Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

And the Bills should return the classy move presented by Cinci and forfeit the game if they're unable to resume it without negatively impacting the rest of the league. It's ultimately the Bills who caused the game to be stopped.

***** no!

We did the "classy thing" in 1921 and Halas, Staleys (Bears) screwed us!

The Staley Swindle:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_NFL_championship_controversy

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's not about the Bengals wanting to continue or not, but if you do anything that hands the Bills a W or prevents the Bengals from getting a W, then you screw over their playoff seeding that could have a material impact on their ability to win a Super Bowl. This isn't their problem.

How is it about the bills wanting to continue and not the bengals wanting to continue? It was a mutual decision. The only reason the Bills team should accept a forfeit is if the players do not want to play the game from that moment.

7 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

They aren't being punished.  Their coaching staff went to the Bills coaching staff during the 5 minute warm up period and they mutually agreed to stop the game.  It literally was 1 drive each.  The game had just started.

Exactly. Not enough of a game had been played except that it could be resumed. Cannot be an official result

And the Bills should return the classy move presented by Cinci and forfeit the game if they're unable to resume it without negatively impacting the rest of the league. It's ultimately the Bills who caused the game to be stopped.

No they didn't.  It was stopped because of a medical emergency.  It wasn't because of a team.  According to the NFL though, they said it was "insensitive" to sugest they forced the 5 minute warm up.  According to the NFL, THEY were the ones that postponed the game.  So it's on the NFL, and not the Bills/Bengals.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

How is it about the bills wanting to continue and not the bengals wanting to continue? It was a mutual decision. The only reason the Bills team should accept a forfeit is if the players do not want to play the game from that moment.

Well, that would constitute a forfeit. A forfeit is a decision by the team, not one that is put upon them to be accepted. 

5 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I think you're misreading my point. .Going forward, it's objectively unfair to the rest of the league to not have one team get a loss and one team get a win for this game prior to the conclusion of week 18.

Edited by BullBuchanan

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think you're misreading my point. .Going forward, it's objectively unfair to the rest of the league to not have one team get a loss and one team get a win for this game prior to the conclusion of week 18.

I get what you’re saying, however, you keep avoiding the obvious:  it was a mutual decision to not play. The bills didn’t walk off unilaterally. 

The game won’t be played this week. Which means the game may very well not be played at all. Play week 18 and see where the chips fall. Some of this may be a moot point after Week 18 results. 

Perhaps playoffs can still be determined with the Bills/Bengals playing one less game than everyone else. If not the NFL may consider pushing back the playoffs 1 week based on today’s announcement (im not sure how else they’d add this game if they’re not doing it this week). 

So I've been thinking non-stop about this: Call this a tie and modify the playoffs:

Any games between Bills/Chiefs/Bengals would have to be on a neutral site. Chiefs get a bye and home field for round two. If/When the Bills play the Bengals in round 2 it will be on a neutral field. If the Chiefs advance and one of the Bills/Bengals advance it too will have to be on a neutral site.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think you're misreading my point. nothing that I said is about desire to play yesterday. Going forward though, it's objectively unfair to the rest of the league to not have one team get a loss and one team get a win for this game prior to the conclusion of week 18.

How is awarding the Bengals a win for a 4 point lead 10 minutes into a 60 minute game fair to the Ravens who are still fighting for a division championship?  Unfortunately, there's really no "fair" way to go about it if the game isn't played.  Awarding no contests and going by winning percentage is probably the best they can do at this point from a logistics standpoint.  The Chiefs are the big winners in this scenario.  The Bills are both losers (lose 1 seed) and winners (secure 2 seed) and the same for the Bengals (gifted the division title, but lose out on potential 1 or 2 seed).  The Ravens get screwed the worst I suppose, but they are still in the playoffs.  

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

The blowback by the NFL forcing the Bills to forfeit a game because a member on the team died and was revived on the field would be horrible.  You CANNOT punish the Bills and Bengals for this.  They took care of their business all year, and this is completely out of their control.  I don't really care if everybody else is upset by it.  They failed to take care of their own business.  Bills and Bengals took care of their business.  

So other teams (like KC and Baltimore) get punished while the Bills and Bengals get rewarded? How is this remotely fair to teams that weren't even involved in the actual game?

I'm sure McDermott considered that not finishing the game could possibly result in a forfeit. He didn't care, and I'm glad he didn't it, because it was the best decision for his players.

Here's the rule (apologies if someone else posted in the previous 35 pages, but note the bolded, which in one case says that the Commish can terminate the game, then later says "the game nevertheless must be played", so clear as mud):

RULE 17 EMERGENCIES, UNFAIR ACTS
SECTION 1 EMERGENCIES
ARTICLE 1. NON-PLAYER ON FIELD. If any non-player, including photographers, reporters, employees, police or spectators,
enters the field of play or end zones, and in the judgment of an official said party or parties interfere with the play, the Referee,
after consulting the crew (13-1-7 and 19-1-3), shall enforce any such penalty or score as the interference warrants.
ARTICLE 2. FIELD CONTROL. If spectators enter the field and/or interfere with the progress of the game in such a manner
that in the opinion of the Referee the game cannot continue, the Referee shall declare timeout. In such a case, the Referee shall
record the number of the down, distance to be gained, and the position of the ball on the field. The Referee shall also secure
from the Line Judge the playing time remaining and record it. The Referee shall then order the home club through its
management to have the field cleared, and when it is cleared and order restored and the safety of the spectators, players and
officials is assured to the satisfaction of the Referee, the game must continue even if it is necessary to use lights.
ARTICLE 3. GAME CALLED. If the game must be called due to a state or municipal law, or by darkness if no lights are
available, an immediate report shall be made to the Commissioner by the home club, visiting club, and officials. On receipt of all
reports, the Commissioner shall make a decision which will be final.
ARTICLE 4. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS. The NFL affirms the position that in most circumstances all regular-season and
postseason games should be played to their conclusion. If, in the opinion of appropriate League authorities, it is impossible to
begin or continue a game due to an emergency, or a game is deemed to be imminently threatened by any such emergency
(e.g., severely inclement weather, lightning, flooding, power failure), the following procedures (Articles 5 through 11) will serve
as guidelines for the Commissioner and/or the duly appointed representatives. The Commissioner has the authority to review
the circumstances of each emergency and to adjust the following procedures in whatever manner the Commissioner deems
appropriate. If, in the Commissioner’s opinion, it is reasonable to project that the resumption of an interrupted game would not
change its ultimate result or adversely affect any other inter-team competitive issue, the Commissioner is empowered to
terminate the game.

ARTICLE 5. LEAGUE AUTHORITY. The League employees vested with the authority to define emergencies under these
procedures are the Commissioner, designated representatives from the League office staff, and the game Referee. In those
instances where neither the Commissioner nor the designated representative is in attendance at a game, the Referee will have
sole authority; provided, however, that if the Referee delays the beginning of or interrupts a game for a significant period of time
due to an emergency, the Referee must make every effort to contact the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designated
representative for consultation. In all cases of significant delay, the League authorities will consult with the management of the
participating clubs and will attempt to obtain appropriate information from outside sources, if applicable (e.g., weather bureau,
police).
ARTICLE 6. LATER DATE. If, because of an emergency, a regular-season or postseason game is not started at its scheduled
time and cannot be played at any later time that same day, the game nevertheless must be played on a subsequent date to be
determined by the Commissioner.

ARTICLE 7. PRE-GAME THREAT. If there is deemed to be a threat of an emergency that may occur during the playing of a
game (e.g., an incoming tropical storm), the starting time of such game will not be moved to an earlier time unless there is
clearly sufficient time to make an orderly change.
ARTICLE 8. INTERRUPTED GAME. If, under emergency circumstances, an interrupted regular-season or post-season game
cannot be completed on the same day, such game will be rescheduled by the Commissioner and resumed at that point.
ARTICLE 9. ALTERNATE DATES, SITES. In instances under these emergency procedures which require the Commissioner to
reschedule a regular-season game, the Commissioner will make every effort to set the game for no later than two days after its
originally scheduled date, and will attempt to schedule the game at its original site. If unable to do so, the Commissioner will
schedule it at the nearest available facility. If it is impossible to schedule the game within two days after its original date, the
Commissioner will be guided by the Emergencies and Unfair Acts provisions in the Policy Manual for Member Clubs: Game
Operations.
ARTICLE 10. POSTSEASON INTERRUPTION. If an emergency interrupts a postseason game and such game cannot be
resumed on that same date, the Commissioner will make every effort to arrange for its completion as soon as possible. If unable
to schedule the game at the same site, the Commissioner will select an appropriate alternate site. The Commissioner will
terminate the game short of completion only, if in the Commissioner’s judgment, the continuation of the game would not be
normally expected to alter the ultimate result.
ARTICLE 11. GAME RESUMPTION. In all instances where a game is resumed after interruption, either on the same date or a
subsequent date, the resumption will begin at the point at which the game was interrupted. At the time of interruption, the
Referee will call timeout and will make a record of the following: the team possessing the ball, direction in which its offense was
headed, position of the ball on the field, down, distance, period, time remaining in the period, and any other pertinent information
required for an efficient and equitable resumption of play.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Patrick Fitzryan said:

So other teams (like KC and Baltimore) get punished while the Bills and Bengals get rewarded? How is this remotely fair to teams that weren't even involved in the actual game?

I'm sure McDermott considered that not finishing the game could possibly result in a forfeit. He didn't care, and I'm glad he didn't it, because it was the best decision for his players.

Well Baltimore and Kansas City lost to Buffalo, the Ravens might have a case but they will also get that opportunity in week 18 against the Bengals. If they win, they win the division which is best case for Baltimore anyways.

Kansas City has no room to talk if they decide to give Buffalo the 1 seed because they lost to Buffalo. If they decide to give the 1 seed to Cincinnati, Kansas City has no room to talk. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

How is awarding the Bengals a win for a 4 point lead 10 minutes into a 60 minute game fair to the Ravens who are still fighting for a division championship?  Unfortunately, there's really no "fair" way to go about it if the game isn't played.  Awarding no contests and going by winning percentage is probably the best they can do at this point from a logistics standpoint.  The Chiefs are the big winners in this scenario.  The Bills are both losers (lose 1 seed) and winners (secure 2 seed) and the same for the Bengals (gifted the division title, but lose out on potential 1 or 2 seed).  The Ravens get screwed the worst I suppose, but they are still in the playoffs and they had already lost to the Bengals.  

The Ravens beat the Bengals in their first matchup

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Yes, with the top 2 seeds having bye weeks.  KC lost to both teams, so they can go on the road 

I don't mean this to sound callous but the world can't stop because this happened. Millions of people are affected in ways from hugely important (family, teammates) to important (NFL employees, travel agencies and lodging) to trivial (you need 9 points from Allen for a championship). All best wishes and prayers to Damar Hamlin but there is absolutely nothing anyone outside that hospital can do for him right now. People need to do what humans have done since the dawn of the species; life will go on.

So then. If the game isn't completed, no team in the AFC should earn a bye. Add one wild card team. Of course KC likely gets home field again without actually earning it. If the NFL wanted anything else then they don't throw that flag on Sutton.

Fantasy managers, you're all screwed, unless the stats from next week's games are used or unless you're allowed to replace from the bench ex-post facto. There's no fair solution there either.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

How is awarding the Bengals a win for a 4 point lead 10 minutes into a 60 minute game fair to the Ravens who are still fighting for a division championship?  Unfortunately, there's really no "fair" way to go about it if the game isn't played.  Awarding no contests and going by winning percentage is probably the best they can do at this point from a logistics standpoint.  The Chiefs are the big winners in this scenario.  The Bills are both losers (lose 1 seed) and winners (secure 2 seed) and the same for the Bengals (gifted the division title, but lose out on potential 1 or 2 seed).  The Ravens get screwed the worst I suppose, but they are still in the playoffs and they had already lost to the Bengals.  

Because it was a Bills player that prevented the game from being played. At the time of stoppage the Bengals were in the lead. I understand that it was very early in the game, but forfeits typically happen under extenuating circumstances. This game has implications to the 1,2,3,5 and 6 seeds int he AFC. Changes to the playoff scheduling would have impacts to whichever AFC team goes to the Super Bowl or would otherwise require rescheduling of the Super Bowl which I don't feel is realistic or warranted in this circumstance.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because it was a Bills player that prevented the game from being played. At the time of stoppage the Bengals were in the lead. I understand that it was very early in the game, but forfeits typically happen under extenuating circumstances. This game has implications to the 1,2,3,5 and 6 seeds int he AFC. Changes to the playoff scheduling would have impacts to whichever AFC team goes to the Super Bowl or would otherwise require rescheduling of the Super Bowl which I don't feel is realistic or warranted in this circumstance.

What a humanitarian smdh

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Well Baltimore and Kansas City lost to Buffalo, the Ravens might have a case but they will also get that opportunity in week 18 against the Bengals. If they win, they win the division which is best case for Baltimore anyways.

Kansas City has no room to talk if they decide to give Buffalo the 1 seed because they lost to Buffalo. If they decide to give the 1 seed to Cincinnati, Kansas City has no room to talk. 

KC does have room to talk because that is not how home field works.  It is based on overall record, not just head to head.  Head to head is the tie breaker, not the deciding factor.  

I don't see any way that Buffalo and Cinci don't finish the game.  The question will be WHEN and how to change the other schedules to accommodate it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

I think it's always been win/loss record.

I think I remember something in the 90s about a tie being impacted 

Tie's impact winning percentage and those are used.  I think winning percentage is what they actually go by....it is listed after wins/losses/ties on the nfl standings page.

How about get rid of the bye week leading into the Super Bowl. Move the first round of the playoffs back one week and in between week 18 until the delayed wild card round, have the Bills and Bengals continue their game to determine a first round by the next week. That sounds fair for all parties

1 minute ago, cle23 said:

KC does have room to talk because that is not how home field works.  It is based on overall record, not just head to head.  Head to head is the tie breaker, not the deciding factor.  

I don't see any way that Buffalo and Cinci don't finish the game.  The question will be WHEN and how to change the other schedules to accommodate it.

I agree. But also stress, and you may agree: We don't know what's best, we aren't thinking fully clear, and don't have an answer to 

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

How about get rid of the bye week leading into the Super Bowl. Move the first round of the playoffs back one week and in between week 18 until the delayed wild card round, have the Bills and Bengals continue their game to determine a first round by the next week. That sounds fair for all parties

I think they wait to see what happens next week.  If there is a football god he lets Cinci and KC lose

Just now, boyst said:

I think they wait to see what happens next week.  If there is a football god he lets Cinci and KC lose

The Bills are going to have to pull themselves together and get ready to play a NE team that needs to win to make the playoffs. It's not just playing the game. They have to start today with offensive and defensive game planning and then have to do the installs tomorrow in order to be ready to play on Sunday. I'm just not sure that they have that in them after seeing their reactions last night. 

I'm not saying you don't have an argument.  Just saying there's no easy answer from a fairness standpoint.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills voluntarily request/accept a forfeit given the good nature shown by the Bengals and the rest of the league to be honest.  We are still only about 17 hours out from the actual incident and the NFL/Bills/Bengals don't want to distract from the fact that one of their own is fighting for his life.  I think everyone is just waiting on a positive Damar update and then everything will be sorted out shortly thereafter.  Based on similar medical situations I've witnessed and the little bits of info that have come out from Damar's spokesperson, I suspect that we are only 24-36 hours from truly positive and inspiring news regarding Damar's prognosis and a potential statement from Damar himself.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Bills are going to have to pull themselves together and get ready to play a NE team that needs to win to make the playoffs. It's not just playing the game. They have to start today with offensive and defensive game planning and then have to do the installs tomorrow in order to be ready to play on Sunday. I'm just not sure that they have that in them after seeing their reactions last night. 

I don't think there will be games this weekend.

7 minutes ago, chongli said:

I don't think there will be games this weekend.

The NFL is not going to hold games? How's that work? All that TV revenue. All the gambling. The paychecks of the players. The staff and logistics already in place. 

Edited by boyst
  • Agree 2

I posted in the other thread:

This is what I think is the best solution and obviously outcome:

They pause the week.  

If Hamlin pulls thru in the next 24-48 hours - announce Bills-Bengals kick off Week 18 on Monday January 9 with the resumption of the game.  

Everyone plays this weeks schedule next weekend.

Bills-Patriots and Bengals-Ravens will be played Monday January 16.  

Playoffs proceed one week later maybe even have the teams that play Monday play Monday the 23rd if they can in this scenario.  

13 minutes ago, Trekking said:

Looks like they’re gonna wait out next weeks results before deciding. Gives them opportunity to make some easy decisions, possibly just cancel them game altogether, depending on the results. 

There is no way the Bills-Bengals game doesn't mean anything

Bills win, Bengals lose - Bills playing for 1 seed, Bengals playing for division and 3 seed

Bills win, Bengals win - Bills playing for 1 seed, Bengals playing for 2 seed and knocking Bills to 3 seed

Bills lose, Bengals win - Both teams playing for 2 and 3 seed

Bills lose, Bengals lose - Both teams playing for 2 seed, Bengals playing for division and 3 seed.

I think it's more likely the Bills and Bengals will play next week

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

The Bills have been fighting the football God all season. This a-hole football God could start making things right… with Hamlin walking out of the hospital soon.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.