Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

I just don’t see how they play the Bengals game with Hamlin’s true status not being known for days or maybe a full week or more.

A. I prefer they give both KC and the Bills a Bye and kill the #7 seed in the AFC. 
I know the NFL will never do this because it’s 1 less playoff game. 

B. If the Bills and Chiefs both win next weekend, we are 13-3, Chiefs 14-3, Bengals 12-4.  they could rank Bills and KC 1 and 2 based on conference %. Though this really screws the Bengals because they didn’t get their shot at us. (Chiefs would 9-3, Bills better at 9-2, FYI Bengals are 8-3) 

C. They can select by plain win % then KC gets the 1 seed (assuming they win Saturday) and we get the 2 seed. Now we get stuck with an extra game and no bye through no fault of our own, which makes me push back to my option A because why should we be punished for an act of god? 

Other ideas? 

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

My guess (and it’s literally just a guess) is they cancel the game completely and decide seeding by win %. Bills get 2nd seed.

This is my guess, as based on anyone I know with medical knowledge seems quite sure this doesn’t end tomorrow with Hamlin waking up and all is fine.  (Not that he couldn’t be fine down the line). 

Have to think the Bills would agree to this given the circumstance, and the Bengals probably wouldn’t be loving this but also may not want to play on Wed/Thurs only to risk losing and then have a showdown for the division a couple days later. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Get rid of the bye week before the Super Bowl and Buffalo and Cincy have their game in 2 weeks. Only playoff games are pushed back a week and who cares about the Pro Bowl.

Seems about the most competitively fair thing they can do at this point 

Personally rather just forfeit if the choice is between pushing the game 2 weeks and forfeit 

So potentially the Bills and Bengals are the only teams not to get a bye week heading round 1? Seems like a disadvantage 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

My guess (and it’s literally just a guess) is they cancel the game completely and decide seeding by win %. Bills get 2nd seed.

That's my guess as well.  It would be nice (but would never happen) that if KC and the Bills met in the AFC Championship game, they would play at a neutral field.  I hate to have to go to KC again because of this unprecedented situation.   

The only way that they could resume the game this week is if they play it Tuesday (and since the Bills are on their way back to Orchard park, it doesn't look like that will happen).  They can't play a game on Wednesday or later and then play again the following Sunday.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Personally rather just forfeit if the choice is between pushing the game 2 weeks and forfeit 

So potentially the Bills and Bengals are the only teams not to get a bye week heading round 1? Seems like a disadvantage 

Yet both teams and particularly the Bills are given a competitive disadvantage by not even being allowed the opportunity to have home field advantage throughout the playoffs barring a KC loss to the Raiders 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

None of this will happen.

They’ll either continue the game tomorrow or Wednesday, move the Bills/Pats and Bengals/Ravens games the following week to Monday or just cancel the game altogether IMO. 

I think this is speculation on your part Scott 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Get rid of the bye week before the Super Bowl and Buffalo and Cincy have their game in 2 weeks. Only playoff games are pushed back a week and who cares about the Pro Bowl.

Seems about the most competitively fair thing they can do at this point 

And the NFL can get what they want in another huge ratings boon. All the stakes would be set, and the game would have very similar implications.

They can easily move playoff games. They often don't even know when/where games are going to be until less than a week out. 

Then the Bills (and other teams watching seeding) don't get a free pass (chiefs) or an unfair advantage (Ravens).

Makes sense to me

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yet both teams and particularly the Bills are given a competitive disadvantage by not even being allowed the opportunity to have home field advantage throughout the playoffs barring a KC loss to the Raiders 

Both teams had 16 weeks to gain home field to say they never had a shot isn't right 

Moving the game to the week after week 18 gives the 5 other playoff teams a direct advantage over the Bills and Bengals 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This is my guess, as based on anyone I know with medical knowledge seems quite sure this doesn’t end tomorrow with Hamlin waking up and all is fine.  (Not that he couldn’t be fine down the line). 

Have to think the Bills would agree to this given the circumstance, and the Bengals probably wouldn’t be loving this but also may not want to play on Wed/Thurs only to risk losing and then have a showdown for the division a couple days later. 

It’ll take several days to know for sure but normal vital signs a couple days after the injury is a much different situation than watching your friend fighting for his life leaving the field in an ambulance and having to finish the game.  I’m not saying I agree with it but I would not be surprised to see the game moved to Wednesday or something like that and sliding the bills and bengals prospective games back next week 

im with you though personally I don’t think it’s any less emotionally difficult if they play the game in a day or two 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I can't begin to care about this even a little bit. If Hamlin comes out of this with his health and we're playing on wildcard weekend I'm as happy as can be.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.