Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

23 minutes ago, Figster said:

We have to fit the game in,

There's no way around it.

Let them choose a way that the 2 teams agree upon how to decide a winner.  They can have a tug of war or some series of events that require teamwork.  A Catalan tourney between group of Bills players and Bengals players.  Can agree on the number of players and what constitutes victory.   Heck if we want a rigged contest  whichever  team raises more for concussion research and developing better protective gear wins.  And all players win pro and amateurs as well as anyone that suffers any major concussions wins if any improvements are made via the research.  We know Bills Mafia likely wins in donating for worthy cause, but more importantly more funding for research to perhaps finding ways to minimize the impacts players suffer.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I say forfeit this game AND next week, giving us our bye (technically two as we didn’t play an entire game last night) and take the long road to the SB.

F seeding. F 1st round bye. 

But in reality, it may take that long just for the team to grieve and recover enough to want to play the game again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Locomark said:

I just don’t see how they play the Bengals game with Hamlin’s true status not being known for days or maybe a full week or more.

A. I prefer they give both KC and the Bills a Bye and kill the #7 seed in the AFC. 
I know the NFL will never do this because it’s 1 less playoff game. 

B. If the Bills and Chiefs both win next weekend, we are 13-3, Chiefs 14-3, Bengals 12-4.  they could rank Bills and KC 1 and 2 based on conference %. Though this really screws the Bengals because they didn’t get their shot at us. (Chiefs would 9-3, Bills better at 9-2, FYI Bengals are 8-3) 

C. They can select by plain win % then KC gets the 1 seed (assuming they win Saturday) and we get the 2 seed. Now we get stuck with an extra game and no bye through no fault of our own, which makes me push back to my option A because why should we be punished for an act of god? 

Other ideas? 

Option D They make 7-3 the final score, and give Buffalo the L.  Making week 18 a little less meaningful for the Bills and them resting starters if Chiefs win Saturday. (Not saying this is right or what’s going to happen just that it’s an option.)

5 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Both teams had 16 weeks to gain home field to say they never had a shot isn't right 

Moving the game to the week after week 18 gives the 5 other playoff teams a direct advantage over the Bills and Bengals 

Disagree- every game matters in the NFL. That said, the only thing that matters is this young kid’s life.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Trekking said:

1. Cancel the game.

2. Give both teams a win. KC loses the tie breaker versus both teams by losing a head to head against both earlier this season. It’d be very unfair to give them the advantage because of what happened here. By giving both teams a win, the last game of the season for all three teams still matter.  And let’s be honest, these two teams are going to play again. 
3. Give cinci home field in afc championship game if it’s between them and buffalo

Never going to happen! They IMO will either reschedule it for this week or give the win to Cincy since they had the lead when the game was called.  I am betting the reschedule it for Wednesday and perhaps move NE/Buffalo to Tuesday next week. 

• Disagree 1

I would push the start of the playoffs back 1 weekend, with the Bills vs. Bengals being the sole NFL marquee matchup on that following weekend after the end of the regular season.

Ratings will be phenomenal and there would be huge implications surrounding the winner with all the other games completed at that time, most likely.

Then, absorb the pushed back week by only having ONE off weekend prior to the Super Bowl, instead of the usual, silly, two.  

That way you preserve the scheduling of the SB and the huge amounts of travel planning that must go into that for tons of people/entities.

That's one of a BUNCH of ways you can handle this.

It's not impossible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I say forfeit this game AND next week, giving us our bye (technically two as we didn’t play an entire game last night) and take the long road to the SB.

F seeding. F 1st round bye. 

But in reality, it may take that long just for the team to grieve and recover enough to want to play the game again. 

Well lets all hope and pray theres not to much grieving going on and Damar shows improvement.

Josh Allen has been in the same situation before after losing a loved one.

and played lights out... 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Well lets all hope and pray theres not to much grieving going on and Damar shows improvement.

and played lights out... 

Brillant.....All JA needed was the potential death of a teammate to get back on track.  

Are you for real?

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Trekking said:

Problem with adding a week19 game is then both the bills and cinci are the only teams not well rested before the playoffs. And they are the top teams. 

That's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

With a crazy situation like this there is going to have to be slack that is picked up somewhere, by someone.

You can't just wave a magic wand and "fix" the situation with zero ramifications.

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It’ll take several days to know for sure but normal vital signs a couple days after the injury is a much different situation than watching your friend fighting for his life leaving the field in an ambulance and having to finish the game.  I’m not saying I agree with it but I would not be surprised to see the game moved to Wednesday or something like that and sliding the bills and bengals prospective games back next week 

im with you though personally I don’t think it’s any less emotionally difficult if they play the game in a day or two 

Yea no way Buffalo is ready to play this game Wednesday. It’s just been a rough year!!!  WoW injuries have been terrible. 

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I would push the start of the playoffs back 1 weekend, with the Bills vs. Bengals being the sole NFL marquee matchup on that following weekend after the end of the regular season.

Ratings will be phenomenal and there would be huge implications surrounding the winner with all the other games completed at that time, most likely.

Then, absorb the pushed back week by only having ONE off weekend prior to the Super Bowl, instead of the usual, silly, two.  

That way you preserve the scheduling of the SB and the huge amounts of travel planning that must go into that for tons of people/entities.

That's one of a BUNCH of ways you can handle this.

It's not impossible.

There is only one off weekend between the conf champs and the Superbowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Figster said:

and played lights out... 

Oh I completely agree and hope you’re 100% correct. 

I’ll just say as a combat vet, losing a loved one is absolutely devastating. Watching a friend/teammate go down in the “field of battle” and seeing them getting “worked on” is a completely different trauma. 

I know it’s different for everyone, but that’s my experience. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Option D They make 7-3 the final score, and give Buffalo the L.  Making week 18 a little less meaningful for the Bills and them resting starters if Chiefs win Saturday. (Not saying this is right or what’s going to happen just that it’s an option.)

True but on the other hand the Bills get healthier with all their injured players.  There's risk of being a bit rusty with the extra time off though.  But having to play the extra playoff game evens it out a bit especially as in playoffs you win or go home.  So I'd find that an acceptable compromise that would give the team some time to get over the trauma and play because I wouldn't blame any of the players if they cannot focus on the game of football for the rest of this season.  If the players themselves decided they wished to forfeit all remaining games this season I'd be ok with that mo problem.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Finish this game Thursday. Push back Buffalo and Cincy’s week 18 games to Tuesday. Push back Buffalo and Cincy’s playoff games to Monday. Then make sure they play the following Sunday. 

The season will go on. The Bills will have to take the field again, even if the worst happens with #3. The games will have to be played. 

This sounds like the best route 

I can't imagine the nfl will make the bills take a forfeit unless they as a team decide they can't play the remainder of the season or something.

It would be a bad look to give a team a loss as a result of this situation. I don't believe Cincinnati would be comfortable taking a free win on the back of a near on-field death

• Agree 1

It would be a terrible look by the NFL if they took the #1 seed from them in this incident.  It would be like the NFL is punishing the team that their player went into cardiac arrest during game. The leavue finding a way to have 2 byes should be way to go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Just do a Madden simulation and award the win based off that.  I'd be cool with it. It's as good as all the other ideas. 

For me personally, seeding really doesn't matter. I never believed the Bills were going to the SB this year let alone winning it.

Slow down. Our players and the organization do not agree with you. Dude, that's just disrespectful and dismissive of the work and energy they put in.

That's why they actually perform on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Figster said:

and played lights out... 

I really do understand your point , yet losing a grandparent ( having lost all of mine and my father. 96 year old mom was watching and cheering for Bills tonight!) is not as unexpected as losing a peer in your age group right in front of your eyes while playing the sport you do as well for a living. There is a difference.  Josh unlikely was there as his grandmother passed ( I could be wrong , just my experience over the years ) and many grandparents have chronic illness etc.  Possibly losing a younger peer , who you spend more time with than grandparents usually, is a very unexpected trauma.  Just a thought.  Not sure he will be ready to play lights out in this situation; may be very affected as many team men were crying , and extremely shaken just witnessing the resuscitation, let alone considering the possibility of him passing. He did dedicate the game to his grandmother and did play well. This type of thing makes you realize your own vulnerability though. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Figster said:

tomorrow or Wed IMO.

No no way they pay until they know if Hamlin is ok.  Hope mcd and beane announce they will just forfeit the Cincinnati and Pats games.  They host the first game at HFA and any games not involving Cincinnati or KC those they can have some set of coin flips between the 3 teams Cincinnati kc and Buffalo to determine seeding before any games amongst them.  Kc having lost to both teams cannot claim superior record.    As it is Bills and Bengals players may not regain focus to even play until next season.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Thank you (+1) 1

NFL has shown lots of flexibility with scheduling in the past.  Strike season for example.  Games were counted with scab players, and season was a mess. Not completely fair, but still had great playoffs and a Doug Williams Super Bowl.  Pick a solution and just move forward.  Nothing in life completely works out the way we plan it.  

i  thought the suggestion (not sure who said that) of them making it an eight team playoff was a good start. Then if Cinci, Buff or KC, after the first round have to play each other make them play at a neutral site - either Chicage or Detroit as both are within reasonable (not perfect) travel distance for the respective fan bases.

Edited by entropyrules

Just now, entropyrules said:

i  thought the suggestion (not sure who said that) of them making it an eight team playoff was a good start. Then if Cinci, Buff or KC, after the first round have to play each other make them play at a neutral site - either Chicage or Detroit as both are within travel distance for the respective fan bases.

Yes, with the top 2 seeds having bye weeks.  KC lost to both teams, so they can go on the road 

I can't take a Pats Fan seriously on a Buffalo Bills forum. What you're saying has a negative bias so yeah.

I think we're NOT taking an L. We're not forfeiting. For what? We possibly lost Damar Hamlin among the other L's we took all year. We put in the work. We won 12 games. We lost 3. We're currently number one seed in AFC with all the battles we fought in.

Why do we have to forfeit? No one is supposed to get killed, or get brain damaged, in this game. And we're forced to take another L?

2 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

i  thought the suggestion (not sure who said that) of them making it an eight team playoff was a good start. Then if Cinci, Buff or KC, after the first round have to play each other make them play at a neutral site - either Chicage or Detroit as both are within reasonable (not perfect) travel distance for the respective fan bases.

I just don’t understand the wild and never before hinted at “solutions”

if the games not played then its simply 16 games, use win percentage and keep moving as usual

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.