Jeremy White WGR……could be just me?

streetkings01

But does is seem like he tries too hard to play devils advocate when it comes to the Bills? He tries a little too hard to big up the Jets and Dolphins(especially Tua). Tries too hard at times to say obvious injuries or weather related issues aren’t weren’t really an issue etc. 

Maybe it’s just me……I tend to try to listen in only to hear Sal or guests, but it’s just something I’ve noticed with White lately.

Just now, streetkings01 said:

But does is seem like he tries too hard to play devils advocate when it comes to the Bills? He tries a little too hard to big up the Jets and Dolphins(especially Tua). Tries too hard at times to say obvious injuries or weather related issues aren’t weren’t really an issue etc. 

Maybe it’s just me……I tend to try to listen in only to hear Sal or guests, but it’s just something I’ve noticed with White lately.

Another "I'm the smartest guy in the room" type like Schopp

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I dunno, weather it's the morning show or the afternoon show I hear things I disagree with and things I agree with.  I honestly think it's all pretty decent radio.  they cover the Bills, talk about Bills related topics for the most part.  That's all I'm asking for..  I think the criticism of WGR is way over the top sometimes.  Just my opinion though.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 10

Devils advocate to what exactly?  The Jets and the Dolphins have both been good teams this year.  I heard him saying this morning that the weather wasn't a big factor yesterday, with the reason being that drops have been an issue in good weather.  I do think the weather probably contributed to some of the drops yesterday (Josh throws hard which is tough when it's cold and wet) but I don't think his take on it is outrageous or just being contrary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I happen to think that Jeremy is the smartest guy in that room. I listen to hear him and Sal. I don’t feel that Howard Simon has anything relevant to offer.

As an aside, if you’re not listening to Joe Marino’s podcast, you’re missing out. He’s informative, insightful and offers a format that accentuates analytics and insights from the Bills’ opponents each week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I dunno, whether it's the morning show or the afternoon show I hear things I disagree with and things I agree with.  I honestly think it's all pretty decent radio.  they cover the Bills, talk about Bills related topics for the most part.  That's all I'm asking for..  I think the criticism of WGR is way over the top sometimes.  Just my opinion though.

I’m in Jets/Giants country…….live about 40 minutes from MetLife…..I listen to WGR during work hours…….the criticism is definitely warranted.

Just now, ChevyVanMiller said:

I happen to think that Jeremy is the smartest guy in that room. I listen to hear him and Sal. I don’t feel that Howard Simon has anything relevant to offer.

As an aside, if you’re not listening to Joe Marino’s podcast, you’re missing out. He’s informative, insightful and offers a format that accentuates analytics and insights from the Bills’ opponents each week.

Been listening to Joes podcast for a couple years now….great listen!

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, it's his job to talk for 3 hours about this stuff every day. What else can he do? Sit there and cheerlead the Bills full time? It would be unlistenable.

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

When you are in a room with WGR Callers, it isnt hard to be the smartest guy there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, streetkings01 said:

I’m in Jets/Giants country…….live about 40 minutes from MetLife…..I listen to WGR during work hours…….the criticism is definitely warranted.

Are the NY radio shows down there that much better?  I used to tune into the Fan when I still lived in the Adirondacks back in the 90s (yes, we got it waaaay up north in the ADKs for some reason) and it didn't seem all that special.  But that was a long time ago.  I'm not being sarcastic, just curious as if you think the NY radio show personalities are that much better; and why?

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, it's his job to talk for 3 hours about this stuff every day. What else can he do? Sit there and cheerlead the Bills full time? It would be unlistenable.

When you are in a room with WGR Callers, it isnt hard to be the smartest guy there.

Agree mostly...some of the takes are just brutal and it's like you are listening to the logic and reasoning skills of a 5 year old.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Are the NY radio shows down there that much better?  I used to tune into the Fan when I still lived in the Adirondacks back in the 90s (yes, we got it waaaay up north in the ADKs for some reason) and it didn't seem all that special.  But that was a long time ago.  I'm not being sarcastic, just curious as if you think the NY radio show personalities are that much better; and why?

I only follow Bills related radio.

16 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I hear you. I used to listen to the morning show on Stream but stopped.  Jeremy thinks his takes are the gospel and all his modern day strategies are the best.  He's annoying. The Chargers coach can go for a 4th down and 3 from their own 25 yard line, midway through the first Qtr,,,,not make it, and ultimately lose a close game.  Jeremy will get on there and defend the call like it was 100% correct.. Lol.  

Now i just pull up segments with Sal C. or some guests here and there.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I like Marino...I listen pretty much every day.  I think he knows his stuff, but I also think, sometimes, his regimented format kind of makes the show a little dull.  More guests might help. 

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

I like Marino...I listen pretty much every day.  I think he knows his stuff, but I also think, sometimes, his regimented format kind of makes the show a little dull.  More guests might help. 

Completely agree with you.   I was a big Marino listener for a year or so, but I've backed off a bit because its the same thing every week.  I've also found that podcasts where it's only one host seem to be boring.    Joe B's podcast has become like nails on a chalkboard, just him droning on. 

11 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I hear you. I used to listen to the morning show on Stream but stopped.  Jeremy thinks his takes are the gospel and all his modern day strategies are the best.  He's annoying. The Chargers coach can go for a 4th down and 3 from their own 25 yard line, midway through the first Qtr,,,,not make it, and ultimately lose a close game.  Jeremy will get on there and defend the call like it was 100% correct.. Lol.  

Now i just pull up segments with Sal C. or some guests here and there.

Yea his take that running the football and turnovers don’t matter bugs me out.

Their all like that. I supposed its their job to drum up different conversation points but each one of them has grown some out of nowhere ego where their opinion is the be all end all of Buffalo Sports Talk.

Sal was incredibly likable early on when he first got his break, now he acts like hes an insider because he stands on the sideline when really he has no more of a scoop than what he is told by the team. Comes off arrogant to me now. 

Jeremy White thinks he knows everything.

Schoop and Bulldog could care less and would rather talk about things that interest them more.

Howard is a likeable character, seems down to Earth but talks too much and never takes phone calls(prob for good reason).

Etc Etc. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I dunno, weather it's the morning show or the afternoon show I hear things I disagree with and things I agree with.  I honestly think it's all pretty decent radio.  they cover the Bills, talk about Bills related topics for the most part.  That's all I'm asking for..  I think the criticism of WGR is way over the top sometimes.  Just my opinion though.

The criticism of every commentator/host/announcer is over the top. 

There's nobody today on TV or Radio that is universally loved.  A lot of people here have an issue with Collinsworth. There was a fair number of Dierdorf haters back in the day. Some can't stand Tasker.  I like all 3 of them. 

Chris Brown on WGR tries too hard to be a comedian, can be overly-animated with inflections that make my speakers rattle (any of you GR engineers heard of limiters or compression?) , and interrupts too often, but gotta give him credit for doing his homework and having good insight for someone who never played.

Most agree that Beth Mowens has an annoying voice.  But, if you read a transcript or used closed-caption for her, you'd realize she too has done her homework and is knowledgeable. Maddy's voice is not the best for broadcasting (I'm used to it now), but like Beth, she knows her stuff.  Besides, she seems like a really sweet and genuine person.

Madden and Cosell were not always loved before they became cultural and broadcast legends.

Maybe some throwbacks like Keith Jackson, Dick Enberg, or Merlin Olsen were rarely disliked. 

But, I agree that there's a lot of listeners who have issues with many of the personalities. It's their right.  I really don't, or if I do, I simply don't listen (Bulldog).

When I first relocated to Georgia in the 80's, the most Bills' info I often had access to was a 2-sentence blurb in that POS rag USA Today.  I'm just happy to have so much content that's specifically Bills-related, regardless of the messenger. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Most agree that Beth Mowens has an annoying voice.  But, if you read a transcript or used closed-caption for her, you'd realize she too has done her homework and is knowledgeable. Maddy's voice is not the best for broadcasting (I'm used to it now), but like Beth, she knows her stuff.  Besides, she seems like a really sweet and genuine person.

Female voices in general don’t really translate well to radio, I feel.  During the commercials on WGR whenever it’s a woman talking it always sounds like they have a lisp.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I honestly used to like him and met him a few times, where he was pretty cool. But he’s like those analytical types who have never played A down football who think you should just pass on every down and go for it e set 4th down. And he’s never wrong about anything. 

weirdly, I used to hate Schoop (met him and told him that and had a great conversation about it haha) but I like him more than Jw. He’s definitely mellowed over the years.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

To me, the post game follow-up this week has been inconsistent to the WGR brand. 

Schopp and his "analysis" is always don't punt, if the Bills call a run play it needs to be Josh Allen. 

Jeremy White today has banged the drum of the Jets are a really tough matchup for the Bills and he's starting to crack on the Bills are going to be a 30+ ppg elite offense. Normally, just like Schopp, he is the captain of the don't run the ball ship. 

I think this week, the WGR hosts have picked a narrative that the Jets are really tough, and no criticism of the Bills offense is valid. But normally, they are pass-pass-pass-pass-pass, never run, never punt. Running = conservative and we don't do that. 

I haven't heard a caller get through yet and either show give credit to a point made. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Wow, unnecessary shot at Chuck from Cheektowga.

• Haha (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

A pot calling the kettle black thread.

Smartest people in the room abound in here.

I swear that is like the 4th time I've seen the word "abound" used here in the last 24 hours in different threads by different posters.

Not a commonly used word so thought it was interesting.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

The criticism of every commentator/host/announcer is over the top. 

There's nobody today on TV or Radio that is universally loved.  A lot of people here have an issue with Collinsworth. There was a fair number of Dierdorf haters back in the day. Some can't stand Tasker.  I like all 3 of them. 

Chris Brown on WGR tries too hard to be a comedian, can be overly-animated with inflections that make my speakers rattle (any of you GR engineers heard of limiters or compression?) , and interrupts too often, but gotta give him credit for doing his homework and having good insight for someone who never played.

Madden and Cosell were not always loved before they became cultural and broadcast legends.

Maybe some throwbacks like Keith Jackson, Dick Enberg, or Merlin Olsen were rarely disliked. 

But, I agree that there's a lot of listeners who have issues with many of the personalities. It's their right.  I really don't, or if I do, I simply don't listen (Bulldog).

When I first relocated to Georgia in the 80's, the most Bills' info I often had access to was a 2-sentence blurb in that POS rag USA Today.  I'm just happy to have so much content that's specifically Bills-related, regardless of the messenger. 

Love this take overall... Especially the comment about limiters or compression :) so true, LOL! ... and you're right about Brown he does his homework better than most of them, even though most see him as a useless homer.

53 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Marino has the best pod out there in my opinion. I like the regimented format because he does his homework and backs up his opinions with a lot of good statistical info so I know what I’ll be getting. I find his takes reasonable and well thought out and maybe I like listening because I tend to agree with a lot of it.

The crossover pods used to be great but they have kind of sucked lately, and Joe has this tendency to sound like a cheerleader for the opposing team. Think Belichik during the SB years when he’d be asked about playing our garbage Buffalo teams. He’d make us sound like world beaters and like the Pats* would be lucky to win. That’s kinda what Joe has developed into this season.

Anyway, it’s a great pod, its only 30 minutes so fits right into my drive to work. Lots of good info, and there’s even a comedy segment once a week where he brings on “Doctor” Kyle Trimble to give his mostly wrong predictions on the injury front. “Ahh, I couldn’t really see the injury, might have happened in the second quarter, looks like an ankle or a gunshot wound to the thigh, might be day to day or the funeral is next week, let’s see if he practices”. Thanks doc

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Love this take overall... Especially the comment about limiters or compression :) so true, LOL! ... and you're right about Brown he does his homework better than most of them, even though most see him as a useless homer.

Good to hear it's not just me with the sound issues.

Maybe an Audacy thing.  I really enjoy Tasker's insight and colorful turn of phrase, but unless he's getting amped up about a subject, he can be a 'low-talker'.  So instead of straining to hear what he's saying, I turn up the volume, and Chris comes screaming into the mic with his 'high-voice' cranked up to 10 when he's adamant about something, so I have to turn it down....until Tasker comes back when I have to turn up the volume again, and hope Brownie doesn't surprise me with a screaming interuption.  Does anyone there know anything about levels. or do they just have the on-air talent do  'testing 1,2,3' at normal conversation levels, and then the engineers walk away?

And, it's only on the One Bills Live show I have that issue, so I presume we can point the finger of blame at whomever handles engineering at the stadium studios.

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Good to hear it's not just me with the sound issues.

Maybe an Audacy thing.  I really enjoy Tasker's insight and colorful turn of phrase, but unless he's getting amped up about a subject, he can be a 'low-talker'.  So instead of straining to hear what he's saying, I turn up the volume, and Chris comes screaming into the mic with his 'high-voice' cranked up to 10 when he's adamant about something, so I have to turn it down....until Tasker comes back when I have to turn up the volume again, and hope Brownie doesn't surprise me with a screaming interuption.  Does anyone there know anything about levels. or do they just have the on-air talent do  'testing 1,2,3' at normal conversation levels, and then the engineers walk away?

And, it's only on the One Bills Live show I have that issue, so I presume we can point the finger of blame at whomever handles engineering at the stadium studios.

yep they need to run the broadcast through EQ normalizing or compression. Since its on a delay already (6 seconds or wtvr it is?) I feel like this is possible :)

46 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Marino has the best pod out there in my opinion. I like the regimented format because he does his homework and backs up his opinions with a lot of good statistical info so I know what I’ll be getting. I find his takes reasonable and well thought out and maybe I like listening because I tend to agree with a lot of it.

The crossover pods used to be great but they have kind of sucked lately, and Joe has this tendency to sound like a cheerleader for the opposing team. Think Belichik during the SB years when he’d be asked about playing our garbage Buffalo teams. He’d make us sound like world beaters and like the Pats* would be lucky to win. That’s kinda what Joe has developed into this season.

Anyway, it’s a great pod, its only 30 minutes so fits right into my drive to work. Lots of good info, and there’s even a comedy segment once a week where he brings on “Doctor” Kyle Trimble to give his mostly wrong predictions on the injury front. “Ahh, I couldn’t really see the injury, might have happened in the second quarter, looks like an ankle or a gunshot wound to the thigh, might be day to day or the funeral is next week, let’s see if he practices”. Thanks doc

Yeah, the "banged up Bills" segment is brutal.  It sounds like Marino's talking with some random guy at a bar on Elmwood...  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Devils advocate to what exactly?  The Jets and the Dolphins have both been good teams this year.  I heard him saying this morning that the weather wasn't a big factor yesterday, with the reason being that drops have been an issue in good weather.  I do think the weather probably contributed to some of the drops yesterday (Josh throws hard which is tough when it's cold and wet) but I don't think his take on it is outrageous or just being contrary.

Meanwhile...

2 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Sal ain't too much better

38 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

?

Do you want a snowstorm on Saturday?  I'm all for some cold weather, but I don't need snow slowing down our offense and evening the playing field.  

I agree, most of these weather games even the playing field.  But i think Miami, and their flashy offense would really struggle in that.  Worse than Buffalo who have played in nasty weather before.  

3 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

He's not as bad as he used to be. His Josh Allen draft takes humbled him a bit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.