Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yes .. 2 seed guaranteed 2 home games and cannot meet #1 until Championship game . Fairly big difference 

A former player spoke of #1 seed.  You sleep in your own bed for 2 weeks. You get to rehab and work. The wildcard game upsets are because teams fought like hell to get in and run out of steam week 2. 

8 minutes ago, Locomark said:

If the game were to be played Wed they wouldn’t have sent the Bills home. They would be flying back today. 

The Bills didn’t have lodging in Cincinnati. They had to fly home. Why would they stay 2 nights there anyway if it were moved to Wed night?

I’m not advocating for it, I just think that is what the NFL is going to push the teams to do.

10 minutes ago, 97bills said:

But if KC wins Sunday and so dose CIN , the bengals really want have nothing to play for. Is there really a big difference between 2 seed and 3. 

If KC and the Bengals win then we still get the number one seed by beating the Bengals. Of course, they may rest a bunch of starters against us in that scenario as they won’t be in the fight for first seed.

I do not envy the NFL in this situation. You have a player that is currently fighting for his life and the teams postponed the game. It's a huge game in terms of seedings for the playoffs and you still have to factor in gambling/fantasy football *not the most important thing but this is a huge week in terms of pay outs

I assume they'll play the game tomorrow night and push the Pats game to Monday night.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Do we think bills coaches and players are watching film from yesterday? Even brief there was some good stuff on tape. The Bengals OL held. A lot. And the chance to rush the middle was there.

I think we can alter the gameplan based on what I saw. 

I didn't like how Groot was rushing from the 2 point stance every play. Looked too slow.

2 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I would be absolutely shocked if the league pushed back playoff games.  How many people have already booked flights, hotels, etc.. for games they presumed would be played the weekend of Jan. 14th?

Yeah, they're not pushing anything back

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Yes, we had definitely lost.

Have no idea why the Vikings didn’t pack up and leave halfway through the game against the Colts either.

Or against us…we were beating the Vikings worse at halftime than the bengals would’ve been beating us if they scored the td before the game was stopped.  I think we’re undefeated when losing at halftime this season funny enough. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, dma0034 said:

I do not envy the NFL in this situation. You have a player that is currently fighting for his life and the teams postponed the game. It's a huge game in terms of seedings for the playoffs and you still have to factor in gambling/fantasy football *not the most important thing but this is a huge week in terms of pay outs

I assume they'll play the game tomorrow night and push the Pats game to Monday night.

There is ZERO chance the Bills are playing 2 games in 5 days then possibly a playoff game 6 days after any Monday night game. 

I said this last night I’ll say it again.  If the updates on Damar are still critical, there will not be any games this weekend.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Blitz said:

There is ZERO chance the Bills are playing 2 games in 5 days then possibly a playoff game 6 days after any Monday night game. 

I said this last night I’ll say it again.  If the updates on Damar are still critical, there will not be any games this weekend.  

That’s wild. There will absolutely be games this weekend regardless of Hamlin’s status. I’m not trying to be callous, that’s just the way it goes.

• Agree 4

At this point I don’t know how you reschedule. The NFL could decide to let this weekends game play out before determining seeding. There is no time at this point without impacting everything. 

Thankfully both teams are locks for the playoffs which helps somewhat. This is all unprecedented and even more complicated if all three teams win this weekend. If by chance Buffalo were to beat NE and KC and Cinncy were to both lose (unlikely) that would greatly clear some things up.

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Maybe the NFL pushes everything back a week? The NFL wanted them to resume play last night... you really don't think they'd do a Wednesday night? Then push the Bengals and Bills game back to Monday. Outside of pushing the entire NFL back one week and allowing the Bills/Bengals to be a standalone game for the week this is their best option

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I’m not at all saying you’re wrong about what should happen but i don’t believe a lot of this is true.  The NFL would absolutely slide the bills pats game back if they end up deciding they want to attempt to reschedule the game later this week.  I’m sure they will give the teams the final word on whether they want to play or not and the bills very likely will decline anyway and I really can’t see the bengals pushing for it to be counted as a forfeit 

there will absolutely be games this weekend though

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

10 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I would be absolutely shocked if the league pushed back playoff games.  How many people have already booked flights, hotels, etc.. for games they presumed would be played the weekend of Jan. 14th?

Who booked flights when the games and team haven’t been determined yet? 

• Like (+1) 1

I hate to say it, but I think the obvious choice is going to be a forfeit by the Bills and move on.  It sucks, it is a bad blow to the Super Bowl aspirations, but I really can’t see a way it works out any “better” for the team or league.  At this point you are looking at multiple games on short rest of they try to squeeze it in, unless they actually delay the entire season a week.  

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Well that’s unfortunate for them.  Hotels and flights can be changed.  

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I didn't like how Groot was rushing from the 2 point stance every play. Looked too slow.

Yeah, they're not pushing anything back

Agreed. And I didn't like how wide open we left the middle of the DL and then backed up our LBs. Too much space in the open middle. 

Just now, DCofNC said:

I hate to say it, but I think the obvious choice is going to be a forfeit by the Bills and move on.  It sucks, it is a bad blow to the Super Bowl aspirations, but I really can’t see a way it works out any “better” for the team or league.  At this point you are looking at multiple games on short rest of they try to squeeze it in, unless they actually delay the entire season a week.  

The other choice is to make the game a tie. 

Just now, boyst said:

Just played with ESPN machine. 

If they simply waive the game results and do nothing and both bills and Bengals win next week it won't matter

KC can rest their starters next week and still be #1 seed w 3 weeks off

I just can’t see how the NFL could justify this. Unprecedented, of course it is, but the solution can’t be to punish the two teams who played the game and hand KC an even easier path. I cannot see the NFL execs thinking this is a good way to go. If I’m the Bills and they want to do this then I absolutely tell them I’m forfeiting the Patriots game then and they can explain to everyone why the Pitt and Dolphins games no longer matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I think there's like a 99.9% probability that this week's games go off as scheduled.  They probably aren't even under discussion.  Why would they be?  Lots and lots of NFL games have been played in the wake of one tragedy or another.  This year's week 18 will join that list, unfortunately.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Just now, GolfandBills said:

Well that’s unfortunate for them.  Hotels and flights can be changed.  

If that's the case KC gets to rest this weekend too

i realize times change, but the chiefs played a game roughly 24 hrs after jovan belcher killed his girlfriend/child and then blew his own brains out in the arrowhead stadium parking lot in front of the GM and coach. not sure if the nfl forced the chiefs to play or not, but that was ridiculous. that chiefs team was 1-10 up against the 3-8 panthers. there was zero reason to play. and yet, they did. 

I believe that the NFLPA will have a big part of the decision-making in all of this. Additionally, so will the league, Union and team attorneys. With so much money now tied-up in betting, Las Vegas will also have a say. What? Are they all going to give money back? I don't think so.

The outcome will be surely challenged in court, unless all parties are in agreement.

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

If they simply waive the game results and do nothing and both bills and Bengals win next week it won't matter

The Chiefs have their own issues to worry about - mainly that they’ve played horribly the last few weeks and aren’t a lock to win @the Raiders who looked pretty damn good without Carr. 

I posted this last night but feel even stronger this morning that it's a workable solution:

*  There is no way you can play last nights game so you call it a non-contest.  The Bengals & Bills will only play 16 games. The idea that sometime in the next week you would place the ball at the exact spot in the same stadium that Damar Hamlin went down and then resume play is not right.

*  Use win percent to determine seeding.

*  Assuming KC wins and both the Bills & Bengals win Sunday then they would be seeded #2 & #3 respectfully. And even if the Bills lose or don't play (forfeit) and the Bengals lose the two teams will still be the 2& 3 seed.

*  The Bills and Bengals would have 1st round home playoff games. 

*  Should they both win they will play each other.  This game would be played at a neutral site with each fan base getting half the tickets.

The other issue would be for Bills & Bengals players who have performance incentives losing a game. The teams could simply prorate and adjust the numbers to reflect losing one game.

IMO the sooner the NFL can bring clarity to what it will do moving forward the better for all involved.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

The Chiefs have their own issues to worry about - mainly that they’ve played horribly the last few weeks and aren’t a lock to win @the Raiders who looked pretty damn good without Carr. 

The chiefs can lose and still be #1 seed. 

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

This is exactly why they can’t just pretend the game never happened, it becomes a 17 vs 16 game schedule.  They either have to play the game or the Bills have to forfeit.   Otherwise it screws too many things up.  I think it’s going to end up in a forfeit and that’s all they can do.  The Bills will be locked to the 3 seed, assuming KC beats the Raiders, they can forfeit the NE game if they want, at very least the starters aren’t playing.

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I posted this last night but feel even stronger this morning that it's a workable solution:

*  There is no way you can play last nights game so you call it a non-contest.  The Bengals & Bills will only play 16 games. The idea that sometime in the next week you would place the ball at the exact spot in the same stadium that Damar Hamlin went down and then resume play is not right.

*  Use win percent to determine seeding.

*  Assuming KC wins and both the Bills & Bengals win Sunday then they would be seeded #2 & #3 respectfully. And even if the Bills lose or don't play (forfeit) and the Bengals lose the two teams will still be the 2& 3 seed.

*  The Bills and Bengals would have 1st round home playoff games. 

*  Should they both win they will play each other.  This game would be played at a neutral site with each fan base getting half the tickets.

The other issue would be for Bills & Bengals players who have performance incentives losing a game. The teams could simply prorate and adjust the numbers to reflect losing one game.

IMO the sooner the NFL can bring clarity to what it will do moving forward the better for all involved.

Absolutely cannot happen. It is a competitive advantage for the Chiefs. The game will 100% be scheduled to play. Too many implications with Fantasy Football/ Gambling/ Seedings/ Tickets for it not to be played (not to mention the agreement)

Just now, DCofNC said:

This is exactly why they can’t just pretend the game never happened, it becomes a 17 vs 16 game schedule.  They either have to play the game or the Bills have to forfeit.   Otherwise it screws too many things up.  I think it’s going to end up in a forfeit and that’s all they can do.  The Bills will be locked to the 3 seed, assuming KC beats the Raiders, they can forfeit the NE game if they want, at very least the starters aren’t playing.

The Steelers and Dolphins will scream bloody murder especially if it's a forfeit.

• Like (+1) 1

IMHO, I think the best option is to postpone all games this next weekend until the following weekend and only play the Bills vs Bengals game this weekend.  Then the following week, all week 18 games would be played as normal.  

And the playoffs start one week later.  

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.