TUA in Concussion Protocol Again!

wppete

I actually think McDaniels had the potential to be a grow into a pretty competent coach. He was certainly maximizing Tua. 

But if you’re Miami I think you have to move on. At least as a fan I would want to. He is a huge part of Tua facing serious long term brain injury. 

Just from a people perspective I wouldn’t want that in house. Let alone in charge. Intentions be damned. 

59 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Dude is headed down a very, very dark road, even if we don't see it soon. Same with Morse, I fear.

I very much hope that intensive research continues on CTE and developing treatments for it. I will honestly never forget him getting concussed like 5 days after we played the Phins, and he went into a fencing posture. These guys are paying a very, very fûcking high price.

They are paying a high price but they can pull the plug at any time they wish. If they want to play nobody should stand in their way if they are medically cleared to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

This certainly was missed by those paid to look for it but there is a safeguard. The player it actually happened to. I get not wanting to come out of a game but I don’t think the player should be let off the hook either, especially when it’s his health at risk. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Tua seems like a guy you would want to hang with .. unlike Mac and Zach .. but 2@3 concussions in a year does not sound like he will be long for the NFL.

I know, I know, Dolphins, their fans, all that. 

But ... Tua seems like a really great kid, and I hate to see this happening to him. This one is definitely at least one too many. He's got to step aside for the rest of this year and not think about coming back until he has 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions on whether he can continue to play without endangering his future well being.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

A lot of us scoff at the Bills taking so long to bring injured players back but I would bet that if Josh got a concussion McClappy and the organization would put his health ahead of any game.

I was just having this conversation. It feels like it revolves mainly around Tre. But we have a QB with an injured throwing elbow, Poyer wasn’t allowed on an airplane, Beasley played with a broken leg, Morse is going to get cleared to play another NFL game after 6 NFL concussions alone. 

I don’t think McDermott is as careful as some would like him to believe. 

McDaniels is just risking Tua’s life. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The total disregard for his safety is crazy, almost criminal imho. Concussions are bad, but taking another blow to the head while already concussed is exponentially bad. Like him or not, people play better without brain damage. He should be shut down for the rest of the season. I feel like this guy is a prime candidate for long-term CTE issues. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

I was just having this conversation. It feels like it revolves mainly around Tre. But we have a QB with an injured throwing elbow, Poyer wasn’t allowed on an airplane, Beasley played with a broken leg, Morse is going to get cleared to play another NFL game after 6 NFL concussions alone. 

I don’t think McDermott is as careful as some would like him to believe. 

McDaniels is just risking Tua’s life. 

Good points, I guess it is just the seriousness of this issue that is so upsetting and makes the other injuries pale in comparison. The handling of Morse is a concern.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I mean this is really only hurting himself honestly - we saw what happened earlier in the season after his "back injury" - bottom line it really just shows that he gets concussed very easy -  but why does this guy's head always break the fall? 

So for counting purposes is that 2 this year or 3? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BlazinBill said:

I mean this is really only hurting himself honestly - we saw what happened earlier in the season after his "back injury" - bottom line it really just shows that he gets concussed very easy -  but why does this guy's head always break the fall? 

So for counting purposes is that 2 this year or 3? 

2 acknowledged and one "back injury".

• Thank you (+1) 1

It is the culture of the game.  The best ability is availability, right?  Tua is giving everything he he has to prove he's worthy of a second contract and a franchise keeper.  He has heard all the criticisms about his lack of physical tools and the stories of the owner trying to replace him.  I think he is fighting an early end to his NFL career so he is not going to willingly succumb to any obstacle.  The back injury loophole was his go to story to keep playing.  He knows that he can't show any signs of weakness.  These 3 concussions were not abnormal football plays.  The hip fracture was not an abnormal play either.  He is fighting the perception that he isn't physically suited to be an NFL QB.  Often perception is reality.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Dude is headed down a very, very dark road, even if we don't see it soon. Same with Morse, I fear.

I very much hope that intensive research continues on CTE and developing treatments for it. I will honestly never forget him getting concussed like 5 days after we played the Phins, and he went into a fencing posture. These guys are paying a very, very fûcking high price.

Every single player reacts to concussions differently… Some get one and they’re messed up for life

Some people get 5 and it doesn’t affect their long-term health… Tua becoming Stiff and twitching was definitely scary 

I lost my college football career because of concussions…. You can see CTE brain damage in guys like Antonio Brown

Thankfully Morse doesn’t seem to be in that category as of now

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

2 acknowledged and one "back injury".

That's what I thought but wanted to clarify - wasn't positive if the dolphins admitted the first  after the fact and the real 2nd one caused that scary curling hand

Thank you!

Edited by BlazinBill

I honestly hate the Dolphins, but Tua is a genuinely nice guy which is a bit frustrating.

Concussions are no joke and the more you have the more easily you get more, it is my worry with Morse too who I also think is a class act.

At the end of the day it is a game, and players have to think about family and all that living they still have in front of them when they hang up the cleats. You would hope that they are getting sound medical advice about when they should walk away to avoid setting the stage for having to live with long-term mental of physical health issues.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Good points, I guess it is just the seriousness of this issue that is so upsetting and makes the other injuries pale in comparison. The handling of Morse is a concern.

Him being the Miami coach aside, I think McDaniels does a good job of x’s, o’s and prep. He’s really botched the Tua concussion issues, to the extent that he’s endangering his safety both short and long term.

If this were my team I would want him out of the building. I don’t care if we were 17-0.

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Beast said:

This certainly was missed by those paid to look for it but there is a safeguard. The player it actually happened to. I get not wanting to come out of a game but I don’t think the player should be let off the hook either, especially when it’s his health at risk. 

Totally agree - I will say I do not believe in any way the NFL or the spotters “missed” this.  They are not checking or pulling every person that bangs their head (turf, Helmet to helmet, or helmet to something like knee) - they are looking for actions afterwards - stumbles when standing up, fencing posture, any kind action that shows an issue and there were simply none of those.  (unlike the Eagles WR that showed some “fencing”).

What failed Tua is his teammates, HC, and Offensive staff that talked with and met with him after that play.  If even the slightest bit was off - they need to help take care of their teammate.  

Most of all I agree with @Beast - the player must take responsibility for this also.  In the end the best person to diagnose a head injury is the player himself saying something and then allowing the medical team to diagnose it in the moment.  The Buffalo game was a fiasco, but the player himself lied to the medical team about his injury and that caused the compounding of the situation.

Now if it turns out - he felt nothing/fine during the game and the headaches and symptoms came up today - then there is very little you can do to the team - he showed no signs or symptoms.  If it turns out that he did have signs and symptoms reported to the team or coach - then the Dolphins should be hammered with fines and loss of draft picks for letting him play, but my guess is everything will fall on the fact that nothing was noted or said during the game as he would of kept quiet to keep playing.

The next question is clearance and playing - after the second major concussion many people thought he should sit out the rest of the year.  Now here we are with another potential concussion.  If it was my team - I would hold him out the final 2 games for sure - if you can’t win either of the last games - tough you need this player to recover.  If he is cleared and you make the playoffs - It should be up to him at that point to play again or not, but I would allow him to rest for a couple of weeks minimum.

My gut tells me he will clear protocol and want to play and the Dolphins are going to let him play to try and get a shot at the playoffs- even if it potentially causes his career to be shorter because as a team they do not seem to care.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 4

People blaming Tua have it wrong on this one. He may not have realized he was concussed. Since it wasn't as crazy as the last one where he totally locked up, the symptoms may not have been apparent to him. I think the real problem is that prior concussion wasn't given a lot of rest time and he may just be susceptible.

• Like (+1) 4

I saw this out of the corner of my eyes live and said to my wife that he whacked his head on the ground. Was amazed at not seeing any replay of it but sadly not shocked about him in protocol. However I am shocked and disappointed that he wasn’t put in this protocol during the game! This kids brain is being scrambled and not being caught or team isn’t in his best interest! Sad actually 

As much as I really dislike the Dolphins and the hype around Tua, I don't want to see a career go down like this. I swear Tua has no idea how to take a hit/ fall and brace himself. It seems like every other hit he takes his head or back slams the turf without him defensively bracing himself. How does that happen? I mentioned this after his 'first' (we know it was second) concussion this year.

He is in protocol again, why on Earth was he allowed to keep playing (again) this week after another 'back injury' type hit? Miami is starting to look negligent. At some point does the NFLPA or league itself look into how Miami is handling injuries, especially head injuries?

At some point a guy has to be protected for himself, and yes this goes for Morse as well. I have been hopeful and vocal about Buffalo drafting a high profile C like Humprhey or Linderbaum each year since Morse started getting more here. At least with the Bills we don't put him back out there when it is apparent he has another one. Still not thrilled with it personally.

Hope both guys are ok long term.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Totally agree - I will saw I do not believe in any way the NFL or the spotters “missed” this.  They are not checking or pulling every person that bangs their head (turf, Helmet to helmet, or helmet to something like knee) - they are looking for actions afterwards - stumbles when standing up, fencing posture, any kind action that shows an issue and there were simply none of those.  (unlike the Eagles WR that showed some “fencing”).

What failed Tua is his teammates, HC, and Offensive staff that talked with and met with him after that play.  If even the slightest bit was off - they need to help take care of their teammate.  

Most of all I agree with @Beast - the player must take responsibility for this also.  In the end the best person to diagnose a head injury is the player himself saying something and then allowing the medical team to diagnose it in the moment.  The Buffalo game was a fiasco, but the player himself lied to the medical team about his injury and that caused the compounding of the situation.

Now if it turns out - he felt nothing/fine during the game and the headaches and symptoms came up today - then there is very little you can do to the team - he showed no signs or symptoms.  If it turns out that he did have signs and symptoms reported to the team or coach - then the Dolphins should be hammered with fines and lost of draft picks for letting him play, but my guess is everything will fall on the fact that nothing was noted or said during the game as he would of kept quiet to keep playing.

The next question is clearance and playing - after the second major concussion many people thought he should sit out the rest of the year.  Now here we are with another potential concussion.  If it was my team - I would hold him out the final 2 games for sure - if you can’t win either of the last games - tough you need this player to recover.  If he is cleared and you make the playoffs - It should be up to him at that point to play again or not, but I would allow him to rest for a couple of weeks minimum.

My gut tells me he will clear protocol and want to play and the Dolphins are going to let him play to try and get a shot at the playoffs- even if it potentially causes his career to be shorter because as a team they do not seem to care.

I hope this doesn’t happen. If it does I hope the league steps in before hand to stop it. That would be insane. But not out of the realm of possibility for big money American football. 

Back when he got his first 2 big head hits, experts said he should definitely not return THIS SEASON.

And that lasted only a few games and he was back.  Now he gets a more gentle smack on the back of the head and like that he has another concussion---and yes, the protocol process failed again.

Should never have returned to the Packers game.

He has to be doing long term damage and he will continue to get these, only they will occur more easily.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.