Morse and Basham Out For Chicago Game

Robert James

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Morse out hurts a lot. Guy is the lynchpin of the line. I think center has to be an extremely high off season priority. 

We may get away without Morse in Chicago, but he'd be a tremendous loss if he can't play in Cincinnati.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 10

We all knew (or should have known) Morse would be out at least this week.  Van Roten played ok once he settled in last Saturday night, so it may be that they keep him at C and let Bates return to his RG spot so they are only replacing one and not two positions on the line.

• Like (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

We may get away without Morse in Chicago, but he'd be a tremendous loss if he can't play in Cincinnati.  

I think they'll be ok and whether he *could* go or not.. I suspect he'd be sitting out this one so he can play next week. 

7 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

What ever happened to that Prince guy?

Released in October during our spate of injuries, but we got Zimmer back.

Prince Emili was on the New Orleans PS last I knew

Sadly Zimmer would be signed in November by Miami off of our practice squad.

Buffalo Bills

Signed: CB Jordan Miller, DT Justin Zimmer

Released DT C.J. Brewer, DT Prince Emili

Edited by RocCityRoller

56 minutes ago, eball said:

We all knew (or should have known) Morse would be out at least this week.  Van Roten played ok once he settled in last Saturday night, so it may be that they keep him at C and let Bates return to his RG spot so they are only replacing one and not two positions on the line.

Only issue I have with Van Roten, which is a massive issue, is he has issue getting the ball to Josh when he’s under center. Other than that, I think he will be fine as a blocker

54 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Don't you think Bates would return to his usual,starting RG position, with Van Roten at C? Some continuity at least.

You're not asking me, but in previous games when he's available, Bills have preferred to move Bates to C and bring Van Roten in at G

It works better

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, wjag said:

Heard today that KC has the 3rd best OL as rated by PFF.  Buffalo is 28th...  ooof..

I think PFF ratings are to be taken with a box of Morton's (when it rains, it pours)

Consider:

Bills currently have the #4 offense on points (trailing Dallas by 9 points now), #2 for yards, #3 for Y/Play

Top-10 for pass Y/A, AY/A, NY/A

#8 for rush yards, #3 for rush Y/A

Does it pass the "logic test" that the Bills could achieve all that as an offense, even with Josh Allen being the Alien Creature we all know him to be, if our OL were actually 28th in the league?

I'll go with Greg Cosell, who uses the old-fashioned eyeball: our OL is average or a bit better than average, no more.  Josh Allen makes up for a lot of flaws.  But he doesn't allow for the Bills to have a top-10, even top-5 offense with a bottom-of-the-league line.

That, My Martian Friend, would be an "Earth Shattering Ka-Boom"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Have you seen Rotten snap the ball on shotgun. Josh better bring his shortstop glove.

• Haha (+1) 1

We can get by without Morse this week: the Bears D-line has 8.5 sacks TOTAL thus far this season. That's ridiculously low and could be a record.

But I'm not optimistic that after six documented concussions that he's coming back any time soon; and I would not be shocked if this was the end for him.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, eball said:

I excpect to see it the other way around. Last time Morse missed a game (think Detroit) they started that way and ended with Bates at C and GVR at RG. 

The big question is how healthy is Ike. Cos Bates at C and Ike at RG is our strongest combo with Mitch down IMO.

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think PFF ratings are to be taken with a box of Morton's (when it rains, it pours)

Consider:

Bills currently have the #4 offense on points (trailing Dallas by 9 points now), #2 for yards, #3 for Y/Play

Top-10 for pass Y/A, AY/A, NY/A

#8 for rush yards, #3 for rush Y/A

Does it pass the "logic test" that the Bills could achieve all that as an offense, even with Josh Allen being the Alien Creature we all know him to be, if our OL were actually 28th in the league?

I'll go with Greg Cosell, who uses the old-fashioned eyeball: our OL is average or a bit better than average, no more.  Josh Allen makes up for a lot of flaws.  But he doesn't allow for the Bills to have a top-10, even top-5 offense with a bottom-of-the-league line.

That, My Martian Friend, would be an "Earth Shattering Ka-Boom"

My eye test says it is closer to 28th than it is to above average. 28th feels a bit low.... but it is in the 20s not the teens IMO. It is the worst oline among Superbowl contenders except possibly the Bengals whose line is playing better rn (they have been lucky with injuries and the continuity has helped) but they still have a sub-par player at left tackle. The Bills actually have a perfectly good player at left tackle. It is the rest that makes you worry. 

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If Bates can go at center, we will be fine I actually like him a lot as a center.

That’s one of the reasons we matched the Bears’ offer sheet.  With the expectation of having a backup on those positions on the line.  Not to be a mere speed bump.  But to actually play the positions on the line where we needed depth so the next man up wasn’t just somebody off the PS.  Time for Beane to remind him to earn that money.  🤞

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.