Week 17: Bills at Bengals on MNF

Beck Water

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It probably was a message board overstatement, but people like Skip Bayless and Mina Kimes are almost giddy the morning after Josh has a bad game. Bayless was saying that he would take Baker Mayfield over Josh Allen until earlier THIS SEASON. Mike Tannenbaum still says that he would take Justin Herbert over Josh. The reason for all this is because they want to have their draft night takes proven right. 

Why would anyone listen to Skip Bayless? I don't even know who Mina Kimes is and don't care their opinion

11 minutes ago, Process said:

Poyer's been on the report for weeks I'm assuming he's fine to play. 

Basham sucks there is probably zero drop off to Kingsley.

I’m always rooting for bogey, but Kingsley made an in mediate impact sometimes you just find those guys

2 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Skip Bayless is a 💩

Mina is hot though

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What does this even mean?   His actions don't align with these statements.  

Dane Jackson has struggled all year.  I get that they trust him and he's usually in good position to make the play... but just hasn't.   

Kaiir Elam has made some noticeable plays in limited snaps and from all the "watch the tape" guys, his play on the field is pretty solid.  

Far be it for me to question this staff on the secondary, but the Elam/Benford/Jackson stuff has been annoying, to say the least. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Process said:

Poyer's been on the report for weeks I'm assuming he's fine to play. 

Basham sucks there is probably zero drop off to Kingsley.

Has Poyer been on the report for weeks with a knee? 

I looked

Not on injury report since Week 12, up until last week when he missed 2 days of practice

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Has Poyer been on the report for weeks with a knee? 

I looked

Not on injury report since Week 12, up until last week when he missed 2 days of practice

Yea you're right it was just last week. Still I think it's a safe assumption that he's playing.

22 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Basham is a major disappointment. At least there is some hope for Kingsley.

Jonathan played 29 snaps

Had 1 tackle, for a loss

Basham has been averaging 40% of the snaps in 14 games.  Has 18 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, 5 QB hits, 2 sacks, 2 PD, and a fumble recovery

Now maybe you're correct and Jonathan can do as well

But he needs to come up with some game-impacting plays to prove it

Joe Buck on calling Bills-Bengals, the biggest ‘Monday Night Football’ game in decades

Joe Buck jogs his memory and the answer is clear: He has never called an AFC regular-season game with this much on the line.

With he* and Troy Aikman’s first year in the “Monday Night Football” booth concluding in a couple of weeks, the duo gets a massive New Years gift: The Bills (12-3) traveling to Cincinnati to play the Bengals (11-4) on Monday night, with a later-than-normal 8:30 p.m. ET kickoff. The teams’ combined 23 wins is tied with Denver and San Francisco in 1997 for the most ever wins entering a “Monday Night Football” broadcast. The game has massive implications for both teams given the No. 1 seed in the AFC is still undecided. It’s also a showcase between two of the game’s best quarterbacks — Josh Allen and Joe Burrow.

“We’ve (he and Aikman) never called a game in the AFC with this much on the line in our 21 years,” Buck said this week. “You hoped when the schedule came out that it would come down to something like this, but there’s so many different factors involved that rarely does it get there, whether it’s an injury or one team doesn’t play as well as you think it will. But this feels like an AFC Championship Game to me. I was just thinking about the game, and I got that rush of nerves and excitement that I would typically get the week of the Super Bowl. It was a great feeling to have.”

https://theathletic.com/4035653/2022/12/29/joe-buck-bills-bengals/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

* - Pointing this out because it never ceases to amaze me how people who are paid to write and/or speak in the media cannot grasp when to use he vs. his.  (Richard Deitsch is a media reporter for The Athletic. He previously worked for 20 years for Sports Illustrated, where he covered seven Olympic Games, multiple NCAA championships and U.S. Open tennis. Richard also hosts a weekly sports media podcast.)

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Is beating New England supposed to be this great thing. All of a sudden they suck this year and they damn near lost it.

Maybe not a great thing but still it's a really good win for the Bengals. It's not easy going into Foxboro in December. NE was and is fighting for a playoff spot and their defense is good. Let's not make it like it was a nothing burger. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Joe Buck on calling Bills-Bengals, the biggest ‘Monday Night Football’ game in decades

Joe Buck jogs his memory and the answer is clear: He has never called an AFC regular-season game with this much on the line.

With he* and Troy Aikman’s first year in the “Monday Night Football” booth concluding in a couple of weeks, the duo gets a massive New Years gift: The Bills (12-3) traveling to Cincinnati to play the Bengals (11-4) on Monday night, with a later-than-normal 8:30 p.m. ET kickoff. The teams’ combined 23 wins is tied with Denver and San Francisco in 1997 for the most ever wins entering a “Monday Night Football” broadcast. The game has massive implications for both teams given the No. 1 seed in the AFC is still undecided. It’s also a showcase between two of the game’s best quarterbacks — Josh Allen and Joe Burrow.

“We’ve (he and Aikman) never called a game in the AFC with this much on the line in our 21 years,” Buck said this week. “You hoped when the schedule came out that it would come down to something like this, but there’s so many different factors involved that rarely does it get there, whether it’s an injury or one team doesn’t play as well as you think it will. But this feels like an AFC Championship Game to me. I was just thinking about the game, and I got that rush of nerves and excitement that I would typically get the week of the Super Bowl. It was a great feeling to have.”

https://theathletic.com/4035653/2022/12/29/joe-buck-bills-bengals/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

* - Pointing this out because it never ceases to amaze me how people who are paid to write and/or speak in the media cannot grasp when to use he vs. his.  (Richard Deitsch is a media reporter for The Athletic. He previously worked for 20 years for Sports Illustrated, where he covered seven Olympic Games, multiple NCAA championships and U.S. Open tennis. Richard also hosts a weekly sports media podcast.)

What do you get out of correcting grammar? I’ve noticed you do it here often. What does the proper or improper use of grammar mean for you specifically? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Success said:

KC very likely wins out.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that quite a bit of this team's SB hopes lay in the balance on Monday night.  It's not dramatic to say that. The differences between the top 3 AFC teams are so thin - homefield, and getting the extra week, are crucial this season.

Of course a championship is still possible if the Bills lose.  But it goes from being a mild incline, to a pretty steep mountain.  This is such a big, big game.  I want KC to have to make that trip to Buffalo.

Agreed.  Monday night is massive.  While an L doesn’t mean our season is over by any means, it almost halves our chances of making the SB imo.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What do you get out of correcting grammar? I’ve noticed you do it here often. What does the proper or improper use of grammar mean for you specifically? 

It makes me feel whole.  Sometimes it even arouses me.  Other times, it makes me crave a Mr. Goodbar.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

High chance of re-occurrence during the game...calf injuries don't heal that quickly...much like hamstrings they may feel fine uintil you actually make a sudden movement one time and then it re-injures it worse.

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Morse looks like he is ready for riding the short bus.

31 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Jonathan played 29 snaps

Had 1 tackle, for a loss

Basham has been averaging 40% of the snaps in 14 games.  Has 18 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, 5 QB hits, 2 sacks, 2 PD, and a fumble recovery

Now maybe you're correct and Jonathan can do as well

But he needs to come up with some game-impacting plays to prove it

You always get me with the damn statistics 🫤. I am going more with the unscientific eyeball test.😀

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Classic overthinking. It sounds wrong, so it must be right. Advice: rewrite that sentence so it isn't so awkward and avoid the problem.

Larger picture: what happened to editors? Answer: the big rush to get out "breaking news" online ("Breaking: Joe Buck excited about calling MNF game!") there's no time for one. The Athletic is now owned by the NYT. The grey lady has given up too. The New Yorker is the last lady standing.

32 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Audience Reaction GIF by Originals

"I just SMH over such deplorable English  ... "

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Maybe they are going back to the blue over white throwbacks. It's been a long time since they wore those. Or the 90's jerseys would be another choice. I know we play Dallas at home next year. For that game I hope the Bills wear white. Dallas doesn't like wearing their blue jerseys.

we could wear clown suits and beat Dallas.  I’m really not that concerned about what Dallas wears.  That’s a ‘70s thing. 

1 hour ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Skip Bayless is a 💩

Speaking of that:

Thad Brown ought to hang it up if he's got nothing better to do than quote Nick Wrong

I broke it down elsewhere that 4 (now 5, after last Saturday) of Allen's fumbles are on center exchange.  6 are strip sacks.  2 on runs.

Now at least one of the center exchange was on Allen, and a couple of the strip sacks were on Allen fighting too hard to extending the play instead of taking the easy yards and living to play another down.

But a lot of those fumbles need to be cleaned up elsewhere than Allen - not whiffing blocks, cleaner center exchange (harder when injuries force us down to our 3rd string center).  And those are fumbles, not fumbles lost.

Thad Brown really should know better than to parrot as biased a media show as "First Things First", without at least doing some independent thinking.

PS if we want to tut-tut over 2 of 3 losses being 2 INT games, let's be sure to tut-tut over 3 wins being 2 INT games

12 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Morse must have had a very minor concussion to have cleared protocol already. Or possibly they pulled him as a precaution because of his history.

Huh?  It's been since 12/17, 12 days.  The average time in 2012 to 2015 was 19 days to RTP, so Morse will be back out there in 17, just a bit less than average.

What interests me is that the last 2 steps of concussion protocol ostensibly involve practice: "position specific drills" (at the end of which he must clear neurocognitive evaluation and balance checks) and then full practice, including contact.

So if Morse has cleared before practice today, that would kind of imply that the facility has been open, and that the Bills have been in the facility, training, the last couple days. 

Nothing illegal about that - the driving ban in Orchard Park was lifted on Monday I believe - but McDermott gave his patented "I'm not going to go into all that" when pressed for details about what the Bills had cancelled or rearranged due to the weather.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.