals next weekend because the Patriots game against the Bills does not matter much, at least the Bengals/Ravens game matters a little more but... If you want far fetched and a Bills lens than cancel the Bills/Pats game and Ravens/Bengals game. And have Buffalo at next weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

In reality if you're going to speculate on replaying this game it would make more sense to skip the Patriots game and have the Bills play the Bengals next weekend because the Patriots game against the Bills does not matter much, at least the Bengals/Ravens game matters a little more but... If you want far fetched and a Bills lens than cancel the Bills/Pats game and Ravens/Bengals game. And have Buffalo at next weekend. 

Patriots-Bills has a bearing on the seventh seed - if the Patriots win they’re in. If not, and one of the Dolphins, Steelers or Titans win, then they’re out.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Patriots-Bills has a bearing on the seventh seed - if the Patriots win they’re in. If not, and one of the Dolphins, Steelers or Titans win, then they’re out.

7th seed < 1st seed

The first seed matters more. And the Patriots aren't important 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

Pats game matters to the Dolphins, Steelers, Pats, and technically Jaguars still though. All are looking at playoff implications with the result of our game against the Pats. 

The Pats game means a lot for the final playoff spot. Pats win they are in. (Lol as unlikely as that is) Pats lose and Miami wins they are in, both lose and Pitt wins they are in.. so yes the outcome does matter for a team to make the playoffs.. FYI I DONT want my Pats in I want them out of the playoffs they are not good enough. 

7th seed < 1st seed

The first seed matters more. And the Patriots aren't important 

They may not be important to you. Just like the other 31 teams, they are important to the NFL. And in some ways the seventh seed is more important than the first. Whatever happens, the Chiefs, Bills and Bengals are in the post season. The Pats, Dolphins, Steelers and Titans are not.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, vincec said:

Agreed. We wrote the same thing within a minute. It is by far the best solution. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

This isn't about how best to honor Damar Hamlin.  It's about finding a solution for the rest of the season that 32 teams will consider reasonably equitable.  It may be that the fairest, most equitable solution is to treat it as a Bills forfeit.  That's not the outcome that I'm hoping for, but it's not like it throws the universe out of alignment or anything -- it's the same outcome as if we had just lost a tough game to a good opponent.

I humbly disagree.

Forfeiting does throw the NFL universe out of alignment: we're not the number one seed anymore. Every little detail matters. So we're not just disrespecting Damar Hamlin, but also Josh Allen, Von Miller, Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, Dion Dawkins, Poyer, Milano, Knox, the rest of the team, the coaching staff and trainers, Buffalo Bills fans, and the city of Buffalo.

Can't forfeit a game when the actual game ended in mid first quarter. Here are the options I'm getting from this thread:

1) Continue the game somewhere (which seems impossible).

2) Give us and Cincinnati a W.

3) Coin flip

Take your pick.

• Disagree 1

38 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

They should. They're not getting punished, but they're not getting rewarded either. It's a neutral move. No harm done.

It penalizes them. They were the favorite to win that game last night and were literally leading in the game.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If the game is canceled, flip a coin.  Best of 3. 

Makes sense logically but doesn't sit well with me, even if we win the toss. 

Forfeiting is out of the question. Is that what Hamlin would've wanted? Hell no. Loser mentality. "Just give it to em". 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Forfeit should be a non-starter.  This team has worked too hard to be essentially punished for a circumstance beyond anyone's control

If the Titans weren't forced to forfeit a game or multiple games a few years ago....and instead a handful of teams were negatively impacted

How can the league possibly justify a forfeit here

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Airseven said:

It penalizes them. They were the favorite to win that game last night and were literally leading in the game.

? Vegas had the Bills as the favorites to win last night unless the line shifted at the last minute and I didn't catch it.

The game ended mid first quarter. Score was 7-3, Cincinnati. Can't call the game. Too small sample size. If it was 3rd quarter, maybe.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

I overheard on Good Morning Football a tweet from Shaq Lawson stating he is an emotional wreck. I agree with DrJax comments about the trauma of witnessing this is something you probably can’t  just brush off. 

I can’t see this game being played in a day or two. I can’t fathom asking asking the team to fly back to Cinci and play while Damar is still in ICU.

Whatever the Nfl decides I’m fine with. The whole incident just makes me sick to my stomach. At some point though I would think the decision needs to be made rather quickly with a Pats game looming. I don’t even know how the team shifts focus to the next game which does mean something to the Pats. 

Just now, Buffalo Ballin said:

? Vegas had the Bills as the favorites to win last night.

The game ended mid first quarter. Score was 7-3, Cincinnati. Can't call the game. Too small sample size. If it was 3rd quarter, maybe.

I’m not referring to Vegas odds. I’m referring to the reality of what was occurring on the field.

I do understand this “neutral” outcome is the preference here because it prevents the Bills from getting beat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.