TUA in Concussion Protocol Again!

wppete

10 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

The part they missing is... Tua went to the teams Doctors... not the other way around.

Well that's what we were told, but now it sounds like the team noticed something and sent Tua to be checked on, not that he voluntarily admitted concussion symptoms. The Dolphins are developing a nasty reputation as a team that hides things and changes their story around when it comes to concussions.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well that's what we were told, but now it sounds like the team noticed something and sent Tua to be checked on, not that he voluntarily admitted concussion symptoms. The Dolphins are developing a nasty reputation as a team that hides things and changes their story around when it comes to concussions.

I am saying and their fan base is saying all this was after the fact

Now changing their story. 

first it was “Tua saw Drs on his own because Monday he had Symptoms”. 

Today it was “we told Tua to see Dr after watching the inconsistencies on tape.”

probably the reality is everyone KNEW Sunday and kept him in the game. 

and people wonder why McD NEVER TALKS about injuries specially concussions. When your stories don’t line up day to day problems come. Specially from a team that likely hid the concussion in the Bills game. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

first it was Tua saw Drs because Monday he had Symptoms. 

Today it was we told Tua to see Dr after watching the inconsistencies on tape. 

The 3 INTs must have been the inconsistency.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just watched McDaniel talk about Tua. What an awkward smug little prick. 

A lot of Dolphin fans already want to move on from him. They didn’t like of the look of him smiling and laughing in the sideline when they were in the second half Sunday 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

A lot of Dolphin fans already want to move on from him. They didn’t like of the look of him smiling and laughing in the sideline when they were in the second half Sunday 

That’s what losing will do for you.  A month ago he was all over TikTok as the new “cool” coach and now he just sucks. 

Mike McDaniel is a clown, and he is running a full on clown show down in Miami.  I am not sure what anybody sees in this guy.  He is immature and seems in over his head, and is not a leader.  Hopefully he does not kill somebody before they inevitably fire him in a year or two.  

24 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just watched McDaniel talk about Tua. What an awkward smug little prick. 

Those are his defining characteristics.

The best part is that after McDaniel claimed that Tua self-reported his symptoms, Dolphins fans doubled down on how no one saw anything untoward happen during the game - despite the fact that someone had already tweeted out the play where he hit his head and posited it as a reason for his second-half troubles.  Now McNerd comes out and says the team saw “some inconsistencies” while watching film (read: “we saw where he hit his head and now we know everyone else saw it too”) and the fans are left to either double down again, or backtrack. 

McNerd talks way too much and thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room, and now it’s gotten him in trouble with the team, the fans, and quite likely the league.  You hate to see it.  But also… you love to see it. 

Just now, FLFan said:

Mike McDaniel is a clown, and he is running a full on clown show down in Miami.  I am not sure what anybody sees in this guy.  He is immature and seems in over his head, and is not a leader.  Hopefully he does not kill somebody before they inevitably fire him in a year or two.  

Allowing Tua to return in the 2nd half of our game was insane. Now he's on concussion #3 in less than a season and people today on the radio are talking retirement.  Miami's clever little nerd coach should take a page out of the Bills organization and how they protect their players. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

first it was “Tua saw Drs on his own because Monday he had Symptoms”. 

Today it was “we told Tua to see Dr after watching the inconsistencies on tape.”

and people wonder why McD NEVER TALKS about injuries specially concussions. When your stories don’t line up day to day problems come. Specially from a team that likely hid the concussion in the Bills game. 

Crazily enough Kelly told stories in his book about how he got concussed during a game once to the point he had to have Kent Hull call the plays ion the huddle for him for a few plays but he ended up finishing the game...amazing how it's gone from "I was so tough, I played through it" back in the day to outrage the player wasn't pulled from the game.  It's honestly really great to see and something the NFL has gotten much better at, although not necessarily of their own desire. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Allowing Tua to return in the 2nd half of our game was insane. Now he's on concussion #3 in less than a season and people today on the radio are talking retirement.  Miami's clever little nerd coach should take a page out of the Bills organization and how they protect their players. 

I would say that even allowing him to come back after just two weeks following that horrifying display on prime time in Cincinnati was just as insane, as was allowing him to fly back on the team plane that night.  What happened the other day was just a matter of time.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Crazily enough Kelly told stories in his book about how he got concussed during a game once to the point he had to have Kent Hull call the plays ion the huddle for him for a few plays but he ended up finishing the game...amazing how it's gone from "I was so tough, I played through it" back in the day to outrage the player wasn't pulled from the game.  It's honestly really great to see and something the NFL has gotten much better at, although not necessarily of their own desire. 

We saw it all the time and thought nothing of it.  In fact we celebrated it.  There were others too. Jim McMahon today says he remembers almost nothing from his playing days. But that was thirty years ago.  

Tua will not be their QB next season.  

And the problem with him sticking it to that franchise by saying I’m never playing another down for an organization that tried to replace me three times and never supported me is that his value plummets.  

This is all because of the deliberate negligence in response the “back injury.”

If handled properly he never plays Thursday vs the Bengals and we likely aren’t having this conversation today.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BRH said:

We saw it all the time and thought nothing of it.  In fact we celebrated it.  There were others too. Jim McMahon today says he remembers almost nothing from his playing days. But that was thirty years ago.  

I was just listening to the Andrew Peters and Craig Rivet hockey podcast, with a regular visitor Jeremy Roenick.

JR was joking (sort of, but also serious) when he was recounting a story from a game in the '90s and he said something like "Now remember, this is back in that period of my life where I don't remember much from head shots" or words to that effect.  Like an entire time period (multi-years) of his life is now just a blank.

He mentions that now and again.

He used to love to hit people and I can recall some absolutely ENORMOUS hits where JR was totally blown up and down for the count with a clear concussion.

I love that aspect of sports, but I don't want to see people become brain damaged either.  

I also love boxing, and that is even worse with the brain trauma.

So either we put player health ahead of entertainment, or we don't.

Probably the NFL should cease to exist for health reasons if we are being totally honest, but it will continue for a long time to come.

The thing to watch for societally is if the day comes when insurance companies will no longer insure scholastic youth football programs.  If THAT becomes a big thing, youth football will die, and when that happens, the NFL will die some time thereafter.

That might be 30 or 50 years down the road.  Or 5.  Or never!  I don't know.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I have heard a story over the years (that someone here can probably relay more correctly) where Kelly took a big hit and was basically concussed.

On a single drive, he kept calling the same run play over and over (like 5 or 6 times in a row) because it was the ONLY play he could remember, having just been concussed.

It was working, too, and we kept moving the ball downfield, so it all worked out OK...but that is still kind of crazy.

Having your "bell rung" used to be thought of as a part of the game.

My father was in a fraternity at Indiana University in the 1940s!  The star wingback of the team was in the same fraternity, and they all lived in the same huge, lovely, fraternity house on the old campus.  The wingback would run the ball a ton back then, and be so concussed after almost every game that it was just a regular thing for his fellow frat brothers (including my dad) to take turns "keeping an eye on him" all day and into the evening after home games back at the house.  They would even check in on him after he went to bed apparently!  

That guy is probably dead now, but I wonder how he was later in life.  Good God.  

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I have heard a story over the years (that someone here can probably relay more correctly) where Kelly took a big hit and was basically concussed.

On a single drive, he kept calling the same run play over and over (like 5 or 6 times in a row) because it was the ONLY play he could remember, having just been concussed.

It was working, too, and we kept moving the ball downfield, so it all worked out OK...but that is still kind of crazy.

My father was in a fraternity at Indiana University in the 1940s!  The star wingback of the team was in the same fraternity, and they all lived in the same huge, lovely, fraternity house on the old campus.  The wingback would run the ball a ton back then, and be so concussed after almost every game that it was just a regular thing for his fellow frat brothers (including my dad) to take turns "keeping an eye on him" all day and into the evening after home games back at the house.  They would even check in on him after he went to bed apparently!  

That guy is probably dead now, but I wonder how he was later in life.  Good God.  

I remember a game where Kelly got clobbered just before halftime, went out for a play, came back in, and hit Billy Brooks with the prettiest pump-fake 30-yard TD pass you ever saw.  After the game, he said “I couldn’t feel the entire left side of my body until after halftime.”

I was also at the game where Bruce almost killed Boomer Esiason because the Jets put a rookie LT on the field.  The kid twitched just before the snap and BOOM.  I actually thought Esiasion was dead for a second.  Boomer ended up missing seven weeks if I recall. 

And I was at the AFCCG where Bruce knocked Montana out.  That was a whiplash-type injury like Tua has had three times already this year.  To the Chiefs’ credit, he came out and stayed out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tua-tagovailoa-concussion-nflpa-initiating-new-investigation-nfl-says-qb-didnt-show-or-report-symptoms/

NFLPA investigating again. Which probably won't amount to anything, right or wrong. Likely more wrong.

Well, looks like another spotter is getting fired.  That's about it.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I remember that game...and it wasn't quite working.  After about the third time he called the same play Thurman Thomas stepped out of the huddle, looked at the sideline and waved his index finger in a circle next to his head in the universal symbol for "he's crazy."  Kelly was then called out of the game.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Recall with about a minute left in the Bills Giants SB, Kelly took a shot, bad enough he had to call a TO.  Likely today he'd have been pulled from the game.  Also thought without that hit Bills may have won the game as would have one more TO left at end, likely could have gained a fair amount more yards and maybe kick would have been good.

Wonder if they could install accelerators in players helmets.  Determine some type of value, if reading exceeds value, tape is reviewed and if player actually hit head on play, he's pulled at a minimum for evaluation and maybe above some value or if second time concussed he's out of game??

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Recall with about a minute left in the Bills Giants SB, Kelly took a shot, bad enough he had to call a TO.  Likely today he'd have been pulled from the game.  Also thought without that hit Bills may have won the game as would have one more TO left at end, likely could have gained a fair amount more yards and maybe kick would have been good.

Wonder if they could install accelerators in players helmets.  Determine some type of value, if reading exceeds value, tape is reviewed and if player actually hit head on play, he's pulled at a minimum for evaluation and maybe above some value or if second time concussed he's out of game??

Super Bowl #3 was even worse, he was concussed almost the entire second half.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:39 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Tua should call it a career. He seems like a really nice guy. He has his whole life ahead of him and it isn’t worth it. I feel the same way about Mitch Morse at this point. 

I think I agree with you about Morse. Six concussions is not good. 

When I had a concussion, even after I felt completely normal months later, if I bumped my head I was as woozy as if I were back in the minutes after the concussion. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, purple haze said:

It’s the spotters who are supposed to see these things and pull players out not the coach.  The spotters were supposed to be an independent eye to get around coaches and players not responding to potential concussions.  

The spotters are looking for signs after a head hit.  They arent going to pull every head collision off the field.

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I feel that’s exactly what they should be doing. If a guy takes a viscous hit to the head, they should absolutely be pulled out of the game and be evaluated. 

Then there will be players coming off the field all game long.  Tuas head collision wasnt even all that viscious.  This is a violent sport.  At some point players just have to play football or it actually will become the joke of flag football.

I'm all for player protections and protocols and things of that nature but there has to be a line somewhere.  Players get hit in the head on every single play of the game.

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The spotters are looking for signs after a head hit.  They arent going to pull every head collision off the field.

That’s a fair point. But Tua sustained his first two concussions this season in the exact same fashion with his head violently slamming into the field. A spotter could have noticed the similarity and erred on the side of caution after seeing his head hit the ground. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

That’s a fair point. But Tua sustained his first two concussions this season in the exact same fashion with his head violently slamming into the field. A spotter could have noticed the similarity and erred on the side of caution after seeing his head hit the ground. 

In fairness, I don't think many people noticed this one happen at the time; even the tweet which is doing the rounds was posted after Tua had thrown the interceptions. In comparison, straight after the incident against Buffalo, it was pretty obvious to everyone what happened and the repercussions should have been far greater than a sacking of a health professional.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Remember Seals destroying Hostettler? He wouldn’t have returned. Would have been Jeff Rutledge time and the Bills would have a Lombardi in their trophy case.

I have been a fan of Tua since the first time I saw him play at Alabama. His National Title winning pass was one of, if not the greatest experience I ever had in my decades of being a sports fan.

A healthy Tua is better than he gets credit for on this board which is 100% understandable. This after all is a Bills Board. Tua is also a wonderful person. He gave lots of money to charity and his religion. The kid went to Alabama because he wanted the exposure, hoping to get enough money to build his dad (a minister) a church.

That said, I hope that he never plays another game. It is not worth his health and well being. Tua would make a great announcer. He is smart, and just a very nice person. 

PS: I fell the same way about Morse, in that he came here with a very dangerous medical history. He too needs to step away and enjoy his life without becoming very sick. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Remember Seals destroying Hostettler? He wouldn’t have returned. Would have been Jeff Rutledge time and the Bills would have a Lombardi in their trophy case.

Was Rutledge gonna prevent our rushing defense from getting its ass handed to it all evening? I doubt it. 

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Was Rutledge gonna prevent our rushing defense from getting its ass handed to it all evening? I doubt it. 

Since Rutledge couldn’t throw the damned ball, yeah the Bills would have played the run a lot harder. So doubt it all you want but understand gameplans change.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Beast said:

Since Rutledge couldn’t throw the damned ball, yeah the Bills would have played the run a lot harder. So doubt it all you want but understand gameplans change.

Do you honestly think our game plan defensively was to stop Hostetler? Like he was ever a serious passing threat in the league? Do you recall that Giants team from that year? They were a running team before Simms got hurt and even more committed to it once he got injured. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Do you honestly think our game plan defensively was to stop Hostetler? Like he was ever a serious passing threat in the league? Do you recall that Giants team from that year? They were a running team before Simms got hurt and even more committed to it once he got injured. 

If you think for one second the Bills gameplan wouldn’t have changed if Rutledge took the field I don’t know what to tell you. Heck, the Fiants passing game was every bit as good as ours was that night. And it wouldn’t have been with Jeff Rutledge taking snaps.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.