Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

A Wednesday to Sunday or Thursday to Monday turnaround would be mostly the same as a Sunday to Thursday week. 

Otherwise, give Cinci, Buffalo, and KC a bye... Let the other four play wild card weekend but only the winning team with the best record moves ahead to the Divisional round

Edited by wakingfane

Cancel it

prsy damar is going to just go home at this point - sounds like a long road

praying for the players as well

that look of pure terrified horror on Allen’s face says enough for me.  Their kids people forget

24 is too young for Hammer…

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Process said:

I would be very surprised if they finish the game. There just isn't enough time and they aren't adjusting the playoff schedule.

They have to and you can play all the way up to Wednesday. If not KC will get #1 seed for no other reason than they didn't play a game.

Just now, TBBills said:

They have to and you can play all the way up to Wednesday. If not KC will get #1 seed for no other reason than they didn't play a game.

I know you may not view him as a kid but - a kid at 24 was lifeless in the field and MILLIONS of viewers saw this very team with looks of shock, grief and just horror on their faces.

not sure you understand the gravity of this - no seeding and playoffs are legit right now.

hell I wouldn’t be surprised if some players walk away after seeing something like this.  I wouldn’t blame the bills if they couldn’t get over this trauma they saw and experienced

• Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Do the Chiefs get #1 seed automatically if the Bills Bengals game doesn't get played?

The issue seems trivial at the moment, but since we’re in this thread … I’d argue that they shouldn’t. As others have pointed out, the Chiefs lost to both teams involved here. Who knows what will actually happen and I wouldn’t be shocked. It would be another “ just give it to ‘em” 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

I know you may not view him as a kid but - a kid at 24 was lifeless in the field and MILLIONS of viewers saw this very team with looks of shock, grief and just horror on their faces.

not sure you understand the gravity of this - no seeding and playoffs are legit right now.

hell I wouldn’t be surprised if some players walk away after seeing something like this.  I wouldn’t blame the bills if they couldn’t get over this trauma they saw and experienced

You cannot just stop life b.c things happen, that is the worst thing to do. You are overly emotional right now and just lashing thoughts that don't really male sense. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

You cannot just stop life b.c things happen, that is the worst thing to do. You are overly emotional right now and just lashing thoughts that don't really male sense. 

I understand your thought, but the game is not life.. This is unprecedented as far as I know and the NFL has a delicate situation to handle here. They have to be practical and rational but respect the emotions involved at the same time. I don’t envy those who have to make the decision 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

We’re doomed if this is the solution.  

How are we doomed again? It's just a game.

Not trying to change the subject, but I have to mention this: Why did Roger Goodell extend the NFL season to 17 games? He had fears years ago that someone was going to get killed. Yet he extended it anyway.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

There is no way to handle this without a team or teams getting a perceived disadvantage.  

Bills are #1 seed now and should stay #1 seed if they win next week. That is the best way.

They Already beat KC head 2 head and Cin has no real way of getting #1 unless both the Bills and KC lose on Sunday.   

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Bills are #1 seed now and should stay #1 seed if they win next week. That is the best way.

They Already beat KC head 2 head and Cin has no real way of getting #1 unless both the Bills and KC lose on Sunday.   

Yes. I agree. We should stay number one. Other teams should be fighting for number 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TBBills said:

A Wednesday night game is probably what they'll do if we get good news with Hamlin.  They'll pry push the Bills/Pats game and the Bengals/Ravens game to Monday night.  During Covid the NFL was extremely aggressive to make sure all the games were played to the point where the Broncos had to start a practice squad WR at QB.  I'm just guessing at this point though as it's an unprecedented situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, TBBills said:

They’re #2 seed now though, not 1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, TBBills said:

No they are not.    They go by winning percentage.  13-3 for the chiefs 12-3 for the bills.  Chiefs were the one going into last night by virtue of them winning their game Sunday. 

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Agree 1

As others have said Damar is likely to remain in ICU for a number of days. I find it hard to imagine them restarting or replaying this game while that is the case. 

The NFL if they are smart are not thinking about short term fallout and playoff seeding here but long term fallout and the future of the league. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, NUT said:

If the Bills players and coaches are the ones who decide they are not playing, they have to be the ones taking the L.

This could possibly happen. I am hoping /praying for the best , yet sometimes in medicine that doesn’t happen. It’s still possible we wont know for days his response or prognosis.  Also. 9 min doing cpr is a very long time as brain injury begins around 3 min.  We have no way of knowing how long he was with poor circulation and lack of oxygen to the brain. It is still possible to save the heart but not the brain; this means he might never regain consciousness. Of course we all hope he makes a full recovery , but it is possible he might not recover at all. I can’t see how a close Bills team could be allowed to emotionally grieve and be expected to play a football game this week. That is of course the worst case scenario, but it is still sadly a possibility. 

Unless he shows signs of recovering , I don’t see how they play after watching their appropriate reactions tonight.   If his recovery is delayed or doesn’t happen , these are young,20 something year old men ( and for  Dawson it could be a second loss in a very short period).  Some may need time to even evaluate if they wish to continue playing football at all. I have a hard time imagining them playing this week unless everything suddenly goes right.  If the worst scenario happens and he suffers brain death, how do you ask these guys to play?

I just don’t see how they recover emotionally from that visible trauma either way to want to play football in 2-3 days; seems like too much to ask. It’s just my opinion tho. I think they deserve time, they are not robots and even mcd was shaken. I would just drop it or take the L and hope they can recover to play the Pats.  Going out there unfocused might be just asking for more bad things.  We will know more as time passes and you  can’t rush this. It was a terrible injury, his heart stopped functioning, and only time will tell how his Brain will recover. You don’t just forget watching something like that and then go out to play the game that the injury occurred in as if nothing happened. If you have lost a loved one or family member , you can understand as nothing else matters for some time. The med staffs did a phenomenal job, yet that’s not always enough. Now we just have hope until reality plays out. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1. Cancel the game.

2. Give both teams a win. KC loses the tie breaker versus both teams by losing a head to head against both earlier this season. It’d be very unfair to give them the advantage because of what happened here. By giving both teams a win, the last game of the season for all three teams still matter.  And let’s be honest, these two teams are going to play again. 
3. Give cinci home field in afc championship game if it’s between them and buffalo

Edited by Trekking
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

How are we doomed again? It's just a game.

Not trying to change the subject, but I have to mention this: Why did Roger Goodell extend the NFL season to 17 games? He had fears years ago that someone was going to get killed. Yet he extended it anyway.

I’m alluding to our ability to win coin flips.  It’s statistically improbable to have the odds that we have had.  Don’t read to much into my post, there’s no subliminal messages embedded.

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Probably Wednesday or even Thursday. Either days fine and if you have to move Bills and Bengals week 18 to Monday that will work.

Without some good word on Hamlin before then, I don’t believe this will happen. I could be wrong for sure but that’s how I see it. 

2 minutes ago, Trekking said:

1. Cancel the game.

2. Give both teams a win. KC loses the tie breaker versus both teams by losing a head to head against both earlier this season. It’d be very unfair to give them the advantage because of what happened here. By giving both teams a win, the last game of the season for all three teams still matter.  And let’s be honest, these two teams are going to play again. 

I like this idea,

I'm not sure the Chiefs will though

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think it can be replayed while Damar remains in intensive care battling for his life. That is likely to be the case for at least a few days so the "reconvene and play this week" option is a non-starter IMO. 

The only way it gets replayed or restarted is if it is pushed beyond the New England game (and even then possibly only if the prognosis on Damar looks better). At the point the question you have to ask is whether playing when everyone else has a bye is more or less disadvantageous to the two teams than the prospect of having to go to Kansas City in the post season.... and given the Bengals won there last year and the Bills were 13 seconds from doing the same my guess is both teams would say that giving every other team a bye hurts more than going to Arrowhead. 

Just my reading of where we are at. If the very worst case were to happen before this Sunday I think there are even bigger questions about what the league does with week 18 let alone this game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Trekking said:

1. Cancel the game.

I think this is the solution if no one wants to do a coin flip. The reality and logistics of trying to make up the Buffalo vs. Cincinnati is a nightmare. It's best to avoid it and move on.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.