FINALLY…Congratulations to Jordan Poyer

BillsFan619

Congratulations to Poyer on his first pro bowl. The leadership, the INTs, playing banged up but playing great, driving to the Chiefs game to help his team win, etc.

Very deserving and a long time coming. Way to go, Po!

I know it may not be possible but I hope we can keep him next year. We’re 10-0 with him in the lineup.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/four-bills-named-to-pro-bowl-including-first-time-honorees-jordan-poyer-mitch-morse/article_1d53000a-8192-11ed-a264-330b1f10ff83.html

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 19

37 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I know it may not be possible but I hope we can keep him next year. We’re 10-0 with him in the lineup.

In the last Poyer contract thread, we were in the minority.  Most wanted to get rid of him, too old, too expensive.  My ass.  We need to keep this guy.  That streak is no *****.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is the irony that often for guys like Poyer the critical acclaim (all pro) comes before the popular acclaim (pro bowl).

It is a bit like how certain actors do really worthy work and get Oscars or Globes and then that notorioty gets them the big paydays in the blockbusters.

Yeah, S’up wit dat?

Congrats #21! Very well deserved!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

In the last Poyer contract thread, we were in the minority.  Most wanted to get rid of him, too old, too expensive.  My ass.  We need to keep this guy.  That streak is no *****.

How?

It’s not a matter of wanting to keep him I think most of us would like to keep him we can’t keep everybody

6 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Congratulations to Poyer on his first pro bowl. The leadership, the INTs, playing banged up but playing great, driving to the Chiefs game to help his team win, etc.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/four-bills-named-to-pro-bowl-including-first-time-honorees-jordan-poyer-mitch-morse/article_1d53000a-8192-11ed-a264-330b1f10ff83.html

Jordan Poyer's wife thanks you, can we talk about more money now ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Good on you, Poyer!

He's been the heartbeat of this defense for much of the season.

He has been absolutely outstanding!  He's been very good since he got to Buffalo and great for at least 3 years and this year he has been absolutely outstanding!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

How?

It’s not a matter of wanting to keep him I think most of us would like to keep him we can’t keep everybody

If Beane wants him back, he'll make it happen.  I actually believe he'll be back.  Greg Thompsett from Cover 1 stated awhile back both Allen and Miller's contracts are prime targets of contract restructures to free up cap space.  Thompsett said they could free up over $50 million if they wanted (6 - 8 contracts).  He doesn't believe they would make all those moves.  One more thing about Thompsett - he stated the salary cap could go up quite a bit due to all of the gambling revenue that is pouring in.

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

If Beane wants him back, he'll make it happen.  I actually believe he'll be back.  Greg Thompsett from Cover 1 stated awhile back both Allen and Miller's contracts are prime targets of contract restructures to free up cap space.  Thompsett said they could free up over $50 million if they wanted (6 - 8 contracts).  He doesn't believe they would make all those moves.  One more thing about Thompsett - he stated the salary cap could go up quite a bit due to all of the gambling revenue that is pouring in.

I agree with all of this.  I also think we could retain Poyer for 3 years at $10 million a year.  If it is a little more, so be it.  If we win the Championship, Poyer is a HUGE part of that, let's pay him.  

I don't think paying players for past performance is a good thing or the right thing to do.  But, Poyer has great years left in the tank and has been special since he got here starting this whole rebuild with McD!

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Manther said:

I agree with all of this.  I also think we could retain Poyer for 3 years at $10 million a year.  If it is a little more, so be it.  If we win the Championship, Poyer is a HUGE part of that, let's pay him.  

I don't think paying players for past performance is a good thing or the right thing to do.  But, Poyer has great years left in the tank and has been special since he got here starting this whole rebuild with McD!

Could you imagine this season without Poyer?  The Bills don't have depth at safety.  I believe this is what will drive the Bills to re-sign him.  Otherwise they have to sign an expensive free agent, which doesn't make sense to me, or spend a high draft pick which I believe the Bills don't want to do either.  

• Like (+1) 1

Congrats for sure.  I wonder if we can keep him for 2-3 more years, draft Hyde replacement and somehow get out of Hyde's contract.  Poyer seems the more important of the 2.  Although, if Poyer was out, perhaps we are 10-0 with Hyde.  We need another safety, for sure.  Big offseason for Bean coming up.  

not to go off topic, but I will.  CMC did not make the pro bowl.  Has to be on the list for biggest snubs of all time.  A RB is basically dragging that team into the post season (yes, they have a great D, but he has been on fire). 

12 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Congratulations to him.  He should have gotten it years ago.

Nail in coffin at his career with Bills.  Agent will try to use it such that he will be unaffordable for Bills.

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Could you imagine this season without Poyer?  The Bills don't have depth at safety.  I believe this is what will drive the Bills to re-sign him.  Otherwise they have to sign an expensive free agent, which doesn't make sense to me, or spend a high draft pick which I believe the Bills don't want to do either.  

With all the chatter about the safety depth, it sounded like they had some heir apparent waiting in the wings. I’m not seeing it.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We definitely need him and this season has been exhibit A. He's been great out there and has been a stabilizer for the defense.

I hope both sides can come to an agreement after the season, bro.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I could care less about the Pro Bowl. True Bills fans know how valuable Poyer has been over the years. A borderline elite safety in my book. 

Why borderline.  How many safety’s do you take before him?  He has been elite for awhile, we play way better with him in the game.  

15 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I think millers knee might put the slightest pause in creating extra dead money and reducing flexibility in how they can manage his roster spot in the back half of the deal 

I always thought he was a good player but seeing him since Hyde was injured is different. It's become even more obvious how good he is. I hope we can keep him but the Bills are about to enter a new financial zone next year ....... This is the nature of the beast in todays NFL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.