So, reading the board, we lost again. 3-11. Sigh.

ChicagoRic

5 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

We play like we did yesterday against the Chiefs, the Bengals or, if we get that far, the 49ers, Eagles or Cowboys and we get beaten. And there are weaknesses which we are relucant to or cannot address. If this was a one off, fine, but a lot of the issues shown yesterday have been persistent across the season.

An excellent win and a strong record this season is all well and good but improvement is required if we want to make and win the Super Bowl. I think that's all most are saying.

Are you referring to the Chiefs that barely beat the Texans in OT, the Eagles that barely beat the bears, and the cowboys that lost to the Jaguars!

We can't expect the Bills to dominate every game

On the flip side, there are deficiencies and obvious flaws that need to be fixed

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ticketssince61 said:

Are you referring to the Chiefs that barely beat the Texans in OT, the Eagles that barely beat the bears, and the cowboys that lost to the Jaguars!

We can't expect the Bills to dominate every game

On the flip side, there are deficiencies and obvious flaws that need to be fixed

Your final line is basically what I mean. And McDermott said as much too.

5 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

We lose to all those teams if we put up 32 points? Interesting. 

Exactly! These ppl must be new around here.  The daunting Chiefs that narrowly beat the 1 win Texans.

It's the NFL and it's December.  It's not easy to win ANY game. Bottom line.

You win any way possible this time of year 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Like Belichick rode Bradys coatails? This just in, elite QBs make HC's look good. Shocking. 

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Right, because Belichick never won anything before Brady ... oh wait.  And yes, on the whole, Brady definitely was the crucial component to Patriots success.  And let me know when Sean McDermott actually wins a Super Bowl with his elite QB.  Last year I saw McDermott choke a game away in Kansas City after the elite QB put the team ahead with 13 seconds left.  Sean McDermott doesn't belong in the same sentence as Bill Belichick or any championship-level coach.  Nice try.

• Eyeroll 1

35 minutes ago, BernieBill said:

Right, because Belichick never won anything before Brady ... oh wait.  And yes, on the whole, Brady definitely was the crucial component to Patriots success.  And let me know when Sean McDermott actually wins a Super Bowl with his elite QB.  Last year I saw McDermott choke a game away in Kansas City after the elite QB put the team ahead with 13 seconds left.  Sean McDermott doesn't belong in the same sentence as Bill Belichick or any championship-level coach.  Nice try.

What has Belichick won as a HC without Brady? 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think when you're as good as the Bills the expectations coincide with it. 

We all so badly want a Superbowl and we all know this might be our best chance at one. 

I also think we need to truly appreciate this winning streak. No team this season has a more impressive five game stretch of wins than the Bills. Browns were during a snowstrorm with no practice and a last second venue change. Lions are the hottest team in the NFL. This is followed by winning three straight division games. To win three straight division games this late in the season is brutally hard. Its that much harder when all the divisional opponents are 500 or better. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Governor said:

I was very discouraged after the game and felt really bad for Josh. There was a series towards the end where the coaching staff called a bunch of designed runs, not because they were changing things up, or saw something schematically, but because they knew the offensive line couldn’t block for 2 seconds for a pass play to develop. It felt like a total surrender and highlights the terrible job Beane has done over the years to protect the kid.

That can happen if your starting Center goes down and the backup is not very good.  Go Bills!

1 hour ago, HaldimandBills said:

I think when you're as good as the Bills the expectations coincide with it. 

We all so badly want a Superbowl and we all know this might be our best chance at one. 

I also think we need to truly appreciate this winning streak. No team this season has a more impressive five game stretch of wins than the Bills. Browns were during a snowstrorm with no practice and a last second venue change. Lions are the hottest team in the NFL. This is followed by winning three straight division games. To win three straight division games this late in the season is brutally hard. Its that much harder when all the divisional opponents are 500 or better. 

Can't agree more. After back-break consecutive losses to the Jets and Vikings, the Bills have mounted their own impressive 5-game winning stream with winning three on the road and taking care of business in Orchard Park   Does the team have flaws, injuries etc...Absolutely...and all teams do at this point of the season.  As winter sets in and the playoff's stretch arrives - the games become tougher; the margin of errors and victory are slim. There are no more blow outs!   Go Bills !

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I had to log off this site yesterday during the 3rd quarter.

Every time I read a post in the GDT it was crazy negative.

Teenage girls have more internal fortitude then some of the men on this board.

My apologies to teenage girls.

I have a love dislike relationship with game day threads. I love them when we re blowing teams out and dislike them when our team faces adversity. The negativity posts are prolific and are an anchor to any hope of turnaround. That is what really bothers me . In the middle of a closely fought battle like last night the fact that no game is completely over until the final seconds click off escapes a Lot of posters imo. BUCKLE UP fcol.

I think this season was entered into with such high hopes and hype, and the fanbase wants a championship so badly that a hint of their dreams being shattered  is seemingly just cause to lash out and call everything suck. Does a team which now holds a tie for the number 1 seed Suck? Of course not.  Are they perfect? NOPE. Have Key injuries happened YES.  

Do I have rose colored glasses and a glass is always half full kind of person? Yes admittedly so.  Are there mistakes and blown coverages and mistakes to be taken care of? Again YES. I may be an optimist but Im not stupid.  I happen to love this team AND the fanbase.   I would just prefer that people not  go livid at the drop of a hat, or even drop of a pass for that matter.  Perfection isn't possible. Improvement IS and those that don't think so for me thats a sad placee to live. Especially at 11-3

Yeah well that's my take. I guess I think this team can achieve greatness AND an NFL Championship. That's my mindset and Im sticking to it.

GO BILLS!~!~!!!!  

Edited by muppy

9 minutes ago, muppy said:

I have a love dislike relationship with game day threads. I love them when we re blowing teams out and dislike them when our team faces adversity. The negativity posts are prolific and are an anchor to any hope of turnaround. That is what really bothers me . In the middle of a closely fought battle like last night the fact that no game is completely over until the final seconds click off escapes a Lot of posters imo. BUCKLE UP fcol.

I think this season was entered into with such high hopes and hype, and the fanbase wants a championship so badly that a hint of their dreams being shattered  is seemingly just cause to lash out and call everything suck. Does a team which now holds a tie for the number 1 seed Suck? Of course not.  Are they perfect? NOPE. Have Key injuries happened YES.  

Do I have rose colored glasses and a glass is always half full kind of person? Yes admittedly so.  Are there mistakes and blown coverages and mistakes to be taken care of? Again YES. I may be an optimist but Im not stupid.  I happen to love this team AND the fanbase.   I would just prefer that people not  go livid at the drop of a hat, or even drop of a pass for that matter.  Perfection isn't possible. Improvement IS and those that don't think so for me thats a sad placee to live. Especially at 11-3

Yeah well that's my take. I guess I think this team can achieve greatness AND an NFL Championship. That's my mindset and Im sticking to it.

GO BILLS!~!~!!!!  

You're stronger than I am Muppy.  I refuse to subject myself to the childish emotions anymore on the GDTs.

10 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It's also completely possible to not be angry and negative AFTER A PLAYOFF CLINCHING 32 POINT SCORED WIN

Who is angry?

10 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

We play like we did yesterday against the Chiefs, the Bengals or, if we get that far, the 49ers, Eagles or Cowboys and we get beaten. And there are weaknesses which we are relucant to or cannot address. If this was a one off, fine, but a lot of the issues shown yesterday have been persistent across the season.

An excellent win and a strong record this season is all well and good but improvement is required if we want to make and win the Super Bowl. I think that's all most are saying.

I couldn't say it better myself. 👍👍👍👍👍

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You're stronger than I am Muppy.  I refuse to subject myself to the childish emotions anymore on the GDTs.

which is the boards loss my friend. You have a very knowledgable voice and it is missed. by Me at least. I have to shut it down at times too so I dont express a thought that I would later regret 😏 We all want Wins so I just try to take it all with a grain of salt and move past  banter I dont like as best I can. Realizing we all want that NFL  championship and badly indeed.

10 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

You act like the Dolphins are the Texans (who took KC AND Dallas down to the wire by the way.) If Tua plays well they are one of the best teams in the AFC. MIA were playing to their absolute full potential bc the division & perhaps their season were on the line and still got beat. Allen has proved he can win in a shoot out. The defense just needs to make stops when they need to which they did. Don’t fault them for an idiotic roughing the punter call. 

12 minutes ago, muppy said:

which is the boards loss my friend. You have a very knowledgable voice and it is missed. by Me at least. I have to shut it down at times too so I dont express a thought that I would later regret 😏 We all want Wins so I just try to take it all with a grain of salt and move past  banter I dont like as best I can. Realizing we all want that NFL  championship and badly indeed.

I'm not leaving the board.  Just staying away from the cesspool in the Gameday Threads.  They got to be too much.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillzFreak said:

But to be honest we have won 5 games in a row, and after every win its the same tired message at this point. "If we play like this against this team we will lose".  Look we are finding ways to win games and in this league the result is what matters and rightnow 11-3 feels good. Every team has flaws and yes the Bills have flaws to, but the over analyzing  of them on this board is ridiculous. We are one of the best teams in football and have a legitimate shot to win a superbowl. Every game isn't going to be perfect, but rightnow the amount of negativity on this board is tiring and in reality pretty stupid considering where the Bills are sitting rightnow.

Agree and disagree with your points.

The Bills have a legitimate shot to represent the AFC. KC, Cinci, and others seem beatable on any given day which includes the Bills. Is that ok to include the Bills? Or is that seen as negative? 

I disagree with your opinion on the negativity on the board. Often constructive valid criticisms of the coaches and players are valid and just. Yet, so many on here only see it in a negavite light. You may be viewed as a troll or not even a Bills fan.

Imho, there is nothing wrong with posters giving their input whether its negative or positive.  Truthfully, the same argument can be made that the positive sentiment here . For example, some predict Bills blowouts every game. That kind of sentiment here will never receive any criticism. I get that. 

Lastly, I'd like to address the fan base and the expectation of the Buffalo Bills in 2022. I think it's fair to say we fans had extremely high expectations for this team. I myself couldn't help but think this is the year! The constant media hype, Von Miller addition, added draft choices, player's rhetoric, and team unity to name a few. I think was one of the most anticipated seasons since the team of the 90s. Why am I going on this tangent? Because I think this plays into many people's mindset. Criticisms and negativity can get fueled by that mindset. For example, the Bills just made the playoffs. Are we fans happy with this season even if the Bills lose the first playoff game? Will you say hey it was a great season because the Bills finished the regular season at 13-4 and made the playoffs? Of course not! We are thinking AFC Championship game and Super Bowl.  With that high bar set comes high expectations and extra critical criticisms. Not sure why that concept is so difficult to understand and except...

11 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

If we matched our performance this week with the chiefs performance this week we would’ve won by 3 scores probably.  We probably would’ve beat the cowboys and eagles this week also

Pretty great offensive performance honestly considering we had a third string center for half the game 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

It’s a week to week league. What you did last week doesn’t carry over to the next week.

I don’t understand how fans don’t understand this yet. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

Possible Super Bowl liabilities:

Saffold- Turnstile

Singletary- slowest back in the NFL

Edmunds- lack of football instinct.

McD- challenging challenged

I think Cook is getting very comfortable out there.  WE don't give enough credit for Singletary for the extra effort on every run.  

Our front-seven needs to do better overall 

The problem is, we’re discussing our team in a vacuum if people actually looked around they would see the other teams are also struggling to be dominant over teams with less a record. You need to look no farther than the Chiefs who have actually lost recently then they go out and almost lose to a one win team

We all want our team to win by 100 points but that’s not realistic

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Saffold- Turnstile

Edmunds has been good/great all year.  
singletary seems criminally underrated around here too.  Saffold may not even be in the starting lineup if boettger returns which we’ll find out tomorrow. I would agree that saffold is very much not good though lol

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Edmunds has been good/great all year.  
singletary seems criminally underrated around here too.  Saffold may not even be in the starting lineup if boettger returns which we’ll find out tomorrow. I would agree that saffold is very much not good though lol

We really saw what our defense looked like whenever Edmonds wasn’t in there we need to make sure that we keep him

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

and what if the Bills team that played yesterday plays the Chiefs team that played today? Bills by 3 scores?

or the Eagles team that played today? Bills by 2 scores? The Cowboys team from today? Bills 60 Cowboys 3?

• Like (+1) 1

Great point OP.  There will always be overly negative fans, critiquing is all they know and I guess thats okay.

We were 7-6 last year at this time and ended up a play or two away from probably winning it all.  If we keep the 1 seed oh boy look out.

My only beef is Cam Lewis almost cost us another game with another mental error.  I love the kid, his story etc but he can't be trusted anymore. 

Fool me twice.

17 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

I had no idea football was played in a vacuum.

Let me guess….Texans, Jags and Bears > Dolphins.  The one win Texans are actually a lot better than their record shows.

13 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Saffold- Turnstile

As for Saffold, he recently tweeted something about being willing to do whatever it takes to stay on the Bills next year.  He was bragging about not giving up a sack or holding penalty, as I recall.  So who was that guy in Saffold's uniform against the Dolphins?

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s a week to week league. What you did last week doesn’t carry over to the next week.

I don’t understand how fans don’t understand this yet. 

Poor tackling is a persistent issue. 3rd and long is a persistent issue. Our offence going flat for swathes of game is a persistent issue since the bye (we're not going to score from every drive, but play calling and execution has seen more low moments post bye then before it).

And these are things which have carried over week by week. 3rd and long has now become a running joke.

We've done well so far, and our record is one which all but the Eagles would happily have. Looking back the Dolphins game was one of the most enjoyable of the season. But seeing similar issues crop up again and again is concerning, perhaps not for the Bears and Patriots, but more so for our game against the Bengals and going into the post season. And if we had lost on Sunday (little things went our way, and about time to) the concerns would be being discussed more freely than they are at the moment.

Edited by UKBillFan

On 12/18/2022 at 10:10 AM, ChicagoRic said:

Oh wait, that 11-3.  We won?  Again?  11-3 you say?  Excellent!

I guess I just got confused by the endless stream of:

The OC sucks.

Frazier sucks.

The defense sucks.

McKenzie sucks.

The tackling sucks.

Eff that.  This is a really good football team and a legit Superbowl contender.  Good teams win games, especially the close ones against talented teams in their own division.  Super happy today. 

multiple things can't all be true? Oh, well carry on then.

On 12/18/2022 at 8:10 AM, ChicagoRic said:

The OC sucks.

Frazier sucks.

The defense sucks.

McKenzie sucks.

The tackling sucks.

Eff that.  This is a really good football team and a legit Superbowl contender.  Good teams win games, especially the close ones against talented teams in their own division.  Super happy today. 

I get where you are coming from with the overreactions but most of what you said has a certain degree of truth to it and why there should still be concern heading into the playoffs and not a false sense of confidence about this team right now.

For me the biggest issue is still the offensive line play and inconsistency with the defense and those are 2 fatal flaws that can end a playoff run pretty quickly.

The good news is that most of the other teams in the AFC field have their similar issues to deal with including the Chiefs and Bengals, but those teams also keep winning so at some point something has to give so to speak when these heavyweight inevitably match up in the playoffs at some point.

On 12/18/2022 at 11:10 AM, ChicagoRic said:

The OC sucks.

Frazier sucks.

The defense sucks.

McKenzie sucks.

The tackling sucks.

Some people's entire fanhood is based on hating their team. The Sabres still have folks talking crap.

On 12/18/2022 at 8:10 AM, ChicagoRic said:

The OC sucks.

Frazier sucks.

The defense sucks.

McKenzie sucks.

The tackling sucks.

While I agree with your overall premise here, there are still some things to have some legitimate concerns about.  But yes, this place often feels like we lost even when we win and that is dumb.  

Lots of positives right now...we are winning games, even if they are gritty and close, we are finding ways to win.  We even won the Vikings game until we fumbled it away.  Nice to see Knox getting more involved in the passing game (although he did have 2 back to back drops this week despite having the best catch % on the team), nice to see Josh taking care of the football, and nice to see the defense make plays when it has to.  

But beyond just the fact we won, we also made them harder and closer than they needed to be in several cases.  And the things that led to it are also why some people still have some legitimate concerns for the playoffs.  I remain confident in this teams ability to beat anyone, but I also remain realistic that because of these concerns below, we leave the door open for several of these teams who will be in the playoffs to be able to cut our season short and send us home too.  

• Despite the stats, the offense isn't consistent and does a lot of shooting itself in the foot still with bad penalties, drops, and miscues.  
    • We lead the NFL in dropped passes.
  • Dorsey still is struggling in the second half after teams make halftime adjustments.  This is my biggest concern, we can't keep coming out so bad and flat in the 3rd quarter, better teams like KC, Cincy, or someone like Phi or SF in the SB can certainly exploit that.  
    • This is the entire reason games are so close, or why we lost games like the Vikings game for example.  Because our point differential in the 2nd half went from being the best in the NFL prior to the GB game, to one of the worst for a while.  
    • Dorseys lack of making his own adjustments is slowing the offense down after halftime and letting teams get back into games or take leads.  That is a dangerous game to be playing come playoff team.
  • Too much of our offensive production relies solely on Allen extending plays and receivers only getting open when they break off routes to come back to Josh when he is scrambling.
    • Point of this is that we are not seeing our receivers win on their initial route enough, and that has a lot to do with play design by Dorsey.
      • He is not scheming guys open enough and not dictating mismatches.  In the Miami game, on a key play they moved Hill inside to specifically get him matched up on Edmunds for an easy first down conversion because Edmunds can't hang with Hills speed.  We don't do enough creative things like this to get our guys open.  
  • Can our pass rush get enough pressure when we face guys like Mahomes and Burrow without Von? 
  • How long is Morse out, and if he doesn't come back, can our already struggling OL hold up well enough in the post season?

So yes, totally agree with you about us being 11-3 and to enjoy and appreciate it.  But it also does not mean we don't have some things that have been concerns.

These concerns above, while we have been winning, have made games much closer than they needed to be...and when you keep teams close who have guys like Mahomes and Burrow on the other side, worse things can happen.  I think that is what some of the perspective is.  Albeit, too many people are also over exaggerative and dramatic too about a lot of this stuff.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I had no idea football was played in a vacuum.

Let me guess….Texans, Jags and Bears > Dolphins.  The one win Texans are actually a lot better than their record shows.

I wonder if Chiefs fans are complaining about how that can’t beat the Bills if they play like they did against the Texans.  Or the Bengals fans after getting a 17-0 hole against the dysfunctional Bucs.  

I’d check, but I’m too lazy. Or rather, it’s the NFL, and especially this time of year, when the injuries pile up, the talent level delta is razor thin, and everyone has tape everyone’s scheme, the weather gets worse, everyone’s playing for either the playoffs or a job on a roster next year, the games do tend to get more competitive. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/18/2022 at 11:10 AM, ChicagoRic said:

The OC sucks.

Frazier sucks.

The defense sucks.

McKenzie sucks.

The tackling sucks.

Agree with this take.  As I sit here today in WNY during our holiday trip north to visit to my mother in law this week , I am surrounded by paper editions of the Buffalo News (yes actual newspapers still exist.. I come here to see them, ), pre game headlines in the sports section :  "working toward a relaunch", "Diggs needs another WR to emerge".  Post game headlines were also flat:  "Lewis makes critical mistake that opens the door", "Second Half was a debacle, until winter wonderland.. " or some such.   11-3 and you'd swear it was drought reporting .. wake up WNY, the Bills are freaking amazing and you'd never know it to read the local rags.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I agree with your overall premise here, there are still some things to have some legitimate concerns about.  But yes, this place often feels like we lost even when we win and that is dumb.  

Lots of positives right now...we are winning games, even if they are gritty and close, we are finding ways to win.  We even won the Vikings game until we fumbled it away.  Nice to see Knox getting more involved in the passing game (although he did have 2 back to back drops this week despite having the best catch % on the team), nice to see Josh taking care of the football, and nice to see the defense make plays when it has to.  

But beyond just the fact we won, we also made them harder and closer than they needed to be in several cases.  And the things that led to it are also why some people still have some legitimate concerns for the playoffs.  I remain confident in this teams ability to beat anyone, but I also remain realistic that because of these concerns below, we leave the door open for several of these teams who will be in the playoffs to be able to cut our season short and send us home too.  

• Despite the stats, the offense isn't consistent and does a lot of shooting itself in the foot still with bad penalties, drops, and miscues.  
    • We lead the NFL in dropped passes.
  • Dorsey still is struggling in the second half after teams make halftime adjustments.  This is my biggest concern, we can't keep coming out so bad and flat in the 3rd quarter, better teams like KC, Cincy, or someone like Phi or SF in the SB can certainly exploit that.  
    • This is the entire reason games are so close, or why we lost games like the Vikings game for example.  Because our point differential in the 2nd half went from being the best in the NFL prior to the GB game, to one of the worst for a while.  
    • Dorseys lack of making his own adjustments is slowing the offense down after halftime and letting teams get back into games or take leads.  That is a dangerous game to be playing come playoff team.
  • Too much of our offensive production relies solely on Allen extending plays and receivers only getting open when they break off routes to come back to Josh when he is scrambling.
    • Point of this is that we are not seeing our receivers win on their initial route enough, and that has a lot to do with play design by Dorsey.
      • He is not scheming guys open enough and not dictating mismatches.  In the Miami game, on a key play they moved Hill inside to specifically get him matched up on Edmunds for an easy first down conversion because Edmunds can't hang with Hills speed.  We don't do enough creative things like this to get our guys open.  
  • Can our pass rush get enough pressure when we face guys like Mahomes and Burrow without Von? 
  • How long is Morse out, and if he doesn't come back, can our already struggling OL hold up well enough in the post season?

So yes, totally agree with you about us being 11-3 and to enjoy and appreciate it.  But it also does not mean we don't have some things that have been concerns.

These concerns above, while we have been winning, have made games much closer than they needed to be...and when you keep teams close who have guys like Mahomes and Burrow on the other side, worse things can happen.  I think that is what some of the perspective is.  Albeit, too many people are also over exaggerative and dramatic too about a lot of this stuff.  

We can't put all the blame on Dorsey,  We don't know if the players are executing or not executing their tasks, Every team makes half time adjustments and sometimes it is purely the flow of the game. 

The games are closer because the other teams have playmakers too.  Miami had a strong running game and two WRs who were better than our DBs in their execution. However, I am sure their fans are screaming how Gesecki has not been involved in the offense or why the Dolphins did not run more in the 2nd half.  It is simply possible that the Bills tightened the run game and gave more opportunities for the Dolphins in the passing game and in turn the Bills defense played better pass defense in the 4th quarter.   

Enjoy the ride,  Go Bills !

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.